Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morris has concussion

+7
Herbie Green
InTenSity
Toe
SeeRockCity
Robert J Sakimano
Rodeo Burger
kingstonlake
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Morris has concussion Empty Morris has concussion

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 1:12

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports/statement-dave-brandon-regarding-student-athlete-health-and-welfare

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Morris has concussion Empty Re: Morris has concussion

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 3:17

Wow, nothing like throwing your HC under the bus to try and save your job. You guys knew on Sunday he had a concussion but didn't mention it to the HC before Mondays presser? And why didn't Hoke find out on his own? This is beyond dumpster fire. There are no words. ANY I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 5:04

As much of a douche as the kid has always been, I still feel sorry for any kid that attends UM.

For the non-retards, it has to be impossible to reconcile what UM allows. It has to hurt the people who aren't morons.

I don't think my concerns come up very much.

#Drizzy
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 7:27

as a Spartan, it makes me proud to see Spartan Nation concerned with the welfare of this young man...

additionally, I suggest that you consider making a donation to The Brain Trauma Foundation..

The Brain Trauma Foundation
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 7:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:as a Spartan, it makes me proud to see Spartan Nation concerned with the welfare of this young man...

additionally, I suggest that you consider making a donation to The Brain Trauma Foundation..

I care about the welfare of Shane Morris? When?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 8:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:as a Spartan, it makes me proud to see Spartan Nation concerned with the welfare of this young man...

Thanks Bob.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 8:22

SeeRockCity wrote:

Thanks Bob.
you're quite welcome..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:18

gHost Spartan wrote:I haven't been following and I really don't give a fuck about this story or issue, but why did it take three days for them to tell us that Morris had a concussion? Also, was it the hit by the Minnesota player that the scUM slappies were saying was targeting? Because I saw the GIF and it didn't even look like he hit Morris in the head, it looked just below on the chest.

because blah blah blah leaders and best blah blah blah.

wanna get a pizza?

- Dave Brandon
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:20

I haven't been following and I really don't give a fuck about this story or issue, but why did it take three days for them to tell us that Morris had a concussion? Also, was it the hit by the Minnesota player that the scUM slappies were saying was targeting? Because I saw the GIF and it didn't even look like he hit Morris in the head, it looked just below on the chest.

This is a national news story, it was mentioned last night on at least NBC nightly news and this morning they had a segment on Good Morning America. 

Look, I understand the whole, trying not to look like I care what is happening over at the rivals place, but this is national news, not just the Detroit papers trying to suppress a story. Just embrace it and enjoy the ride of Schembechlerfreud. There's nothing wrong with it and you can be assured that if this were happening at MSU, the whole AD would be crumbling from the amount of pressure they would be receiving.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:29

I put aside my annoyance with so many UM threads for this story. If you don't find this interesting you need to check to see if you have a pulse.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:31

Bob has a good point. The disingenuous concern for this kid is gross. On this side it's rubbernecking, and on the um side it's an excuse to get rid of hoke/Brandon. Kinda disgusting really.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:39

Rocinante wrote:Bob has a good point. The disingenuous concern for this kid is gross. On this side it's rubbernecking, and on the um side it's an excuse to get rid of hoke/Brandon. Kinda disgusting really.
are you suggesting that we - the proud and humble Spartan Nation - is not concerned with this young man's well-being..?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:43

Rocinante wrote:Bob has a good point. The disingenuous concern for this kid is gross. On this side it's rubbernecking, and on the um side it's an excuse to get rid of hoke/Brandon. Kinda disgusting really.

you're right. if UM was 4-0, their fans wouldn't be talking about this kid at all. sad.
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 9:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
are you suggesting that we - the proud and humble Spartan Nation - is not concerned with this young man's well-being..?

