Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you let your 5 year old son....

+44
Code_Warrior
Chitown_Badger
AvgMSUJoe
MiamiSpartan
All Your Base
Rodeo Burger
Motown Spartan
Notorious GiB
GRR Spartan
Gomer
Manuel Uribe
tig ol bitties
SawGreen
By-Tor
Nommad2
Phil McCrackin
AMwood
Tyler Durden
SeeRockCity
Other Teams Pursuing That
tGreenWay
SpartanInNH
MSU addict
Uno Nigel
SPARTASOTAN
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
Izzo Court
Brock Middlebrook
HT
Spartan Pride
SpartanGuard
Rocinante
xsanguine
Cym Jim
DWags
GirbaudJeans
pulling69
y2kMgrad
LoneWolfSparty
NigelUno
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
48 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Would you let your 5 year old son.... Empty Would you let your 5 year old son....

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 pm

....be a Disney Princess for Halloween?

Serious question. I'm sure I will get plenty of smart ass replies.

He wants to be Elsa. It's all he talks about. I'm struggling with it. I know the social environment I grew up in. Something like that would probably have been prime for ridicule even in preschool and your buddies would hold it against you probably through High School. I don't want my kid being bullied. But things are different now. I also want him to be secure and confident and don't want to give off signals like I disapprove of that. Do what you want, in a way.

Kids are goofy. All the kids in his preschool are apparently obsessed with Frozen. He's also obsessed with TMNT and Jake and TNLP and other stuff. But Frozen is his current thing and he really wants to be Elsa. He is probably going to get exposed to other kids when he gets to K next year and I will miss the days when he thought it was cool to like different stuff.

But dressing in drag? I just don't know if I can go through with it. Am I being stupid? I mean it's a 4/5 year old, right?

If you offer a serious response here (doubtful), I want your age, and # of kids.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Would you let your 5 year old son.... Empty Re: Would you let your 5 year old son....

Post by InTenSity Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Frozen is a weird obsessive kid movie. When in mi I visited my best friend who has 2 boys. 2 and 5. I was very surprised to hear that frozen is their favorite movie. Why not suggest Olaf or...Sven?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Would you let your 5 year old son.... Empty Re: Would you let your 5 year old son....

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:48 pm

InTenSity wrote:Frozen is a weird obsessive kid movie. When in mi I visited my best friend who has 2 boys. 2 and 5. I was very surprised to hear that frozen is their favorite movie. Why not suggest Olaf or...Sven?

Tried.

He wants Elsa. He is such a stubborn motherfucker.

I told my wife can we wait a few weeks? These kids change their obsessions every 2-3 weeks it seems. He might be totally over it. Wife is freaking out and feeling guilty for telling him we weren't buying the Elsa costume at Target today. Neutral
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't have an answer. My son has downs, I'm not going to worry about what he wears for Halloween. Start putting star wars on whenever he's around. Yes, start with ep1.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:03 am

Elsa? Isn't that the mother lion in Born Free?

Lions are cool.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:04 am

NigelUno wrote:Elsa? Isn't that the mother lion in Born Free?Lions are cool.
Elsa is the younger sister and main character for frozen. Ana is the older sister.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:07 am

InTenSity wrote:
Elsa is the younger sister and main character for frozen. Ana is the older sister.

Oh. I have no idea about any of that Frozen stuff.

I wouldn't let my kid dress up as a girl though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:09 am

NigelUno wrote:InTenSity wrote:“Elsa is the younger sister and main character for frozen. Ana is the older sister.”Oh. I have no idea about any of that Frozen stuff.I wouldn't let my kid dress up as a girl though.

Do you have kids? There was a lot of things my kids couldn't do, before they were born.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:12 am

InTenSity wrote:

Do you have kids? There was a lot of things my kids couldn't do, before they were born.

