Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Router questions

+13
AvgMSUJoe
The Pantry
SeeRockCity
LoneWolfSparty
WhiteBoyHatcher
Izzo Court
Heat Miser
Turtleneck
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Robert J Sakimano
InTenSity
17 posters

Go down

Router questions Empty Router questions

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-27, 14:33

I currently have a NETGEAR N600 wireless router. Lately, at least with phones, it has been connecting and disconnecting every couple of minutes. When I run Netflix though, everything seems fine. I installed the newest firmware and at this point I'm just wondering if the router is bad. I've had it for about a year. The heaviest usage is for occasionally watching Netflix, but its mostly used just to surf or watch youtube on phones. Should I just replace it, could it be something in my house? The signal strength, when running diagnostics is around 80% where we use it the most. If I was to replace it, is there anything in the sub-100 range that is good?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Router questions Empty Re: Router questions

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-27, 15:04

InTenSity wrote:I currently have a NETGEAR N600 wireless router. Lately, at least with phones, it has been connecting and disconnecting every couple of minutes. When I run Netflix though, everything seems fine. I installed the newest firmware and at this point I'm just wondering if the router is bad. I've had it for about a year. The heaviest usage is for occasionally watching Netflix, but its mostly used just to surf or watch youtube on phones. Should I just replace it, could it be something in my house? The signal strength, when running diagnostics is around 80% where we use it the most. If I was to replace it, is there anything in the sub-100 range that is good?
ya know, if you get the 3.6uPr whizzy-gizzer and interface it with the Kevlar-reinforced 56ErT 3.0 whatsy-gadget while aiming it right at the washing machine, you'd be surprised to know that your 5.0 IE Windows iFacebook phone tablet will be able to draw the data right off of it and display it on your 45tUeR flatscreen gel-tablet up above your fridge..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2014-08-27, 15:12

Sounds like you have a pinched Johnson Rod.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-08-27, 15:13

Try resetting the channel?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-27, 15:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
ya know, if you get the 3.6uPr whizzy-gizzer and interface it with the Kevlar-reinforced 56ErT 3.0 whatsy-gadget while aiming it right at the washing machine, you'd be surprised to know that your 5.0 IE Windows iFacebook phone tablet will be able to draw the data right off of it and display it on your 45tUeR flatscreen gel-tablet up above your fridge..

I'm not looking to downgrade back to 247 levels.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-08-27, 15:17

I just bought a new Asus router. Set me back $150 but no complaints. The one TW gave me was a flaming POS.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-27, 15:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:Try resetting the channel?
Even if I'm the only one in the channel?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-27, 15:24

InTenSity wrote:
I'm not looking to downgrade back to 247 levels.
good idea..

word on the street is that if you sign up at 24/7 these days, you get a free sun dial..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-27, 15:25

Burn your house down, use the insurance money to get a new router, and you're all set. Pretty simple solution.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-27, 15:29

Turtleneck wrote:Burn your house down, use the insurance money to get a new router, and you're all set. Pretty simple solution.
I'm waiting for a hurricane to come through, then I'll throw it outside and claim it was looted. C'mon Atlantic hurricane season!
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-08-27, 15:32

InTenSity wrote:

I don't know, just throwing that out there as maybe something to look at.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-27, 15:42

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Try resetting the channel?

Most newer routers will adjust to the best channel automagically, but it's worth checking. The channel you're using is not necessarily limited to your network. Interference can come from other routers using the same channel. Interference can also come from just about any electrical device. It also depends on positioning. Putting it in a corner with concrete walls is generally not a good idea.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-27, 15:58

Most newer routers will adjust to the best channel automagically, but it's worth checking. The channel you're using is not necessarily limited to your network. Interference can come from other routers using the same channel. Interference can also come from just about any electrical device. It also depends on positioning. Putting it in a corner with concrete walls is generally not a good idea.

