Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes

+9
Cameron
StylesGShmooth
Townie
Blanch32
Giant Moose
steveschneider
DWags
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
13 posters

Go down

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes Empty ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 23/04/15, 11:56 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12742251/trae-waynes-arik-armstead-overrated-prospects-2015-nfl-draft

"1. Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State

While most left the combine in awe of Waynes' speed, the discussion among PFF analysts centered on the fact that his 20-yard shuttle (4.39 seconds) was slower than his 40 time (4.31), a rare feat we couldn't recall seeing. That poor change-of-direction ability was evident on tape, and is a problem at a position where change of direction is vital.

Moreover, for someone who possessed the recovery speed to not have to worry about getting beat deep, Waynes was fairly average breaking on intermediate routes and had only three pass breakups on 59 targets. His mark for yards per coverage snap allowed was just about average, at 1.04, but he was exposed against the most talented passing team the Spartans faced all year (Oregon). In that game in Week 2, he yielded 113 yards on seven targets, including a touchdown."
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes Empty Re: ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 23/04/15, 11:58 am

Placeholder for Bob post.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes Empty Re: ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 23/04/15, 11:59 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Placeholder for Bob post.

ESPN sucks now
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 23/04/15, 12:18 pm

Good luck to Waynes. That's one tough ass position. I get how they need measurables, and because of them the article makes sense. We certainly will find out how GM's feel about his measurables come draft day. Kid made some big plays in college. Who different ball game in the NFL. One thing we do know, he has the work ethic, if he can get there, he will.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 23/04/15, 12:27 pm

The NFL Draft blows
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 23/04/15, 12:37 pm

Mike Renner, the author of that article, has an illustration of Golden Tate jumping into our band as his Twitter profile pic.

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes Fk5yVg0

https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike

Have at it, Swillsters.

Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 23/04/15, 12:41 pm

Giant Moose wrote:Mike Renner, the author of that article, has an illustration of Golden Tate jumping into our band as his Twitter profile pic.

Have at it, Swillsters.

Fuck him up, roc.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 23/04/15, 12:51 pm

Giant Moose wrote:Mike Renner, the author of that article, has an illustration of Golden Tate jumping into our band as his Twitter profile pic.

Have at it, Swillsters.

Apparently he thought all those PIs were legit too. Dumbfuck.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Townie 23/04/15, 02:03 pm

What a dill hole.
Townie
Townie
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 23/04/15, 03:20 pm

Lippett is on the most underrated list.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 23/04/15, 03:22 pm

ESPN: most overrated NFL draft prospects - Waynes 9cb74b06c4d0bf0e5e0129da12ad17687953ffb4ffb8a8df32780829bfc3cf6d
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 23/04/15, 03:42 pm

I am not sure what amazes me more, that ESPN pays people to write crap like this or that they actually get people to pay to read it (yes, I know it is possible to get ESPN+ for free).

Waynes did have a poor 20 yard and 60 yard shuttle time at the combine.  He had leg cramps.  Waynes pro day 20 yard shuttle time was 4.19, which would have placed sixth at the combine for DB's.  Why let facts get in the way of your stupidity - it is better just to throw a subjective "his poor change of direction is evident on tape."

Waynes is not perfect - his biggest knocks are that he uses his hands too much (a Dantonio staple) and that he plays upright, which at times causes his transition issues.  Both are correctable - but as they say - you can't teach speed.  Waynes will likely be picked between 12 and 20 and will offer good value at that pick.  He will be a solid pro.

The most likely overrated draft prospect - Mariota, especially if he is selected #2.  The washout rate for QB's transitioning from a college spread to the NFL is just horrendous.  His high Wonderlich is a good sign for making the switch and given the time to develop he might be a great pro.  If he is picked in the top 10 he will be expected to start from day one.  Experience shows that has not worked very well at all.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 23/04/15, 03:56 pm

MSU addict wrote:I am not sure what amazes me more, that ESPN pays people to write crap like this or that they actually get people to pay to read it (yes, I know it is possible to get ESPN+ for free).