Yes. Not really Halloween dress up age any more. My sis in law dressed up her boy (probably around 5) in some Peter Pan (really, Peter Pan?) outfit one year, but the kid looked like TinkerBell. We all still laugh about it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am

My son was Peter Pan last year. It was his obsession at the time. Actually Peter Pan is pretty awesome. Not sure how he got the rep that he did.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:15 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My son was Peter Pan last year. It was his obsession at the time. Actually Peter Pan is pretty awesome. Not sure how he got the rep that he did.

Tinkerbell though?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:27 am

Hecks no. You need to get him into trucks and toy guns and cowboys and Indians. Stat.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:30 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Hecks no. You need to get him into trucks and toy guns and cowboys and Indians. Stat.

lol. Was particularly interested to hear your response.

He's been into all of those things at various times. Right now he's into Frozen. I'm torn, like Natalie Imbruglia.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:35 am

I would probably just tell him he's being silly because Elsa is a girl's costume and he should pick a boy one. Then show him some cool boy costumes like yoda or something.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 am

Yoda? About it tell me:

pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 am

I would just tell him that spending too much time with mommy is making him gay. Dress him up as that yodeling asshole you bought recently.
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:44 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:....be a Disney Princess for Halloween?

He wants to be Elsa. It's all he talks about. I'm struggling with it. I know the social environment I grew up in. Something like that would probably have been prime for ridicule even in preschool and your buddies would hold it against you probably through High School. I don't want my kid being bullied. But things are different now. I also want him to be secure and confident and don't want to give off signals like I disapprove of that. Do what you want, in a way.

Kids are goofy. All the kids in his preschool are apparently obsessed with Frozen. He's also obsessed with TMNT and Jake and TNLP and other stuff. But Frozen is his current thing and he really wants to be Elsa. He is probably going to get exposed to other kids when he gets to K next year and I will miss the days when he thought it was cool to like different stuff.

But dressing in drag? I just don't know if I can go through with it. Am I being stupid? I mean it's a 4/5 year old, right?

If you offer a serious response here (doubtful), I want your age, and # of kids.

Daughters 17 & 14. They were everything on Halloween growing up at that age. They were dalmations, they were football players, they were princesses, they were Winny the pooh. I think they're pretty well adjusted now. They aren't bears, they aren't dogs, they aren't princesses. I think you let kids that age do whatever the hell they want. They aren't dressing in drag cause they wasn't to be a woman or whatever. They just love lthe movies and shit like that.

I need to qualify this with what I always do however, I'm probably the worst ****ing parent ever made. I wake up clueless, I don't know how to discipline them or when to, I have no clue what I should do a lot of the day. I'm pretty lucky they both kind of take care of themselves. Oh, and their mom seems to know how to handle a lot of shit that comes up in their lives. I just kind of talk football with them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:05 am

LGBTQ tendencies are usually apparent at very early ages - so you can either try to force "him" into a lifestyle where he will feel uncomfortable and depressed, or celebrate who he is and let him explore a transvestite or transgendered lifestyle. 

My son was kicking ass in sports at your boy's age and tested into the best selective elementary in the state, so I can't really empathize. However, I like to think I might have been able to love him just as much if he had "developed" like your "boy". I hate people who are judgmental. Send me a PM if I can help further.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 am

lol
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:26 am

Let him. Who cares? It's your insecurity that's on display here and it's not your costume. So ask yourself, what's worse, a boy that wants to dress up like a girl with awesome ice powers, or a dad that worries about how that will make HIM look?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:31 am

He just doesn't want to walk in on what will be his 15 year old son giving his "best friend" a bro-job in 10 years.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanGuard Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:39 am

InTenSity wrote:

First off, flip that around: Elsa is the older sister.

But in all seriousness, let him be what he wants to be. I agree that it can't hurt to wait a few weeks, so he can be really sure that's what he wants to be (it's only the second week of September, after all), but if that's what he's set on, go for it. Maybe Elsa in pants? And if he's in preschool, then it's less likely to follow him should he become embarrassed by it down the line.
SpartanGuard
SpartanGuard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 am

Cym Jim wrote:
LGBTQ tendencies are usually apparent at very early ages - so you can either try to force "him" into a lifestyle where he will feel uncomfortable and depressed, or celebrate who he is and let him explore a transvestite or transgendered lifestyle. 

