Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CBS Sports - Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy

4 posters

Go down

Article CBS Sports - Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy

INDIANAPOLIS -- Where are you, Connor Cook?

The Michigan State quarterback went back to school rather than entering the 2015 NFL Draft, and I have one word about that:

Why?

According to some general managers here at the NFL Scouting Combine, Cook would have been a potential top-10 pick in this draft. As it is, the class is limited with Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota at the top of the quarterback class, and then a serious drop in talent.

"I don't even know if I like the top two guys," one general manager said. "They can both be picked apart."

CBS Sports - Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy 2599972566

I'll take it though!! Special year coming.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Article Re: CBS Sports - Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy

Post by The_Dude Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 pm

Meh. This year's class isn't as good either. I saw one Mock where Cook, Hackenberger and Cardale Jones were the top 3 guy.

And Cardale Jones is a long long ways off from being an NFL ready QB. Doesn't play in an NFL offense like Cook or Hack and doesn't have the track record.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Article Re: CBS Sports - Combine Musings: With thin QB class, Connor Cook should be in Indy

Post by Herbie Green Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:09 pm

I have never been able to grasp how Cook is so good. In the end, he puts up the wins and stats to show he is one of the best. But he doesn't seem to go about it looking like a polished NFL prospect.
Maybe it is just because I don’t freak out when qbs on other teams make mistakes?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Herbie Green wrote:I have never been able to grasp how Cook is so good. In the end, he puts up the wins and stats to show he is one of the best. But he doesn't seem to go about it looking like a polished NFL prospect.
Maybe it is just because I don’t freak out when qbs on other teams make mistakes?

His footwork and accuracy need work.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:21 am

Herbie Green wrote:I have never been able to grasp how Cook is so good.  In the end, he puts up the wins and stats to show he is one of the best.  But he doesn't seem to go about it looking like a polished NFL prospect.

He's got the height, while he's showed up in big games putting up good numbers while making numerous difficult throws. Guy also just wins, which can't hurt. There's also a dearth of QBs that come from offensive systems that require the QB to make complex reads and be able to work from under center.

I think we're surprised because we watch him so much, and his mistakes (and my god, some of his mistakes are so bad they make me want to scream and rip my hair out) stick out so much more than his great throws. I also think, compared to when Cousins was our QB, our offense isn't quite as much of a pro-style and is more multiple (think OSU under Tressel, I've heard Bollman revamped our playbook to be more like what they had with Smith/Pryor at QB). I am sure that change in offensive scheme has something to do with it, as I feel like QBs that are in strictly pro-style offenses seem much more polished and pro-ready than spread and even some multiple QBs.

It's funny, Cousins seemed much more polished, yet Cook will probably go much higher in the draft. The offense at MSU seemed much more fluid under Cousins as well, yet Cook has led us to greater heights in terms of both points and wins.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down