The settings page(?) gives me the options of quite a few channels, I notice that there are probably 4-6 channels being used in my area, but it seems to pick a channel that isn't being used. It is near one wall of concrete, but not two walls. The frustrating part is that the TV is working just fine, or appears to be working just fine, it is the phones that are getting disconnected and then also killing my battery.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-08-27, 16:04

tWife and I have Galaxy S4 phones that are notorious for being fussy with some routers and constantly connecting and disconnecting from the local network. I switched routers and no problem.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-27, 16:15

InTenSity wrote:

The settings page(?) gives me the options of quite a few channels, I notice that there are probably 4-6 channels being used in my area, but it seems to pick a channel that isn't being used. It is near one wall of concrete, but not two walls. The frustrating part is that the TV is working just fine, or appears to be working just fine, it is the phones that are getting disconnected and then also killing my battery.

Another thing I did was assign all of my devices static wifi ip addresses. I don't know if it helps connectivity, but it sure helps me troubleshoot. Also, limiting your protocols could help. For example, if you know all your devices use wireless g and/or n, there's no reason to have your router handling wireless a and b.

This is all assuming these setting are available in your wireless config.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 16:36

I was having similar issues and posted a thread a while back. Code Warrior had some really good suggestions. I bought a new router and a new modem and the problem (intermittent temp outages) went away.

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t1324-piggybacking-on-dwags-threadhome-network-dns-issues

However, now I notice that when I take my laptop upstairs (router and modem in basement), sometimes my connection will slow to ridiculous levels - like .027 down. I can march right back to the modem and it only occasionally speeds up. Not sure if I'm having interference issues or what. Then, magically,back up to my normal speeds.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-08-27, 16:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I was having similar issues and posted a thread a while back. Code Warrior had some really good suggestions. I bought a new router and a new modem and the problem (intermittent temp outages) went away.

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t1324-piggybacking-on-dwags-threadhome-network-dns-issues

However, now I notice that when I take my laptop upstairs (router and modem in basement), sometimes my connection will slow to ridiculous levels - like .027 down. I can march right back to the modem and it only occasionally speeds up. Not sure if I'm having interference issues or what. Then, magically,back up to my normal speeds.

Common problem, easily fixed by resetting your transmogrifier. Google it for directions.

Last edited by LoneWolfSparty on 2014-08-27, 16:42; edited 1 time in total
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-27, 16:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I was having similar issues and posted a thread a while back. Code Warrior had some really good suggestions. I bought a new router and a new modem and the problem (intermittent temp outages) went away.

Router questions 502811600 Yes, your connection will degrade with distance and/or obstacles. Router in the basement qualifies. Lots of pipes & wires in walls and floors between you and that router. Water heaters, refrigerators, stoves & bathtubs between you and the router are also problematic. Pretty much anything metal. Get your self a range extender for the 1st floor & you'll be good to go.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2014-08-27, 16:42

I prefer a 2.5 HP with both stationary and plunge base. Preferable with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2014-08-27, 17:32

Heat Miser wrote:

Router questions 502811600 Yes, your connection will degrade with distance and/or obstacles. Router in the basement qualifies. Lots of pipes & wires in walls and floors between you and that router. Water heaters, refrigerators, stoves & bathtubs between you and the router are also problematic. Pretty much anything metal. Get your self a range extender for the 1st floor & you'll be good to go.

I'll give it a shot. +1 Likes for the suggestion.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-27, 20:48

InTenSity wrote:I currently have a NETGEAR N600 wireless router. Lately, at least with phones, it has been connecting and disconnecting every couple of minutes. When I run Netflix though, everything seems fine. I installed the newest firmware and at this point I'm just wondering if the router is bad. I've had it for about a year. The heaviest usage is for occasionally watching Netflix, but its mostly used just to surf or watch youtube on phones. Should I just replace it, could it be something in my house? The signal strength, when running diagnostics is around 80% where we use it the most. If I was to replace it, is there anything in the sub-100 range that is good?
Like I said in the other thread, had an N600 series that went downhill with disconnect/reconnect issues similar to yours. Replaced it with an R6250 ($140) around Christmas last year and have no router issues since. Wireless is much faster than the 600
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-23, 09:37

So, I never really had a dual band router before and I set up both the 2.4 and 5gHz channels with the same name and password. It turns out that the 2.4 channel is dead or not working, but the 5 does work. I'm assuming the thing is on its last leg, but I'm staying away from Netgear on the next router. Is it normal for these things to not even last a year?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-23, 09:42

Go ASUS.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-23, 12:33

InTenSity wrote:So, I never really had a dual band router before and I set up both the 2.4 and 5gHz channels with the same name and password. It turns out that the 2.4 channel is dead or not working, but the 5 does work. I'm assuming the thing is on its last leg, but I'm staying away from Netgear on the next router. Is it normal for these things to not even last a year?