No one is concerned about anyone's health. Things may look horrible, and give people a place to stand when something bad happens to a player they like, but most people are more upset that they might not win a game, rather than a person's health. I shouldn't say no one, there are Dr.'s and medical field professional's that work with people that have injuries that probably have concerns, but the average fan only cares about winning and losing.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:09

InTenSity wrote:
No one is concerned about anyone's health. Things may look horrible, and give people a place to stand when something bad happens to a player they like, but most people are more upset that they might not win a game, rather than a person's health. I shouldn't say no one, there are Dr.'s and medical field professional's that work with people that have injuries that probably have concerns, but the average fan only cares about winning and losing.
you summed me up perfectly.

as a proud and humble Spartan - I don't care about this kid at all. I only care about them losing.

GO GREEN!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:14

InTenSity wrote:

actually you're wrong. the average person/fan does care about the health of players. It the Fanatics who only care about W/L's.

Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:20

Toe wrote:

actually you're wrong. the average person/fan does care about the health of players. It the Fanatics who only care about W/L's.

Then I would expect that if I go to a hospital, I'll see all those fan(atics) working with injured HS kids who have concussions or other issues. People don't like seeing the images, but ultimately they don't care that much, if at all. Especially what happens to rival players. Half the NFL world, and all the Dolphins fan(atics)/people would love to see Brady get knocked out of a game. Lets just call a spade a spade, its easier that way.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:42

gHost Spartan wrote: I do find it interesting, just not every thread on the front page interesting. It's a shit show in AA, and it's great, we all hate those fu ckers.

Fletch actually had a brilliant post once: "Your opinion is not unique".

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:43

Toe wrote:

The Brain Trauma Foundation - Donate Now
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 11:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The Brain Trauma Foundation - Donate Now

done.

how about you?
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:07

Toe wrote:

done.

how about you?
donated..

the amount of pride I have in Spartan Nation for our collective concern with regard to Shane Morris is immeasurable.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:11

Robert J Sakimano wrote:donated..

the amount of pride I have in Spartan Nation for our collective concern with regard to Shane Morris is immeasurable.

I care enough to wish him well and a speedy recovery. Speedy enough to play on Oct 25th and get his shit pushed in.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:26

kingstonlake wrote:

I care enough to wish him well and a speedy recovery. Speedy enough to play on Oct 25th and get his shit pushed in.

Lulz
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 12:55

kingstonlake wrote:

I care enough to wish him well and a speedy recovery.
you should consider donating..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:you should consider donating..

Pass
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:30

I'm not giving a dime unless someone dumps cold water on themselves.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:37

kingstonlake wrote:

Pass
you're a great Spartan and I'm blinded by your humility..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:you're a great Spartan and I'm blinded by your humility..

I will start a fund that will take donations for a braille keyboard for you. Whatever it takes to keep you posting.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 13:54

kingstonlake wrote:

I will start a fund that will take donations for a braille keyboard for you. Whatever it takes to keep you posting.
I'll do it for Shane Morris.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 14:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'll do it for Shane Morris.

As a non graduate of MSU, I am moderately impressed by your compassion.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 14:56

Now a Congressman is asking for an investigation into why Morris went back out.

Why did Morris play?

Sept. 30, 2014
Mr. Jim Delany
Commissioner
The Big Ten Conference
5440 Park Place
Rosemont, IL 60018

