Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland?

+19
Jake from State Farm
steveschneider
xsanguine
SpartanInNH
Cym Jim
Oj
Wally Fairway
AMwood
Rocinante
Rodeo Burger
Turtleneck
By-Tor
Nommad2
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
WBill
Heat Miser
InTenSity
LoneWolfSparty
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? Empty What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland?

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 09:30

I'm rooting for Scottish independence!! Do it for William Wallace! If it's not Scottish it's crap!!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? Empty Re: What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland?

Post by InTenSity 2014-09-17, 09:33

So, what has sparked this Scottish independence thing? I haven't been paying much attention other than seeing the headlines.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? Empty Re: What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland?

Post by Heat Miser 2014-09-17, 09:35

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? 1280px-Flag_of_Scotland_(navy_blue).svg
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 09:35

InTenSity wrote:So, what has sparked this Scottish independence thing? I haven't been paying much attention other than seeing the headlines.

Don't know. But if the referendum fails then I suggest the Scots turn to the sword to gain their independence!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-09-17, 09:40

InTenSity wrote:So, what has sparked this Scottish independence thing? I haven't been paying much attention other than seeing the headlines.

Haven't been following very closely, but part of it is London's austerity programs that have scaled back the welfare state a degree. Campaign literature for the "yes" side, are attacking votes that attached a means tests for benefits.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-17, 09:40

in simplest of terms, the Scots have grown tired of being controlled basically by the City of Westminster, borough of London and the banking/political district. They wish to have control over their own welfare and affairs using primarily the revenue from offshore oil fields.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-09-17, 09:42

The answer is the oil. Its always the oil.

Haha, no... I think it's like a Quebec type of situation where they have just been drifting away from GB for years and consider themselves to be wholly politically different from them and that it's time to be on their own.

While them voting for independence would be more fun to watch, I'm pretty sure that it's not better for us as Americans, so I'm rooting against it. (Unless I'm wrong on that, which is very possible.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 09:43

I blame Longshanks, and his evil spawn, the old bitty the queen.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-09-17, 09:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
in simplest of terms, the Scots have grown tired of being controlled basically by the City of Westminster, borough of London and the banking/political district. They wish to have control over their own welfare and affairs using primarily the revenue from offshore oil fields.

I should have known that joking about oil wouldn't actually turn out to be a joke.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-09-17, 10:01

Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-09-17, 10:10

Whiskey, golf and bagpipes. What else are the Scots good for?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 10:10

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I'm rooting for Scottish independence!! Do it for William Wallace! If it's not Scottish it's crap!!

Like It Or Not, Scotland's Drama May Hit Your Wallet
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 10:17

WBill wrote:

Haven't been following very closely, but part of it is London's austerity programs that have scaled back the welfare state a degree.  Campaign literature for the "yes" side, are attacking votes that attached a means tests for benefits.

While I agree, the "yes" campaign is playing to a larger sense of national (Scottish) identity. For example, there is this catchy little video...

With the sudden increase of "yes" supporters in recent polls, Cameron has committed London to granting greater power to Scotland. However, this seems to have irked many conservatives. In any event, I think there is some cold calculation going on...in the form of the Scottish Nationalists wanting to get their hands on all of that North Sea oil money.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 10:25

Turtleneck wrote:

Like It Or Not, Scotland's Drama May Hit Your Wallet

I don't care. I can afford it.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-09-17, 10:28

By-Tor wrote:Whiskey, golf and bagpipes. What else are the Scots good for?

You say that like they need to do more. There are many who aren't good at anything.

I hope the Scots get their independence if they want it. Though they'll almost surely lower their corporate tax rates to Ireland levels, and then poach a bunch of companies from the USA. But that would be our fault, not theirs. Maybe the Scots can help show us how to compete in the global economy.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 10:31

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

I don't care. I can afford it.

You're not poor, bro?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-17, 10:35

Let's be honest. These people need the UK. They eat mashed up throwaway parts of animals as a delicacy and throw telephone poles in skirts as a sport.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-09-17, 10:39

are you? tell me... what advice would you give me on the....

AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 10:40

Rodeo Burger wrote:

You say that like they need to do more. There are many who aren't good at anything.

