Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I)

+40
Floyd Robertson
Death Roe
Ted Brogan
Nordic
Tim Wakefield
tanfan!
tGreenWay
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
BleacherSwill
CheesySpartan
tig ol bitties
Turtleneck
Giant Moose
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
DWags
NigelUno
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
Code_Warrior
tTito
CORNER BLITZ
Detnews
The Pantry
Blanch32
Watch Out Pylon!
GRR Spartan
pulling69
Nommad2
LoneWolfSparty
Rodeo Burger
kingstonlake
SpartanInNH
HT
gomersbro
Heat Miser
steveschneider
Herbie Green
Ass Dan
44 posters

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next

Go down

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I) Empty tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I)

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 11:15

2015 Commits

Deyonta Davis
Muskegon (Muskegon, MI)
C

Matthew McQuaid
Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)
SG

Kyle Ahrens
Versailles (Versailles, OH)
SG

2016 Offers

Cassius Winston COMMITTED
University Of Detroit Jesuit H (Detroit, MI)
PG

Payton Pritchard
West Linn (West Linn, OR)
PG

Jamal Murray
Athlete Institute Basketball Academy (Toronto, ON)
SG

Jayson Tatum
Chaminade College Prep School (Saint Louis, MO)
SF

Amir Coffey
Hopkins (Hopkins, MN)
SG

V.J. King
Paul VI Catholic (Fairfax, VA)
SF

Miles Bridges COMMITTED
Huntington Prep (Huntington, WV)
SF

Nick Ward COMMITTED
Gahanna Lincoln (Columbus, OH)
PF

Joey Brunk
Southport (Indianapolis, IN)
C

Josh Langford COMMITTED
Madison Academy (Madison, AL)
G

Josh Jackson
Justin-siena (Napa, CA)
SG

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-06-18, 20:58; edited 12 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I) Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I)

Post by InTenSity 2015-01-06, 11:28

Thanks TN for this.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I) Empty Re: tOfficial MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread: Class of 2016 (Part I)

Post by xsanguine 2015-01-06, 11:36

MSU is his dream school until Money Cal swoops in.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 12:25

2016 MSU offer Miles Bridges talks recent Louisville offer but clearly loves MSU.

Huntington (W.Va.) Prep small forward Miles Bridges, who's rated No. 20 nationally by Rivals, No. 30 by 247Sports.com and No. 34 by Scout.com, said at last week's Marshall County Hoop Fest that he received an offer from the Cardinals soon after Rick Pitino and his staff watched him play in Lexington late last month.

"I liked it," Bridges said. "I'm looking to take a visit sometime in the next few weeks. I've watched them in the past with Russ Smith and Kevin Ware and all them (on the 2013 national championship team). I really like their defense. They play defense, and they hustle."

Article goes on to say...

Michigan State is usually seen as the team to beat for Bridges. He grew up following the Spartans and has said he considers it a dream school. Spartans legend Mateen Cleaves is from his hometown, and he knows former MSU star Draymond Green.
"I've taken three visits there so far, and I really like them," Bridges said. He said Connecticut, Iowa State, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, UNLV and Michigan are also recruiting him.
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/recruiting/louisville/2014/12/09/huntington-preps-miles-bridge-welcomed-recent-scholarship-offer-louisville-basketball/20155921/

Just a little something from this morning about Bridges and his offer from ISU.

Latest on Monk, Bridges? Are they both still priorities?
- @isufan3333

Both are still very much priorities. I think Monk is the longer shot considering how highly sought after he is and that there isn’t a ton of geographical or coaching staff ties. But the Cyclones are still after him. Bridges seems a likelier candidate given he’s very good friends with Morris, assistant Cornell Mann has extensive roots in Michigan and ISU all-time leading scorer Jeff Grayer is his mentor.
http://amestrib.com/hines-hoops/ask-hoh-jan-6

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-01-16, 12:52; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-01-06, 12:27

Turtleneck wrote:I suppose a single thread on this topic should do the trick.

Soon BoBS will be here to insult us for obsessing over 17 year old boys.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-01-06, 12:28

No more costellos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 12:31

LooseGoose wrote:

Soon BoBS will be here to insult us for obsessing over 17 year old boys.

