Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanford CB Wayne Lyons coming? Mom gets U-M job...

+9
Marc Summers
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
LoneWolfSparty
Herbie Green
Jake from State Farm
Green Note
Rocinante
Heat Miser
13 posters

Go down

Article Stanford CB Wayne Lyons coming? Mom gets U-M job...

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 17:39

No, that's not shady at all.

Stanford CB Wayne Lyons coming? Mom gets U-M job
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Article Re: Stanford CB Wayne Lyons coming? Mom gets U-M job...

Post by Rocinante 2015-02-06, 17:42

An interesting development that I noticed now that we're on twitter is that she has a younger son, 2016 4 star recruit that Jimmy might be interested in... Hmmmmm...
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 18:28

Rocinante wrote:An interesting development that I noticed now that we're on twitter is that she has a younger son, 2016 4 star recruit that Jimmy might be interested in... Hmmmmm...

I believe that info is false.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note 2015-02-06, 18:58

NCAA rule:13.2.1.1 Specific Prohibitions.

"Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits and arrangements include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 4/23/08)
(a) An employment arrangement for a prospective student-athlete's relatives;"
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2015-02-06, 19:00

scum cheating? Tell me it ain't so.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-06, 19:39

Steve Schneider doesn't have a problem with this
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-02-06, 20:01

Herbie Green wrote:Steve Schneider doesn't have a problem with this

Neither does BoobySak and TheDude.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 20:17

They were on him so hard. After multiple conversations with Drew, after telling him 'no' several times politely, he told Jim, 'Hey, listen, man. I'm flattered. Thank you for the offer, but I'm not coming to play for you in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Best of luck to you.' It took 'no' multiple times before he would accept the 'no.'

It's ok...I'm sure everybody does it this way.

No means no
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 20:26

Heat Miser wrote:
Rocinante wrote:An interesting development that I noticed now that we're on twitter is that she has a younger son, 2016 4 star recruit that Jimmy might be interested in... Hmmmmm...

I believe that info is false.

But she was the "Team Mom" for a South Florida 7-on-7 team. I'm sure that has nothing to do with it though. Rolling Eyes
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-06, 20:49

Herbie Green wrote:Steve Schneider doesn't have a problem with this

We should hire that one recruits dad that commiter at the basketball game.

And you are right I have no problem with what scum is doing. They should just reform the system and move to title 6 where these athletes are employees.

This kind of stuff is just laughable and it just shows me that I'm right. The system is dying.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-02-06, 20:55

The system is broken, sure. But the way to fix it isn't to deregulate it and allow rampant cheating. That's bullshit. I don't want that and I don't think the majority of alums want that. I wouldn't watch college sports any longer if that were the case.

The way to fix it is to fix the bullshit 1 and done rule. Amend the definition of "amateur" to allow college athletes to market themselves. And to beef up the NBDL and salaries there to give kids who have no intentions of "playing school" a viable alternative.

And then have the NCAA do their fucking jobs.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers 2015-02-06, 21:01

Yawn. We shouldn't care about things like this, as it's just a sign of desperation on their part. They will never be good again.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-06, 21:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The system is broken, sure. But the way to fix it isn't to deregulate it and allow rampant cheating. That's bullshit. I don't want that and I don't think the majority of alums want that. I wouldn't watch college sports any longer if that were the case.

The way to fix it is to fix the bullshit 1 and done rule. Amend the definition of "amateur" to allow college athletes to market themselves. And to beef up the NBDL and salaries there to give kids who have no intentions of "playing school" a viable alternative.

And then have the NCAA do their fucking jobs.

If you make that stuff okay then the cheating is done.

IMO this is the fix kids upon graduation from
High school they get an agent and they find a school. Next a contract is drawn up
And the kid joins a student athletes union. No more recruiting, and for instance a guy like weber could have in his contract if this coach leaves I can leave OSU.

Agree too they should allow the kids to market them selves. Appear in commercials, sell jerseys on eBay, sell autographs etc.

The NCAA will not regulate this stuff there's just too much money involved and too many people around it making money. The networks, construction companies building facilities, the jumbo tron manufacturers,the NCAA, the athletic companies, the coaches, the ad and so on are making big bucks. Sports teams are just businesses on a campus that shares the school name.

Is there even any educational value to college sports?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 21:35

steveschneider wrote:
...Agree too they should allow the kids to market them selves. Appear in commercials, sell jerseys on eBay, sell autographs etc.

Never work.

Come to Alabama and sell 50k shirts vs. come to Vanderbilt and sell 9 shirts

Minus well make a separate league for 'Bama, USC, Texas, et al.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-06, 23:52

I think you could have a pro leauge of about 30 schools that have the revenue to support it. Vandy and Northwestern wouldn't make it. Then you would need a salary cap or a few schools would dominate. And they would probably all blow their profits trying to outbid each other for players in a desperate attempt to win. Donations might skyrocket to field a winning team. Or people might just become disinterested in the whole thing.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-02-06, 23:55

Herbie Green wrote:I think you could have a pro leauge of about 30 schools that have the revenue to support it.  Vandy and Northwestern wouldn't make it.  Then you would need a salary cap or a few schools would dominate.  And they would probably all blow their profits trying to outbid each other for players in a desperate attempt to win.  Donations might skyrocket to field a winning team.  Or people might just become disinterested in the whole thing.

