Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

+17
Wally Fairway
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
Cym Jim
Brock Middlebrook
InTenSity
SpartanInNH
Stoops21
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Herbie Green
Watch Out Pylon!
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
Heat Miser
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... Empty Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 12:08

... culture slow to change:

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but culture slow to change

50+ win in 5 years yet can't fill stadium for entire game. No
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... Empty Re: Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-17, 12:18

I haven't scrolled down yet to see who penned this masterpiece. I'm going to guess Giffith or Griffin or whatever Peter's name is.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... Empty Re: Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but...

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 12:25

meh.. very few college football stadiums are "filled to the brim" start to finish..

a) we're playing Rutgers
b) temps will be around freezing (if we're lucky)
c) 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field"

vs.

a) a flat screen HD television
b) fully stocked fridge
c) short walk to the bathroom
d) a remote control to combat the 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field" reviews
e) thermostat set on a toasty 72 degrees

I think the one former player who was morally outraged a week or so ago better get his Twitter fingers limbered up.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2014-11-17, 12:26; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-17, 12:26

If the tickets are sold. Who cares? Fuck off Griffith. How's the big hole looking these days?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-17, 12:37

Shut up and be happy that people are paying to watch you play. Paying a lot.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 12:39

Rocinante wrote:If the tickets are sold. Who cares? Fuck off Griffith. How's the big hole looking these days?

SCum hasn't won 50 games in 5 years. The peer schools to compare to here are 'Bama, FSU, Oregon, tO$U, Wiscy, Nebraska, etc.

They're all filling their stadiums better than we are. Having not seen this level of sustained success since the 50's, SS should be overflowing.

And P.S. the big shit hole could be 30k short of capacity & it would still have more people in it than SS. But yeah, it's cold & big TV & shitty opponent blah blah blah.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 12:41

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Shut up and be happy that people are paying to watch you play. Paying a lot.

You could get about the same number of people at 6-6 so why put forth all the extra effort? Attendance is not all that different from the days of Boobie & Slappy.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-17, 12:42

Heat Miser wrote:

SCum hasn't won 50 games in 5 years. The peer schools to compare to here are 'Bama, FSU, Oregon, tO$U, Wiscy, Nebraska, etc.

They're all filling their stadiums better than we are. Having not seen this level of sustained success since the 50's, SS should be overflowing.

And P.S. the big shit hole could be 30k short of capacity & it would still have more people in it than SS. But yeah, it's cold & big TV & shitty opponent blah blah blah.
Lotsa empty seats for Wisconsin against Nebraska this week. It's a country wide problem, not just us.

But I'll shut up. that doesn't fit the narrative.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 12:42

Heat Miser wrote:

if I was the former player on Twitter I would give you a +1..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 12:53

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Lotsa empty seats for Wisconsin against Nebraska this week. It's a country wide problem, not just us.

But I'll shut up. that doesn't fit the narrative.

ATTENDANCE: 80,539
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-17, 12:54

Heat Miser wrote:

Wasn't Saban calling out either the fans or students recently about Bama attendance? What is the tailgating restrictions, if there are any, for Whisky? Oregon's stadium is 54k? There is nothing to do in the N. Florida except go to the beach and to football games. UM has had a hard time filling up, they are just giving away a shit ton of tickets this year. 

Schools are going to have to start getting rid of restrictions to tailgating, and hell, even making it tough for families to go, if you can't take a bag in the stadium. Maybe if these places treated fans, as...oh hell, I dunno, people, instead of potential terrorists, they might start to increase attendance. I guess the one positive thing of declining numbers, is that it doesn't make it worth Al Queda's time to blow up a stadium with a dirty bomb.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-17, 12:55

Heat Miser wrote:

What was our official attendance against Nebraska? What will it be against rutgers? It's not about tickets sold, it's about people actually showing up and staying.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-11-17, 13:06

Heat Miser wrote:

You do realize that attendance number is tickets sold, right?

I'm going to the game, but only because I don't keep my home thermostat at 72 like big money Bob.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:07

InTenSity wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Wasn't Saban calling out either the fans or students recently about Bama attendance?
and yet they still avg 100k. Rich people problems

What is the tailgating restrictions, if there are any, for Whisky? so what?