Definitely not trying to obsesses but thought we needed this kind of thread. There is so much free information out there....
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-01-06, 12:32

Turtleneck wrote:

Definitely not trying to obsesses but thought we needed this kind of thread. There is so much free information out there....
This is how Rivals started. You're walking a fine line.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 12:33

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:No more costellos

I do not want to go down this road, but I am happy whenever Izzo signs a well regarded player. Especially when they are of the 6'8 variety.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 12:34

InTenSity wrote:
This is how Rivals started. You're walking a fine line.

Wait until somebody starts the football recruiting thread.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-01-06, 12:46

Hot off the presses!!

http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_recruiting_expert_Sean_Merriman_16
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-06, 15:41

2015 MSU offer Caleb Swanigan remains undecided, but might be down to MSU and UK. LooseGoose mentioned him in another thread, and that his addition to the 2015 class would give Izzo something tremendous to look forward to.

He is now predicting that Indiana center Caleb Swanigan will ultimately pick the Wildcats. Meyer is the first person to log a UK Crystal Ball prediction for Swanigan, who most are picking to go to Michigan State. (Swanigan was at the Spartans’ home game Monday night).
http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2015/01/05/247sports-analyst-changes-predictions-for-several-kentucky-basketball-targets-in-the-class-of-2015/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-01-06, 22:56

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:No more costellos
I like 4 stars
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-01-07, 02:11

Turtleneck wrote:2015 MSU offer Caleb Swanigan remains undecided, but might be down to MSU and UK. LooseGoose mentioned him in another thread, and that his addition to the 2015 class would give Izzo something tremendous to look forward to.

K well if he likes money, not having to go to class, ESPN sucking his nuts and getting drafted super high he'll go to Kentucky.

If he likes a midget telling at him and cold winters and a bunch of fans texting during the game, he'll come to state

Fuck that
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-07, 10:47

2016 MSU offer Josh Jackson might also be adding UK to his list of offers.

Josh Jackson is from Southfield, Michigan and attends Prolific Prep.  He is a 6’6″ small forward and is rated by ESPN as a five-star recruit.  He is also ranked by ESPN as the No. 2 small forward and as the No. 2 overall player in the Class of 2016.  Jackson’s major scholarship offers are from Arizona, Auburn, California, Kansas, Louisville, Michigan State, Ohio State, and UCLA.  Although Jackson hasn’t yet received an offer from Kentucky, UK assistant basketball coach Kenny Payne did visit Jackson’s school this past fall.
http://wildcatbluenation.com/2015/01/06/kentucky-wildcats-basketball-recruiting-competition-no-1-ranking-class-2016/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-08, 09:05

Lots of good info on 2015 MSU offer Caleb Swanigan

Recent visits from Purdue, MSU, and he also visited MSU. Talks about other schools as well.

http://www.indystar.com/story/recruiting-central/2015/01/07/several-schools-including-purdue-michigan-state-making-caleb-swanigan-priority/21424477/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-14, 14:45

Several players from the state of Michigan have been nominated for the 2015 McDonald's All-Star game. Among them are 2015 MSU commit Deyonta Davis.

MSU's other 2015 commits, Kyle Aherns and Matthew McQuaid, were also nominated.

Here is a list of all nominations.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/MediaCenter/2015-game-materials/2015-Nominee-List.html

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-01-14, 14:58; edited 3 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-14, 14:47

Also, Brandon Childress from Baldwin is a nominee. Can somebody refresh my memory. Maybe 5+ years ago there was another D1 recruit from Baldwin. Also a SG I believe.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-23, 14:41

Not much to post lately in terms of BB recruiting, but there was bit of information today courtesy of MLive.

Q: Where is the team at in the recruitment of Caleb Swanigan and Cassius Winston? -- Pfnnewmedia
Q: How does Michigan state stand with Nick Ward and Miles Bridges? -- Michael Rolland

A: The only new bit of information I have come across recently is that Swanigan's (five-star 2015 center from Fort Wayne) guardian Roosevelt Barnes gave a bit more of a specific timetable for that announcement, telling Zagsblog it probably won't be until April.

Barnes also gave this quote following Swanigan's last unofficial visit to East Lansing:

"They have a tradition of throwing the ball to their bigs and playing one more than one big," Barnes said. "A lot of schools nowadays in basketball, it seems like everybody's four out, one in. But Michigan State they still have two bigs in the game."

As for the other three, Michigan State coaches have visited all of them recently and the Spartans seems to be in good standing. But all are 2016 recruits, and I'd be surprised if we get much movement on these fronts in the next few months. Most prospects are focused on their high school seasons in late January, February and March, and while they may be taking a few visits and being visited by coaches, most aren't making commitments or even narrowing down their lists.

