Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby?

+5
HT
Rod Porkmore
Dr. Strangelove
CORNER BLITZ
Tim Wakefield
9 posters

Go down

Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby? Empty Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby?

Post by Tim Wakefield Sat May 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Seriously. What's the appeal?

The last thing I would want to do on a beautiful day like today is stand around a horse track looking at all those dumb hats, waiting for a 2 minutes horse race.
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby? Empty Re: Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby?

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat May 02, 2015 6:27 pm

There's races throughout the day. I think the derby is the 11th or 12th race.

Also its a HUGE party essentially tailgate/drink all day and gamble. Doesn't sound bad
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby? Empty Re: Does anyone actually care about the Kentucky Derby?

Post by Tim Wakefield Sat May 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Lol that sucked
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Sat May 02, 2015 6:59 pm

You can bet on it. Hence interest
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod Porkmore Sat May 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I don't.
Rod Porkmore
Rod Porkmore
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Sat May 02, 2015 10:16 pm

I feel like it's only fun if you're there. You go and be part of the party, and it's probably a blast.

Otherwise, it's all a bunch of hype for like a minute of action. One of the bigger letdowns in sports, IMO.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm sure going is a blast, but, yeah, it's just entertaining to watch the short dudes prance around
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Just got back and it was awesome.

Hit Buffalo Trace Distillery on Friday.  Highly recommend checking it out.  Cool tour.  Old historic buildings and they take you right through.

Got to Churchill Downs around 10am.  Drank bourbon and beer outdoors and watched ponies spin around the track for the next 9 hours. Never been to a race before, so it was quite surreal seeing how fast they run.   The ladies get all dolled up in their sun dresses which is fantastic. And you're not checking out the hats.  Some dudes get dressed up in redic searsucker suits which makes for great people watching.  The crowd is immense and everyone is having a party.  It is basically an all day long tailgate.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue May 05, 2015 11:57 am

Nordic wrote:Just got back and it was awesome.

Hit Buffalo Trace Distillery on Friday.  Highly recommend checking it out.  Cool tour.  Old historic buildings and they take you right through.

Got to Churchill Downs around 10am.  Drank bourbon and beer outdoors and watched ponies spin around the track for the next 9 hours. Never been to a race before, so it was quite surreal seeing how fast they run.   The ladies get all dolled up in their sun dresses which is fantastic. And you're not checking out the hats.  Some dudes get dressed up in redic searsucker suits which makes for great people watching.  The crowd is immense and everyone is having a party.  It is basically an all day long tailgate.
yikes.. sounds like a nightmare.

(though I'm glad you had a good time).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue May 05, 2015 5:37 pm

I went to the Belmont Stakes last year and it really just seemed like an excuse for Long Island trust funders to dress up like it's the early 20th century.

It was cringe inducing.

Betting on races was pretty fun, though. So I'd imagine that's probably it.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down