Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets Discuss the Shot Clock

+3
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
steveschneider
7 posters

Go down

Lets Discuss the Shot Clock Empty Lets Discuss the Shot Clock

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-09, 12:43

35 seconds feels like a f'n eternity out there. For the NIT tournament they are going to experiment with the :30 second clock, Jay Bilas wants a 24.

Me personally I'm in favor of a 2 second shot clock.

Basketball

"Here's how I'd change basketball. You could make basketball a lot quicker. You know what you do? You have a two second shot clock. As soon as that ball is in bounds, get that sumbitch up in the air." - George Carlin
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Lets Discuss the Shot Clock Empty Re: Lets Discuss the Shot Clock

Post by InTenSity 2015-02-09, 12:47

I think they'll end up with something between 26 and 30 seconds. I don't want college to end up the same as the NBA, but it needs to be a bit faster. I also don't see the issue with allowing defense to be played. Lately all the big sports in the US want to get rid of half the game and just score.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-02-09, 12:48

Not just because of MSU's season, but it seems like the game is more painful to watch then ever. Watching the last 5 minutes of that Michigan - Indiana game was just awful. The only way anyone can get an open shot is to launch a 3. Otherwise, it's drive inside, barely get touched and get fouled. Or bounce the ball off of your foot and out of bounds. Or a guy flops and you get called for a charge. The offensive skill doesn't match the defensive output right now, and it's ugly. The officiating is horrid to make matters worse.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-02-09, 12:50

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think the shot clock is the problem. Forcing teams to chuck up shots quicker won't change the fact that the game is called horrendously and too many games end up as free throw shooting contests (especially painful for MSU this season).
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-02-09, 12:58

What about 4 10 minutes quarters, only 1 TV TO per quarter, 6 fouls/player, 5 TO's per team?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-09, 13:00

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Not just because of MSU's season, but it seems like the game is more painful to watch then ever. Watching the last 5 minutes of that Michigan - Indiana game was just awful. The only way anyone can get an open shot is to launch a 3. Otherwise, it's drive inside, barely get touched and get fouled. Or bounce the ball off of your foot and out of bounds. Or a guy flops and you get called for a charge. The offensive skill doesn't match the defensive output right now, and it's ugly. The officiating is horrid to make matters worse.

I agree. I'll pick a game where the outcome went in my favor. Was at the gym and the Duke North Carolina State game was on the tv. I was doing cardio for 30 minutes and the last minute and a half of the game took that long.

It was BRUTAL. There were tv timeouts left and right, timeouts taken immediately after a shot, and duke would foul the second NC State a fraction of a second after they inbound it.

Also, Duke called a time out just to shake the teams hands because they knew the kids were going to storm the court. I hear all this shit about speeding up baseball fuck that, speed up the last minute and a half of a college basketball game.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2015-02-09, 13:03; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-09, 13:01

Bizarro Fletch wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think the shot clock is the problem. Forcing teams to chuck up shots quicker won't change the fact that the game is called horrendously and too many games end up as free throw shooting contests (especially painful for MSU this season).
I'm much more concerned with the officiating.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-09, 13:03

Bizarro Fletch wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think the shot clock is the problem. Forcing teams to chuck up shots quicker won't change the fact that the game is called horrendously and too many games end up as free throw shooting contests (especially painful for MSU this season).

The reffing is awful in college ball there's no question about it. I'll watch a game where I'm impartial and the terrible calls are still there.

Seems like they should have a ref monitoring the game on a tv and he can step in to help get the calls right. The game is just too fast to call it accurately.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-09, 13:06

I like the sound of 28 seconds or 30. 24 is too fast for college, these guys can't play like NBA players. Different animal.

I can't stand the 35 second clock. It is awful. How often do you see teams that will dribble, pass it around, dribble, etc etc, not really doing shit, until there is 5 seconds on the clock and they chuck up some fade away 3 or draw a weak ass foul. It is bad basketball and hard to watch.

It also limits possessions, keeping teams that have no business being on the same floor as the other in the game.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-09, 13:08

steveschneider wrote:

The reffing is awful in college ball there's no question about it. I'll watch a game where I'm impartial and the terrible calls are still there.

Seems like they should have a ref monitoring the game on a tv and he can step in to help get the calls right. The game is just too fast to call it accurately.

PLEASE...less monitors, replays, ref talking to coach delays, refs discussing shit like a "flagrant" or "flagrant 2"

These delays, pauses, etc in the game is what causes people to stay home or get bored at games and go on their cell phones
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-09, 13:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I like the sound of 28 seconds or 30. 24 is too fast for college, these guys can't play like NBA players. Different animal.

I can't stand the 35 second clock. It is awful. How often do you see teams that will dribble, pass it around, dribble, etc etc, not really doing shit, until there is 5 seconds on the clock and they chuck up some fade away 3 or draw a weak ass foul. It is bad basketball and hard to watch.

It also limits possessions, keeping teams that have no business being on the same floor as the other in the game.

The shortening of the shot clock will probably signify the end of an MSU tradition, the weave.

:30 seconds seems like a good start and can fine tune it from there.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-09, 13:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

PLEASE...less monitors, replays, ref talking to coach delays, refs discussing shit like a "flagrant" or "flagrant 2"

These delays, pauses, etc in the game is what causes people to stay home or get bored at games and go on their cell phones

I agree with the stopping delays. I'm talking an extra ref that would watch the games in real time. Put an ear piece in the ears of the refs and can make or correct the calls quickly.

Fletch has a solid point the reffing is awful.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-09, 13:21

steveschneider wrote:

The shortening of the shot clock will probably signify the end of an MSU tradition, the weave.

:30 seconds seems like a good start and can fine tune it from there.

I would welcome the death of the weave.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-02-09, 13:25

steveschneider wrote:

I agree with the stopping delays. I'm talking an extra ref that would watch the games in real time. Put an ear piece in the ears of the refs and can make or correct the calls quickly.

Fletch has a solid point the reffing is awful.
agree 100%
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-02-09, 17:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm much more concerned with the officiating.

I'm hoping this will magically be funny the millionth time, which by my estimation is coming up soon.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-09, 17:44

I think the closest they'll get to the NBA is 28 seconds
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte