Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, is the B1G out of the Playoff picture?

+11
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
steveschneider
WBill
LoneWolfSparty
SeeRockCity
InTenSity
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So, is the B1G out of the Playoff picture? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, is the B1G out of the Playoff picture?

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Rocinante wrote:

I know what he's inferring.  I'm just wondering who loses to let either of those 1 loss teams move up at least 3 spots.

Like I said, we can make all sorts of assumptions about who loses and who doesn't but from where I'm sitting it's a tough fuckin road.
Who cares if we're in the Top 4 in the polls or not?  

I actually think that we would likely be ranked in the Top 5 if we run the table from here on out (and that Wiscy would be 7th or 8th), so we wouldn't need to move up 3 spots even if the polls mattered.  But for the sake of this hypothetical, let's say we were 7th headed into the BTCG and then won that game.  There could easily be 3 SEC teams in the Top 6.  One will lose the SEC champ game.  Will the committee put two SEC teams in the playoff, especially one that didn't even play in their title game?  Not likely IMO, but maybe if you have a situation like LSU and Bama a couple of years ago where they were pretty clearly the top two teams in the country.  

So now we've moved from Top 7 to Top 5.  Will they put a 2 loss team in the playoff, unless they're the SEC champion?  

Regardless, any 1 loss team in the Top 6, maybe even the top 8, should at least be seriously in the conversation for the committee.  Of course the picks all depends who else is in the conversation, how they got in the conversation, and what the committee really looks at.  

I don't disagree that it's a tough road.  It would be a tough road if we had beaten Oregon, as well.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

So, is the B1G out of the Playoff picture? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, is the B1G out of the Playoff picture?

Post by InTenSity Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:14 am

Finally found an article in the Detroit papers that isn't all doom and gloom.

Warning: Freep article!

Can a 12-1 Big Ten champ earn one of the four spots in the playoff? As of today, of course not. But the selection will come in three months, not three hours. And between now and then – a lot will happen, a lot will change and a lot of the supposed giants that stand in the way will fall aside. It happens every single year in college football. And even though the landscape has changed with the new postseason, it will happen again this season.

Still doesn't compare schedules, but at least isn't over the top, world is ending article.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:21 am

Blanch32 wrote:

Fwiw FSU is in the same boat as us.  1 loss and they are out.  No way should they get the nod over us if they falter once

BUT BUT BLUE BLODD PROGRAM, if they lose, they drop a max of two spots.

beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2