Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebola......

+47
SawGreen
MiamiSpartan
StylesGShmooth
Giant Moose
Turtleneck
Tankster
Breslin Usher
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
LoneWolfSparty
tTy
Cym Jim
Nordic
dubie7006
SpartanInNH
Rodeo Burger
xsanguine
TheBlitzIsOn
Robert J Sakimano
All Your Base
By-Tor
75alum
WhiteBoyHatcher
Toe
kingstonlake
beal99
Big Ten Referee
CheesySpartan
WBill
AvgMSUJoe
goodbar
Mentalstate
Other Teams Pursuing That
The_Dude
Nommad2
Watch Out Pylon!
Jake from State Farm
Izzo Court
Wally Fairway
I.B. Fine
steveschneider
InTenSity
HT
DWags
Ass Dan
Rocinante
51 posters

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Ebola...... - Page 6 Empty Re: Ebola......

Post by DWags 2014-10-15, 00:13

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I bought another gun today. Just in case.

Well that I flippin love guns....

If you shoot Ebola victims and their blood splatters..., you're a dumb ass.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-15, 00:16

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

No one cares what you think. Idiot.

Go suck one.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-10-15, 06:02

steveschneider wrote:

Go suck one.

I will after your mom finishes with it.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 07:54

LooseGoose wrote:

We started moving reinforcements into the bunk house today.

I project we can hold out for 3-5 years while the 'Bola runs it's course.

I'm hoping the world will be a better, more loving place when this is over.

Let me know if you want to bring the Schwinn inside the perimeter Bob.
will I be able to watch the game?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-10-15, 07:55

The world is sick... we're due for a good culling.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-15, 08:49

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Great come back.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-15, 08:55

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

And one more thing....

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 09:09

To get political, but the scary thing about Ebola. Treating it in the US isn't profitable, the hospitals don't have a protocol for dealing with the virus because they never thought they would need to. The US is only about profits, and if it isn't profitable, then there is no reason to be ready to deal with it, administration is going to make medical decisions based on whether or not it is good for the hospitals bottom line. 

A nursing supervisor faced resistance from hospital authorities when the supervisor demanded that Duncan be moved to an isolation unit, the nurses said, according to the union.

After expressing concerns that their necks were exposed even as they wore protective gear, the nurses were told to wrap their necks with medical tape, the union says.
"They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck," Burger said.

If true, that is scary. The hospital would have resisted putting Duncan in isolation because most likely he didn't have insurance, so infecting other people with a deadly disease is a better option than isolating someone without insurance. US healthcare is an illusion and if Ebola makes it here, we will find out how 'superior' our for profit healthcare system really is.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-10-15, 09:46

TentCity...old news is old. Our prison system is for profit too. Also what do you think big pharma does? They only care about coming out with drugs to help people if it makes them money.

However, of course hospitals here have no idea what to do with a potential ebola patient. Isnt that why we have the CDC? To take control of these situations over local hospitals?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 09:52

The_Dude wrote:TentCity...old news is old. Our prison system is for profit too. Also what do you think big pharma does? They only care about coming out with drugs to help people if it makes them money.

However, of course hospitals here have no idea what to do with a potential ebola patient. Isnt that why we have the CDC? To take control of these situations over local hospitals?
I know that you are on a CDC kick right now. How was the CDC supposed to take over if the hospital didn't even think he was contagious at the beginning? Are they supposed to monitor every hospital in the US? I don't like big pharma and I think the for profit prison system is keeping archaic laws in place. 
Basically I don't think this perversion that the US calls a free market is a true free market and that big companies wouldn't be competitive in a true free market, so they need government protection and handouts in order to survive.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 10:34

InTenSity wrote:To get political, but the scary thing about Ebola. Treating it in the US isn't profitable, the hospitals don't have a protocol for dealing with the virus because they never thought they would need to. The US is only about profits, and if it isn't profitable, then there is no reason to be ready to deal with it, administration is going to make medical decisions based on whether or not it is good for the hospitals bottom line. 

If true, that is scary. The hospital would have resisted putting Duncan in isolation because most likely he didn't have insurance, so infecting other people with a deadly disease is a better option than isolating someone without insurance. US healthcare is an illusion and if Ebola makes it here, we will find out how 'superior' our for profit healthcare system really is.

all of my silliness aside, there are two main reasons that the United States has sat back and allowed this problem to manifest and eventually show up on our shores:

1. There is no money to be made in the vaccine... or an experimental vaccine. Plain and simple.

2. West Africa has no resources or anything that would otherwise make us overly concerned with their welfare. If Liberia was sitting on an oil reserve, you can bet we wouldn't have waited until Ebola came to America to suddenly become concerned with it.