I hope the Scots get their independence if they want it. Though they'll almost surely lower their corporate tax rates to Ireland levels, and then poach a bunch of companies from the USA. But that would be our fault, not theirs. Maybe the Scots can help show us how to compete in the global economy.

People are leaping past one little issue...currency. London is saying no currency union and the EU has not been warm to the idea of an independent Scotland. Additionally, I find it sort of interesting that the Scottish Nationalists clamor for independence but also say that a currency union with the UK will be necessary.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-09-17, 11:04

Oil and a feeling of lack of representation in London.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Oj 2014-09-17, 11:08

Oj
Oj
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-17, 11:11

Oil and a feeling of lack of representation in London.

excellent insight..   Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-17, 11:30

Rocinante wrote:Let's be honest. These people need the UK. They eat mashed up throwaway parts of animals as a delicacy and throw telephone poles in skirts as a sport.

Exactly - they're also extremely good and wandering around train stations drunk out of their minds and covered in piss, shouting abuse at random passers by.

Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-17, 11:35

Fascinating debate on the pros and cons of Scottish independence here:

Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 11:43

I think Ireland will follow suit. Not sure about Wales but really who cares about Wales.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-17, 11:50

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I think Ireland will follow suit.

I think they already did that in 1916.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 11:52

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I think Ireland will follow suit.

I think you mean Northern Ireland, and you say that like some of them have not already tried.

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? Troubles
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 11:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

excellent insight..   Wink

It seems like everybody outside of Scotland calls BS on this being about national identity.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-17, 11:58

Turtleneck wrote:

I think you mean Northern Ireland, and you say that like some of them have not already tried.

The vote certainly didn't go well last time:

Proposal 1: "Do you want Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom?"
591,820 votes, 98.9%

or

Proposal 2: "Do you want Northern Ireland to be joined with the Republic of Ireland outside the United Kingdom?"
6,463 votes, 1.1%

Blowing up shit was apparently the next logical course of action.

Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-09-17, 12:08

Cym Jim wrote:

Proposal 1: "Do you want Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom?"
591,820 votes, 98.9%

or

Proposal 2: "Do you want Northern Ireland to be joined with the Republic of Ireland outside the United Kingdom?"
6,463 votes, 1.1%

Was that in the early 70s? I forgot there was a referendum. Maybe because it was such a landslide.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 12:53

Cym Jim wrote:

591,820 votes, 98.9%

or

6,463 votes, 1.1%

If it means killing the English, count me in.

Signed,

Crazy Irish dude from Braveheart
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-09-17, 12:58

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

If it means killing the English, count me in.

Signed,

Crazy Irish dude from Braveheart
Fyi- you have maxed out your allowance for Braveheart jokes in this thread. Any further Braveheart jokes will be met with a $500 fine.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 13:10

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Fyi- you have maxed out your allowance for Braveheart jokes in this thread. Any further Braveheart jokes will be met with a $500 fine.

You can take my $500 but you'll never take my......FREEDOM!!!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-09-17, 13:17

Nobody thought Mel Gibson could play a Scot, but look at him now. Alcoholic and a racist.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-09-17, 13:24

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

You can take my $500 but you'll never take my......FREEDOM!!!
I can? Score. Never thought that would work. I'll PM you my address.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-17, 13:28

I can? Score. Never thought that would work. I'll PM you my address.
[quote="Travis of the Cosmos"]

I only do wire transfers though, so I'll need your Name, checking account number and routing number.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-09-17, 22:16

Cym Jim wrote:

Exactly - they're also extremely good and wandering around train stations drunk out of their minds and covered in piss, shouting abuse at random passers by.

I came into this thread specifically to say, TTIWWOCJ.

Yep, this thread is worthless without YOU, Cym Jim. Hugs and kisses,

Andy Murray
The Last "Brit" to Win Wimbledon
a/k/a Fuck You, Mon, I'm a Scotsman!
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-17, 23:01

Cym Jim wrote:

Nobody thought Mel Gibson could play a Scot, but look at him now. Alcoholic and a racist.

I missed this gem. Nice. CJ stepping his game up lately.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-09-18, 00:45

Turtleneck wrote:

What y time do the polls open tomorrow in Scotland? Troubles

Up the RA! Or something....
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-09-18, 06:27

xsanguine wrote:

Up the RA! Or something....

With their bombs and their guns and their guns and their guns, in your head, in your head they are fighting.......
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next