Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup?

+5
Rodeo Burger
Robert J Sakimano
Nordic
Rocinante
The_Dude
9 posters

Go down

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup? Empty Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup?

Post by The_Dude 2014-09-25, 12:45

Lets face it, college basketball has shifted away from teams starting a true center and a brute at the 4. Now we have 3 guards lineups with an athletic wing type at 4 and one true big. Not always, but a lot. Its very difficult when you space the floor with 3 guards that can shoot and have some size. McQuaid, Denzel, Harris, Ellis are all 6'5 or 6'6.

On the 2015 roster, we will have Valentine, Forbes, Eron Harris (transfer from WVU), Ellis, and McQuaid the recruit we just got.

That's a lot of shooting guards. Since they have good size, my bet is we use 3 guard sets that make it real tough to defend because we have multiple shooters on the floor. Heck, we could even go to a 4 guard lineup when other teams go small. Our bigs will be able to run...Davis coming in 2015, Clark, Schilling.

I think the days of MSU trotting out a slug at center followed by a power forward and a wing at 3 are over. We could start to see a more open offense under Izzo now. Out last two exits from the NCAAs was because we couldn't score against very good defensive teams.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup? Empty Re: Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup?

Post by Rocinante 2014-09-25, 12:57

A big guy who is developed enough to play at a high level in college is so rare that I think you have to default to guard specialization with the understanding that if a good big man comes along, you've got to be able to transition. Dominant inside guys just destroy every other type of play.

Last edited by Rocinante on 2014-09-25, 13:06; edited 1 time in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup? Empty Re: Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup?

Post by The_Dude 2014-09-25, 13:03

Rocinante wrote:Dominant inside guys just destroy every other type of play.

They do, but they are very very rare. And if they are that good, you have them for one year. Maybe two if they are Zeller or Sullinger.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-09-25, 13:18

I don't think there is any question that Izzo is adapting his offense to the 3-ball.  Just look at last year's numbers and it is not all because of Harris.  But like Rocinante said, if a Izzo can pull some bigs, he will. They are just tough to find and the last few targets have headed elsewhere.

edit: We do have Davis for 2015

Last edited by Nordic on 2014-09-25, 13:22; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-09-25, 13:18

as long as they can orientate themselves to a Final Four, I don't care.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-09-25, 13:19

I think this focus, which is hard to argue with, is Izzo responding to how the game is called more than how other teams are playing the game.

The points of emphasis reward flops over toughness, and offense over defense. Even a great big man doesn't do you much good if he is on the bench with 2 fouls.

Izzo has always liked to run. With this roster, especially in the 2015/16 season, I think we'll see some new things and the faster pace that we always want. Izzo will coach a different kind of toughness: get down the court faster than your man every time.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-09-25, 13:39

*thread title by blanch
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-09-25, 13:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:as long as they can orientate themselves to a Final Four, I don't care.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm? affraid
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-09-25, 14:00

NigelUno wrote:*thread title by blanch

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup? Z
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-09-25, 18:12

Shooting guard line ups sucks and bound for failure. Look no further than the 2005 illini
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-09-25, 18:14

Also our last two exit were both due to officiating. Other team can hack, we can't. Period.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2014-09-26, 12:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:as long as they can orientate themselves to a Final Four, I don't care.

Izzo moving to more guard orientated lineup? I-cant-lie-that-was-funny
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-09-26, 13:05

I still remember my freshman orientatation, there was this girl, Christy, and she was hot....
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down