Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must Get Government Job...

+7
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
75alum
Rocinante
LoneWolfSparty
InTenSity
Heat Miser
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Must Get Government Job... Empty Must Get Government Job...

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 09:18

...to enjoy these bonus holidays, light workload, and primo bennies.

OTOH, the light traffic is nice and government jobs usually pay for shit.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Must Get Government Job... Empty Re: Must Get Government Job...

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-11, 09:28

For some reason I thought you worked from home. 

I thought, hmmm traffic won't be too bad, maybe I can stay on the Shula and exit on Bird Rd. Well that was a stupid mistake, even on holidays that thing is backed up almost all the way to the exit. Still took me 40 minutes to get to work this morning.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-11, 09:28

But then you'd be working for the government. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 09:38

InTenSity wrote:For some reason I thought you worked from home. 

I thought, hmmm traffic won't be too bad, maybe I can stay on the Shula and exit on Bird Rd. Well that was a stupid mistake, even on holidays that thing is backed up almost all the way to the exit. Still took me 40 minutes to get to work this morning.

New client in Coral Gables. Less work from home.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-11, 09:39

Lemme know if you wanna have lunch sometime. Ale House on Miracle Mile has $4.99 lunches. Jimmy Johns is good too.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 09:40

InTenSity wrote:
Lemme know if you wanna have lunch sometime. Ale House on Miracle Mile has $4.99 lunches. Jimmy Johns is good too.

Will do.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 09:53

I have a government job and the pay is shit compared to the private sector, but as all the private sector jobs in my field seem to think your time off is only at their convenience, I prefer it right now. Maybe the lure of more money will draw me back to consulting some day, but not today. Also I'm a vet, so thanks for calling veteran's day a bonus holiday. You're welcome for those 4 years of my life.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 09:59

Rocinante wrote:I have a government job and the pay is shit compared to the private sector, but as all the private sector jobs in my field seem to think your time off is only at their convenience, I prefer it right now. Maybe the lure of more money will draw me back to consulting some day, but not today. Also I'm a vet, so thanks for calling veteran's day a bonus holiday. You're welcome for those 4 years of my life.

I figured somebody would get butt hurt over that. Make it a holiday for everybody and I won't call it a bonus holiday.

Also, unless you were in tNam, did someone force or trick you into serving? Were you not compensated? Are you not receiving a lifetime of benefits not available to the rest of us for your service.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 10:10

I mean... I guess. I get to have a neat license plate if I want it. Most of the "benefits" are for vets that are also in dire economic straights, which I am not. No. Nobody tricked me. I chose to serve. My point was less "I'm awesome because I'm a vet" and more "your job probably compensates you in other ways much better than mine so let me have today off and stfu."
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-11, 10:13

If Heat really wants holidays he should move to India. Our outsource partner in India gets mad holidays.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-11-11, 10:16

LoneWolfSparty wrote:But then you'd be working for the government. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

.......and my balls
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-11, 10:17

You could also do what I do and work for a bank to get your "bonus holidays." If it makes you feel better though, while we get federal holidays off, we don't get any other random days that a lot of other jobs get. For instance, Christmas is on a Thursday this year- I'll be at work the 24th and 26th... based on traffic, not many people say the same thing. (Admittedly, i wont be doing shit and will probably work at least half of those days from home. But still.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-11, 10:23

I just want the government to keep it's filthy hands out of my Medicare..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:24

Rocinante wrote:"your job probably compensates you in other ways much better than mine."

Which it's what I said in my OP, but don't let that stop your faux outrage.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 10:28

That was not my outrage. That was my mild annoyance. If you want to call it faux mild annoyance that's fine.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:29

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:You could also do what I do and work for a bank to get your "bonus holidays." If it makes you feel better though, while we get federal holidays off, we don't get any other random days that a lot of other jobs get. For instance, Christmas is on a Thursday this year- I'll be at work the 24th and 26th... based on traffic, not many people say the same thing. (Admittedly, i wont be doing shit and will probably work at least half of those days from home. But still.)

Most private sector non-union jobs don't get any "random" holidays. You get the big 6. Xmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and July 4th. Anything else is a bonus. I get one "floater", so that's nice I guess.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 10:32

I thought almost all private companies did MLK these days.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:33

Rocinante wrote:That was not my outrage. That was my mild annoyance. If you want to call it faux mild annoyance that's fine.

What exactly is the "annoyance"? The insinuation that government jobs are easier? The term "bonus"? What?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-11, 10:34

Heat Miser wrote:

Most private sector non-union jobs don't get any "random" holidays. You get the big 6. Xmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and July 4th. Anything else is a bonus. I get one "floater", so that's nice I guess.
All's I'm saying is that most everyone I knows offices are closed those days. Can't speak for yours. But it's not like I've never worked a nonbank job in my life and I'm oblivious to what it's like elsewhere.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:36

Rocinante wrote:I thought almost all private companies did MLK these days.

Nope. tWife's law office allows her to pick one of MLK or Presidents Day, but law and banks are tied to government so I don't really count them.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-11, 10:37

My favorite is getting Columbus Day off. That one makes no sense and is just lovely.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

All's I'm saying is that most everyone I knows offices are closed those days. Can't speak for yours. But it's not like I've never worked a nonbank job in my life and I'm oblivious to what it's like elsewhere.

