Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freshmen ineligible? B1G looks to propose rule

+8
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
Blanch32
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
CORNER BLITZ
12 posters

Go down

Freshmen ineligible?  B1G looks to propose rule Empty Freshmen ineligible? B1G looks to propose rule

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-19, 19:59

http://m.diamondbackonline.com/news/article_02376858-b858-11e4-b662-db4b843c100a.html

"The Big Ten is hoping for support from its member institutions to begin a “national discussion” about ruling freshmen ineligible for football and men’s basketball, according to a document obtained by The Diamondback."
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Freshmen ineligible?  B1G looks to propose rule Empty Re: Freshmen ineligible? B1G looks to propose rule

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-02-19, 20:03

Good luck with that.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Freshmen ineligible?  B1G looks to propose rule Empty Re: Freshmen ineligible? B1G looks to propose rule

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 20:22

What a terrible fucking idea.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-19, 20:35

Morons
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-19, 20:47

Yea won't happen
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-02-20, 04:14

CORNER BLITZ wrote:http://m.diamondbackonline.com/news/article_02376858-b858-11e4-b662-db4b843c100a.html

"The Big Ten is hoping for support from its member institutions to begin a “national discussion” about ruling freshmen ineligible for football and men’s basketball, according to a document obtained by The Diamondback."

Stupidest idea since someone granted Blanch posting privileges.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-20, 09:37

Suppose it did get implemented. Would this motivate the NBA to form a real minor league? Or would they just draft the one and dones without the benefit of a year of college scouting?
I would think most of the one and dones would want to find a place to play besides a college practice squad. And coaches would be reluctant to recruit them because they don't want to waste their time with a player that will never play in games.
....I wonder if they are really considering this or just bluffing the NBA.

Football - it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The only players that shouldn't be redshirting are the ones that are going to otherwise make it to the NFL in four years. That is a very small number at most schools. Considering they have to start practice before even starting class it makes sense from the academic angle. But I have to question that motivation when only football and basketball are mentioned. Don't they care about the academic development of students playing other sports?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-20, 09:52

Herbie Green wrote:But I have to question that motivation when only football and basketball are mentioned. Don't they care about the academic development of students playing other sports?

"and cites that football and men’s basketball student-athletes account for less than 19 percent of Division I participants, yet they account for more than 80 percent of academic infraction cases."

Thinks it's probably because they are the only 2 (out of 4) that you can really go pro in that college acts as their minor leagues
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-20, 10:04

Herbie Green wrote:Suppose it did get implemented. Would this motivate the NBA to form a real minor league? Or would they just draft the one and dones without the benefit of a year of college scouting?
I would think most of the one and dones would want to find a place to play besides a college practice squad. And coaches would be reluctant to recruit them because they don't want to waste their time with a player that will never play in games.
....I wonder if they are really considering this or just bluffing the NBA.

Football - it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. The only players that shouldn't be redshirting are the ones that are going to otherwise make it to the NFL in four years. That is a very small number at most schools. Considering they have to start practice before even starting class it makes sense from the academic angle. But I have to question that motivation when only football and basketball are mentioned. Don't they care about the academic development of students playing other sports?

All it will do is force the big recruits to go to the ACC/SEC/PAC.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-20, 10:12

steveschneider wrote:

The proposal is for everyone
tB1G is hoping for members to support the initiative
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-20, 10:15

steveschneider wrote:

I/they are saying it would get implemented nation wide. I don't think it has a chance but brings up an interesting discussion topic.
The Big Ten does actually seem to have some conscience with the way they stopped oversigning and then pushed for four year scholarships. But with all the money grabs I doubt they put in any rules that hurts their own bottom line.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-20, 10:41

Herbie Green wrote:

I/they are saying it would get implemented nation wide. I don't think it has a chance but brings up an interesting discussion topic.
The Big Ten does actually seem to have some conscience with the way they stopped oversigning and then pushed for four year scholarships. But with all the money grabs I doubt they put in any rules that hurts their own bottom line.

Ha nationwide. That's funny. That's really funny.

When Turner/CBS negotiated a 14 year 11 billion dollar deal to have the tournament they want freshman stars on those courts that people are going to want to tune into see. The only schools/fan bases complaining about the one and dones are the schools that can't draw them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-20, 10:51

steveschneider wrote:

Ha nationwide. That's funny. That's really funny.

When Turner/CBS negotiated a 14 year 11 billion dollar deal to have the tournament they want freshman stars on those courts that people are going to want to tune into see. The only schools/fan bases complaining about the one and dones are the schools that can't draw them.

I am likely in the minority, but I would actually have more interest in the product without them. I haven't watched UK for more than two minutes because the story just doesn't interest me.

