Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 NFL Draft In the D

+14
Zurn
Cameron
duffy munn
Trapper Gus
NigelUno
MSU addict
tGreenWay
Rick Saunders
GRR Spartan
kingstonlake
Motown Spartan
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
Nordic
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2024 NFL Draft In the D Empty 2024 NFL Draft In the D

Post by Nordic 2024-02-08, 12:15

Anyone going to the D for the draft? Hell yeah I am. I'm guessing the actual viewing is going to suck unless you somehow get some sort of hook up. But it is always fun to go downtown for an event and this stupid draft has always been a guilty pleasure watch. I was always jealous of drunk Jets fans in Radio City Music Hall.

Anyone got any plans? I registered at the below site. Let the spam begin.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/event-info/#:~:text=WELCOME%20TO%20THE%202024%20NFL,Registry%20is%20now%20open!

Sidebar: Travis and I will be releasing tSwill Mock Draft 1.0 after the Super Bowl. Please bookmark so you don't miss it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

2024 NFL Draft In the D Empty Re: 2024 NFL Draft In the D

Post by Nordic 2024-03-02, 18:10

WR Xavier Worthy, Tex with a 4.25 forty Shocked
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-03-02, 18:19

4.22 2nd run (unofficial) Shocked
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-03-02, 18:28

Lots of talk about the lions wanting to take a wide receiver and interviewing several.

Smoke screeeeeeeen. Look, you win the draft of the year award this week, teams are going to be watching what you’re doing. Get em thinking you’re interested in something so they can try to get out ahead of you for something you don’t even want and the guy you actually want drops a skooch.

Last edited by Travis of the Cosmos on 2024-03-02, 18:30; edited 1 time in total
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-03-02, 18:28

They also think you’re a fuckin wild card taking Gibbs last year so anyone they see you poking around is going to get their antennas up
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-03-02, 18:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lots of talk about the lions wanting to take a wide receiver and interviewing several.

Smoke screeeeeeeen. Look, you win the draft of the year award this week, teams are going to be watching what you’re doing. Get em thinking you’re interested in something so they can try to get out ahead of you for something you don’t even want and the guy you actually want drops a skooch.

Pretty good/deep WR class IMO
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-02, 18:37

Nordic wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lots of talk about the lions wanting to take a wide receiver and interviewing several.

Pretty funny how coaches always say, “but he has game speed”. Keon Coleman bombs his forty, but is measured as top speed running routes. And why do they have offensive linemen run the forty? WTF?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-03-02, 18:50

Because it’s fun to watch big guys run 2024 NFL Draft In the D 2599972566
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2024-03-02, 19:10

Blake Corum… 4.53 forty… wah wah
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2024-03-02, 20:06

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Pretty funny how coaches always say, “but he has game speed”.  Keon Coleman bombs his forty, but is measured as top speed running routes.   And why do they have offensive linemen run the forty?   WTF?

Seems like they could have some sort of 50/50 drill.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-02, 20:23

kingstonlake wrote:
DWags wrote:

Pretty funny how coaches always say, “but he has game speed”.  Keon Coleman bombs his forty, but is measured as top speed running routes.   And why do they have offensive linemen run the forty?   WTF?

Seems like they could have some sort of 50/50 drill.

Shuttle run.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2024-03-02, 22:50

Saw Keon Coleman ran a 4.61 forty / 1.54 ten yd split and a 38” vertical and the draftniks think it means he’ll drop out of the first rd. He measured 6’4”/215#.

Some team will be getting a steal if he goes past #32 pick.  All he did in college was catch the damn ball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-04, 09:32

I’m hearing that seven wide receivers and six quarterbacks are going to go in the first round of the NFL draft. Frankly, I hope the Packers somehow get JJ McCarthy or Drake as a back up but I’m pretty sure they’re going to add a receiver for Help
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2024-03-04, 14:13

GRR Spartan wrote:Saw Keon Coleman ran a 4.61 forty / 1.54 ten yd split and a 38” vertical and the draftniks think it means he’ll drop out of the first rd. He measured 6’4”/215#.

Some team will be getting a steal if he goes past #32 pick.  All he did in college was catch the damn ball.

