Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More spent in restaurants and bars than at grocery stores

+16
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
Watch Out Pylon!
Blanch32
Frank Ricard
Snake Plissken
AMwood
DWags
steveschneider
StylesGShmooth
Travis of the Cosmos
Triple Sparty
kingstonlake
LoneWolfSparty
Floyd Robertson
The Pantry
20 posters

Go down

Article More spent in restaurants and bars than at grocery stores

Post by The Pantry 2015-03-07, 19:07

By a nose, American dollars spent at restaurants and bars outstripped those plunked down in grocery stores in January, a first since the Census Bureau began tracking data in 1992.

Think about it this way: More than two decades ago, Americans spent $162 in groceries for every $100 they spent in restaurants. But this past January, they spent nearly equal amounts of money in both places: $50.475 billion in restaurants and bars, and $50.466 billion in grocery stores.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/in-first-americans-spent-more-in-restaurants-than-112803758886.html

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Article Re: More spent in restaurants and bars than at grocery stores

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-03-07, 19:34

I the gas price/disposable income premise is all wrong. Maybe it has more to do with working mothers/dual income families feeling too much time pressure to be spending two hours in the kitchen every night and millenials not knowing how to cook.

Plus, the dollar angle is misleading. Restaurants are expensive. I be more interested in seeing the ratio of meals eaten at home vs. restaurants.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-03-07, 21:08

People are too lazy to cook for themselves. I know lots of people that now eat out or carry out for almost every meal.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-03-07, 22:11

Hot & Ready pizza accounted for 49 billion of it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-03-07, 23:46

I cook one meal on Saturdays and usually two on Sunday. Totally due to laziness.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-03-08, 03:29

32x32
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2015-03-08, 05:10

I'd say I spend 4-5 times more in bars/restaurants than in the grocery store. Heavy emphasis on the bar part.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-03-08, 08:11

StylesGShmooth wrote:I'd say I spend 4-5 times more in bars/restaurants than in the grocery store. Heavy emphasis on the bar part.
Wonder what portion of each dollar figure is for alcohol?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-03-08, 10:06

I've gotten way into cooking, and enjoy it a lot. I used to go out for food all the time because I was too lazy to figure it out.

It's amazing the amount of $$$$ you can save by building a repertoire of meals you can make yourself throughout the week.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-08, 10:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:I the gas price/disposable income premise is all wrong. Maybe it has more to do with working mothers/dual income families feeling too much time pressure to be spending two hours in the kitchen every night and millenials not knowing how to cook.

Plus, the dollar angle is misleading. Restaurants are expensive. I be more interested in seeing the ratio of meals eaten at home vs. restaurants.

Weird, but when the wife and I did the math and said hey, just stop working and stay home at first it was scary as hell. I loved having her income as a safety net. However, when we stopped and she went shopping and started cooking at home, and no expense of travel and day care and dry cleaning etc, it was still a hit, but not that bad of one.

A huge benefit was that we all were able to sit down pre-high school activities and look each other in the face each night at dinner and have a home cooked meal and a family conversation. Wife kind of got good at the coupon thing too. I'm horrible at it, but she's way more organized.

When she was working it was calling each other up and saying "go get the kids I'll go get chinese" or lets meet at Chilli's for dinner than home, or "dinner on your own, I'll take care of the kids". A slow down life is scary at first but you eat more from grocery stores and less from restaurants.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2015-03-08, 22:26

Thats all fine and all but what if you don't like your family?
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2015-03-08, 23:01

AMwood wrote:Thats all fine and all but what if you don't like your family?
Good counter-point. Tell us about it.
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-08, 23:41

AMwood wrote:Thats all fine and all but what if you don't like your family?

Hmmmmmmm damn. Never thought of that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2015-03-09, 05:06

The only meal we eat together at home is breakfast and even then that's not very often. Most of the time the wife cooks several meals at once so we can eat what we want when we want. We seldom eat together and I'm really OK with that. I can't remember the last time we sat together at the kitchen or dining room table to eat.

Still think we spend much more on groceries still, but we also eat out a lot more often since the kids are gone.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-09, 07:40

What's a grocery store?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-03-09, 08:31

Blanch32 wrote:What's a grocery store?

Do you eat out for every meal? Are you pushing 300?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-09, 12:52

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Do you eat out for every meal? Are you pushing 300?

Yes for dinner. Try to eat salads I throw together at lunch.

Since October, I've literally have no no time to cook dinner, and thats not going to change for the next month or so.

And I'll no where near 300 but do need to lose 10 lbs
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-03-09, 13:21

Blanch32 wrote:

Fatty
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-09, 13:24

Blanch32 wrote:

Yes for dinner. Try to eat salads I throw together at lunch.

Since October, I've literally have no no time to cook dinner, and thats not going to change for the next month or so.

I've just lost 45 LBS since January 1. No sugar, no bread no pasta, only use certain mustard without sugar. Eat two proteins a d y and two vegies a day and mix them up. Fruit at the end of the night for fun. Lemmon in my water. No alcohol from Jan. 14th through March 1st. Now it's just straight up Scotch or Vodka. No pop at all of any type, no gatorade.

Visceral fat checks now are down to about nothing. Energy is way up. Found that drinking is overrated for the most part, but do enjoy on the weekends and will do this weekend down in Chicago.