The next recruiting news could come Wednesday. That's when this year's McDonald's All-American rosters are announced. The Spartans haven't had a McDonald's All-American commit since Gary Harris in 2012, but Muskegon forward commit Deyonta Davis should have a good shot at it this year.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/01/ask_austin_patrick_chambers_ha.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-01-23, 20:30

You add Swanny with Costello, Schilling and Davis and we are potentially talking about the best frontcourt in the nation.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-23, 21:45

Herbie Green wrote:You add Swanny with Costello, Schilling and Davis and we are potentially talking about the best frontcourt in the nation.

It would be an awesome class. MSU would be putting a wall on the floor. Either way, I think things are looking good for 2015 and beyond.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-01-23, 21:48

Turtleneck wrote:

MSU would be putting a fucking wall on the floor.

SVG?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-28, 08:09

Some good info from The Only Colors on hoops recruiting. Among other things, the recruiting battle for 2015 offer Caleb Swanigan is really heating up. 

Speaking of Swanigan, the big man from Ft. Wayne been consistent that his decision will come after the high school basketball season, and he’s timed correctly to announce and sign during the late period in April. I get nervous when teams are alleged to be "leaders" in a recruitment but don’t close early. This has bitten MSU multiple times recently (Parker, Alexander, Ulis, I’m getting nauseous). If MSU had made the case and sealed the deal, I think Swanigan would have signed in November. With attention from heavy hitters like Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona, Coach Izzo will have to score a major recruiting win over some nemeses. Swanigan was also just down to Durham this month.

http://www.theonlycolors.com/2015/1/28/7926135/msu-basketball-recruiting-round-up-1-28-15
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-01-28, 10:06

That does not sound good for us.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-28, 10:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:That does not sound good for us.

It does not sound bad, but whenever Duke and UK get involved it complicates things. Those two schools recruit themselves. It's hard to compete against them for recruits because they have an automatic appeal that other schools - except for maybe Kansas - just do not have.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-28, 19:44

Davis is a McDonald's All-American. Swanigan makes the team as well (as expected).

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/12243846/mcdonald-all-american-game-rosters-unveiled

East Team                                                              
Dwayne Bacon (No. 20 in the ESPN 100, Florida State)
Antonio Blakeney (No. 14, LSU)                              
Isaiah Briscoe (No. 13, Kentucky)                      
Jaylen Brown (No. 2, Uncommitted)                      
Thomas Bryant (No. 22, Uncommitted)                      
Cheick Diallo (No. 11, Uncommitted)                      
Henry Ellenson (No. 5, Marquette)                        
Jawun Evans (No. 36, Oklahoma State)          
Luke Kennard (No. 23, Duke)                            
Dedric Lawson (No. 26, Memphis)                        
Ben Simmons (No. 1, LSU)                                        
Diamond Stone (No. 7, Uncommitted)    

West Team
Carlton Bragg (No. 21, Kansas)
Jalen Brunson (No. 17, Villanova)
Deyonta Davis (No. 16, Michigan State)
P.J. Dozier (No. 25, South Carolina)
Brandon Ingram (No. 12, Uncommitted)
Chase Jeter (No. 9, Duke)
Malik Newman (No. 4, Uncommitted)
Ivan Rabb (No. 6, Uncommitted)
Malachi Richardson (No. 19, Syracuse)
Caleb Swanigan (No. 8, Uncommitted)
Allonzo Trier (No. 15, Arizona)
Stephen Zimmerman (No. 10, Uncommitted)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-01-30, 23:41

Swanigan coming in AGAIN. Damn we need this kid.

Spartan Recruits retweeted
MSU Recruiting ‏@isportsMSU 19m19 minutes ago
Top 2015 MSU basketball target Caleb Swanigan (@Biggs_Swanigan) is visiting MSU Sunday for the Michigan Michigan State game.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-01-31, 00:34

Tacos
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-01-31, 01:09

Gotta adjust to the era of one n done.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-01-31, 09:07

steveschneider wrote:Gotta adjust to the era of one n done.

So Izzo shouldn't be after Swanigan?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-31, 09:17

Herbie Green wrote:

So Izzo shouldn't be after Swanigan?