No, that's not normal & I've generally heard nothing but good things about Netgear. A friend of mine has Netgear dual band router + 2 repeaters covering his property that have worked great. I've got a D-Link that's worked fine, though not dual band.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-05-16, 13:59

Bump... anyone fall in love with a mesh solution?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2022-05-16, 15:16

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Bump... anyone fall in love with a mesh solution?

There's another thread on this with newer info, but I've been using the Google solution for a few years & love it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-05-16, 15:35

you should try the i78E patch cord. It's compatible with the iErt56.7 flexTesla fiber chamber. It is light, as it has a 67.3 mGhz bronze patchwork whizzle gig encased in the cable.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-16, 16:41

Not sure of all the proper terms; so no idea if “solution” is a part of or different from the Orbi mesh WiFi I currently have. All in all, we’ve been happy with it. There is some difficulty getting WiFi on one end of the house. I’m thinking of adding an extra carrier in my basement, closer to our primary bedroom/bathroom. I also have an Arris modem, fwiw.
Funny thing is, the system will be four years old and I have no idea how long these things are expected to last. Short of not working at all, I also have no idea of the signs that would tell me when it’s time for a replacement.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-05-16, 17:03

tGreenWay wrote:
I also have no idea of the signs that would tell me when it’s time for a replacement.

When it quits working it's time to replace it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-05-16, 17:25

Jake from State Farm wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:
I also have no idea of the signs that would tell me when it’s time for a replacement.

Well, that’s a fairly obvious clue.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2022-05-16, 17:59

Porter Cable use to make the best routers. They've since moved all manufacturing to Mexico and China Router questions 2102841802
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-05-16, 19:12

tGreenWay wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

My 5g drops connection all the time. It's mostly the wifi being stupid. Haven't noticed anything on my wired things. Maybe I'm overloading it with the smart things?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-05-16, 21:59

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

My 5g drops connection all the time. It's mostly the wifi being stupid. Haven't noticed anything on my wired things. Maybe I'm overloading it with the smart things?

Was having the same issues. Did the Orbi thing about a year ago and pretty happy with it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-06-18, 09:48

Hello nerds, i have questions. I set up an eero network in my home which is great provided that I’m connected to the main eero that’s wired to the router. We’re talking some 450 mbps speeds for loading greenway nonsense on the swill very quickly. The problem is if I’m connected to any of the satellite eeros- bullshit slow speeds that make greenway nonsense very slow to load. Like less than 5 mbps. I know there would be a drop off from the main one to the satellites, but I think that’s more on the order if 450 to 350 or 300, not 450 to 5.

I’ve restarted the modem, unplugged the satellites, etc but I’m fresh out of ideas on how to fix it because I’m a dope
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-06-18, 18:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Hello nerds, i have questions. I set up an eero network in my home which is great provided that I’m connected to the main eero that’s wired to the router. We’re talking some 450 mbps speeds for loading greenway nonsense on the swill very quickly. The problem is if I’m connected to any of the satellite eeros- bullshit slow speeds that make greenway nonsense very slow to load. Like less than 5 mbps. I know there would be a drop off from the main one to the satellites, but I think that’s more on the order if 450 to 350 or 300, not 450 to 5.

I’ve restarted the modem, unplugged the satellites, etc but I’m fresh out of ideas on how to fix it because I’m a dope

You might have to run wires to each satellite to get better speed.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-06-18, 21:10

The satellites don’t even have Ethernet ports
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-06-18, 21:21

Satellite too far away from the main?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-06-18, 22:01

I thought that so I got another satellite. It’s maybe 20-25 feet from the main, and 10 feet from me, and I’m connected to that one now getting sub 1 mbps
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RQA 2022-06-20, 12:14

SeeRockCity wrote:I prefer a 2.5 HP with both stationary and plunge base. Preferable with both 1/2" and 1/4" collets.

Actually that's the specs on your new garbage disposer.
RQA
RQA
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down