Interesting. I don't think I know hardly anyone whose offices are closed those days and I've worked non-bank jobs my whole life. You want 12/24, 12/26 or the day after Thanksgiving off? You take a vacation day.

Mrs. Miser's firm actually revoked their day after Thanksgiving holiday in 2014.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 10:42

Heat Miser wrote:

What exactly is the "annoyance"? The insinuation that government jobs are easier? The term "bonus"? What?

I didn't see where you said government jobs were easier, but it often annoys me a bit when it is suggested that just because I work for an agency, I must be living it up suckling from the public teat. So that along with the term "bonus"... I guess the overall tone of your post was a bit annoying, yes. I'm certainly not outraged, and as soon as I'm done taking a shit, I'll likely forget all about it. Gotta go take care of the snow.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My favorite is getting Columbus Day off. That one makes no sense and is just lovely.

Yeah, that one annoys me given the myth vs. reality on Columbus.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-11-11, 10:47

When I did the brick and mortar office role for years, it was a mixed bag. Day after Thanksgiving was usually off, although my deadlines didn't change so I was either grinding to get stuff done before hand, or I'd either work from home or go in for a few hours if I needed to meet with other people.

The day before Christmas and New Years was almost always a day off. But that had a lot (mostly) to do with our clients who weren't working either. As with most private sector jobs, when something needs to be done, you come in early and stay late without extra pay.

Everything is a trade off. If you are guaranteed a floor, your ceiling won't be as high. Different strokes for different folks.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-11, 10:49

Rocinante wrote:

I didn't see where you said government jobs were easier, but it often annoys me a bit when it is suggested that just because I work for an agency, I must be living it up suckling from the public teat. So that along with the term "bonus"... I guess the overall tone of your post was a bit annoying, yes. I'm certainly not outraged, and as soon as I'm done taking a shit, I'll likely forget all about it. Gotta go take care of the snow.
Rocinante wrote:

shouldn't you be at work? slacker.
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-11, 10:50

Heat Miser wrote:

Yeah, that one annoys me given the myth vs. reality on Columbus.

Oh brother.....
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-11, 10:51

Heat, you're a surly sonofabitch sometimes, you have to admit. I mean, I like it, but its true.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-11, 10:51

My company gives 7 holidays a year, NYD, Memorial, 4th, Labor, TG, day after TG, Xmas.

Since the 4th falls on a weekend next year, they are not giving us that day. I have 20 PTO days a year, and I can carry over 5. 

I wouldn't care that much, but I know that this company has zero loyalty to its employee's, and basically looks to milk everything out of them. Depending on your boss, you could get in trouble for being late, but no one is rewarded for working more than 50 hours a week. Basically there is no real incentive, other than keeping your job, for working hard.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:51

Rocinante wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Well, it is in fact the "public teat" that pays for all those (can we call them "extra"? "additional"? how about "superfluous"?) holidays and bennies is it not? And it's not like the news is completely void of stories about the government pissing away money and selling itself to the highest bidder is it?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-11, 10:51

Heat Miser wrote:

Interesting. I don't think I know hardly anyone whose offices are closed those days and I've worked non-bank jobs my whole life. You want 12/24, 12/26 or the day after Thanksgiving off? You take a vacation day.

Mrs. Miser's firm actually revoked their day after Thanksgiving holiday in 2014.
Yeah, I've never had that day off. Of course, I like working that day. Convenient excuse to not have to go shopping with anyone or have extended family time. 

In fact, that goes for the day after Christmas too. I guess i should point out that I'm not bitching, seeing as I could try to use vacation days those days (not everyone is allowed to, they need some staff in case there is a credit analysis emergency. There won't be.) But I don't. Since I don't have kids or anything it's pretty NBD to me. I'd rather have a day off in October to celebrate everyone's favorite Italian.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-11, 10:55

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:My favorite is getting Columbus Day off. That one makes no sense and is just lovely.
I always use Columbus Day to remind me to refocus on how opposed I, an upper-middle class male of European descent, am to immigration..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-11, 10:55

LoneWolfSparty wrote:But then you'd be working for the government. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Thank you for your service.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-11, 10:57

this thread is funny in light of all of the flag-wavin' Americans honoring veterans today.. Must Get Government Job... 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-11, 10:57

most companies remain open 12/24. However, unless you're in a service biz, you usually get day after Thanksgiving off.
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 10:57

Rocinante wrote:Heat, you're a surly sonofabitch sometimes, you have to admit. I mean, I like it, but its true.

Must Get Government Job... 502811600 Fair enough. I do aspire to be a crotchety old man someday, & tMrs. says I'm coming along nicely, but at least I'm not trotting out a 10+ year old worn out troll persona like some other folks. Must Get Government Job... 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-11, 10:59

Rocinante wrote:Heat, you're a surly sonofabitch sometimes, you have to admit. I mean, I like it, but its true.
he also has a really short fuse in terms of some people's posting style..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-11, 11:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:he also has a really short fuse in terms of some people's posting style..

Posts like this are why people hate you.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-11, 11:03

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
he also has a really short fuse in terms of some people's posting style..

When the posting style is 10 years old is it still a "short fuse"? I'd say it was a very long fuse that has burned up over a long time and is now short.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-11, 11:05

Heat Miser wrote:

When the posting style is 10 years old is it still a "short fuse"? I'd say it was a very long fuse that has burned up over a long time and is now short.
bump..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next