Bottom line - money drives everything. If you think otherwise, you're either naive or not being honest with yourself.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-15, 12:15

Have you ever wondered how Ebola could spread, right here in the good old USofA

Welp, how about if this new 2nd person to contract Ebola from the guy in Dallas actually flew up to Cleveland on Oct 10 and then back on Oct 13 and was admitted to the hospital on Oct 14.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

so to keep the tally going on this:
3 people with Ebola in 'merica; 1 of them has died

Nordic o/u 250
tTy o/u 1,000.5
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-10-15, 12:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:all of my silliness aside, there are two main reasons that the United States has sat back and allowed this problem to manifest and eventually show up on our shores:

1. There is no money to be made in the vaccine... or an experimental vaccine. Plain and simple.

Bottom line - money drives everything. If you think otherwise, you're either naive or not being honest with yourself.

Mostly true.....except this.

The woman who heads that office, and reports directly to the HHS secretary, has been mysteriously invisible from the public handling of this threat. And she’s still on the job even though three years ago she was embroiled in a huge scandal of funneling a major stream of funding to a company with ties to a Democratic donor—and away from a company that was developing a treatment now being used on Ebola patients.

You can—and should—read all about it in the Los Angeles Times‘ excellent front-page expose from November 2011, headlined: “Cost, need questioned in $433-million smallpox drug deal: A company controlled by a longtime political donor gets a no-bid contract to supply an experimental remedy for a threat that may not exist.” This Forbes piece is also interesting.

The donor is billionaire Ron Perelman, who was controlling shareholder of Siga. He’s a huge Democratic donor but he also gets Republicans to play for his team, of course. Siga was under scrutiny even back in October 2010 when The Huffington Post reported that it had named labor leader Andy Stern to its board and “compensated him with stock options that would become dramatically more valuable if the company managed to win the contract it sought with HHS—an agency where Stern has deep connections, having helped lead the year-plus fight for health care reform as then head of the Service Employees International Union.”

The award was controversial from almost every angle—including disputes about need, efficacy, and extremely high costs. There were also complaints about awarding a company of its size and structure a small business award as well as the negotiations involved in granting the award. It was so controversial that even Democrats in tight election races were calling for investigations.

Last month, Siga filed for bankruptcy after it was found liable for breaching a licensing contract. The drug it’s been trying to develop, which was projected to have limited utility, has not really panned out—yet the feds have continued to give valuable funds to the company even though the law would permit them to recoup some of their costs or to simply stop any further funding.

The Los Angeles Times revealed that, during the fight over the grant, Lurie wrote to Siga’s chief executive, Dr. Eric A. Rose, to tell him that someone new would be taking over the negotiations with the company. She wrote, “I trust this will be satisfactory to you.” Later she denied that she’d had any contact with Rose regarding the contract, saying such contact would have been inappropriate.

The company that most fought the peculiar sole-source contract award to Siga was Chimerix, which argued that its drug had far more promise than Siga’s. And, in fact, Chimerix’s Brincidofovir is an antiviral medication being developed for treatment of smallpox but also Ebola and adenovirus. In animal trials, it’s shown some success against adenoviruses, smallpox, and herpes—and preliminary tests show some promise against Ebola. On Oct. 6, the FDA authorized its use for some Ebola patients.

It was given to Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan, who died, and Ashoka Mukpo, who doctors said had improved. Mukpo even tweeted that he was on the road to recovery.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/10/14/president-obama-already-has-an-ebola-czar-where-is-she/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-10-15, 12:41

Wally Fairway wrote:Have you ever wondered how Ebola could spread, right here in the good old USofA

Welp, how about if this new 2nd person to contract Ebola from the guy in Dallas actually flew up to Cleveland on Oct 10 and then back on Oct 13 and was admitted to the hospital on Oct 14.

Nordic o/u 250
tTy o/u 1,000.5

I guess we'll see how communicable Ebola is over the next couple of weeks. If anyone on that airplane comes down with it, I may start on my own bunker.
Anyone ever read Stephen King's "The Stand"? book started out with manipulated disease breaking containment in a govt facility and one guy gets out before they shut the facility down. He makes a run for it with his family and within a few pages it was a worldwide epidemic. I've been thinking about that too much lately.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2014-10-15, 12:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

all of my silliness aside, there are two main reasons that the United States has sat back and allowed this problem to manifest and eventually show up on our shores:

2. West Africa has no resources or anything that would otherwise make us overly concerned with their welfare. If Liberia was sitting on an oil reserve, you can bet we wouldn't have waited until Ebola came to America to suddenly become concerned with it.