Oregon's stadium is 54k? Maybe that's what we need?

There is nothing to do in the N. Florida except go to the beach and to football games.
so what? surely you don't think all Gator fans live in N. Florida

UM has had a hard time filling up, they are just giving away a shit ton of tickets this year.
Again...they have a hard time filling 110k for a shitty team. We have a hard time filling 75k for a top 10 team
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:10

Wally Fairway wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

You do realize that attendance number is tickets sold, right?

I'm going to the game, but only because I don't keep my home thermostat at 72 like big money Bob.

Why yes, Wally, yes I do realize that. If you can show me a website that has actual in game head counts rather than anecdotal "I saw empty seats on TV" accounts I'll be happy to use it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-17, 13:13

Wasn't Saban calling out either the fans or students recently about Bama attendance?
and yet they still avg 100k. Rich people problems

What is the tailgating restrictions, if there are any, for Whisky? so what?

Oregon's stadium is 54k? Maybe that's what we need?

There is nothing to do in the N. Florida except go to the beach and to football games.
so what? surely you don't think all Gator fans live in N. Florida

UM has had a hard time filling up, they are just giving away a shit ton of tickets this year.
Again...they have a hard time filling 110k for a shitty team. We have a hard time filling 75k for a top 10 team
I've heard students bitch that if they want to go to the game, it can take over an hour to get through the gates, that's unacceptable. Many student's don't tailgate anymore on campus because of all the restrictions, you want people to go to the game, make them feel comfortable in your house, that is what MSU is competing against. My friends and I never went to games while we were going to school, it was just as much fun to go to a house, or to the bar and watch the game. 

Did we not fill up for O$U? I didn't really read the article, I don't like Griffith, he is a poor man's Drew Sharp. Or did we not stay until the end? I thought the O$U game was sold out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2014-11-17, 13:15

Wally Fairway wrote:

Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... 502811600
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-11-17, 13:20

Heat Miser wrote:

Why yes, Wally, yes I do realize that. If you can show me a website that has actual in game head counts rather than anecdotal "I saw empty seats on TV" accounts I'll be happy to use it.
If you realize it then why do you keep using those numbers inaccurately - Saban was pissed for attendance problems, but you throw out the Bama tickets sales as if they were attendance. And same for the OSU/Minny game

And don't act like raising concession prices, tailgating restrictions, student section seating issues (like 2+ hours waits to get into the stadium) don't have an impact.

I plan on taking 4-6 teenagers with me (I will be looking for some cheap tickets on my way in), but it sucks that to buy them snacks will cost me at least $20-$30 each.

And don't think weather doesn't matter, in the past when we've had scheduling conflicts for late season games it can be difficult to even give tickets away (and yes I know I'm a bad fan, because I attend my own kids event instead of going to every home football game)

I hate when people get on their high horse and preach what others should do.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-17, 13:20

These articles all seem to imply that it's a national problem not a Michigan State problem.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/at-college-football-games-student-sections-likely-to-have-empty-seats-1409188244?mobile=y

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10458047&src=desktop

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/story/22311553/attendance-lags-put-sec-on-offense-looking-to-enhance-fan-experience?v=1&vc=3

These are just the big name sources. There's quite a few more blogs and mlive type articles from across the country that show that it's clearly a problem for the sport and not just us. Just use the googles, youll find all of them if you want.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-11-17, 13:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh.. very few college football stadiums are "filled to the brim" start to finish..

a) we're playing Rutgers
b) temps will be around freezing (if we're lucky)
c) 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field"

vs.

a) a flat screen HD television
b) fully stocked fridge
c) short walk to the bathroom
d) a remote control to combat the 4 minute challenges to the "ruling on the field" reviews
e) thermostat set on a toasty 72 degrees

I think the one former player who was morally outraged a week or so ago better get his Twitter fingers limbered up.

You set your thermostat to 72? Wish I were that rich.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 13:24

Wally Fairway wrote:

I'm not sure what we keep it on.. my daughter (sorry Forbin) always complains about it being cold in the house so I doubt we keep it up at "big money Bob" levels..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 13:24

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

You set your thermostat to 72? Wish I were that rich.
Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... 1966794946

see my previous post.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-11-17, 13:32

IM AM SO MAD THAT OTHER PEOPLE CHOOSE TO DO THINGS OTHER THAN GO TO A FOOTBALL GAME
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:41

The_Dude wrote:IM AM SO MAD THAT OTHER PEOPLE CHOOSE TO DO THINGS OTHER THAN GO TO A FOOTBALL GAME

Disappointed & embarrassed, yes. Mad? That's your projection "Dude".

