Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backup plan?

5 posters

Go down

Backup plan? Empty Backup plan?

Post by InTenSity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 10:00

Is there a backup plan or place to go if something were to happen to this board? I only ask since we are using a free forum and usually in their TOS they reserve the right to delete boards at a whim (I haven't read the TOS here). Will the name itself become an issue with MSU, or is it removed enough to not become an issue. I already find this site much better than alternatives for the time being and would hate to one day show up and the place is gone.

I tried to do a search on this, but nothing came up.
 What a Face
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Backup plan? Empty Re: Backup plan?

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 10:15

InTenSityX wrote:Is there a backup plan or place to go if something were to happen to this board? I only ask since we are using a free forum and usually in their TOS they reserve the right to delete boards at a whim (I haven't read the TOS here). Will the name itself become an issue with MSU, or is it removed enough to not become an issue. I already find this site much better than alternatives for the time being and would hate to one day show up and the place is gone.

I tried to do a search on this, but nothing came up.
 What a Face

We are working on it...

Being on Forumotion is nice at the moment because we can easily change our forum title and url if we run into compliance issues.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 12:47

gHost Spartan wrote:Maybe we should ask the posters for name ideas?

That's probably in the works if we have to change. Right now, I don't see how they can really challenge the name. They are two common words. Hondo uses "Spartan" on his site without issue. I'm going to wait and see.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 12:50

gHost Spartan wrote:Maybe we should ask the posters for name ideas?

Aren't you supposed to be the law effer?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 13:22

InTenSityX wrote:Is there a backup plan or place to go if something were to happen to this board?

tRCMB?  Backup plan? 2599972566 
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 13:24

SeeRockCity wrote:

That's probably in the works if we have to change.  Right now, I don't see how they can really challenge the name.  They are two common words.  Hondo uses "Spartan" on his site without issue.  I'm going to wait and see.  
Is it a domain name that you're looking at? Maybe just TheSwill.com or MSUSwill.com. I don't know much about this stuff, but I would think that if you had your own domain for this site, then if anything ever happened with forumotion, that you could have the domain direct to very basic temporary page telling us all to quit freaking out and actually get some work done while you work on moving us to a new server/forum software, etc. I know that there are costs involved in a domain, so some sort of fundraising would need to be done.

Way back in the early 2000's, after leaving Rivals, tRCMB jumped around to a couple of different softwares and/or servers before landing with vbulletin. I don't remember if it was the SpartanTailgate domain that allowed us to all keep finding it or e-mails or people posting about it on the remaining rivals free board at the time.

If nothing else, do you and Miser have the e-mails that everyone signed up with, or does forumotion protect that?

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 13:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:
SeeRockCity wrote:

That's probably in the works if we have to change.  Right now, I don't see how they can really challenge the name.  They are two common words.  Hondo uses "Spartan" on his site without issue.  I'm going to wait and see.  
Is it a domain name that you're looking at?  Maybe just TheSwill.com or MSUSwill.com.  I don't know much about this stuff, but I would think that if you had your own domain for this site, then if anything ever happened with forumotion, that you could have the domain direct to very basic temporary page telling us all to quit freaking out and actually get some work done while you work on moving us to a new server/forum software, etc.  I know that there are costs involved in a domain, so some sort of fundraising would need to be done.

Way back in the early 2000's, after leaving Rivals, tRCMB jumped around to a couple of different softwares and/or servers before landing with vbulletin.  I don't remember if it was the SpartanTailgate domain that allowed us to all keep finding it or e-mails or people posting about it on the remaining rivals free board at the time.

If nothing else, do you and Miser have the e-mails that everyone signed up with, or does forumotion protect that?

Moving to a dedicated domain name is not an issue. We could actually do that and stay at Forumotion. I don't think Forumotion would ever just pull the plug with no way to negotiate and get back up at least with enough time to do as you say. We have access to emails as well (only the two admins, not moderators etc.). I'm referring more to the University showing up with a cease and desist. If that happens, while we're here, we can just change the site address and name in the admin tools and notify everyone of the change (at least that's what I gather from a little research) which is a plus.

We're working on putting a disaster recovery plan in place behind the scenes. There are some complications but all in all its probably just a matter of execution. Keep in mind that this forum is really just a PHPBB3 forum which we can host anywhere. Forumotion is must providing the hardware and some nice turn-key hosting and admin features. We could recreate this board on a self-hosted site pretty readily but with some caveats.

SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 13:41

Giant Moose wrote:

tRCMB?  Backup plan? 2599972566 
That would be like asking England to take us back if the Constitution failed.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner Wed 30 Apr 2014 - 14:59

Since the name is "Spartan Swill" and the university only has "Spartans Will" trademarked, I think we should be fine.
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down