Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?

+10
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
SeeRockCity
nevernude
Heat Miser
WhiteBoyHatcher
14 posters

Go down

Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?  Empty Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 22:56

I know that you know this. And I know that some guys who cover the beat may have pointed this out, but let me try to put it in more basic terms.

There is a lot of cliche speak in sports about how big certain games are, teams' ability to bounce back from certain things, etc. I don't want to lend credence to boring cliches, but there is no more concrete truth in sports than a gambler's truth. And while I am not some kind of handicapping soothsayer, I have lost enough over the years to know the truth about a lot of things.

Let down games are very real. And motivation is key.

How do you motivate a team to play hard and take care of business after all of their goals are dashed in a single night? IMO I don't think you can. There was literally nothing left to play for after that night. I didn't even consider the possibility until late in the 3rd quarter when I looked at my seatmates and said - wow. There is nothing left for these guys to play for. This season is over. There was no chance OSU was losing 2 games. Zilch. Zamboni. Zoozaroni.

I know that Maryland, Rutgers and PSU are not the toughest of opponents, but many, many teams would have let down in those contests. MSU didn't. Coach D kept them hungry. Somehow. I honestly can't even fathom it. They were playing for a Division Championship, a Conference Championship, a Final Four berth, and a National Championship one week. The next week - nothing. A "premiere" bowl game and no shot at any of the aforementioned stated goals.

And they showed up, and kicked fuckin' ass in each of those games.

Coach D is special.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?  Empty Re: Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?

Post by Heat Miser Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 23:02

If MSU had nothing to play for, what did Maryland, Rutgers, & PSU have to play for?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?  Empty Re: Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?

Post by nevernude Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 23:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I know that you know this. And I know that some guys who cover the beat may have pointed this out, but let me try to put it in more basic terms.

There is a lot of cliche speak in sports about how big certain games are, teams' ability to bounce back from certain things, etc. I don't want to lend credence to boring cliches, but there is no more concrete truth in sports than a gambler's truth. And while I am not some kind of handicapping soothsayer, I have lost enough over the years to know the truth about a lot of things.

How do you motivate a team to play hard and take care of business after all of their goals are dashed in a single night? IMO I don't think you can. There was literally nothing left to play for after that night. I didn't even consider the possibility until late in the 3rd quarter when I looked at my seatmates and said - wow. There is nothing left for these guys to play for. This season is over. There was no chance OSU was losing 2 games. Zilch. Zamboni. Zoozaroni.

I know that Maryland, Rutgers and PSU are not the toughest of opponents, but many, many teams would have let down in those contests. MSU didn't. Coach D kept them hungry. Somehow. I honestly can't even fathom it. They were playing for a Division Championship, a Conference Championship, a Final Four berth, and a National Championship one week. The next week - nothing. A "premiere" bowl game and no shot at any of the aforementioned stated goals.

Coach D is special.
Truth.
nevernude
nevernude
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 23:13

Heat Miser wrote:If MSU had nothing to play for, what did Maryland, Rutgers, & PSU have to play for?

Making a bowl game. Knocking off the reigning Big Ten champs? Are you serious? MSU got every team's best effort this year. Except for maybe Michigan.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 23:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:If MSU had nothing to play for, what did Maryland, Rutgers, & PSU have to play for?

Making a bowl game. Knocking off the reigning Big Ten champs? Are you serious? MSU got every team's best effort this year. Except for maybe Michigan.

This is true.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 30 Nov 2014 - 23:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I know that you know this. And I know that some guys who cover the beat may have pointed this out, but let me try to put it in more basic terms.

Coach D is special.

While I think he's a good coach for many reasons, one of the measuring sticks of any coach is how hard the kids will play for you. I don't think anyone can ever say that Dantonio's teams don't play their ass off. That's all him.

Good post. Totally agree
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 1:29

B/c he win gamz

-blantch

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 6:23

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Coach D is special.

Because he's allowed me to be smug at the vast majority of Holiday dinners for the past 5 years as my scUM loving relatives commiserate among themselves over the state of their football program. I love Coach D for that and always will. santa santa
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 8:19

TLDR
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 8:25

couldn't agree more.. +1

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 8:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:couldn't agree more.. +1

We missed you Bob. We'll, when I say we I mean mostly just me. Anyway, how was Thanksgiving?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 8:37

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

We missed you Bob. We'll, when I say we I mean mostly just me. Anyway, how was Thanksgiving?
thanks, man - missed you too.