My son was kicking ass in sports at your boy's age and tested into the best selective elementary in the state, so I can't really empathize. However, I like to think I might have been able to love him just as much if he had "developed" like your "boy". I hate people who are judgmental. Send me a PM if I can help further.

Would you let your 5 year old son.... 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:LoneWolfSparty wrote:“Hecks no. You need to get him into trucks and toy guns and cowboys and Indians. Stat.”lol. Was particularly interested to hear your response. He's been into all of those things at various times. Right now he's into Frozen. I'm torn, like Natalie Imbruglia.

Mmmm. Natalie Imbruglia...... There were a few things on her a wanted to torn back in the day.....
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:52 am

Cym Jim wrote:WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:“....be a Disney Princess for Halloween?Serious question. I'm sure I will get plenty of smart ass replies. He wants to be Elsa. It's all he talks about. I'm struggling with it. I know the social environment I grew up in. Something like that would probably have been prime for ridicule even in preschool and your buddies would hold it against you probably through High School. I don't want my kid being bullied. But things are different now. I also want him to be secure and confident and don't want to give off signals like I disapprove of that. Do what you want, in a way. Kids are goofy. All the kids in his preschool are apparently obsessed with Frozen. He's also obsessed with TMNT and Jake and TNLP and other stuff. But Frozen is his current thing and he really wants to be Elsa. He is probably going to get exposed to other kids when he gets to K next year and I will miss the days when he thought it was cool to like different stuff. But dressing in drag? I just don't know if I can go through with it. Am I being stupid? I mean it's a 4/5 year old, right?If you offer a serious response here (doubtful), I want your age, and # of kids. ”LGBTQ tendencies are usually apparent at very early ages - so you can either try to force "him" into a lifestyle where he will feel uncomfortable and depressed, or celebrate who he is and let him explore a transvestite or transgendered lifestyle. My son was kicking ass in sports at your boy's age and tested into the best selective elementary in the state, so I can't really empathize. However, I like to think I might have been able to love him just as much if he had "developed" like your "boy". I hate people who are judgmental. Send me a PM if I can help further.

Says the biggest most judgmental tool ever! LOL
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Pride Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 am

Penniman's sexual orientation has long been a topic of debate. Penniman claimed that as a child he felt feminine and played with girls, which was the source of jokes at his expense.[120] Caught wearing his mother's makeup and wardrobe at times, he was brutally punished by his father.[121] Penniman began having sexual encounters with both sexes by his early teens.[122] Allegedly due to his effeminate mannerisms, Penniman's father kicked him out of their family home at 15.[2] Penniman first became involved in voyeurism in his early twenties, when a female friend of his would drive around and pick up men who would allow him to watch them have sex in the backseat of cars. Penniman was once arrested after a gas station attendant in Macon reported sexual activity in a car featuring Penniman and a couple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Richard
Spartan Pride
Spartan Pride
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 am

Seriously. Just let him dress up as a football player.

I think Adrian Peterson jerseys are pretty cheap right now.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:59 am

23 and no kids. I guess you just let him wear what he wants, as there's no harm done if he's in preschool. Still plenty of time until Halloween, too, and he might end up changing his mind to something that you're more comfortable with.

Worse comes to worst, though, he dresses as a princess and it's something you and him can laugh about when you look back on things, and I'm sure he'll have more fun and have a better lasting impression of Halloween if you let him wear what he wants instead of pressing a different costume on him.