Sounds like he runs faster than Steve Largent did.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-04, 14:49

Obligatory:

tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2024-03-04, 15:35

GRR Spartan wrote:Saw Keon Coleman ran a 4.61 forty / 1.54 ten yd split and a 38” vertical and the draftniks think it means he’ll drop out of the first rd.  He measured 6’4”/215#.

Some team will be getting a steal if he goes past #32 pick.    All he did in college was catch the damn ball.

Puka Nacua ran a 4.57 last year at the combine and set NFL rookie records for both receptions and yards.  He had the fourth most catches and was fifth in total yards among all NFL receivers.  Speed matters but is not everything.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2024-03-04, 18:51; edited 2 times in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2024-03-04, 15:46

They need to re-sign Amon-Ra St. Brown who reportedly is looking for 28 million/year or they will be drafting a WR very high.  That is actually pretty fair market value, but it does put quite a dent in the salary cap as they need to extend Goff as well and Sewell is coming to the end of his rookie contract.

Josh Reynolds is also a free agent.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-03-04, 16:01

MSU addict wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Saw Keon Coleman ran a 4.61 forty / 1.54 ten yd split and a 38” vertical and the draftniks think it means he’ll drop out of the first rd.  He measured 6’4”/215#.

Some team will be getting a steal if he goes past #32 pick.    All he did in college was catch the damn ball.

Puka Nacua ran a 4.57 last year at the combine last year and set NFL rookie records for both receptions and yards.  He had the fourth most catches and was fifth in total yards among all NFL receivers.  Speed matters but is not everything.

The difference between a 4.4 and a 4.6 is pretty small over 40 yards, and doesn't really factor in a guy getting jammed at the line, or just getting bumped on a route. Running good routes and having great hands is more important.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-03-04, 17:28

Russell Wilson for the league minimum, and draft a QB in Round 2 have entered the chat for the Falcons.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-04, 17:31

NigelUno wrote:Russell Wilson for the league minimum, and draft a QB in Round 2 have entered the chat for the Falcons.

Denver really has 85 million in dead cap. Wow.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-03-04, 17:48

MSU addict wrote:

Puka Nacua ran a 4.57 last year at the combine last year and set NFL rookie records for both receptions and yards.  He had the fourth most catches and was fifth in total yards among all NFL receivers.  Speed matters but is not everything.

Unless it is K9 speed, that is.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-03-04, 17:53

When I was in grad school I had a statistics class and I had to answer a question of my choosing using statistics. I picked “are 40 times indicative of future success for wide receivers in the nfl draft”

I don’t remember how I did this. I measured success by yards and touchdowns and other stuff. Anyway the answer was that there was an ever so slight correlation but so little that the answer was that it didn’t really matter and other factors were probably more important like can they catch the ball.

I got an A- so you know you can trust me
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-03-04, 18:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:When I was in grad school I had a statistics class and I had to answer a question of my choosing using statistics. I picked “are 40 times indicative of future success for wide receivers in the nfl draft”

I don’t remember how I did this. I measured success by yards and touchdowns and other stuff. Anyway the answer was that there was an ever so slight correlation but so little that the answer was that it didn’t really matter and other factors were probably more important like can they catch the ball.

Don’t know how long you’ve been out of grad school but if you had a nerd friend that was all about computer programs you guys could have invented the advanced metric stats for football been multi millionaires and just been crunching football numbers for a living.

All that aside, pretty cool project. If I was still an administrator I’d mention it to our math department for unmotivated kids in class that are into sports.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-03-04, 18:08

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:When I was in grad school I had a statistics class and I had to answer a question of my choosing using statistics. I picked “are 40 times indicative of future success for wide receivers in the nfl draft”

I took the same class and went with “Do 4 out of 5 dentists always approve of Trident gum?” Got an Incomplete because I’m still gathering responses. Spoiler alert: There are a lot of dentists in the US.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-03-04, 18:41

This would have been like 12 years ago dwags. It was inspired by that one bust the raiders had. I just remember they took him 7th when no one had him that high because he was fast, and he did nothing.

I’ve long wished I did a different project that I could have done while a prof could help me, there’s no way I could do it on my own. Basically the question would be, what is the proper amount over the speed limit that you should drive given the distance you are driving? So you gotta factor for the risk of getting a ticket. So here’s a couple examples to explain what I’m getting at- you’re driving 1 mile on the highway, you could go 0 over the limit and you’ll get there at x time. You could go 30 over, your risk of getting a ticket is very low because there probably isn’t a cop, but the reward is very low because you only save seconds of time. There’s no point in that scenario to going beyond where there is absolutely 0 risk. Now, change the distance travelled to 500 miles. 30 over will save you a significant amount of time, however your chances of getting a ticket are near certain. So where is that line in between where you balance time saved with risk.