Miss Gatorade the most. Weird.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-09, 14:22

DWags wrote:

I've just lost 45 LBS since January 1. No sugar, no bread no pasta, only use certain mustard without sugar. Eat two proteins a d y and two vegies a day and mix them up. Fruit at the end of the night for fun. Lemmon in my water. No alcohol from Jan. 14th through March 1st. Now it's just straight up Scotch or Vodka. No pop at all of any type, no gatorade.

Visceral fat checks now are down to about nothing. Energy is way up. Found that drinking is overrated for the most part, but do enjoy on the weekends and will do this weekend down in Chicago.

Fwiw, if I did that, no joke I could drop 20 lbs and be more cut than an emo teen's leg. Good job on the discipline
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-03-09, 14:27

I love gatorade too much for that diet.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-03-09, 16:43

I eat and drink what I feel like and play enough basketball to stay fit. Seems simpler than a diet, ya fruitcakes.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-03-09, 16:51

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I eat and drink what I feel like and play enough basketball to stay fit. Seems simpler than a diet, ya fruitcakes.

Aren't you also half the age of some of these bros?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-03-09, 16:59

CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Aren't you also half the age of some of these bros?

You're right about that bro, but I've seen it work. Maybe d wags sits on his ass at too many dance recitals.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-03-09, 17:13

Triple Sparty wrote:I cook one meal on Saturdays and usually two on Sunday. Totally due to laziness.

I'm not a huge fan of cooking during the work week. It just takes too damn long. So whatever I'm cooking on weekends I make sure there's enough leftovers for 2-3 dinners during the week.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-03-09, 18:20

Maybe my tastes have changed and I know restaurant fare has changed. There is a lot more use of central commissaries and foods being prepped off site in a lot of chains. At our house we are cooking more at home. Except for a few cases we find we can cook meals that taste better, have less salt, MSG and other "stuff" than similar meals served in restaurants.

DWags, I applaud your willpower. I hope you can keep most of it off so your new wardrobe still works next fall.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-03-09, 22:07

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

You're right about that bro, but I've seen it work. Maybe d wags sits on his ass at too many dance recitals.

Shit when I was 19 I could eat whatever. Worked in a warehouse and hooped in the afternoon. Calories didn't matter.

Now my metabolism is stuck in 2nd
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-03-09, 22:11

This is shocking to me. In our house it's like a 7/1 ratio at least.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-03-09, 22:13

DWags wrote:

45 lbs in two months? Damn.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-03-09, 22:20

DWags wrote:

It sounds like you went all in. But just how heavy were you when you started your diet?
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2015-03-09, 22:26

Rodeo Burger wrote:

It sounds like you went all in. But just how heavy were you when you started your diet?

He's always struck me as bedridden obese. His wife and kids bringing him 10-12 meals a day.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-09, 22:49

y2kMgrad wrote:

45 lbs in two months? Damn.

It was actually 43 days. Got way too big and my visceral fats were off the charts. I was an old man inside. Doctor supervised. Suplements and checked out weekly by the Dr. at weighins. Fat, hydration, percentage of body fat to mass all that stuff was done weekly.

Was very hard cutting up and eating 4 oz of protein for lunch and then 4 oz for dinner. If it was cod for lunch had to be chicken for dinner. Asparagus for lunch it was a tomato for dinner. Mixed Tuna with celery for lunch and Maille mustard mixed in. (no sugar in that mustard.) Franks hot sauce, to spice things up, but you wouldn't believe how many spices have sugar in it. Himalayan Pink Salt on a lot of stuff. I like it better than the regular salt. But the drinking water for 43 straight days was the toughest. I"ve got used to it now and don't think I"ll ever drink gatorade again, still have cravings for it, but I can get by. Water is damn good. I don't suggest this to anyone without the help of a good cook and support. Only real day that sucked was the superbowl. I still haven't eaten a bread or a pasta, a pice of candy, had a pop. but if you introduce that stuff to your body it slows the metabolism down. Never realized How many extra pounds I had put on till I saw this years christmas pictures. Now it's a ton more calories the past week, but more of a workout in the morning and I really do enjoy just eating healthy. I'll indulge this weekend starting thursday in Chicago. BTW, shopping at the local Amish store for grass fed beef is making the whole family more healthy. It's doable, cut sugar, pasta and stupid drinks out of your life for a month and a half and see what happens.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-09, 22:55

Rodeo Burger wrote:

It sounds like you went all in.  But just how heavy were you when you started your diet?

5'10 and a bit, also over 235.  Always would kid myself I was a big lifter and it was just a muscle thing. Dad developed diabetes and now he's 80 and losing bits of his feet and going through hell.  I was much like my dad in body type.   Not going out that way.

Last edited by DWags on 2015-03-09, 23:41; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-03-09, 22:57

BTW, when I was 238 I would actually lie to people and say I was "Around 200-210" Jebus. No Idea why I did that. Just fooling myself.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-03-10, 21:22

DWags wrote:BTW, when I was 238 I would actually lie to people and say I was "Around 200-210" Jebus. No Idea why I did that. Just fooling myself.

I'm 6'3" used to be 6' 4" before age and a neck surgery. I had some hip soreness and my doc said I could be inline for a hip replacement in another couple of years or try losing 20-25 pounds to get to about 215-220. Lost the weight and once that small child got off my back, magically my joints felt better. If you are 6'2" or taller and don't look like one of the BlubberButts people almost always think you are 20 pounds lighter.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down