The "only schools that can't draw these players" are like 220 out of 225 of them. I think the entire Big Ten has one such player and that is pretty much all I watch.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-02-20, 10:58

steveschneider wrote:

They already over sign
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-20, 11:06

Herbie Green wrote:

I am likely in the minority, but I would actually have more interest in the product without them. I haven't watched UK for more than two minutes because the story just doesn't interest me.

The "only schools that can't draw these players" are like 220 out of 225 of them. I think the entire Big Ten has one such player and that is pretty much all I watch.

And it's what, not even 10 players a year that are legitimate and should go pro based on more than potential

Also like people saying this will kill interest. I don't like MSU because of x player or coach, I watch and love MSU because that's where I went
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-20, 11:13

LooseGoose wrote:

Stupidest idea since someone granted Blanch posting privileges.

Methinks you'd preferred trcmb. They don't let me post there
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-02-20, 11:39

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

And it's what, not even 10 players a year that are legitimate and should go pro based on more than potential

Also like people saying this will kill interest. I don't like MSU because of x player or coach, I watch and love MSU because that's where I went

And half of them go to UK. It would be pretty messed up to implement a rule that affects thousands of athletes because of these 10 (if that is in fact the motivation).
...although it has pretty much killed my own interest in following college basketball on a national level. I can't even see myself tuning into games after MSU is out for the slim hope somebody will upset UK. But people love front runners so maybe the ratings will say otherwise even though it seems the beauty of March Madness is built around drama and the unexpected.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-20, 12:34

Hollis on the issue:

Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis offered a counterpoint to that view, saying that college sports need to be more than just a feeder program to the pro leagues, but that freshman ineligibility may not be the answer.

"College football and basketball can't just be a minor league system for pro sports,'' Hollis told Katz. "Too many times the focus is on the three or four individuals who are viable for pro sports. It's worth a conversation about what gives them the best opportunity [to graduate], but I'm not defending a move toward freshman ineligibility.''

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-22, 13:16

Did the B1G's proposed nationwide discussion make things a bit harder for coaches on the recruiting trail?

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/02/ohio_state_buckeyes_basketball_18.html

And while Matta and his staff were on the road this week they all encountered a major challenge - having to answer questions about the freshman readiness rule the Big Ten has been kicking around.

"I'll tell you what - I am dealing with more issues on that in recruiting," Matta said. "We're getting crushed in this thing. It's not going to happen. Why they link the Big Ten to it, I don't know.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2015-02-22, 14:36

They won't do this unilaterally.   I think its  a bargaining chip with the NBA.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-22, 15:07

WBill wrote:They won't do this unilaterally.   I think its  a bargaining chip with the NBA.

Of course they will not do this unilaterally. That would be suicide. To be honest, while it looks like a bargaining chip with the NBA, it seems like schools are far from unified on this issue and that division makes it a weak chip at best.

But an unintended consequences is that Big Ten coaches are now getting questions from recruits on this issue, whereas other coaches from other conferences are likely not having to field such questions.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2015-02-22, 15:49

Turtleneck wrote:

Of course they will not do this unilaterally. That would be suicide. To be honest, while it looks like a bargaining chip with the NBA, it seems like schools are far from unified on this issue and that division makes it a weak chip at best.

But an unintended consequences is that Big Ten coaches are now getting questions from recruits on this issue, whereas other coaches from other conferences are likely not having to field such questions.
So you can honestly tell recruits that the only way the B1G does it is if everyone agrees. The commish of the PAC 12, ACC and B1G 12 came out a earlier this month and suggested the issue be discussed.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/some-p5-commishes-pushing-for-talks-on-freshman-eligibility/

"With the one-and-done phenomenon growing in college basketball, however, commissioners from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 are pushing for the reopening of a discussion regarding freshman eligibility, Jon Solomon of CBSSports.com reports."
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-22, 16:30

Oh, so they are rally just mad that UK is
WBill wrote:
So you can honestly tell recruits that the only way the B1G does it is if everyone agrees. The commish of the PAC 12, ACC and B1G 12 came out a earlier this month and suggested the issue be discussed.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/some-p5-commishes-pushing-for-talks-on-freshman-eligibility/

"With the one-and-done phenomenon growing in college basketball, however, commissioners from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 are pushing for the reopening of a discussion regarding freshman eligibility, Jon Solomon of CBSSports.com reports."

I am not disputing the fact that other conference commissioners have said such a discussion is necessary. However, I did say two things.

First, the actual schools and universities that constitute the athletic conferences referenced in all of these stories have not shown much interest in such a rule change.

