Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes

+4
WhiteBoyHatcher
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
LoneWolfSparty
8 posters

Go down

Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes Empty Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-02-11, 13:20

RIP

I still remember the towel.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2015/02/11/son-former-unlv-coach-tarkanian-dies-las-vegas/23231917/

Last edited by LoneWolfSparty on 2015-02-11, 14:03; edited 1 time in total
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes Empty Re: Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-11, 13:34

Saw last night he was on his death bed. He was always fun to watch, a real character that added a lot to the game.

RIP
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes Empty Re: Jerry Tarkanian: The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-02-11, 13:54

I would have gone with "The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes"
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-02-11, 14:03

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I would have gone with "The Shark Sleeps With The Fishes"

Winner!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-02-11, 15:58

Good read from Wetzel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jerry-tarkanian--a-true-rebel-if-there-ever-was-one-172417307.html
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-11, 17:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Good read from Wetzel.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jerry-tarkanian--a-true-rebel-if-there-ever-was-one-172417307.html

"He saw the NCAA as a fraud – a pretentious, overreaching organization that made millions by employing absurd "amateurism" rules. He felt its leadership was concerned only with its own power and money, so it staked out some kind of moral high ground and bullied everyone, particularly poor black athletes."

Couldn't agree more. Give me a Tarkanian or a Calipari any day of the week over a Coach K, or Bobby Knight.

T

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-11, 17:35

steveschneider wrote:

"He saw the NCAA as a fraud – a pretentious, overreaching organization that made millions by employing absurd "amateurism" rules. He felt its leadership was concerned only with its own power and money, so it staked out some kind of moral high ground and bullied everyone, particularly poor black athletes."

Couldn't agree more. Give me a Tarkanian or a Calipari any day of the week over a Coach K, or Bobby Knight.

T

Wouldn't you put Izzo in the Coach K, Bob Knight category?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-11, 17:46

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Wouldn't you put Izzo in the Coach K, Bob Knight category?

Good heavens no. Bobby Knight wiped his ass and showed it to a kid to tell him that's what they were playing like. I think the guy is one of the biggest douche bags and an abusive s.o.b. He preaches discipline but lacks any.

Coach K is different...

I think Coach K is a dirty coach, the perception is he's clean but I've read numerous times he's dirtier than you think and gets away with it because of the perception of that school/program. One of his kids had a big scandal in the diamond district the other year, was buying 30k worth of jewelry. The whole thing reeked of improper benefits. I'm fine with that, but if you are going to do it own it. Its the hiding it and moralizing that guy does that I hate. At least coach cal and Tarkanian are open about it.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-02-11, 18:48

steveschneider wrote:

Good heavens no. Bobby Knight wiped his ass and showed it to a kid to tell him that's what they were playing like. I think the guy is one of the biggest douche bags and an abusive s.o.b. He preaches discipline but lacks any.

Coach K is different...

I think Coach K is a dirty coach, the perception is he's clean but I've read numerous times he's dirtier than you think and gets away with it because of the perception of that school/program. One of his kids had a big scandal in the diamond district the other year, was buying 30k worth of jewelry. The whole thing reeked of improper benefits. I'm fine with that, but if you are going to do it own it. Its the hiding it and moralizing that guy does that I hate. At least coach cal and Tarkanian are open about it.

How is Cal open about it ?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-02-11, 19:54

Dantonio's first year, friday night before the Michigan game. We're all at the Roadhouse pretty drunk. What is it mid October then? Anyway, my wife and I and another girl are sitting at a tall table facing the door. Three guys are facing us with their back to it. Two people are standing at the tall table on the floor, they're facing the bar. In walks the shark at about 11:30 at night. (MSU98 is one of the guys with us). I'm the only one who actually sees his face. He walks by the table and sits in the back room there at the roadhouse with another older guy with an MSU shirt on. I casually say to the table, "Hey that was Jerry Tarkanian who just walked by". All the guys break out in laughter at once. They say "Wags, you're wasted". I admit Iwas drunk as hell. Not denying it. But I kept saying every 5 minutes. "why would the shark be here in mid october in east lansing?" Couple guys got sick of me saying that and said "fuck you wags, I'm going over tapping that guy on the shoulder and saying you think he's Jerry Tarkanian". I'm like "O.K., do it" Sure enough, MSU98 and a friend who is an attorney Michigan grad go to his table, we all watch them. When they go around him the look on their face was priceless. It indeed was the Shark. They took phone pictures with him. I never went to bother him

Story goes, there is a guy, I don't know his name now, but we met him later that evening. He was a football Assistant coach for Duffy. He "retired" to vegas. He became a gym rat, and met Tark. Tark had him work in his program as an "assistant". They would come back to East Lansing and visit now and then, so they decideded to come back for midnight madness and watch the MSU/UM game. Thing is, that guy who was an "assistant" for Tark, has two national championship rings: One in college footall and one in college basketball. He showed us one that night, I don't remember which.

My Tark story. I didn't meet him MSU98 did that night.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-11, 21:01

duffy munn wrote:

How is Cal open about it ?

How is he open about it? Eveyone in the world he knows he "cheats". I. Don't think he tries to hide it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-02-11, 23:03

Guy I follow on the twats posted this. Don't remember it at all. I would have been 13 at the time and probably more concerned with concealing my boner in algebra class.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-02-12, 08:57

Watching that clip for 10 mins and it's insane how much the game has changed for the worse. Makes me cry.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down