For a long trip the answer is definitely 9 over, right before the risk of getting a ticket starts incrementally increasing with every mph. But where it’s a fun question is in that medium term drive. Like 30-100 miles. Chances you see a cop are low, but not near 0 like a mile long trip. Time can be saved by pushing it, but you’re taking some amount of increased risk. Quantifying that risk is the part that’s hard here.

Anyway the lions do need a receiver, someone they can throw a corner fade to in the red zone. If there are offensive complaints, stalled drives because of the lack of that guy are one. I just don’t think they need to take that in the first round.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-04-10, 09:35

Is a team really going to trade into the Top 5 to draft JJ McCarthy?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-10, 09:57

NigelUno wrote:Is a team really going to trade into the Top 5 to draft JJ McCarthy?

Look, I hate Michigan and all their players. When they end up on our team, running for a touchdown in the Super Bowl, you cheered like crazy for them, and then right after you can hate them again..  When a defensive end for your favorite team happens to be from Michigan and gets a great sack or makes a good interception you cheer like crazy for him and then you can hate him again right afterwards.  If any Michigan State grads lived in New England area, I guarantee you they loved Tom Brady

So I guess, I would ask what is wrong with JJ that you wouldn’t take him as quick as you could get him?  Does he not have all the required tools?  Because I think he can make every pass that you want him to make at the NFL level. I think he is got really quick feet and a fantastic release. And in the past five years, I don’t think there’s a quarterback in the Big Ten that can spin it like he can

I think the only thing that can screw him up, is if a team takes him and needs to start him next fall.   Might be good for a team like the Jets, or even like the Falcons to take him and let him sit for two or three years
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-04-10, 10:13

When did people start calling Detroit the D? I wanna say mid 90's. I certainly don't remember anyone using the D when I was a kid.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-04-10, 10:17

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Is a team really going to trade into the Top 5 to draft JJ McCarthy?

Look, I hate Michigan and all their players. When they end up on our team, running for a touchdown in the Super Bowl, you cheered like crazy for them, and then right after you can hate them again..  When a defensive end for your favorite team happens to be from Michigan and gets a great sack or makes a good interception you cheer  like crazy for him and then you can hate him again right afterwards.  If any Michigan State grads lived in New England area, I guarantee you they loved Tom Brady

So I guess, I would ask what is wrong with JJ that you wouldn’t take him as quick as you could get him?  Does he not have all the required tools?  Because I think he can make every pass that you want him to make at the NFL level. I think he is got really quick feet and a fantastic release. And in the past five years, I don’t think there’s a quarterback in the Big Ten that can spin it like he can

I think the only thing that can screw him up, is if a team takes him and needs to start him next fall.   Might be good for a team like the Jets, or even like the Falcons to take him and let him sit for two or three years

CJ Stroud?

Is JJ that much better than Bo Nix? Will a team like the Giants trade up to get him...after they took Daniel Jones #6 overall?  

I think I heard that JJ only threw one TD in the 4th quarter last season.  Maybe he can dissect defenses on paper.  Is JJ good, or was he good because he had all day to throw? I don't know.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-10, 10:29

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Look, I hate Michigan and all their players. When they end up on our team, running for a touchdown in the Super Bowl, you cheered like crazy for them, and then right after you can hate them again..  When a defensive end for your favorite team happens to be from Michigan and gets a great sack or makes a good interception you cheer  like crazy for him and then you can hate him again right afterwards.  If any Michigan State grads lived in New England area, I guarantee you they loved Tom Brady

CJ Stroud?

Is JJ that much better than Bo Nix?  Will a team like the Giants trade up to get him...after they took Daniel Jones #6 overall?    

I think I heard that JJ only threw one TD in the 4th quarter last season.  Maybe he can dissect defenses on paper.  Is JJ good, or was he good because he had all day to throw?  I don't know.