Thanksgiving was good - uneventful, which is the way I like it. Pretty laid back 5-6 days. How was yours?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 8:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:thanks, man - missed you too.

Thanksgiving was good - uneventful, which is the way I like it. Pretty laid back 5-6 days. How was yours?

Please do not have old people "how was your weekend" conversations.

Thank you,

Management
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 9:00

Turtleneck wrote:

Please do not have old people "how was your weekend" conversations.

Thank you,

Management
have I been warned?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 9:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
thanks, man - missed you too.

OK. Travelled down to Louisville to visit the in-laws last Wednesday. Traffic around Indy on 465 was kind of brutal, but once we got there it was a solid visit. Plenty of bourbon to drink.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 9:48

Coach D is special.

Thinking back to Coach D's year, and going off of memory here I remember his big pitch to the fans was we will show up, and we will play hard to the end of the game.

I remember his first season even though we lost a five games, almost every game was exciting to the end.

Look at his first year at MSU...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2007-schedule.html

All those games were competitive to the end of the game, which was right off the bat a huge difference from the year before.

Also, just watching that Penn State game this weekend I think people forget what a house of horrors Happy Valley was for us. Even terrible PSU teams would find a way to beat the Spartans there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 9:51

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

OK. Travelled down to Louisville to visit the in-laws last Wednesday. Traffic around Indy on 465 was kind of brutal, but once we got there it was a solid visit. Plenty of bourbon to drink.
that sounds like a good trip..

I intentionally tried to limit the alcohol this past week.. a bloody Mary, couple of beers and a glass of wine on Thanksgiving day. Hung out a little bit on Saturday with some friends at Dagwoods.. other than that, not a lot of drinking.

of course, I was with my immediate family. When I see my extended family later this month, I expect the alcohol consumption to increase exponentially.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote: that sounds like a good trip..

I intentionally tried to limit the alcohol this past week.. a bloody Mary, couple of beers and a glass of wine on Thanksgiving day. Hung out a little bit on Saturday with some friends at Dagwoods.. other than that, not a lot of drinking.

of course, I was with my immediate family. When I see my extended family later this month, I expect the alcohol consumption to increase exponentially.

You have been warned.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:15

OSU this year seemed like MSU last year something to prove. Remember last year the motto was Chase It.

OSU prepared the entire year for the game vs us and it showed. Now MSU needs to beat OSU next year or we will be considered OSUs bitch again and OSU will have basically said we own the East. Problem is if you lose to OSU, you almost have no shot to get to Indy.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:20

The_Dude wrote:OSU this year seemed like MSU last year something to prove. Remember last year the motto was Chase It.

OSU prepared the entire year for the game vs us and it showed. Now MSU needs to beat OSU next year or we will be considered OSUs bitch again and OSU will have basically said we own the East. Problem is if you lose to OSU, you almost have no shot to get to Indy.

Yup. And the real problem in all of that is the liberals.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:thanks, man - missed you too.

Glad you enjoyed your time at the cabin.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:21

Turtleneck wrote:

You have been warned.
ever listen to Trampled by Turtles? You should check them out..

(that's what pushed The Gimp over the edge at tRCMB) - Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?  502811600

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:22

I have. They came through my area this summer but like every time a show comes through, I am too busy doing something else that relates to my day-to-day survival.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

that sounds like a good trip..

Ummm.... hate to call you out here Bob, but you could have taught everyone a lesson by showing us how hypocritical the whole concept of Thanksgiving is by working your ass off in some homeless shelter over the holidays. Instead, you selfishly used your personal time and money on yourself and your family. Pretty weak IMHO and kind of a double standard. Just sayin'
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 10:43

SeeRockCity wrote:

Ummm.... hate to call you out here Bob, but you could have taught everyone a lesson by showing us how hypocritical the whole concept of Thanksgiving is by working your ass off in some homeless shelter over the holidays.  Instead, you selfishly used your personal time and money on yourself and your family.  Pretty weak IMHO and kind of a double standard.  Just sayin'
I used my wife's money.. she makes some sweet bank.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

Ummm.... hate to call you out here Bob, but you could have taught everyone a lesson by showing us how hypocritical the whole concept of Thanksgiving is by working your ass off in some homeless shelter over the holidays.  Instead, you selfishly used your personal time and money on yourself and your family.  Pretty weak IMHO and kind of a double standard.  Just sayin'
I used my wife's money.. she makes some sweet bank.

