Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.

+14
HT
Giant Moose
CheesySpartan
StylesGShmooth
Snake Plissken
Death Roe
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Blanch32
MiamiSpartan
CORNER BLITZ
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.

Post by NigelUno Thu May 14, 2015 12:07 pm

InTenSity wrote:Who are we 'rooting' for here? Webber to air all the dirty laundry?

A public fight between Jalen and CWebb. Not a twitter fight. A real fight.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu May 14, 2015 12:25 pm

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

My take, Rose is right that Webber should just come clean. I agree 100% that Webber should own up to it and apologize. Other than that I side with Webber, he's kept quiet and just seems content with where he is in his life. He's not stuck in the past where as Rose seems stuck in the tiny bubble that was the Fraud 5.

Rose's friendship with Bill Simmons has made him the face of that team. Also, Rose's 'uncle tom' comments were just flat out embarrassing and he got owned by Grant Hill. Perhaps Webber has grown up and just wants to put all of that silly shit behind him?

Yeah, except Webber just put Rose on blast.

Rose admits he was a jackass in college. Webber doesn't want to come clean on anything, because he was a big fat liar.

We'll see if "his" story ever comes out.

Doesn't Rose still try to downplay his involvement though, saying that he only got "pocket money"? Or has he admitted to more?

Webber doesn't just admit to being a liar if he comes clean. He admits to a felony (perjury). I think it's long past the statute of limitations, but I still would be surprised if he ever comes out and admits that he got away with felony. That probably wouldn't be good for the broadcast career he's trying to have.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu May 14, 2015 12:27 pm

HT wrote:
StylesGShmooth wrote:Wasn't he leaning towards coming to MSU anyway, but then Underwood went and reported a recruiting violation on his trip to Minnesota (free sweatshirt or something) after Heathcote explcitly told him not to, which kind of upset Webber a bit.

Jud's autobiography talks about the Weber recruitment. I actually thought he was basically a silent commit to MSU until the trip to Minnesota. Then he held off on it as Ed Martin got involved and he suddenly wanted to play with Jalen Rose.

That section of his book actually might be on Google Books to read, actually.
Webber was getting paid by Martin long before that, however. The $280K that Webber received was said to have been from 1988 to 1993, IIRC.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:bump..

Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.  - Page 2 JOdS9
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:bump..

Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.  - Page 2 JOdS9
Chris Webber on Dan Patrick hints that if he could do it all over again he'd have gone green.  - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tMolson Thu May 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I can't even pay enough attention to keep up with who I'm supposed to hate!

For those of us that were around during that time, trust me, just hate any member of that group.
tMolson
tMolson
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 14, 2015 12:48 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah, except Webber just put Rose on blast.

Rose admits he was a jackass in college. Webber doesn't want to come clean on anything, because he was a big fat liar.

We'll see if "his" story ever comes out.

Doesn't Rose still try to downplay his involvement though, saying that he only got "pocket money"? Or has he admitted to more?

Webber doesn't just admit to being a liar if he comes clean. He admits to a felony (perjury). I think it's long past the statute of limitations, but I still would be surprised if he ever comes out and admits that he got away with felony. That probably wouldn't be good for the broadcast career he's trying to have.

He did admit to getting pocket money. Did he get more than that?

I think that's part of the rub with the other Fab 5 guys...Webber got a shit load of money and still played the 'I don't have money for pizza' angle with Mitch. When the other guys found out he got tons of money, they were probably like...what?...you son of a bitch.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
HT wrote:

Jud's autobiography talks about the Weber recruitment. I actually thought he was basically a silent commit to MSU until the trip to Minnesota. Then he held off on it as Ed Martin got involved and he suddenly wanted to play with Jalen Rose.

Webber was getting paid by Martin long before that, however.  The $280K that Webber received was said to have been from 1988 to 1993, IIRC.

Then how exactly was he leaning towards MSU so much? I thought Martin steered kids out-of-state if they weren't going to UM and that Jud/Izzo didn't like dealing with that kind of dirty stuff.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu May 14, 2015 4:36 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
HT wrote:

Webber was getting paid by Martin long before that, however. The $280K that Webber received was said to have been from 1988 to 1993, IIRC.

