Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital?

+6
tGreenWay
MiamiSpartan
CORNER BLITZ
Snake Plissken
Turtleneck
LoneWolfSparty
10 posters

Go down

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? Empty why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital?

Post by LoneWolfSparty Mon 11 May - 22:05

I mean I know the English are stupid and gay, but why do they say "I'm going to hospital"? Do they think its a country? Like "I'm going to Argentina". Or maybe a city? "I'm going to Stanley." (That's in the Falkland Islands.)

Stupid.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? Empty Re: why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital?

Post by Turtleneck Mon 11 May - 22:22

Did you go to university?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? Empty Re: why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital?

Post by Snake Plissken Mon 11 May - 22:28

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I mean I know the English are stupid and gay, but why do they say "I'm going to hospital"? Do they think its a country? Like "I'm going to Argentina". Or maybe a city? "I'm going to Stanley." (That's in the Falkland Islands.)

Stupid.
And what do they say when they want to go smoke?
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Mon 11 May - 22:31

Snake Plissken wrote:
LoneWolfSparty wrote:I mean I know the English are stupid and gay, but why do they say "I'm going to hospital"? Do they think its a country? Like "I'm going to Argentina". Or maybe a city? "I'm going to Stanley." (That's in the Falkland Islands.)

Stupid.

That's why he said they were gay
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 11 May - 23:05

Because the English can't even speak proper English (seriously, American English is more of the "true" English).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 11 May - 23:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:Because the English can't even speak proper English (seriously, American English is more of the "true" English).

This statement is nonsensical on its face. Care to defend it?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 12 May - 1:54

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Because the English can't even speak proper English (seriously, American English is more of the "true" English).

Please don't. The man "loves" an English soccer team management by a Scot and Dutchman, most popular in Scandinavia and Asia, owned by Americans, the most popular player of which was Welsh. And he's only bothered to go see them once.

Turtleneck wrote:Did you go to university?

It's really not that difficult, is it. Stupid Bee.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue 12 May - 6:25

Are you Canadian?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 12 May - 6:58

Cym Jim wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Please don't. The man "loves" an English soccer team management by a Scot and Dutchman, most popular in Scandinavia and Asia, owned by Americans, the most popular player of which was Welsh. And he's only bothered to go see them once.

Please try to talk about sports when posting on a sports message board.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Tue 12 May - 7:01

Cym Jim wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It's really not that difficult, is it. Stupid Bee.

So, in essence, your come back is "I know your are but what am I!" Sick burn brah!
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 Tue 12 May - 8:59

Snake Plissken wrote:

Stupid.

I believe they say "I'm going to fag up"
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 12 May - 11:00

tGreenWay wrote:

This statement is nonsensical on its face.  Care to defend it?
I'm glad you asked.  Details are below.

Cym Jim wrote:Please don't. The man "loves" an English soccer team management by a Scot and Dutchman, most popular in Scandinavia and Asia, owned by Americans, the most popular player of which was Welsh. And he's only bothered to go see them once.
Your Xenophobia continues to come through.  But I'm shocked (not really) that Jim has English-centric delusions about his accent, as well as his soccer.

Back around the time that we sent the Brits scurrying home with their tail between their legs, American and British English was virtually the same.  Most assume that the American accent is the one that changed, but it's not.  Around this time, British English, starting mostly in the upper class, started shifting to what is today known as "Received Pronunciation" (aka BBC English, Standard English, etc.).  The most noticeable, was a shift to a non-rhotic accent.  What that means is that they stopped pronouncing the "r" late in words.   Only in New York, New England, and certain areas of the South is non-rhotic English commonly spoken in the US (think Boston and New York accents), and those are very much non-standard American accents.  But it was more than just the non-rhotic accent that was adopted, there was also a shift in intonation and inflections that we now associate with the Standard English.

Now, despite what Jim is probably thinking as he's stewing and trying to come up with some smug response, I'm not talking from an American-centric veiwpoint here.  The University of Cambridge agrees with me.  Page 71 of the Cambridge History of the English Language:  "Received Pronunciation developed at the end of the eighteenth century, during the time of the American Revolution. At that time there was no pronunciation by which people in America could be distinguished from people in England."  It then goes into far more detail for several pages (the rhotic and non-rhotic separation starts being discussed on Page 75) if you're interested.

Cambridge History of the English Language
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude Tue 12 May - 11:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

This statement is nonsensical on its face.  Care to defend it?
I'm glad you asked.  Details are below.

Cym Jim wrote:Please don't. The man "loves" an English soccer team management by a Scot and Dutchman, most popular in Scandinavia and Asia, owned by Americans, the most popular player of which was Welsh. And he's only bothered to go see them once.
Your Xenophobia continues to come through.  But I'm shocked (not really) that Jim has English-centric delusions about his accent, as well as his soccer.

Back around the time that we sent the Brits scurrying home with their tail between their legs, American and British English was virtually the same.  Most assume that the American accent is the one that changed, but it's not.  Around this time, British English, starting mostly in the upper class, started shifting to what is today known as "Received Pronunciation" (aka BBC English, Standard English, etc.).  The most noticeable, was a shift to a non-rhotic accent.  What that means is that they stopped pronouncing the "r" late in words.   Only in New York, New England, and certain areas of the South is non-rhotic English commonly spoken in the US (think Boston and New York accents), and those are very much non-standard American accents.  But it was more than just the non-rhotic accent that was adopted, there was also a shift in intonation and inflections that we now associate with the Standard English.

Now, despite what Jim is probably thinking as he's stewing and trying to come up with some smug response, I'm not talking from an American-centric veiwpoint here.  The University of Cambridge agrees with me.  Page 71 of the Cambridge History of the English Language:  "Received Pronunciation developed at the end of the eighteenth century, during the time of the American Revolution. At that time there was no pronunciation by which people in America could be distinguished from people in England."  It then goes into far more detail for several pages (the rhotic and non-rhotic separation starts being discussed on Page 75) if you're interested.

king
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 12 May - 11:25

MiamiSpartan wrote:Your Xenophobia continues to come through.  But I'm shocked (not really) that Jim has English-centric delusions about his accent, as well as his soccer.

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? Image10
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 12 May - 11:26

LoneWolfSparty wrote:So, in essence, your come back is "I know your are but what am I!" Sick burn brah!

why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? 1284110369
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Tue 12 May - 12:45

Cym Jim wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Your Xenophobia continues to come through.  But I'm shocked (not really) that Jim has English-centric delusions about his accent, as well as his soccer.

Yep you lost that argument! why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? 502811600
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 12 May - 13:28

LoneWolfSparty wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Yep you lost that argument!

There was an argument?! Poor Toulmin would turn in his grave. why don't the English use the word the before the word hospital? 502811600
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down