Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lafeyette or American Coney Island?

+22
Rick Saunders
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
AvgMSUJoe
duffy munn
Floyd Robertson
Johnny Costanza
tGreenWay
Dr. Strangelove
Nordic
DWags
Cameron
StylesGShmooth
HT
Marc Summers
The Pantry
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
Ass Dan
Turtleneck
Watch Out Pylon!
Tim Wakefield
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lafeyette or American Coney Island?

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Vote_lcap87%Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 13 ]
Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lafeyette or American Coney Island?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:39 am

5'10"
172 lbs
32 X 32
RHR = 42 bpm
BP = 118/68 mm Hg
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lafeyette or American Coney Island?

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 am

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:There was Lafayette or American Coney in EL?

I think it was in the old Taco Bell location (the stand-alone building) or somewhere close to there. If I had to guess it was American, but maybe it was neither of those… maybe National.
my favorite National. Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 3493939353

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 am

The Pantry wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Never been to either. Whenever I drive downtown, its going "to" something which is not hot dog level dining.
So, you've never been to a baseball game? Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 2599972566
Probably had a dog AT a game... but those aren't the coneys. Actually, I had an american coney in Las Vegas once. (lol)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I think it was in the old Taco Bell location (the stand-alone building) or somewhere close to there. If I had to guess it was American, but maybe it was neither of those… maybe National.

Now it kinda rings a bell but certain it was not Lafayette or American. Anyway, Sparty's makes a damn good coney here in mid michigan

It's been 25+ years, but doesn't (or didn't) Sparty's have Flint Style and Detroit Style on their menu? I don't know if Lansing in general or Sparty's specifically has its own coney style, but as a Flint guy I always liked going there and getting the Flint style that I grew up on.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Now it kinda rings a bell but certain it was not Lafayette or American. Anyway, Sparty's makes a damn good coney here in mid michigan

It's been 25+ years, but doesn't (or didn't) Sparty's have Flint Style and Detroit Style on their menu? I don't know if Lansing in general or Sparty's specifically has its own coney style, but as a Flint guy I always liked going there and getting the Flint style that I grew up on.

Yep. Both Detroit and Flint style and both are very good.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

what constitutes a "Flint style" and a "Detroit style"?

(serious question).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:24 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

what constitutes a "Flint style" and a "Detroit style"?

(serious question).

Warning: Bob is about to go from a 32/32 to a 38/32. .
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: what constitutes a "Flint style" and a "Detroit style"?

(serious question).

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: what constitutes a "Flint style" and a "Detroit style"?

(serious question).

Detroit sauce in more soupy while Flint is more meaty.(neither sauce should ever be considered Chilli) And I know your body is your temple Bob but it wouldn't kill ya to eat an occasional coney. It's a Michigan thing.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Detroit sauce in more soupy while Flint is more meaty.(neither sauce should ever be considered Chilli) And I know your body is your temple Bob but it wouldn't kill ya to eat an occasional coney. It's a Michigan thing.
I'll see what I can do.

Was at Dagwood's on Saturday - whoever was rockin' tunes on the jukebox played "Thunder Road" and then it went right into "Atlantic City" - even my wife goes, "did you play music"? Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 502811600

I was like "no, but somebody in here knows what's up".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 pm

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I grew up in Michigan. Went to MSU. Drank Kalamazoo Stout when it came with hand printed labels. Never had or heard what you guys are talking about until the old other board.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:58 pm

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Correct.  Flint style topping is denser, made with beef heart, and less sloppy (easier to eat) than Detroit style.  Koegel makes what I consider the best hot dog.  They also sell Flint style coney topping.

There is also a Jackson, MI style coney/topping.  Forget what's in it.  Dendro might know.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 pm

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Correct.  Flint style topping is denser, made with beef heart, and less sloppy (easier to eat) than Detroit style.  Koegel makes what I consider the best hot dog.  They also sell Flint style coney topping.

There is also a Jackson, MI style coney/topping.  Forget what's in it.  Dendro might know.

Koegel Vienna's are the best hot dogs on the planet
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, MiamiSpartan and The Pantry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 pm

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Detroit area grocery chain called Nino Salvaggio's. New locations and have ramped upscale over the last 30+ years. Make their own bread as well as selling other vendors.

Nino's makes the best hot dog buns I've had. Nothing like the sponginess/fall apart of most commercial. Have a bit of chew to them. Plop a Koegel Vienna into one with topping(s) of choice (usually mustard and onions) is sort of nirvanic to me.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:59 pm

Yeah, it’s not a Coney, but I’ll never understand the draw of a Chicago-style dog. Way too much going on in there:

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Img_8212
Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Img_8211
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 pm

^^^Can someone please explain WTF a sport pepper is?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:31 am

The Pantry wrote:^^^Can someone please explain WTF a sport pepper is?

Beats the feck out of me. I enjoy Chicago but that dog is just bizarre.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:55 am

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Detroit area grocery chain called Nino Salvaggio's. New locations and have ramped upscale over the last 30+ years. Make their own bread as well as selling other vendors.

Nino's makes the best hot dog buns I've had. Nothing like the sponginess/fall apart of most commercial. Have a bit of chew to them. Plop a Koegel Vienna into one with topping(s) of choice (usually mustard and onions) is sort of nirvanic to me.

