Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things to do in Philadelphia

+5
Rocinante
Cym Jim
steveschneider
tTy
HT
9 posters

Go down

Things to do in Philadelphia Empty Things to do in Philadelphia

Post by HT Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 11:53

I'm in Philadelphia until tomorrow afternoon for a job interview, and I figured tSwill would be the place to get some tips.

So, is anyone here pretty familiar with the city and have any recommendations on things to see and check out? I'm staying at a friend's house in Manayuk, but I have a car and they're right by the train station. Hoping to see more of the city since it's looking like I have a pretty fair shot of getting the job and having to relocate here.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Things to do in Philadelphia Empty Re: Things to do in Philadelphia

Post by tTy Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 12:04

Put on a gray hoodie and some sweatpants and start running around the city singing the Rocky theme. See how many Yinzers you can get to follow you around.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 12:05

Independence Hall, good free tour. The go to the cheese steak place by Betsy Ross' child hood house. I forget the name of it but they have a sign on the wall that says 'You can't beat our meat'.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 12:49

Morimoto's place is good:

http://www.morimotorestaurant.com/
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 13:14

Pretty sure Yinz is a Pittsburgh thing, not a Philadelphia thing.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 13:52

Rocinante wrote:Pretty sure Yinz is a Pittsburgh thing, not a Philadelphia thing.

Yeah, I ****ed that up.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 15:42

Go to the art museum. Not for the art, but to run up the steps. Don't be embarrassed, people young and old have been doing it for almost 40 years now. It's one of the most famous movie scenes ever, and there aren't many that you can visit like that. I think the Rocky statue is still there. Back in the 80s they used to have it at the Spectrum, but would move it back to the art museum for filming a couple of the movies. I think they finally stuck with it there at the art museum, but I haven't been to Philly in about 10 years.

Independence Hall is another must. The liberty bell is basically across the street, so you can hit that, too. And I believe within walking distance are Betsy Ross's house and Ben Franklin's grave. Lots of historical stuff in that area, but Independence Hall is about as important a landmark as you can get in US history, so start there.

Must have a Philly cheesesteak. The most famous, classic places are Pat's and Geno's. IIRC, they're kitty corner from each other.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Note Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 16:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:Go to the art museum.  Not for the art, but to run up the steps.  Don't be embarrassed, people young and old have been doing it for almost 40 years now.  It's one of the most famous movie scenes ever, and there aren't many that you can visit like that.  I think the Rocky statue is still there.  Back in the 80s they used to have it at the Spectrum, but would move it back to the art museum for filming a couple of the movies.  I think they finally stuck with it there at the art museum, but I haven't been to Philly in about 10 years.

Independence Hall is another must.  The liberty bell is basically across the street, so you can hit that, too.  And I believe within walking distance are Betsy Ross's house and Ben Franklin's grave.  Lots of historical stuff in that area,  but Independence Hall is about as important a landmark as you can get in US history, so start there.

Must have a Philly cheesesteak.  The most famous, classic places are Pat's and Geno's.  IIRC, they're kitty corner from each other.

No, go to the museum for the art.

Don't go to Pat's or Geno's. Only tourist go there for subpar hoagies.

Do go to Herschel's in Reading Station for a corned beef sandwich and a piece of cheesecake.

Do PennSpartan's wife
Green Note
Green Note
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 16:21

Green Note wrote:

No, go to the museum for the art.

Don't go to Pat's or Geno's. Only tourist go there for subpar hoagies.

Do go to Herschel's in Reading Station for a corned beef sandwich and a piece of cheesecake.

Do PennSpartan's wife
Isn't Pat's the original Philly Cheesesteak, and still owned by the same family? Maybe it's always been subpar, but it's still the oldest, most famous.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 16:35

OK, someone tell me what a yinz is.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 11 Mar 2015 - 16:49

Punch an Eagles/Flyers/Phillies/76ers fan? Things to do in Philadelphia 2599972566
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down