Didn't get my question answered earlier, what is in it for a guy like Martin to pay a player like that? What does he stand to gain?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 14, 2015 4:41 pm

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Didn't get my question answered earlier, what is in it for a guy like Martin to pay a player like that? What does he stand to gain?

Tickets. Hotel Rooms at Final Fours. Control of players for point shaving.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu May 14, 2015 4:52 pm

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

280k is a lot of money for tickets and hotel rooms for 2 Final fours.

Has point shaving ever been proven or is there good reason to be suspicious?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu May 14, 2015 4:54 pm

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

280k is a lot of money for tickets and hotel rooms for 2 Final fours.

Has point shaving ever been proven or is there good reason to be suspicious?

Let me call a time out and think about it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu May 14, 2015 4:56 pm

steveschneider wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

All the things mentioned above, plus access to insider info. Remember--Martin was also a big-time bookie. I also think he was counting on a pro-contract payday from his "investments" after they signed w/NBA teams. I seem to remember him saying something like those guys owed him, and it was a reference to cash, not just a general statement.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 pm

NigelUno wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Who are we 'rooting' for here? Webber to air all the dirty laundry?

A public fight between Jalen and CWebb. Not a twitter fight. A real fight.

To the deaths.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu May 14, 2015 5:12 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

All the things mentioned above, plus access to insider info. Remember--Martin was also a big-time bookie. I also think he was counting on a pro-contract payday from his "investments" after they signed w/NBA teams. I seem to remember him saying something like those guys owed him, and it was a reference to cash, not just a general statement.

Ahh that makes sense, so it was basically a high interest loan.

What the hell is in it for these bag men. I read that article that came out, they drop off cash to players even if they won't go to the school. I don't get why someone is giving up their own cash to these recruits. Are they writing it off?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Thu May 14, 2015 5:25 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

All the things mentioned above, plus access to insider info. Remember--Martin was also a big-time bookie.  I also think he was counting on a pro-contract payday from his "investments" after they signed w/NBA teams. I seem to remember him saying something like those guys owed him, and it was a reference to cash, not just a general statement.

A large part of me thinks that timeout he called at the end of the final vs. UNC was so Martin could make money on the outcome to that game.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Thu May 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I can't even pay enough attention to keep up with who I'm supposed to hate!

Anybody who ever played for scUM. All of them.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Thu May 14, 2015 6:39 pm

HT wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

All the things mentioned above, plus access to insider info. Remember--Martin was also a big-time bookie.  I also think he was counting on a pro-contract payday from his "investments" after they signed w/NBA teams. I seem to remember him saying something like those guys owed him, and it was a reference to cash, not just a general statement.

A large part of me thinks that timeout he called at the end of the final vs. UNC was so Martin could make money on the outcome to that game.

That sounds like it asks for a lot of analytical thought from a kid who is under pressure in the waning seconds of a championship game.

In short, I find that suggestion dubious.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Thu May 14, 2015 10:41 pm

SpartanInNH wrote:
HT wrote:

That sounds like it asks for a lot of analytical thought from a kid who is under pressure in the waning seconds of a championship game.

In short, I find that suggestion dubious.

Fwiw I think he choked it for the cheddar.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 am

I thought that Ed Martin was just a godfather figure in Detroit that was just giving big time hoopers money at first (mostly for money laundering purposes)? Then later became a U-M (& Mizzou) shill with that 2nd group of Taylor, Basteon, Traylor and their squad. Is that wrong?
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri May 15, 2015 1:04 pm

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/05/14/michigan-fab-five-chris-webber/27297393/

King calls chris a habitual liar. They were known for their trash talk, and now they've turned on eachother.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Fri May 15, 2015 2:33 pm

steveschneider wrote:http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/05/14/michigan-fab-five-chris-webber/27297393/

King calls chris a habitual liar. They were known for their trash talk, and now they've turned on eachother.

Resperts 35 points in Aa against these clowns still to this day is the best performance by a spartan I've ever seen. Sorry skiles etc. One man wrecking crew
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2