Waynes did have a poor 20 yard and 60 yard shuttle time at the combine.  He had leg cramps.  Waynes pro day 20 yard shuttle time was 4.19, which would have placed sixth at the combine for DB's.  Why let facts get in the way of your stupidity - it is better just to throw a subjective "his poor change of direction is evident on tape."

Waynes is not perfect - his biggest knocks are that he uses his hands too much (a Dantonio staple) and that he plays upright, which at times causes his transition issues.  Both are correctable - but as they say - you can't teach speed.  Waynes will likely be picked between 12 and 20 and will offer good value at that pick.  He will be a solid pro.

The most likely overrated draft prospect - Mariota, especially if he is selected #2.  The washout rate for QB's transitioning from a college spread to the NFL is just horrendous.  His high Wonderlich is a good sign for making the switch and given the time to develop he might be a great pro.  If he is picked in the top 10 he will be expected to start from day one.  Experience shows that has not worked very well at all.

Winston will bust before Mariota IMHO.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 23/04/15, 04:35 pm

Heat Miser wrote:Winston will bust before Mariota IMHO.
That is a definite possibility.

I am convinced that Winston is much more ready to start an NFL game than Mariota is.  The biggest scouting knocks against Mariota are that he does read the field or coverages well, that he takes to many sacks and fumbles too often.  Like I said, if picked in the top ten he is will be expected to start immediately.  Ouch.

Winston has the skills, the questions are character and attitude.  The fact that he showed up out of shape at his pro day to me is a huge red flag.  I was an asshole at age 21 and I turned out to be a respectable adult.  Who knows with Winston.

I think Winston and McHenry should date.  I would watch that reality TV show.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 23/04/15, 08:24 pm

I hate ESPN..
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 24/04/15, 12:04 pm

So, I know this article is obviously crap written by a guy who doesn't have any of the football analytic skill that we have here because he says Waynes is overrated, but that doesn't negate the other article that says Lippett is underrated, right?

I, personally, think he's a bit overrated based simply on the fact that he seems to be rated higher than Darqueze was the year before and I thought Dennard was a far more complete Corner coming out of college.

It's actually a Pro Football Focus writer, btw.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 24/04/15, 04:30 pm

StylesGShmooth wrote:So, I know this article is obviously crap written by a guy who doesn't have any of the football analytic skill that we have here because he says Waynes is overrated, but that doesn't negate the other article that says Lippett is underrated, right?

I, personally, think he's a bit overrated based simply on the fact that he seems to be rated higher than Darqueze was the year before and I thought Dennard was a far more complete Corner coming out of college.

If he were a swill staff writer then maybe I would be impressed and value his opinion.  

Color me unimpressed with the pro football focus site.  Throw out a bunch of stats and hope to sell them to fantasy crazed fans.

His "analysis" of Waynes is simply looking at one stat and declaring him the most overrated person in the draft.  Generate traffic to your site, sell subscriptions to mindless idiots.

Yes, Waynes had a very poor 20 yard shuttle times at the combine.  The fact remains that he was listed as a top performer in the 40, the broad jump and the bench press.  He came of the combine the number one corner in the draft.

I did not read his "analysis" of Lippett but I suspect more of the same.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 24/04/15, 05:11 pm

StylesGShmooth wrote:So, I know this article is obviously crap written by a guy who doesn't have any of the football analytic skill that we have here because he says Waynes is overrated, but that doesn't negate the other article that says Lippett is underrated, right?

Yeah, it'd be great if everything that was written about MSU was fabulous, but damn, people have opinions and stats and stuff
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 24/04/15, 09:29 pm

DWags wrote:Yeah, it'd be great if everything that was written about MSU was fabulous, but damn, people have opinions and stats and stuff

Stats are for losers.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 26/04/15, 09:14 pm

Life is a little less irritating when you only go to ESPN for solely watching MSU games. Who cares what they think?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down