Also...if you ever worry about him getting made fun of, you just gotta teach the value of shrugging things off sometimes and not letting others get to him, and that's a lesson better taught early.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:10 am

I'm sure he'll make a fabulous princess

Would you let your 5 year old son.... O-PRINCESS-HALLOWEEN-facebook
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:14 am

All the kids want to be Elsa because she shoots ice and freezes stuff, so I can understand why a boy would want to go as Queen Elsa and not Princess Anna.

I would be patient and watch the Avengers, Captain America, and Thor as much as possible. It's not a big deal if he goes as a Disney Princess, but when he's 16 and the pictures of him dressed up as Elsa make their way out he will wish he went as Thor.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am

Izzo Court wrote:All the kids want to be Elsa because she shoots ice and freezes stuff, so I can understand why a boy would want to go as Queen Elsa and not Princess Anna.

I would be patient and watch the Avengers, Captain America, and Thor as much as possible.  It's not a big deal if he goes as a Disney Princess, but when he's 16 and the pictures of him dressed up as Elsa make their way out he will wish he went as Thor.

I'd agree with this. Not the end of the world right now, when he has pictures of it at his HS graduation he'll probably be upset you 1) dressed him like that 2) have pictures of it to put up at his grad party.

You ever go with him to see the new TMNT movie?

edit - 0 wife, 0 kids, 1-one year old nephew that likes Pitch Perfect because of all the music he can dance to
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 am

show him the Rocketeer and make this

Would you let your 5 year old son.... Somepe10
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:19 am

NigelUno wrote:

Oh.  I have no idea about any of that Frozen stuff.

I wouldn't let my kid dress up as a girl though.  

But it is ok for you to wear yoga pants?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:44 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:show him the Rocketeer and make this

Would you let your 5 year old son.... Somepe10

As a huge fan of that movie, I cant tell you how awesome that is.

Also, show him Jenny Blake.
Would you let your 5 year old son.... Jenny
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:

As a huge fan of that movie, I cant tell you how awesome that is.

Also, show him Jenny Blake.
Would you let your 5 year old son.... Jenny

Exactly, loved that movie as a kid and always wanted to fly so the thought of making a jet-pack was amazing

Also if he doesn't fall for dem titties, then you'll know he wants to wear the skirt for more than just super powers NTTAWWT
Would you let your 5 year old son.... IcuSigIx2sf3Q
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTASOTAN Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Any trees in your yard?
Can't think of a better instance to use a switch.
SPARTASOTAN
SPARTASOTAN
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Uno Nigel Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm

I think that is adorable. Boys at that age don't understand gender differences and right now his Mother is probably having more influence on his feelings as Dad is busy at work and BBqing. I wouldn't worry about it, he will actually grow out of it. I used to play with my sisters Barbies with her until one day I got the urge to play army with my guy friends when I was about 7 and never went back to Barbie again.
Uno Nigel
Uno Nigel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Uno Nigel Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Cym Jim wrote:

Would you let your 5 year old son.... 1966794946 so cruel.
Uno Nigel
Uno Nigel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:22 pm

When I was around 8 my Mom essentially forced me to be a ballerina one Halloween.  By forced I mean it was a simple ultimatum - be a ballerina or not go out trick or treating.  As I remember it, I still refused, but then she up the ante by offering me $5.   This was more than forty years ago and I grew up poor in a very working class neighborhood so $5 was a small fortune to me.  I took the money.

Kids have short memories, so other than the next week no one at school teased me.  It is not something that carried on into high school or anything past elementary school.

Any continual taunting has really comes from my family.  Again, this was more than 40 year ago so the thought of taking a picture with a phone was beyond comprehension.  Somehow a picture of me in the costume do seem to show up at a strange number of family gatherings.  My sister (who is seven years younger than me) for some reason still thinks it is hilarious and is the main perpetrator.

If I were in your shoes, I would try my best to redirect him but it sounds like it may have become a battle of wills.  Unfortunately, he is probably too young to bribe.

To answer your other question, I am 50 and have one child, a 5 month old daughter (yeah, I am old).

Last edited by MSU addict on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Damn man. Starting late aren't you, old balls?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next