There’s a place in eastern market where you can buy the frozen Lafayette stuff. I’ve probably walked by those buns at Nino’s for 25 years and never thought of it. I’ll get some next time.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 am

tGreenWay wrote:Yeah, it’s not a Coney, but I’ll never understand the draw of a Chicago-style dog. Way too much going on in there:

Both my parents are from Chicago ( I was born there and moved to Michigan when I was 6). My mom made these all the time and I love them.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 am

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

There was a time 40-50 years that Salay's out of Flint made Viennas even better than Koegel but I'm not sure they're even in business anymore.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 am

It's probably like a fun size Three Musketeers, a small pepper, just for sport.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:10 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

There was a time 40-50 years that Salay's out of Flint made Viennas even better than Koegel but I'm not sure they're even in business anymore.
Doesn't ring a bell for me, but I was a little kid 40-50 years ago, and probably didn't become aware of what brand I was eating until my late teens.

I'm not a food snob about many things, but Koegel's are one thing that I am. I'm forever spoiled.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 am

tGreenWay wrote:Yeah, it’s not a Coney, but I’ll never understand the draw of a Chicago-style dog. Way too much going on in there:

Chile (where my wife was born) has a hot dog called a "completo". Ketchup, mustard, onions...but then tomatoes, mashed Avocado, mayo, and maybe something else. No thank you.

But I remember when we were there and we stopped in a little hot dog shop, and when I asked (well, my wife translated for me) for just ketchup and mustard, they looked at me like I had 3 heads. And then all the workers had a good laugh at the gringo and his silly hot dog.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Doesn't ring a bell for me, but I was a little kid 40-50 years ago, and probably didn't become aware of what brand I was eating until my late teens.

I'm not a food snob about many things, but Koegel's are one thing that I am.  I'm forever spoiled.

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 461156498_98730f3958_b
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zurn Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 am

Detroit? Flint?

How about Muskegon style: G&L
Zurn
Zurn
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 am

also, "Lafayette or American" makes this thread sound like a showdown in the Patriot League featuring the Lafayette Leopards versus the Eagles from American University.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 am

one more thing before my first nap of the day... here's Coney Island - Taylor Swift - the single most threatening individual to insecure white men across the country, featuring the same band at the top of this page, The National.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:29 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:also, "Lafayette or American" makes this thread sound like a showdown in the Patriot League featuring the Lafayette Leopards versus the Eagles from American University.

Coneys are serious business
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:01 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:also, "Lafayette or American" makes this thread sound like a showdown in the Patriot League featuring the Lafayette Leopards versus the Eagles from American University.

Alright I'm team Lafayette then.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:50 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Nino's sells pretty much every type of pepper...best place to shop when planning to make chili. Have never seen anything called a sport pepper there. Would like to know what species of pepper is considered "sport" in a Chicago dog.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:09 pm

DWags wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Detroit area grocery chain called Nino Salvaggio's. New locations and have ramped upscale over the last 30+ years. Make their own bread as well as selling other vendors.

There’s a place in eastern market where you can buy the frozen Lafayette stuff. I’ve probably walked by those buns at Nino’s for 25 years and never thought of it. I’ll get some next time.
Nino's buns would slow those guys down at the 4th eating contest. Nino's sells 1.5# tubs of National sauce in the hot dog fridge case.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 pm

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Nino's sells pretty much every type of pepper...best place to shop when planning to make chili.  Have never seen anything called a sport pepper there.  Would like to know what species of pepper is considered "sport" in a Chicago dog.  

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 SportPeppers_4_Pack__55043.1708460010
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:49 pm

duffy munn wrote:

Both my parents are from Chicago ( I was born there and moved to Michigan when I was 6). My mom made these all the time and I love them.

They just seem… wrong. But I’m all about personal tastes and if you like them, that’s all that matters.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm

Looked up Jackson coneys.  They may be the origin of the Flint coney...since 1914.

Jackson Coney Island

Interesting website but appears the owners have retired

JACKSON CONEY ISLAND MEAT SAUCE

Scottish Highland cattle are bad M-F'ers.  They'll eat pretty much anything including very thorny brush.

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 Scotti10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

They just seem… wrong. But I’m all about personal tastes and if you like them, that’s all that matters.

I can see this Greenway. I started eating them as a really little kid and remember being a touch skeptical. But when Mom cooked you best eat it or one of your 9 siblings will. To this day I put celery salt on any hot dog that's not a coney
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Gimme a pickle, some sport peppers, onions, celery salt, then cover the whole thing in ketchup so much that you can’t see anything underneath. Yum I say
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:32 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I'm not a food snob about many things, but Koegel's are one thing that I am. I'm forever spoiled.

Still hurts my heart that Angelos isn’t around anymore.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote: then cover the whole thing in ketchup so much that you can’t see anything underneath. Yum I say

Dude
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 1de6a1fe727c26c68d673e1dfb6e7a0a

🤤
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Lafeyette or American Coney Island? - Page 2 1de6a1fe727c26c68d673e1dfb6e7a0a

🤤

This is not ok Travis
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next