There is a point where you have to use the combines and pro day on quarterbacks.  JJ didn’t have to throw touchdowns in the fourth quarter.  There is one pass in the Rose Bowl where Michigan would not have won the game where JJ was rolling out to his left. He had to throw it over an Alabama linebacker, but not high enough so his receiver wouldn’t miss it because behind his receiver, there was a defensive back, waiting to intercept the ball and run 85 yards for a touchdown. It was the perfect pass.  I still get aggravated thinking about it.

And this is where my arrogance comes in as far as looking at arm talent goes.  I think he throws a better ball than Stroud.  That doesn’t mean he can read a defense better or has a better feel for a professional defense, but I think he throws a better ball

So if you are asking me would  I take him  top five I guess that depends on the need but would  I take him in the first round absolutely

Last edited by DWags on 2024-04-10, 10:50; edited 2 times in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-04-10, 10:36

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

CJ Stroud?

Is JJ that much better than Bo Nix? Will a team like the Giants trade up to get him...after they took Daniel Jones #6 overall?  

I think I heard that JJ only threw one TD in the 4th quarter last season.  Maybe he can dissect defenses on paper.  Is JJ good, or was he good because he had all day to throw? I don't know.

There is a point where you have to use the combines and pro day on quarterbacks. JJ didn’t have to throw touchdowns in the fourth quarter. There is one pass in the Rose Bowl or Michigan would not have won the game or JJ was rolling out to his left. He had to throw it over an Alabama linebacker, but not high enough so his receiver wouldn’t miss it because behind his receiver, there was a defensive back, waiting to intercept the ball and run 85 yards for a touchdown. It was the perfect pass. I still get aggravated thinking about it.

And this is where my arrogance comes in as far as looking at arm talent goes. I think he throws a better ball than Stroud. That doesn’t mean he can read a defense better or has a better feel for a professional defense, but I think he throws a better ball

So if you are asking me what I taken top five I guess that depends on the need but when I take him in the first round absolutely

In Kiper's latest mock, he has the Vikings trading up with the Chargers...and giving up their #11, #23, AND their 1st Round pick next year to take JJ. That's a hard pass for me.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-04-10, 11:15

I definitely don't think he throws a better ball than Stroud.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2024-04-10, 11:19

Real easy to make the right read when you know what the defense is going to do every play.

This is why nothing will happen on that story ever and you were fools to rely “oh it’ll be vacated”. It won’t be because even you guys have lost sight of their rampant cheating. The ncaa is more than happy to let you and move on.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-04-10, 11:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Real easy to make the right read when you know what the defense is going to do every play.

This is why nothing will happen on that story ever and you were fools to rely “oh it’ll be vacated”. It won’t be because even you guys have lost sight of their rampant cheating. The ncaa is more than happy to let you and move on.

Between the incredibly slow rate that the NCAA investigates & Michigan stonewalling as they always have the chances of this question be wrapped up before the Michigan players have all retired from the NFL is questionable, at which time the NCAA may give Michigan a very weak wrist slap of a fine less that MSU was fined for the tunnel.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn 2024-04-10, 12:56

I'm as big of a sports fan as anyone around here, but I find the NFL draft boring other than who the Lions take and which Spartans get drafted. I don't watch it on TV let alone go somewhere to watch (and watch exactly what?).

Well, maybe I'm not as big of a sports fan as I think.
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-04-10, 18:06

Zurn wrote:I'm as big of a sports fan as anyone around here, but I find the NFL draft boring other than who the Lions take and which Spartans get drafted. I don't watch it on TV let alone go somewhere to watch (and watch exactly what?).

Well, maybe I'm not as big of a sports fan as I think.

I used to be a huuugge sports fan. Then I lost a lot of weight.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Zurn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-04-10, 20:51

Latest mock draft 2024 NFL Draft In the D 1550444538

2024 NFL Draft In the D Img_8610

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2024-04-10, 21:16

Nordic wrote:Latest mock draft 2024 NFL Draft In the D 1550444538

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

You want to draft a guy to play D in The D when he doesn’t even have a D in his name? Ennis got no D, man.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-04-10, 21:30

tGreenWay wrote:

You want to draft a guy to play D in The D when he doesn’t even have a D in his name? Ennis got no D, man.

This is where I will ask again: when did Detroit become the D?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-04-10, 21:47

Seems to me that big schools would watch when Dantonio would offer a certain position then jump on him. Maybe I’m misremembering now. But Dantonio did seem like he could find the 3 star gems.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next