Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?

+25
Jake from State Farm
Toe
Watch Out Pylon!
Brock Middlebrook
LoneWolfSparty
Rocinante
Wally Fairway
Nommad2
MiamiSpartan
CheesySpartan
xsanguine
goodbar
Cym Jim
Motown Spartan
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Cameron
Nordic
Izzo Court
Gomer
Snake Plissken
Green Note
75alum
AMwood
Tim Wakefield
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Empty Re: Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-20, 19:01

Worth it.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Empty Re: Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?

Post by Tim Wakefield 2014-11-20, 19:09

Make sure you get one with a whistle on it to scare away the bears.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-11-20, 19:12

get a nice burro.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-11-20, 19:12

Only if you're in the desert and need to kill a snake...
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2014-11-20, 19:40

Yeah, totally gay
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-11-20, 19:43

I use 'em cause they're needed to set up my tent. I've only used them in the snow while snowshoeing, though, but they certainly help.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-11-20, 21:01

Whatever it takes to hike with your daughter you should use
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-11-20, 21:23

For day-hiking nancys poles are probably overkill. If you're backpacking though with 25+ pounds over uneven terrain, they can really help you put some miles down.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-20, 21:27

gHost Spartan wrote:So what you say, men of Swill? Totally gay, or worth it?

I recommend a couple of these, they might come in handy in camp.

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  440_97x560

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/440.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-11-20, 21:44

Get one of these.
Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Trionic_Sport_White
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-11-20, 23:35

gHost Spartan wrote: One of my buddies used poles on the ascent out of the bottom of Grand Canyon when we did a rim to rim hike (day hike, North to South Rim). He raved about them.

But I'm talking about a very short but very steep hike that I do probably about four times a week. It's 1.2 miles and a 1,200 foot ascent, then back down, 2.4 miles total. My daughter weighs almost 25 pounds and then I have the other stuff, so it's a hefty load on a steep trail. I think the poles will help but man, I gotta admit, I am really concerned about looking like a total boner up there with the poles. The only dudes I've seen with poles are total dorks, with the exception of one of my friends, a judge that graduated from Wisconsin and the guy is 70, so I give him a pass.

Get the poles, gHost. Then graduate from day hikes to multi-day, ultralight packs.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-11-20, 23:44

You old now bro.. Pole it like a boss
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2014-11-21, 00:33

Simple solution is to just get rid of your daughter.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-21, 02:00

I've used them on long hikes, bbutit never on day hikes. I wasn't all that impressed. Like if I'm carrying extra gear I want to know that it actually helps and I couldn't tell if they did or not.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-11-21, 03:15

They're useful if you need to ford a river.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-21, 06:35

Get the poles, but if you are worried about looking foolish, then just wear a Mexican gimp wrestling mask to cover your face. That way no one will know who you are.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-21, 07:48

if the footing on the trails is solid and even, there probably isn't a need for trekking poles. It's when you're dealing with uneven footing - rocks, roots, etc - that you need more stability that they're worth it.

If you're carrying your daughter, they're probably even a better idea. It's one thing to lose your footing and you slip around a bit. If she's on your back, your whole center of gravity changes and it'll be harder to correct a slip. Not to mention she could go face down..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-21, 08:50

I like a traditional Yorkshire hardwood stick, but I'm more of a stroll and a whistle kind of guy.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-21, 08:58

Cym Jim wrote:I like a traditional Yorkshire hardwood stick, but I'm more of a stroll and a whistle kind of guy.

you really should come out of the closet.
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2014-11-21, 09:01

Totally gay. Not because of the trekking poles though, it's because you suck cock.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-11-21, 09:20

get one, try it and out and see if it fu<king does anything worthwile. if not, toss the goddamn thing into the canyon.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-21, 09:23

goodbar wrote:get one, try it and out and see if it fu<king does anything worthwile. if not, toss the goddamn thing into the canyon.

