Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen

+4
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
steveschneider
8 posters

Go down

Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen  Empty Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 08:46

Was listening to American Fool and it dawned on me that John Mellencamp is ‘the boss’ of the Midwest.It’s the music of the farmer, the factory worker, and the band used to light it up in Bloomington so they know how to work a Big Ten crowd. I think in his prime (American fool through Scarecrow” I’d have to go go for the master of Heartland Rock. He was better at writing big choruses a crowd could sing along with.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen  Empty Re: Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-01-08, 08:49

I have a doctor appointment at 12 o'clock today so lunch will probably be a quick swing through Jimmy John's or something really unsatisfying today.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen  Empty Re: Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-08, 09:09

steveschneider wrote:Was listening to American Fool and it dawned on me that John Mellencamp is ‘the boss’ of the Midwest.It’s the music of the farmer, the factory worker, and the band used to light it up in Bloomington so they know how to work a Big Ten crowd. I think in his prime (American fool through Scarecrow” I’d have to go go for the master of Heartland Rock. He was better at writing big choruses a crowd could sing along with.
Scarecrow is a good record.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-01-08, 09:16

Motown Spartan wrote:I have a doctor appointment at 12 o'clock today so lunch will probably be a quick swing through Jimmy John's or something really unsatisfying today.

Jersey Mike's > Jimmy Johns
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 09:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Was listening to American Fool and it dawned on me that John Mellencamp is ‘the boss’ of the Midwest.It’s the music of the farmer, the factory worker, and the band used to light it up in Bloomington so they know how to work a Big Ten crowd. I think in his prime (American fool through Scarecrow” I’d have to go go for the master of Heartland Rock. He was better at writing big choruses a crowd could sing along with.
Scarecrow is a good record.

Do you have American Fool? I think it’s got Robert Sakimano written all over it. Seems like an album that would pair up nicely with a six pack of watery domestic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-01-08, 09:42

NigelUno wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:I have a doctor appointment at 12 o'clock today so lunch will probably be a quick swing through Jimmy John's or something really unsatisfying today.

I agree 100%. However, I don't have the time to drive 3 hours to the closest Jersey Mike's and still get back in time for my afternoon appointments.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-01-08, 09:43

I think my favorite thing about John Mellencamp is Lisa Germano.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Pervis Muldoon and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-08, 09:44

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Scarecrow is a good record.

Do you have American Fool? I think it’s got Robert Sakimano written all over it. Seems like an album that would pair up nicely with a six pack of watery domestic.
might have it downstairs somewhere. I do have Scarecrow on vinyl.

Along with the entire Springsteen catalog. Somehow I have two copies of a few of his records. Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen  2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-08, 09:45

NigelUno wrote:

Jersey Giant > both.

also, I can't lie - I kinda like a toasted sandwich from Potbelly, too.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 10:06

Rick Saunders wrote:I think my favorite thing about John Mellencamp is Lisa Germano.

Do you have an album of hers you’d recommend? I had no idea that Indiana had such a robust music scene back in the 80s. Pretty influential as well. Found a performance of Lou Reed playing with JM’s band back in the 80s in Bloomington. They blew the roof off the place and was a legendary gig. Farm Aid really made some good things happen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-08, 10:10

Speaking of Battle of the Bands, Lansing peeps, looks like Grewall Hall is doing one.

https://www.hall224.com/

Keep waiting for a show to jump out at me. Was thinking of going to Verve Pipe... didnt.

AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-08, 10:11

they also spent some time together at Bruce's house a year or so ago doing some collaboration. Pretty cool.

Battle of the Bands: John Mellencamp vs Bruce Springsteen  Johnbr10

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-01-08, 10:16

while you're waiting in line at Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mike's etc.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 10:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:while you're waiting in line at Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mike's etc.

Have a call at 10:30 but I can’t wait to hear this. Thank you!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-01-08, 11:43

steveschneider wrote:
Rick Saunders wrote:I think my favorite thing about John Mellencamp is Lisa Germano.

Do you have an album of hers you’d recommend? I had no idea that Indiana had such a robust music scene back in the 80s. Pretty influential as well. Found a performance of Lou Reed playing with JM’s band back in the 80s in Bloomington. They blew the roof off the place and was a legendary gig. Farm Aid really made some good things happen.

I have "On the Way Down from the Moon Palace" and "Happiness" for sure and loved them both back in the day. I haven't listened in years and, alas, really can no longer listen to much music.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 12:27

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:while you're waiting in line at Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mike's etc.

Have a call at 10:30 but I can’t wait to hear this. Thank you!

Gave it a listen. Glad they are both still doing it and like the mural admiration. Two legends that occupied a similar space in music back in the day. Nice tribute here -

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2024-01-08, 14:03

Mellencamp is downgraded 1.48 points in my ratings for being so morose and another 1.61 points for occasionally trying to disown some of early work and much of his early persona. Bruce is upgraded 2.77 points for continuing to produce strong output late in his career.

The other two members of the holy quaternity of major league heartland-sounding rock singer-songwriters are Tom Petty and Bob Seger.

Objectively, I'd rank them like this:

1. Springsteen
2. Petty
3. Seger
4. Mellencamp

Subjectively, I would put Petty ahead of Bruce.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2024-01-08, 14:07

Saw Johnny Cougar in Erickson Kiva....meh
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 15:06

Pervis Muldoon wrote:Mellencamp is downgraded 1.48 points in my ratings for being so morose and another 1.61 points for occasionally trying to disown some of early work and much of his early persona. Bruce is upgraded 2.77 points for continuing to produce strong output late in his career.

The other two members of the holy quaternity of major league heartland-sounding rock singer-songwriters are Tom Petty and Bob Seger.

Objectively, I'd rank them like this:

1. Springsteen
2. Petty
3. Seger
4. Mellencamp

Subjectively, I would put Petty ahead of Bruce.

Yeah, I think JM legacy is clearly the high level he achieved in the 80s. I like the guitar playing on his albums as they had that Rolling Stones style guitar weave going on.

Looking at your list there’s a lot of good music from those artists that pair up well with beer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-01-08, 15:17

Never been a bob seger fan. Too many of my friend's parent worshiped him. (all hourly GM guys)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2024-01-08, 15:23

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Never been a bob seger fan. Too many of my friend's parent worshiped him. (all hourly GM guys)

Some of his songs are too corny and the song Night Moves always creeped me out. I love his coked up high energy live album with the silver bullet band.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down