Small aside: if I were so empowered I would strip you of "The_Dude" name. Your posting style is nearly the complete opposite of "Dude-like".
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-11-17, 13:41

The_Dude wrote:IM AM SO MAD THAT OTHER PEOPLE CHOOSE TO DO THINGS OTHER THAN GO TO A FOOTBALL GAME
Slow day at the other site, or are you currently banned? This is the most you've posted around here in a while.  Suspect
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-17, 13:42

Heat Miser wrote:

Well which way do you want it? If you checked the box scores for MSU games I am sure attendence figures are just fine, even though we know differently. And I did see a ton of empty seats at Wisconsin on tv saturday. Don't know if they were late shows or student cram down effect.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:42

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:These articles all seem to imply that it's a national problem not a Michigan State problem.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/at-college-football-games-student-sections-likely-to-have-empty-seats-1409188244?mobile=y

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10458047&src=desktop

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/story/22311553/attendance-lags-put-sec-on-offense-looking-to-enhance-fan-experience?v=1&vc=3

These are just the big name sources. There's quite a few more blogs and mlive type articles from across the country that show that it's clearly a problem for the sport and not just us. Just use the googles, youll find all of them if you want.

So it would seem that that's the actual prevailing "narrative".
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-17, 13:45

Here's the thing. If the product on the field is better, but the attendance is the same as under JLS, Bobby (as heat says).. then the problem is obviously game day experience. I've been going to games since I was a kid and now a student, here are some issues I have..

Tailgating restrictions: Specific times when allowed to begin, no drinking games, carding random people that aren't causing any harm. Plenty of students won't even go near the tennis courts anymore. It's just over the top, and not welcoming. MSU should want everyone ON CAMPUS, but now, everyone would rather stay off to not be harassed.

Student ticketing: I've already vented on this subject plenty and plenty of times but there needs to be paper tickets, fuck the IDs, figure out how to get people calmly in the stadium and not take so ****ing long. Students shouldn't have to wait an hour and a half to get into the game, just for it to be another hour until the game starts. And you're in the upper bowl. Figure it out, there are smarter people than me who's job it is.

Pat downs, security: No purses? Come on man. Isn't that a bit overkill? Look in the bag real quick and make sure there is no booze and let them go. The airport level security pat downs at the student gate is a bit much, which is probably the reason that it takes so damn long to get into the game as a student. We are YOUR students, not terrorists, not cattle, treat us like it.

Booze in game: It's 2014. Wake the fuck up and start selling alcohol/beer in the stadium. I just don't get this. It's more $. It's keeping people at the game. No one likes that half-time headache when your buzz is coming down. Let us leave at half and come back. And sell booze in stadium. Experiment with it at first, maybe limiting people to 2 beer tickets per game or something. But it has to happen.

You want people to come and stay? Then listen to the people. Stop ignoring these glaring problems with the gameday experience as we have been doing for years. Fix your cell towers too. That's gotten better lately, though.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2014-11-17, 13:45

Heat Miser wrote:

So it would seem that that's the actual prevailing "narrative".
Correct. So saying that Michigan state fans are shitty because they don't fill the stadium every week is nonsense because its a problem everywhere. Good teams, bad teams, everyone has the same problem. The article you posted is nothing more than illogical self hate.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-11-17, 13:46

InTenSity wrote:
Slow day at the other site, or are you currently banned? This is the most you've posted around here in a while.  Suspect

There are simply too many bonars on trcmb now and you can't say fuck or asshole.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 13:47

Heat Miser wrote:

that one former player seemed pretty "mad".. didn't he say he hated the student section? Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... 502811600

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2014-11-17, 13:48; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:48

Herbie Green wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Well which way do you want it? If you checked the box scores for MSU games I am sure attendence figures are just fine, even though we know differently. And I did see a ton of empty seats at Wisconsin on tv saturday. Don't know if they were late shows or student cram down effect.