Second, as Matta said in the quote above, it has somehow been sold as the Big Ten wanting this and pulling everybody else into a nation-wide conversation. It is not true, but according to Matta his recruits are asking questions. His quote implies his recruits are suddenly skeptical of the Big Ten. He could be making this up or overstating things, but recruiting is a delicate world. From Rexrode's column today:

Cover a college beat long enough and you'll realize that just about everything coaches think, say and do is first processed through the Recruiting Filter. They are constantly worried about things that might hurt them in recruiting, constantly thinking of things that might help.

Given the delicate nature of recruiting, if recruits are suddenly skeptical of the Big Ten, that is quite unfortunate. Maybe the coaches can forward those links to the their recruits, or just carry around printed copies. Like you said, it is not a Big Ten thing. However, according to one Big Ten coach, he is getting "crushed" based on this issue, and large part because it is being linked to only the Big Ten.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-24, 06:24

"What I love about football and don't like about basketball is the NBA and college relationship. To me, the NFL's relationship with college is better," Izzo said. "So many people complain about how they're taking our players. The NBA doesn't like having this situation either. I think somehow the best bet is to figure out a way to get the NBA and college together and figure out what's best for the student-athlete and what's best for the basketball player."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-big-ten-freshman-eligibility-spt-0224-20150223-story.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-24, 09:31

Last week, Kentucky coach John Calipari wondered if the idea of freshman ineligibility was intended to help students "or are we worried about individual programs?"

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-24, 11:51

steveschneider wrote:Last week, Kentucky coach John Calipari wondered if the idea of freshman ineligibility was intended to help students "or are we worried about individual programs?"

Is this about the NBA or UK?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-25, 08:36

Coaches asked about the issue during Monday’s Big Ten teleconference mostly pivoted to the same answer: We haven’t had enough time to study this and generate a firm opinion.

No one sounded ready to support it outright.

“I’m not sure I'd do that,” Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said.

Coaches expressed varying levels of interest in the change. Purdue’s Matt Painter encouraged discussion of the proposal, saying it was worth having, while Penn State’s Pat Chambers was vocal in his opposition.

Many, including Painter and IU coach Tom Crean, said no such change would make sense, unless it were uniformly enacted across college basketball.

“The initial response is that if it was something that the entire body of college athletics did — in the sense of college basketball and college football — then that’s what it is," Crean said. “But to look at it in the sense that it would potentially be for a selective conference, I don’t think that makes a lot of sense for the world we live in.”

http://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/story/sports/college/ohio-state/2015/02/25/big-ten-coaches-react-freshman-ineligibility-idea/23930901/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-02-25, 08:54

Delaney is an idiot. This isn't going to happen.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2015-02-25, 10:00

Does this open up the possible scenario:
Year one: Ineligible
Year two: Redshirt
Year 3,4,5,6 playing and graduating with a masters degree?
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-25, 10:18

NigelUno wrote:Delaney is an idiot.  This isn't going to happen.  

Agreed. Matta is quoted at the end of the article complaining about how he has to explain to recruits and their families that this is not just a Big Ten thing but a national discussion. I wonder if he is just making that up (to further his opposition), or if people are actually thinking this is a Big Ten thing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-02-25, 10:33

Turtleneck wrote:

Agreed. Matta is quoted at the end of the article complaining about how he has to explain to recruits and their families that this is not just a Big Ten thing but a national discussion. I wonder if he is just making that up (to further his opposition), or if people are actually thinking this is a Big Ten thing.
ESPN had the headline read that the B1G is looking to propose making Freshmen ineligible. No one reads the articles.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-02-25, 10:35

Turtleneck wrote:

People in the South (SEC) are just laughing, and saying it's just a Big Ten thing. There's no way the SEC would go along with this. Delaney is grandstanding for some reason.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-02-25, 10:37

NigelUno wrote:

People in the South (SEC) are just laughing, and saying it's just a Big Ten thing.  There's no way the SEC would go along with this.  Delaney is grandstanding for some reason.  

People in the south are stupid
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-25, 10:44

InTenSity wrote:
ESPN had the headline read that the B1G is looking to propose making Freshmen ineligible. No one reads the articles.

So opposing coaches can plant the seed in recruit's heads that the Big Ten wants them to sit for a year. Great. Good job, Delaney.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-02-25, 11:02

Turtleneck wrote:

So opposing coaches can plant the seed in recruit's heads that the Big Ten wants them to sit for a year. Great. Good job, Delaney.
I'm going to use a catcall to get Bobby in this thread.

ESPN has an agenda against the B1G, they could have just as easily said that 3 of the P5 conferences are throwing this idea around.

:catcall:
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-03-01, 07:32

InTenSity wrote:

I think I see what you are talking about. If you don't read the article, what impression does this headline leave you with...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/294528711.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down