Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Bowl

+11
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
duffy munn
kingstonlake
Motown Spartan
aualum06
Pervis Muldoon
AvgMSUJoe
Turtleneck
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super Bowl  - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Bowl

Post by Cameron 2024-02-12, 11:48

On first impression, I thought SF made the right decision. If both teams score a FG or both score a TD, you get the ball in a true sudden death possession.

But I read something today that KC's plan was always to take the ball second, and then if SF had scored a TD, KC was gonna go for two after their TD. I now believe that to be the optimal strategy.

But if that is the optimal strategy, there is an argument to be made that you still take the ball first, you just act as though you need 8. Then, if you both get 8, you get that sudden death possession.

So I don't know, but I don't think it's clear enough one way or the other for Shanahan to get any criticism for that particular decision.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2024-02-12, 11:54

Wait, is that just for the coin toss, as to why they took the ball? I guess maybe there in the moment you could forget.

But if it was during the OT, we're they wondering why they're throwing the ball inside the 10 when they think they just need an FG, that's pretty wild.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-12, 11:56

Cameron wrote:On first impression, I thought SF made the right decision. If both teams score a FG or both score a TD, you get the ball in a true sudden death possession.

But I read something today that KC's plan was always to take the ball second, and then if SF had scored a TD, KC was gonna go for two after their TD. I now believe that to be the optimal strategy.

But if that is the optimal strategy, there is an argument to be made that you still take the ball first, you just act as though you need 8. Then, if you both get 8, you get that sudden death possession.

So I don't know, but I don't think it's clear enough one way or the other for Shanahan to get any criticism for that particular decision.
of course it's a fluid situation and nobody could predict what might happen with regard to hypotheticals, but the blocked extra point was huge.

as was the defensive holding call on KC in overtime, when the 49ers were gonna have to punt on 4th and whatever. Automatic first down - I honestly thought "game over" when that happened. KC defense was able to hold them to a FG, though, and then it became the Mahomes Show, as we all knew it would.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-12, 12:05

With only a total of 38 points being scored in regulation, I thought it was probably a good call to take the ball. That way you get it on a third possession for a killshot. I would’ve made the wrong decision there also

Looking at it today there seems to be a lot more reasons to defer and get the ball second
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-12, 12:27

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:Fuck, Jesus just ruined INXS for me.
loved how the founder of Hobby Lobby spent millions on a commercial when a) he could've used it to feed a few people and b) it was the exact dicisive, religious propaganda that we've come to expect from that ilk.

Even Pat McAfee is mocking it. He didn't know Jesus was raking in enough dough to spend $14 million on commercials.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2024-02-12, 12:53

NigelUno wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
loved how the founder of Hobby Lobby spent millions on a commercial when a) he could've used it to feed a few people and b) it was the exact dicisive, religious propaganda that we've come to expect from that ilk.

Even Pat McAfee is mocking it.  He didn't know Jesus was raking in enough dough to spend $14 million on commercials.  
home skillet doesn't even pay taxes.. he just workin' with the free money, yo.

moves to make while stackin' cake.

Super Bowl  - Page 2 200.gif?cid=ddb306a54n75bfun0f7qsznboy4d8ipff588tar3fahmnfun&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2