Is this innuendo?
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-21, 09:29

Toe wrote:

you really should come out of the closet.
It's well known that gay people can't whistle.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-11-21, 09:32

Cym Jim wrote:
It's well known that gay people can't whistle.

with their mouths....
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2014-11-21, 09:42

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  NYwgACi
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-11-21, 09:43

gHost Spartan wrote: One of my buddies used poles on the ascent out of the bottom of Grand Canyon when we did a rim to rim hike (day hike, North to South Rim). He raved about them.

But I'm talking about a very short but very steep hike that I do probably about four times a week. It's 1.2 miles and a 1,200 foot ascent, then back down, 2.4 miles total. My daughter weighs almost 25 pounds and then I have the other stuff, so it's a hefty load on a steep trail. I think the poles will help but man, I gotta admit, I am really concerned about looking like a total boner up there with the poles. The only dudes I've seen with poles are total dorks, with the exception of one of my friends, a judge that graduated from Wisconsin and the guy is 70, so I give him a pass.

Is it possible to do a different hiking trail? Its awesome you do that with your daughter.  My son is 17 months and we hiked all over the place this summer here in WI.  He loves it.  Great bonding time.

Last edited by CheesySpartan on 2014-11-21, 09:52; edited 1 time in total
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-11-21, 09:47

Cym Jim wrote:I like a traditional Yorkshire hardwood stick, but I'm more of a stroll and a whistle kind of guy.
Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Bowler-hatted-englishman
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-11-21, 09:57

As gay as this.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2014-11-21, 09:59

When hiking the Kalalau Trail in Kauai, the wife and I found them extremely helpful. It's uneven terrain, lots of rocks, a steep drop off on one side, and at some points, you have to cross a river (and other muddy spots if it's been raining). The poles really helped with stability. If you're on flat terrain, there's no need.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-11-21, 10:11

gHost - take them if they help with the hike, or don't.

But remember the poles have nothing to do with your being gay - NTTAWWT
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-21, 10:18

I was totally sure that Benedict Humperdinck was gay then he goes and gets married.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-21, 10:36

Nommad2 wrote:When hiking the Kalalau Trail in Kauai, the wife and I found them extremely helpful. It's uneven terrain, lots of rocks, a steep drop off on one side, and at some points, you have to cross a river (and other muddy spots if it's been raining). The poles really helped with stability. If you're on flat terrain, there's no need.

Humble brag.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2014-11-21, 10:46

found some pics of ghost and his bros hiking in their "early" days...

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Manif2

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Manif1
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-11-21, 10:51

What a nation of ****ing sissies we've become. Oooooh I'm supposedly healthy but I need a pair of sticks to help me walk. Jumping Christ people, look at yourselves. You didn't see this son of a bitch carrying sticks around.

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  1400671166000-ROCBrd-05-21-2014-DandC-1-A010-2014-05-20-IMG-Akeley-leopard-1-1-GI7DIDUK-L419667511-IMG-Akeley-leopard-1-1-GI7DIDUK
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-11-21, 10:58

I carry a walking stick and use it to beat the f out of people that tell me how gay I look with a walking stick.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-11-21, 11:58

Rocinante wrote:I was totally sure that Benedict Humperdinck was gay then he goes and gets married.

Wait, that guy got married? Like Tom Cruise got married, right? I thought he was gay too.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-21, 12:03

Brock Middlebrook wrote:found some pics of ghost and his bros hiking in their "early" days...

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Manif2

Hiking / Trekking Poles: Totally gay, or extremely useful and worth looking foolish ?  Manif1

the first pic looks like the Alpine version of a "Yorkshire hardwood".

Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-11-21, 12:09

Rocinante wrote:I was totally sure that Benedict Humperdinck was gay then he goes and gets married.

Englebert
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-21, 12:17

Very handy when crossing lake Michigan.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-11-21, 12:26

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/01/12/engelbert-humperdinck-marries-benedict-cumberbatch-for-a-laugh/
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next