Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately

+14
Jack N Coke
InTenSity
SpartanInNH
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
CheesySpartan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
DWags
Code_Warrior
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
duffy munn
Dr. Strangelove
18 posters

Go down

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Empty Jerry Kill retires effective immediately

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

http://www.startribune.com/jerry-kill-retires-as-u-football-coach-due-to-health/337923342/

Too bad but with his health history not like it's a shocker. Seemed like one of the good guys.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Empty Jerry Kill retires

Post by duffy munn Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

For health reasons per the twitter.

Too bad. Damn good football coach.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Empty Re: Jerry Kill retires effective immediately

Post by gomersbro Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:36 pm

For a guy that did not retire despite having multiple seizures on the field during games, it must be serious. He definitely is one of the good guys and does things the right way. Football is losing a good positive influence.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Empty Re: Jerry Kill retires effective immediately

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:50 pm

"he loved the Golden Gophers but he hated all the drawn out winters"..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:22 pm

That's a shame. I had a lot of respect for him. I hope he finds a way to manage his health problems. 54 is too young to be having these kinds of problems. Hopefully, his finances are in good shape, and it looks like he'll get a $200K/yr gig with the uni to help him. I'm sorry to see him go, he's one of the good ones in the college game.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:44 pm

That sucks. Seemed like a decent guy and turned the program in the right direction. Hope his health improves now that he's away from the stress of daily coaching.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:03 pm

A customer's son was part of Jerry Kill's first or second recruiting class at SVSU and played for him 3 years. Kill was only in his early - mid 30's when he became HC and after a couple years the customer told me he was too good to be coaching in Saginaw very long. About a year later he left.

It seems like he's been around forever but he's only 54. Being a Big Ten football HC is a taxing job and it's amazing Kill was able to hang in as long as he did. Hope he has a long boring retirement.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Good man. He has earned the right to finally place himself first.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Agree. Considering all that happened and he kept coaching, he must be in a bad way.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Thread merge is pretty, pretty, pretty cool
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Code_Warrior wrote:That's a shame. I had a lot of respect for him. I hope he finds a way to manage his health problems. 54 is too young to be having these kinds of problems. Hopefully, his finances are in good shape, and it looks like he'll get a $200K/yr gig with the uni to help him. I'm sorry to see him go, he's one of the good ones in the college game.

must be nice to resign and still get $200k/year as a "consultant".
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:27 pm

DWags wrote:Good man. He has earned the right to finally place himself first.

Well said, though I could argue that by placing himself first, he's actually placing his family first. But that's just me. I like to argue.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:30 pm

CheesySpartan wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:That's a shame. I had a lot of respect for him. I hope he finds a way to manage his health problems. 54 is too young to be having these kinds of problems. Hopefully, his finances are in good shape, and it looks like he'll get a $200K/yr gig with the uni to help him. I'm sorry to see him go, he's one of the good ones in the college game.

Depends. If he's consulting with the university child development center, they won't get their money's worth. If he's consulting on matters related to football, leadership, teamwork, etc., then $200k might be too low.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:20 am

CheesySpartan wrote:

Nice things happen to nice and respected people. Kill is 54. He's been in college athletics since he graduated so he knows his way around boosters and athletic departments.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:18 am

Am I the only one thinking, "Hope the Gophers go out and win one for the Killer"? Jerry Kill retires effective immediately 2599972566
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Minnesota hires Claeys full time.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 3m3 minutes ago
3 year deal for Tracy Claeys to become the new head coach at Minnesota. http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/?TCMinn …
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:36 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Minnesota hires Claeys full time.

3 year deal for Tracy Claeys to become the new head coach at Minnesota. http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/?TCMinn …
That seems to be a bit immature. Waste 17 seconds from the 1 foot line and lose a game, so you get a 3 year deal? I'm ok if you want to hire someone, but at the very least interview a few other people.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Total emotional hire and a really bad idea. For references please research Bobby Williams and Michigan State, Bill Stewart and West Virginia or Notre Dame's disastrous mid-season ten year extension with Charlie Weis.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Total emotional hire and a really bad idea. For references please research Bobby Williams and Michigan State, Bill Stewart and West Virginia or Notre Dame's disastrous mid-season ten year extension with Charlie Weis.

Or it could work out like Dabo Sweeney and Clemson.......though not likely. It is Minnesota after all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:15 pm

InTenSity and Doc Strange nailed it.  Emotional decision.  It's not like Claeys is some hot property who is going to be snatched up by another Power Five school with deeper pockets.

He's also a robust gentleman.  Fair or not, head football coach is a highly visible position and projects an image for the university and to recruits.  

Fat guys don't have a great track record as HC's.  You can call it discrimination and it probably is but look at all the coaches in the Power Five conferences.  The majority with few exceptions a lot more coaches have a physique more similar to Dantonio's than Claeys.  Recently departed Brady Hoke looks svelte compared to Claeys.

I wish him well and think the Gophers will be looking for a replacement in 3 years.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:07 pm

So losing to scUM gets you a 3-year deal? Huh. Jerry Kill retires effective immediately 2599972566
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm

The signing was probably due to recruiting concerns. Minnesota's top-ranked across-the-board incoming recruiting class was in danger of falling apart.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:21 pm

I just want to see him eating an ice cream bar during a blizzard again.

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Icecream.0.0
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack N Coke Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:23 pm

GRR Spartan wrote:InTenSity and Doc Strange nailed it.  Emotional decision.  It's not like Claeys is some hot property who is going to be snatched up by another Power Five school with deeper pockets.

He's also a robust gentleman.  Fair or not, head football coach is a highly visible position and projects an image for the university and to recruits.  

Fat guys don't have a great track record as HC's.  You can call it discrimination and it probably is but look at all the coaches in the Power Five conferences.  The majority with few exceptions a lot more coaches have a physique more similar to Dantonio's than Claeys.  Recently departed Brady Hoke looks svelte compared to Claeys.

I wish him well and think the Gophers will be looking for a replacement in 3 years.

It's worked for Bielema, he keeps doing just enough to keep the Arky job.
Jack N Coke
Jack N Coke
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 pm

InTenSity wrote:I just want to see him eating an ice cream bar during a blizzard again.

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 pm

InTenSity wrote:I just want to see him eating an ice cream bar during a blizzard again.

Keep that up and epilepsy will be the least of his problems.

Jerry Kill retires effective immediately Image
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:

A couple of years ago, there were spray-painted stencils of that small over campus.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 pm

*all over campus
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

A couple of years ago, there were spray-painted stencils of that small over campus.

So what you're saying is that once again I didn't come up with an original thought.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:45 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

So what you're saying is that once again I didn't come up with an original thought.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:53 pm

You did find an exception.

There's a reason fat guys stuck in the assistant jobs considered take the drastic step of getting weight reduction surgery and sometimes follow through. Others including their advisors tell them their physical appearance is am impediment to getting a HC job.

Also a reason most don't last 5 years (Tom Anstutz lasted 7 seasons at Toledo, got fired in '08 when he was 52 and hasn't been in football since.

Beliema has 4 losses this season. Arkansas has LSU this weekend and still has Ms St and Mizzou.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:26 am

And Jerry Kill is back as the Offensive Coordinator at Rutgers
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:28 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:And Jerry Kill is back as the Offensive Coordinator at Rutgers

Wtf?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 am

Must have eaten his oats.
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Again, this time from Rutgers.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Can't wait until he takes over the GVSU quarterback coach duties.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:29 am

Damn. Good dude by most all accounts. I hope he finds happiness. I'm not sure what else to say. Of course, it was Rutgers...so
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down