Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN

+8
Izzo Court
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
DWags
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN Empty Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-05, 13:00

Chris Berman will step down as the host of ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown," "NFL PrimeTime" and "Monday Night Countdown" after this year’s Super Bowl, ending a 31-year run as ESPN's primary NFL studio host, during which time he became the net’s most recognizable face. Berman, who has been at ESPN since '79 and has been an instrumental part of the net’s growth over the past three decades, also will stop hosting such marquee events for the net as the NFL Draft and Home Run Derby. The moves come as part of a new multiyear deal that will keep 61-year-old Berman at ESPN in a reduced role. He will continue to appear weekly on “Monday Night Countdown,” where he will conduct taped interviews and host historical segments about the league. His new deal also calls for him to host “NFL PrimeTime” twice a year -- once after the Super Bowl and once after the conference championship games. Berman also will do play-by-play for ESPN Radio on MLB LDS games. He additionally will be part of the ESPYs. “I like to think of myself as an ESPN lifer,” said Berman. “There really wasn't any thought of doing anything else. ... We’ve had a great working relationship extending 38 years.” Berman’s longtime agent Lou Oppenheim represented the anchor through the negotiations. ESPN Senior VP/Event & Studio Production Stephanie Druley said the new deal came after months of talks. “It’s always been about finding the best fit, and Chris has had a say in every part of that,” she said. “By no means are we pushing him out the door, or even easing him out the door.”

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/01/05/Media/Berman.aspx?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN Empty Re: Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-01-05, 13:04

That guy was a hack back in the 90's. But everyone on ESPN these days are hacks. The last ESPN personality that was worth listening to was Bill Simmons.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN Empty Re: Berman taking a reduced role at ESPN

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-05, 13:05

ESPN has been cutting salary for a long time.

Just the latest.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-05, 13:18

NigelUno wrote:ESPN has been cutting salary for a long time.

Just the latest.

True dat.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-01-05, 13:19

They should hire Keith Jackson.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-01-05, 14:49

2017 is off to a good start. I'm warming up to it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-01-05, 15:37

I think that I can honestly say it has been years since I watched a single thing that Chris Berman has done. IOW, I don't think I'll miss him.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2017-01-05, 15:49

Now I can't blame The Swami when every single one of my picks is wrong every week.

Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-01-05, 22:33

I'm old enough to remember when Sports Center was actually really good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-05, 23:29

Has he taken a breath yet?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-05, 23:50

Berman part of 400# that Ric Flair dead acording to neck
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-01-06, 08:58

DWags wrote:They should hire Keith Jackson.

That Rose Bowl interview was tough to watch.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-05-10, 09:13

Woah. Berman's wife killed in a car accident. RIP.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2017-05-10, 09:16

I don't care for Boomer, but damn that is crushing. I would never wish that on anyone. RIP.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down