While I agree with your point, you don't go nearly far enough. In theory, we elect leaders to make tough decisions regardless of money or political consequences. Without playing the partisan game, I think it is clear to see that the government decision process has become totally tied to political considerations ahead of what is "the right thing to do" for the country, by both parties.
We need to do a lot more than merely ask people how the feel and take their temperature as they come here from West Africa, restricting immigration would seem to be a prudent action, if not for the worries of some on how it may affect the ongoing illegal immigrant debate. Also, as Goose points out, this is not the time (is it ever?) to hide political appointees who are incapable of doing critical jobs. We all remember Bush and 'Brownie' at FEMA, this situation could prove much more dire.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-10-15, 13:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Ebola...... - Page 6 3493939353
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-10-15, 14:06

Wally Fairway wrote:Have you ever wondered how Ebola could spread, right here in the good old USofA

Nordic o/u 250
tTy o/u 1,000.5

What a colossal fuck up by this broad and the hospital staff (if they did not order everyone how was involved with the first patient to stay put).  Actions of this selfish bitch are the type of shit that could make tTy's prediction come true.  WTF was so goddamn important that she needed to gallivant across the country while potentially caring Ebola? I seriously want her to answer this question. I forgot to calculate stupidity and arrogance into my equation.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 14:16

I.B. Fine wrote:

While I agree with your point, you don't go nearly far enough. In theory, we elect leaders to make tough decisions regardless of money or political consequences. Without playing the partisan game, I think it is clear to see that the government decision process has become totally tied to political considerations ahead of what is "the right thing to do" for the country, by both parties.
We need to do a lot more than merely ask people how the feel and take their temperature as they come here from West Africa, restricting immigration would seem to be a prudent action, if not for the worries of some on how it may affect the ongoing illegal immigrant debate. Also, as Goose points out, this is not the time (is it ever?) to hide political appointees who are incapable of doing critical jobs. We all remember Bush and 'Brownie' at FEMA, this situation could prove much more dire.
that's an interesting theory.. someone should found a country based on that.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-10-15, 14:19

Robert J Sakimano wrote:that's an interesting theory.. someone should found a country based on that.

I think someone already tried that. Didn't work out too well...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 14:49

xsanguine wrote:

I think someone already tried that. Didn't work out too well...
hmmm.. yeah - sounds familiar.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-15, 14:57

Nordic wrote:What a colossal fuck up by this broad and the hospital staff (if they did not order everyone how was involved with the first patient to stay put).  Actions of this selfish bitch are the type of shit that could make tTy's prediction come true.  WTF was so goddamn important that she needed to gallivant across the country while potentially caring Ebola? I seriously want her to answer this question. I forgot to calculate stupidity and arrogance into my equation.
Never underestimate nor bet against stupidity
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 15:05

Wally Fairway wrote:
Never underestimate nor bet against stupidity
the very essence of our country is dependent on stupidity..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-15, 15:10

I.B. Fine wrote:

I guess we'll see how communicable Ebola is over the next couple of weeks. If anyone on that airplane comes down with it, I may start on my own bunker.
Anyone ever read Stephen King's "The Stand"? book started out with manipulated disease breaking containment in a govt facility and one guy gets out before they shut the facility down. He makes a run for it with his family and within a few pages it was a worldwide epidemic. I've been thinking about that too much lately.

Great book.

They should charge that nurse with an act of terrorism. Sooner or later this thing is going to hit NYC, and when that happens the panic button will be pushed. Stock market will crash, tourism industry will take a hit, retail is going to suffer, people are going to hoard gloves, bleach, garbage bags, dry food, ammunition. Dark times are ahead.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 15:13

FYI - all of you allowing the media to make you panic over Ebola... between 3,000 - 30,000 Americans will die of influenza this flu season..

okay - back to panicking. Ebola...... - Page 6 1550444538
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 15:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:FYI - all of you allowing the media to make you panic over Ebola... between 3,000 - 30,000 Americans will die of influenza this flu season..

okay - back to panicking. Ebola...... - Page 6 1550444538
What's the age group that mostly dies from Influenza? Under 2 and over 75? I haven't taken a flu shot, that I know of, ever, should I be  drunken ?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 15:26

InTenSity wrote:
What's the age group that mostly dies from Influenza? Under 2 and over 75? I haven't taken a flu shot, that I know of, ever, should I be  drunken ?
InTenSity wrote:
not real sure which demographic is most vulnerable. I've never had a flu shot. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I just never get around to it.