I think he means Izzo should be going after one and done recruits more often. You know, because Izzo never recruited players like Jahill Oakafor or Jabari Parker. Steve confuses not landing the top talent with never bothering to recruit the top talent.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-01-31, 09:28

Turtleneck wrote:

I think he means Izzo should be going after one and done recruits more often. You know, because Izzo never recruited players like Jahill Oakafor or Jabari Parker. Steve confuses not landing the top talent with never bothering to recruit the top talent.

Yeah I know it was kind of a joke but in reality Izzo would have been better off never chasing those guys.

I think his best strategy though is to just get at least 3 McDs in every class.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-01-31, 10:35

Herbie Green wrote:

Yeah I know it was kind of a joke but in reality Izzo would have been better off never chasing those guys.

I think his best strategy though is to just get at least 3 McDs in every class.

That would be a fine strategy.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-01-31, 15:51

A blurb from Izzo on recruiting

Why the changes? Coaches have different theories. Michigan State’s Tom Izzo — who has watched his own squad fall from glory to a degree this season — points to well-built rosters working against coaches in the recruiting process.

“Kids want to go where they can star and start immediately,” Izzo said, “and they aren’t willing to pay any dues.”

He and Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan also point to schedules and conference play becoming more difficult among power leagues as they try to put more matchups on national television.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/290397861.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-01-31, 18:27

I like the 20/20 minutes combo we get out of Costello and Schilling. We add Swanny and Davis and there are 80 minutes for 4 spots.
I havent seen them play so I dont know if the freshmen 5-stars beat out Junior and senior 3/4 stars. But if Davis and Swanny are that good then they would get the extra minutes and can fulfill their one and done dreams. Otherwise, they develop and take the reigns in following year(s).
Seems like a perfect situation for Swanny really
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-02-01, 12:01

Trying to reassure Spartan Nation?

Joe Rexrode retweeted
Caleb Swanigan ‏@Biggs_Swanigan 38m38 minutes ago
The storm in Fort Wayne has kept me from being able to go to the michigan state game
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-02, 11:45

Small update on 2016 offer Miles Bridges. Bridges sheds light on who is recruiting him the hardest right now.

Huntington Prep's Miles Bridges told SNY.tv that Louisville, Michigan State, Indiana, Iowa State, UConn and Pitt are recruiting him the hardest.

He visited Kentucky in November, and was also visited by the head coaches of Michigan State and Kentucky. Bridges is the No.7 player in the 2016 class, according to ESPN, and while it is early for the Michigan native, the Crystal Ball lists Michigan State as having a 100 percent chance at landing him.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/2/7934485/college-basketball-recruiting-malik-newman-jaylen-brown
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-04, 17:49

Just a repeat on Swanigan not making it to MSU because of Mother Nature.

Fortunately for MSU, Swanigan has been up several times before, and the Spartans are still right in the mix for his services. He was named McDonald's All-America this week along with Muskegon big man and MSU commitment Deyonta Davis, and Tom Izzo's program is attempting to bring them in as a tandem.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/02/01/caleb-swanigan-michigan-state/22714089/

However, Josh Langford's dad mentions who has been recruiting him the hardest. Langford is a five star 2016 MSU offer.

Michigan, Michigan State and Florida are leading the charge to land 2016 five-star all purpose guard Josh Langford.

According to Langford's father Tellus Langford, Michigan, Michigan State and Florida are recruiting his son the hardest with Stanford and Texas hanging right with them in the effort department.
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Recruitment-taking-shape-for-five-star-Langford-35331976
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-06, 11:27

Ask Austin on Swanigan.

Straight to the point, I like it. The five-star forward prospect was supposed to be in East Lansing on Sunday for the Michigan-Michigan State game, but tweeted that he had to cancel the visit due to the snowstorm.

He told Scout.com soon after that he wants to reschedule that visit and said he continues to have a good relationship with the Spartans. He's been to the Breslin on at least one other occasion this season.
He was named a McDonald's All-American last week and invited to the Nike Hoops Summit this week. So despite missing out on his visit, it's been a good last few weeks for him.

I hope that tides you over for this week, because all signs still point to an April commitment for Swanigan. It'll probably be two more months before you get the update you're really looking for.

He also talks about MSU as a bubble team, and says what many of us have said here. Finish 5-4 (20 wins) and MSU should be in the Tournament. 

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/02/ask_austin_comparing_this_mich.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-08, 12:39

Double Post

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-02-08, 12:49; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 26 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 26  Next