MSU wouldn't make it either.

How about a salary cap on coaches and a luxury tax on revenue. Even the playing field for real.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-07, 08:33

Heat Miser wrote:

Never work.

Come to Alabama and sell 50k shirts vs. come to Vanderbilt and sell 9 shirts

Minus well make a separate league for 'Bama, USC, Texas, et al.

I don't think the landscape of college sports would change that much. There are schools that already have huge advantages over other schools. also there's always going to be limited roster space on the big money teams and there will always be your diamonds in the rough like Kirk cousins, le'veon bell and so on.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-07, 08:44

Steve, do you buy a lot of Evian bottled water?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-02-07, 09:12

As much as I like to think I'm on the side of the "good guys", let's be honest... this kind of shit happens everywhere.

When I use to live in Lansing and run into athletes, not to mention my mother has to work directly with every MSU athlete at some point after they enroll and had plenty of stories... there always seem to be something going on that made it seem like they got some benefits not entirely on the up-and-up.

I dunno, maybe these kids are able to afford Escalades and shiny jewelry and many other things but they never seemed entirely in line with NCAA regulations to me.

But what the hell do I know.

Last edited by xsanguine on 2015-02-07, 09:21; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-07, 09:14

Turtleneck wrote:Steve, do you buy a lot of Evian bottled water?

Nope I drink dassani the official water of the NCAA $$$$

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-04-04/calipari-gets-500-000-as-ncaa-student-must-change-water
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-09, 07:50

bump..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-02-09, 10:06

I'll file this under the who gives a shit category.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-02-09, 10:28

Scouting reports even on MGoBlow say he's barely above suck level. Not worried.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-02-09, 11:21

LooseGoose wrote:Scouting reports even on MGoBlow say he's barely above suck level. Not worried.

If you can start in the B1G
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-02-09, 11:31

LooseGoose wrote:Scouting reports even on MGoBlow say he's barely above suck level. Not worried.

That's what they want you to think....
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-02-09, 11:56

Rocinante wrote:

That's what they want you to think....

Indeed.

...his college career thus far has been more average than stellar. If this is indeed Lyons' final year at Stanford, perhaps he is looking for a starting opportunity after being forced to split time at cornerback this fall. Under first-year defensive backs coach Duane Akina, Lyons appeared to grow as a player, but some costly lapses may have forced Akina to restrict his playing time.

2/7/15: Lyons had 30 tackles with three passes broken up and zero interceptions in 2014. He didn't impress against USC and struggled versus Notre Dame. Teams generally targeted Lyons instead of throwing at Alex Carter.

5/30/14: Lyons has good size and strength on the edge while also being a special teams contributor. The junior totaled 69 tackles with two passes broken up and an interception in 2013. To rise in the rankings as a senior, Lyons needs to show the speed and athleticism to cover speed receivers. He was beaten too often last year and allowed too much separation.

At 6’1” 195, Wayne Lyons has size on his side as a cornerback prospect. Stanford utilized him exclusively on the right side, rotating out with senior Barry Browning last year. Lyons is entering his second season as a starter in 2014. His first did not go as planned.

Lyons was often picked on when receivers could expose his poor athleticism and technique. The Michigan State game is the prime example. Lyons’ hips are too stiff in transition. His footwork is sloppy in and out of his backpedal as well. Receivers who can quickly enter his comfort zone can get him spinning in circles and gain big separation out of breaks. He will then extend his cushion to inappropriate lengths to make up for it.

Though he has two interceptions a season ago, both against Notre Dame, Lyons doesn’t have great ball skills and isn’t often in position to play the ball in the first place. That means his size doesn’t become a benefit enough. Getting physical with receivers is the equalizer for him as with most technically challenged cornerbacks.

For Lyons to become a viable prospect at all, he must stop stumbling around the field in coverage, make his backpedal and leveraging more consistent, and tighten his space with receivers. He’s a senior prospect who still needs to master the basics.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-03-06, 19:53

SEC style......

In other words: feel free to raise your eyebrows, but don't let yourself be shocked by the news that Sean Patterson -- brother of recent five-star Ole Miss quarterback commitment Shea Patterson -- has reportedly been hired to an off-field staff position by (you guessed it) Ole Miss. Per the Clarion Ledger, as of Wednesday, Sean is now listed in the school online directory under the title of "associate director for recruiting operations."

The job is actually Sean's second on the staff of an SEC West team; he resigned from a position as an LSU offensive quality control assistant on Feb. 17, the same day Shea committed to play for Ole Miss and the Rebels. (Reports that day indicated Sean was already expected to take a similar position in Oxford.) Sean has also worked for Arizona, which just so happened to be the first commitment his brother Sean made, way back in 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25092623/report-brother-of-five-star-ole-miss-qb-commitment-hired-by-ole-miss
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down