So she's not buying the social / moral outrage either?
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:06

Coach D is special.
Agree. The question is, how many 10+ win seasons without getting into the playoff will it take for the natives to get restless? Having suffered with MSU football since the 70s, I am happy as hell about MSU football now, but a new bar has been set by Coach D and 10 wins is now the minimum for a successful season. However, I think we haven't quite made it to elite status yet. Coach D has MSU well respected now and he has effectively killed the SOS narrative, but I think we need to appear in the playoff and get a Natty in the next few years in order to cement our status as elite.

The next question is, will this be a long term thing where the next coach can continue the success, or is this our time in the sun and we had better enjoy it while we can because we are only one President or AD away from a return to the bad old days?
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:08

SeeRockCity wrote:

So she's not buying the social / moral outrage either?
you'll have to ask her, brah.. Can I tell you why Dantonio is a really good coach?  2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:14

Code_Warrior wrote:
Agree.  The question is, how many 10+ win seasons without getting into the playoff will it take for the natives to get restless?  Having suffered with MSU football since the 70s, I am happy as hell about MSU football now, but a new bar has been set by Coach D and 10 wins is now the minimum for a successful season.  However, I think we haven't quite made it to elite status yet.  Coach D has MSU well respected now and he has effectively killed the SOS narrative, but I think we need to appear in the playoff and get a Natty in the next few years in order to cement our status as elite.

The next question is, will this be a long term thing where the next coach can continue the success, or is this our time in the sun and we had better enjoy it while we can because we are only one President or AD away from a return to the bad old days?
Dantonio is set. I'm guessing that all the 'right' people are happy with him right now. I don't see how you can punish a guy who brought you more success than anyone else in 50 years. MSU isn't seen as elite, even if we want to see it as elite. It won't be 'elite' until you can have another coach sustain the success. We are in elite company right now, but no one looks at MSU as a football destination. 

I think Dantonio is setting his own terms at this point. If he were to fall to having multiple 6-6 seasons, but still have a high graduation rate, that will be enough.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:22

As Rexrode put it, Dantonio is on the "statue plan". No worries...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2014/12/01/michigan-state-spartans-football-mark-dantonio-joe-rexrode/19725371/
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:26

InTenSity wrote:
Dantonio is set. I'm guessing that all the 'right' people are happy with him right now. I don't see how you can punish a guy who brought you more success than anyone else in 50 years. MSU isn't seen as elite, even if we want to see it as elite. It won't be 'elite' until you can have another coach sustain the success. We are in elite company right now, but no one looks at MSU as a football destination. 

I think Dantonio is setting his own terms at this point. If he were to fall to having multiple 6-6 seasons, but still have a high graduation rate, that will be enough.
A return to annual 6-6 seasons with Dantonio at the helm would be a kick in the nuts. I hope he retires before that ever happens.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:30

Code_Warrior wrote:
A return to annual 6-6 seasons with Dantonio at the helm would be a kick in the nuts. I hope he retires before that ever happens.

Wont.

Wonder what the outcry will be when he "plummets" to an 8 win season.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 11:33

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Wont.

Calls to scrap the program no doubt.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 12:17

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Wont.

I'm going to be very disappointed with our fanbase when that happens. There will probably be a lot of people saying that he's getting too old and set in his ways, that he is unable to adopt to the football world. Probably a lot more calling for Narduzzi to take over. 

I really think that our fanbase is still childish in a lot of ways. People have very short memories and they don't realize that running off a coach like Dantonio would place a black mark on MSU. Hell, look at this year with BBall. People are already saying that the game has passed by Izzo. After everything he has done for this university, I think it is unfair for people to call for him to change positions.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down