Playoff contender coming off a 13-1 Rose Bowl winning season. I'd expect sellouts for every game. Why sellouts against the shitty opponents? Because it should be damn near impossible to get a ticket to one of the good ones and you want to see a top 10 team play. Your team is the top 10 team.

We could go back to the Booby/Slappy days and get nearly the same results while saving a ton of cash on coaching salaries.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Here's the thing. If the product on the field is better, but the attendance is the same as under JLS, Bobby (as heat says).. then the problem is obviously game day experience. I've been going to games since I was a kid and now a student, here are some issues I have.

Or maybe the problem is that people just don't care all that much?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-11-17, 13:49

Heat Miser wrote:

Small aside: if I were so empowered I would strip you of "The_Dude" name. Your posting style is nearly the complete opposite of "Dude-like".

In a world where alabama cant even fill up their stadium, im not going to rag on MSU.

Guys, its going to take and entire generation of MSU being a consistent winning program before our fanbase will be what we want it to be. 5 years of success is nothing.

I went to Nebraska, UM and OSU games. Will not be going to this one. Terrible opponent and npt going to wake up at 5am just to tailgate in freezing weather.

Also, the concession and bathroom situation at Spartan Stadium is the worst on D1. How that still hasn't been fixed is real bad.

Maybe when I am older and need to use football games as an excuse to get away from the wife and kids, I will go. But while im in my 20s and free, there are much better things to do than go to this game.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-17, 13:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

that one former player seemed pretty "mad".. didn't he say he hated the student section? Mark Dantonio has built a great program at Michigan State, but... 502811600

I'm glad to know that he hates me and plenty of other students that paid all that money to see him play in the Rose Bowl.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-17, 13:50

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Here's the thing. If the product on the field is better, but the attendance is the same as under JLS, Bobby (as heat says).. then the problem is obviously game day experience. I've been going to games since I was a kid and now a student, here are some issues I have..

Tailgating restrictions: Specific times when allowed to begin, no drinking games, carding random people that aren't causing any harm. Plenty of students won't even go near the tennis courts anymore. It's just over the top, and not welcoming. MSU should want everyone ON CAMPUS, but now, everyone would rather stay off to not be harassed.

Student ticketing: I've already vented on this subject plenty and plenty of times but there needs to be paper tickets, fuck the IDs, figure out how to get people calmly in the stadium and not take so ****ing long. Students shouldn't have to wait an hour and a half to get into the game, just for it to be another hour until the game starts. And you're in the upper bowl. Figure it out, there are smarter people than me who's job it is.

Pat downs, security: No purses? Come on man. Isn't that a bit overkill? Look in the bag real quick and make sure there is no booze and let them go. The airport level security pat downs at the student gate is a bit much, which is probably the reason that it takes so damn long to get into the game as a student. We are YOUR students, not terrorists, not cattle, treat us like it.

Booze in game: It's 2014. Wake the fuck up and start selling alcohol/beer in the stadium. I just don't get this. It's more $. It's keeping people at the game. No one likes that half-time headache when your buzz is coming down. Let us leave at half and come back. And sell booze in stadium. Experiment with it at first, maybe limiting people to 2 beer tickets per game or something. But it has to happen.

You want people to come and stay? Then listen to the people. Stop ignoring these glaring problems with the gameday experience as we have been doing for years. Fix your cell towers too. That's gotten better lately, though.

These are good points. I think the pendulum of too much restriction is starting to swing back on some campuses.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-11-17, 13:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I assumed he was referring to me, not a week old tweet. My bad.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 13:51

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

I'm glad to know that he hates me and plenty of other students that paid all that money to see him play in the Rose Bowl.
yeah I know.. maybe he just had a bad night. He certainly seemed to direct a lot of misguided vitriol towards a bunch of students whose particular circumstance he knew nothing about.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-11-17, 13:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:yeah I know.. maybe he just had a bad night. He certainly seemed to direct a lot of misguided vitriol towards a bunch of students whose particular circumstance he knew nothing about.

I just wish people would think before they drink and post....Wink
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-17, 13:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

here is his tweet:

Our Michigan State student section pisses me off. Disrespectful! If you come to the game stay at the game. #HateOurStudentSection

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next