Dear Mr. Delany:
I am writing to express my strong concern with the response to a recent concussion in your Conference. As the co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Brain Injury Task Force, I urge you to re-evaluate the Big Ten's policies and their implementation in light of what modern medicine has taught us about head injuries.
In the U.S. Congress, the Congressional Brain Injury Task Force, which works to increase awareness of brain injury in the United States, supports research initiatives for rehabilitation and potential cures, and strives to address the effects such injuries have on families, children, education, and the workforce.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as many as 3.8 million sports- and recreation-related TBIs are estimated to occur in the United States each year, ranging from relatively mild concussions to fatal head injuries. Though symptoms may appear minor, the injury can have life-long effects on an individual's memory, behavior, learning, and/or emotions.
The threat was on full display during the University of Michigan's (Michigan) game against the University of Minnesota. After Michigan quarterback Shane Morris sustained a brutal hit from a Minnesota player, he struggled to stand up, appeared groggy, and almost collapsed into one of his teammate's arms. Despite exhibiting tell-tale signs of a concussion, Morris was kept in the game for one play, and then hobbled off the field. He later re-entered the game for a short period before leaving the field.
During a press conference on Monday afternoon, Michigan coach Brady Hoke initially stated that he "[didn't] know if [Morris] has a concussion or not." Hoke also stated that "Shane's a pretty competitive, tough kid. And Shane wanted to be the quarterback, and so, believe me, if he didn't want to be, he would've come to the sideline or stayed down." Allowing a possibly concussed player to determine whether or not he is fit to return to play not only violates common sense, but is also an egregious violation of standard concussion protocol, including protocol set forth by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Big Ten Conference.
In a statement released by Michigan's Athletic Director early Tuesday morning, Michigan revealed that Morris in fact did sustain a concussion and blamed a "lack of communication" as the reason that Morris returned to the game. According to the statement, not one member of the coaching staff, medical staff, or athletic training staff on the sidelines that day saw Morris get hit; so, after having an ankle injury examined, he was cleared for one additional play.
As you know, earlier this year, the NCAA struck a tentative agreement with a group of former players who filed suit against the organization for medical problems stemming from concussions sustained during their college football careers. Under the terms of the settlement, current or former players would be prohibited from filing personal injury class action suits seeking a judgment for long-term medical problems stemming from concussions. Players would still be able to file individual personal injury suits, but these don't typically carry the same power as class action suits. Additionally, none of the settlement funds are used for players' medical costs.
However, as part of the settlement, the NCAA schools would have to follow certain procedures when their players suffer head trauma. One of these procedures prohibits players from being returned to play after a possible concussion on the same day. After the NCAA's new protocols were announced, you touted the fact that the Big Ten had adopted similar protocols in 2010 stating, "It was the safest and broadest plan we could enact. It makes for a healthier game — and that is what everyone wants." I think we both can agree that if protocols can simply be overlooked and ignored, they will be no meaningful impact on the safety of players.
I strongly urge you to investigate the circumstances surrounding Shane Morris's injury and the decision to return him to play. Additionally, I ask that you reexamine the protocols in place and determine what changes can be made to improve them. I also urge you to establish penalties for violations of concussion protocols. Every concussion is brain damage and must be diagnosed and treated by appropriate medical personnel, who prioritize players' health, safety, and well-being.
Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response.
Sincerely,
Bill Pascrell, Jr.
Member of Congress
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:04

Holy shit! Congress??!!
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:07

I'm glad that things are going so well in America and the world that a congressman can take the time and show such compassion to a football player..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:08

InTenSity wrote:Now a Congressman is asking for an investigation into why Morris went back out.

Why did Morris play?

Morris has concussion 502811600 Morris has concussion 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm glad that things are going so well in America and the world that a congressman can take the time and show such compassion to a football player..

Not just any football player. A fine Wolverine and head trauma victim.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:13

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Morris has concussion 502811600 Morris has concussion 502811600
"Hey Sugar Dumplin', screw unemployment, ISIS, national security, border control, rising healthcare costs, education, abortion, climate change, ebola, the global financial crisis, civil rights, animal rights, foreign policy, and gun control... get me a pen.. I'm writin' me a letter about college football"..

Morris has concussion 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:15

kingstonlake wrote:

Not just any football player. A fine Wolverine and head trauma victim.
The Brain Trauma Foundation - Donate
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

In reality it is probably more productive than anything anyone else in Congress has done today. Dude is chair of brain injury task force so this is relevant to his interests.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:22

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

In reality it is probably more productive than anything anyone else in Congress has done today. Dude is chair of brain injury task force so this is relevant to his interests.

I was wondering what the connection was. This makes sense now.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:22

Herbie Green wrote:

good point.

maybe when he's finished with Shane Morris, he can check on Sarah Palin.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next