Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts

+7
tTito
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
Ass Dan
The_Dude
LoneWolfSparty
steveschneider
11 posters

Go down

Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts  Empty Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts

Post by steveschneider 2/12/2015, 10:06 am

Plan is to add Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson.

I like Morris, but I guess he's going to split duties with Minnesota. I've never listened to Gibson in the booth.

Stunned that Rod would get demoted, to me he's one of the best to call a game. Very unbiased and informative.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/02/10/detroit-tigers-rod-allen-fsd/23167127/
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts  Empty Re: Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2/12/2015, 10:27 am

Imagine for a moment if Scott Williams is doing color commentary for the Chicago Bulls. And then Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen express interest in the job. Do you think for a second the Bulls would just keep Williams doing it and not jump at a chance to add the two best players from their championship era?
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts  Empty Re: Rod Allen taking on a reduced role in this seasons broadcasts

Post by steveschneider 2/12/2015, 10:35 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:Imagine for a moment if Scott Williams is doing color commentary for the Chicago Bulls. And then Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen express interest in the job. Do you think for a second the Bulls would just keep Williams doing it and not jump at a chance to add the two best players from their championship era?

I don't listen to Bulls broadcasts so I have no idea what kind of commentator Williams is but I see your point.

I think its a mistake for going for former greats over a strong broadcast announcer. I've listened to Jack call a lot of games, and I think Rod is better. Can't comment on Gibson haven't heard him, but my .02 if it isn't broke why fix it?

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2/12/2015, 10:41 am

No
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2/12/2015, 10:45 am

Did you just call rod unbiased? Wtf?

There have been rumors that Mario and rod don't like each other too, so it's possible that played a role in this decision. I love rod, not psyched to have less of him this year
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2/12/2015, 10:46 am

steveschneider wrote:

I don't listen to Bulls broadcasts so I have no idea what kind of commentator Williams is but I see your point.

I think its a mistake for going for former greats over a strong broadcast announcer. I've listened to Jack call a lot of games, and I think Rod is better. Can't comment on Gibson haven't heard him, but my .02 if it isn't broke why fix it?

Agreed. But big names drive big ratings. No one cares that Rod Allen had a few ABs in 84, compared to what Morris and Gibson did for that team. I agree 100% with what you are saying but I can also understand why the Tigers broadcast network would be tempted by this.

(P.S. My Bulls analogy was completely hypothetical. I took a bit player for the Bulls and compared him to legends.)
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2/12/2015, 10:53 am

Ass Dan wrote:Did you just call rod unbiased? Wtf?

There have been rumors that Mario and rod don't like each other too, so it's possible that played a role in this decision. I love rod, not psyched to have less of him this year

Definitely, always very complimentary of opposing teams players/managers gives good insight on the players from other teams. He's a great source of information imo. You compare him the SF, St. Louis, or especially the Cle or Chi Sox announcer those guys are biased as fuck.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2/12/2015, 10:56 am

Gibby in the booth?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2/12/2015, 10:58 am

Shit rod Allen was half the reason I watched the tigers
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2/12/2015, 11:12 am

I really like Rod Allen. He knows the game. He a has knack for telling us what's going to happen before it happens.

Don't Gibby and Jack both have the rep as A-hole-type personalities?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2/12/2015, 11:37 am

Gibby was excellent when he used to do the broadcasts with Josh Lewin. Listening to him you will quickly learn that Rod has a long way to go to truly understand and be able to explain the game, and he brings some wit, as well. I like listening to Rod but Gibby will be a great addition. I find Morris to be a little boring.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2/12/2015, 11:40 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Gibby was excellent when he used to do the broadcasts with Josh Lewin. Listening to him you will quickly learn that Rod has a long way to go to truly understand and be able to explain the game, and he brings some wit, as well. I like listening to Rod but Gibby will be a great addition. I find Morris to be a little boring.

For my listening enjoyment money's-worth, I always love it when you are relegated strictly to radio....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2/12/2015, 11:43 am

tTito wrote:I really like Rod Allen. He knows the game. He a has knack for telling us what's going to happen before it happens.

Don't Gibby and Jack both have the rep as A-hole-type personalities?

Jack is fine. He's got some good insight on the pitchers obviously...I think Rod is better though. I've listened to Jack call both Tigers and Twins games and my critique is he comes off as a bit of a know it all at times. Hogs the mic a little bit as well.

Gibson certainly has a reputation. I was a huge fan and he still to this day has hit my favorite home run of all time. Doesn't mean he's going to be a good announcer.

Rod and Mario are just so loose and natural on the mic. Was watching one game where Mario was out sick and Mario talked about the prep that goes into the broadcasts. The second a game ends they are researching for the next series to try to get ready for the up coming broadcasts. Sounds like a real grind.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2/12/2015, 11:45 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Gibby was excellent when he used to do the broadcasts with Josh Lewin. Listening to him you will quickly learn that Rod has a long way to go to truly understand and be able to explain the game, and he brings some wit, as well. I like listening to Rod but Gibby will be a great addition. I find Morris to be a little boring.

Good to know.

To Gibby's credit he was a disciple of Sparky and has been around some of the greatest minds in baseball during his career.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2/12/2015, 12:29 pm

Rod Allen Drinking Game 2014

Is the end? What a game. pale
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2/12/2015, 1:05 pm

Damnit man, I love Rod.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2/12/2015, 2:12 pm

Tim Wakefield wrote:Damnit man, I love Rod.

Brah, I need a favor for the game on Saturday in the Izzone. Keep an eye out for a text.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2/12/2015, 2:24 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rod Allen Drinking Game 2014

Is the end? What a game. pale

Your contributions to threads like these are phenomenal. Not sure how this board would exist without your efforts. Incredible poster.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2/12/2015, 2:37 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Your contributions to threads like these are phenomenal. Not sure how this board would exist without your efforts. Incredible poster.

The balls on this motherfucker...
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2/12/2015, 2:44 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Coming from you, moran. Go start another thread about poop or some miserable animated movie you watched with your family on Saturday.

Ass Dan wrote:

The balls on this motherfucker...

Seriously.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2/12/2015, 2:45 pm

lol!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2/12/2015, 2:50 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:lol!

That's what I thought. Run along.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2/12/2015, 3:20 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

That's what I thought. Run along.

Quiet son, the adults were having a discussion about the Tigers broadcasting booth this season.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2/12/2015, 3:24 pm

Rod's not all that fellas.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/19/2017, 6:20 pm

Steve Kornacki‏ @SKORNACKI 1h1 hour ago

Steve Kornacki Retweeted MLB Network
Magglio & Miggy rolled on the clubhouse floor, crying & laughing 1st time they saw Rod Allen chase the Japanese pitcher all over the field!
MLB Network on Rod Allen
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 5/19/2017, 11:33 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Steve Kornacki‏ @SKORNACKI 1h1 hour ago

Steve Kornacki Retweeted MLB Network
Magglio & Miggy rolled on the clubhouse floor, crying & laughing 1st time they saw Rod Allen chase the Japanese pitcher all over the field!
MLB Network on Rod Allen

That video never gets old.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down