good article here from the NYT - Scarier Than Ebola

also funny how the people freaking out over dying from Ebola aren't afraid to eat piles of potato chips and maintain sedentary lifestyles.. risk factors much more likely to kill you than Ebola.

of course, that would require them not to be beholden to the media.. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 15:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

not real sure which demographic is most vulnerable. I've never had a flu shot. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, I just never get around to it.

good article here from the NYT - Scarier Than Ebola

also funny how the people freaking out over dying from Ebola aren't afraid to eat piles of potato chips and maintain sedentary lifestyles.. risk factors much more likely to kill you than Ebola.

of course, that would require them not to be beholden to the media.. Rolling Eyes
Ummm, Ebola will kill you in about a month. Delicious potato chips will take years, if not decades to kill me. I saw a headline on the paper today, Ebola is now killing 70% of the infected in Africa. Its also a relatively alien virus on American soil. Would it be ironic if it was brought over and spread through a blanket?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 15:38

InTenSity wrote:
Ummm, Ebola will kill you in about a month. Delicious potato chips will take years, if not decades to kill me. I saw a headline on the paper today, Ebola is now killing 70% of the infected in Africa. Its also a relatively alien virus on American soil. Would it be ironic if it was brought over and spread through a blanket?
I think I'll just sit around tonight on the couch watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc... maybe grab some food from McDonalds.. while panicking over Ebola.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-10-15, 15:39

On Michigan roads 694 people have died this year so far... says on my way into Lansing every morning... That will top a grand when winter kicks in.

No CNN/Faux news specials on that.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 15:41

AvgMSUJoe wrote:On Michigan roads 694 people have died this year so far... says on my way into Lansing every morning... That will top a grand when winter kicks in.

No CNN/Faux news specials on that.
you're not being a good sheep..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-15, 16:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
you're not being a good sheep..

The market has erased all of the gains for the year!  Ebola...... - Page 6 1550444538
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-10-15, 16:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:you're not being a good sheep..

Tell us more on how not to be a member of the flock.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-15, 16:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

now you can just go and shut your whore mouth

and also it should be noted that a couple of people in the Lansing area were killed riding their bikes in the last month or two
(Bob that may or may not be a warning . . . . are you listening Bob?)
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-15, 16:29

Nordic wrote:What a colossal fuck up by this broad and the hospital staff (if they did not order everyone how was involved with the first patient to stay put).  Actions of this selfish bitch are the type of shit that could make tTy's prediction come true.  WTF was so goddamn important that she needed to gallivant across the country while potentially caring Ebola? I seriously want her to answer this question. I forgot to calculate stupidity and arrogance into my equation.
Oh Hey....guess what, stupid bitch had Ebola symptoms BEFORE she got on the flight back to Dallas.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ebola-nurse-had-fever-before-boarding-flight-2014-10-15
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-10-15, 16:35

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
I think I'll just sit around tonight on the couch watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc... maybe grab some food from McDonalds.. while panicking over Ebola.

you dumb sumbitch.....you gonna get the ebolabeetus!

Ebola...... - Page 6 Wilford_Brimley
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 16:58

Wally Fairway wrote:

now you can just go and shut your whore mouth

and also it should be noted that a couple of people in the Lansing area were killed riding their bikes in the last month or two
(Bob that may or may not be a warning . . . . are you listening Bob?)
yeah - the one lady that got killed up near Dewitt.. I ride that loop a lot. Bad stuff.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-15, 16:59

goodbar wrote:

you dumb sumbitch.....you gonna get the ebolabeetus!

Ebola...... - Page 6 Wilford_Brimley
that dude's liver scares Ebola.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2014-10-15, 17:27

tTy wrote:OK, serious question(s) here...

If this dude in Dallas left the hospital, sick as fuck, and came back two days later and only THEN infected a nurse who was allegedly dressed head to toe in full hazmat gear, how many people on the outside are going to come down with this shit in the next couple days? Is it even possible that he did NOT infect someone else if he was sicker as shit as advertised when he left he hospital for 48 hours, given that we are told that victims are contagious when showing symptoms of ebola?

He went to the hospital first on 9/25. The incubation of this particular strain is something like 21 days, give or take.....By Thursday this week (10/16/14), I would expect that at least another case or three will pop up, again, give or take a couple days depending upon the actual incubation period....

hi
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-15, 17:30

Wally Fairway wrote:
Oh Hey....guess what, stupid bitch had Ebola symptoms BEFORE she got on the flight back to Dallas.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ebola-nurse-had-fever-before-boarding-flight-2014-10-15

That stupid bitch should be charged with terrorism.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-10-15, 17:30

Can't wait to watch evening news and hear the opinions of all these guest doctors.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next