Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

+9
tTito
StylesGShmooth
steveschneider
Watch Out Pylon!
Cym Jim
MiamiSpartan
Ass Dan
The Pantry
Heat Miser
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Empty FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

Post by Heat Miser Wed 27 May 2015 - 1:07

http://nyti.ms/1HK2EBT
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Empty Re: FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

Post by The Pantry Wed 27 May 2015 - 6:34

Well, there's a surprise...
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Empty Re: FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

Post by Ass Dan Wed 27 May 2015 - 6:37

Deadspin is jizzing really hard right now.

Does anyone (Cym?) Have any insight as to why Sepp Blatter isn't being arrested?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 27 May 2015 - 6:41

This is awesome. These guys have deep pockets via Qatari, Russian, and other "friends" so they'll get good lawyers. But even if none are ever convicted, just shaking them up like this is a start.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 27 May 2015 - 13:26

It's going to funny watching the US and English groups start pretending that their bids were squeaky clean.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Wed 27 May 2015 - 13:27

Ass Dan wrote:Deadspin is jizzing really hard right now.

Does anyone (Cym?) Have any insight as to why Sepp Blatter isn't being arrested?

Because he's not currently implicated in any of this? FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 2599972566
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed 27 May 2015 - 13:28

Can we just shut this whole organization down? Anyone that matters couldn't care less about soccer.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 27 May 2015 - 16:11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2619722/Brazil-police-accused-cleansing-favelas-World-Cup-football-carnival-rolls-town.html

Cops in Brazil accused of cleansing 'favellas'.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/keep-football-beautiful-by-ending-slave-labour-in-qatar

And good old fashion slavery used in Qatar in preparation for their world cup.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth Wed 27 May 2015 - 16:39

Reminds me of this

StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Wed 27 May 2015 - 17:42

Cym Jim wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:Deadspin is jizzing really hard right now.

Because he's not currently implicated in any of this? FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 2599972566

Okay dickfart, why isn't he implicated yet?
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Wed 27 May 2015 - 18:10

Ass Dan wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

When your name is Sepp Blatter no one can touch you; think.... Kaiser Soze, see what I mean? Sepp Blatter is invincible and if any of those other 14 mooks roll over on him they will sleep with the fishes.

And just like that..... POOF he was gone. Get it now?
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Wed 27 May 2015 - 18:44

StylesGShmooth wrote:Reminds me of this

That...is...brilliant.  

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Wed 27 May 2015 - 19:09

That was good. FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 502811600
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu 28 May 2015 - 12:07

Ass Dan wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 502811600

Don't these things follow a general pattern? Arrest some middling folks, see which of them will talk, work your way to the top . . . I suspect that's what they're up to. Shame they're giving US soccer a huge black eye in the process though.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 28 May 2015 - 12:34

Cym Jim wrote:
Ass Dan wrote:

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 502811600

Don't these things follow a general pattern? Arrest some middling folks, see which of them will talk, work your way to the top . . . I suspect that's what they're up to. Shame they're giving US soccer a huge black eye in the process though.
I agree with the first part, but how is this a black eye on US soccer?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 28 May 2015 - 13:26

Andrew Jennings @AAndrewJennings

I gave the FBI the crucial documents that triggered yesterday's arrests. There will be more to come. Blatter is a target.
6:22 AM - 28 May 2015
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 28 May 2015 - 13:35

FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 Summer World Cup In United States

Global Soccer Tournament To Kick Off In America Later This Afternoon

FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 World Cup in United States
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu 28 May 2015 - 14:38

MiamiSpartan wrote:I agree with the first part, but how is this a black eye on US soccer?  

We're only scratching the surface:

The FBI may have struck at Fifa but soccer in the US has been tarnished

Would love to see what's in Jeffrey Webb's accounts!
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 28 May 2015 - 15:19

Cym Jim wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I agree with the first part, but how is this a black eye on US soccer?  

Good. Maybe this will shut this fad down around here.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 28 May 2015 - 15:21

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Holy shit, did a soccer ball fuck your girlfriend? I don't think I've ever seen someone be so adamant about something they don't need to pay attention to. Well, its the internet, so I have seen it, but find your hatred for soccer to be pretty funny.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 28 May 2015 - 15:51

Cym Jim wrote:

Wow, that article is a whole lot of butthurt over being inferior to the US. Maybe they should be thanking the US justice system for actually doing something and not being a bunch of chicken shits like the British and other Europeans who have chosen to just sit back and whine from the sidelines for years.

So basically the article says that because the US is part of CONCACAF, and CONCACAF are at the center of this, then US Soccer is culpable. I guess that's what you get from some in the British press when they've been outperformed by the US in two straight World Cups. But wait, isn't this even more about FIFA, and isn't ENGLAND part of FIFA? Black eye to England! A Brit was even one of the FIFA officials arrested yesterday! Oh wait, the article ignores that in their America-bashing.

The only reason that this centers around CONCACAF is because the US has jurisdiction over their headquarters (and therefore, CONCACAF criminal activity took place on US shores and on US-based servers). You don't think corruption is as bad or worse in the European, African, and Asian federations? They just aren't doing their illegal activity in the US, so aren't part of this probe. But wait until those arrested start talking to try and cut and deal. Of course, even then, the US won't have jurisdiction, so the rest of the world will have to man up and take care of their own problems.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 3627875
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu 28 May 2015 - 16:41

InTenSity wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Holy shit, did a soccer ball fuck your girlfriend? I don't think I've ever seen someone be so adamant about something they don't need to pay attention to. Well, its the internet, so I have seen it, but find your hatred for soccer to be pretty funny.

Sorry, I was just trying to troll the Brit. Soccer is a great sport that the whole word seems to enjoy for reasons unbeknownst to me.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 28 May 2015 - 16:46

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Sorry, I was just trying to troll the Brit. Soccer is a great sport that the whole word seems to enjoy for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Dammit man! A heads up would have been nice! FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 969504605
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Thu 28 May 2015 - 19:03

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

He is pretty fucking troll-able, I think we can all agree.  FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Grouphug
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Fri 29 May 2015 - 2:58

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Wow, that article is a whole lot of butthurt over being inferior to the US.  Maybe they should be thanking the US justice system for actually doing something and not being a bunch of chicken shits like the British and other Europeans who have chosen to just sit back and whine from the sidelines for years.  

So basically the article says that because the US is part of CONCACAF, and CONCACAF are at the center of this, then US Soccer is culpable.  I guess that's what you get from some in the British press when they've been outperformed by the US in two straight World Cups.  But wait, isn't this even more about FIFA, and isn't ENGLAND part of FIFA?   Black eye to England!  A Brit was even one of the FIFA officials arrested yesterday!  Oh wait, the article ignores that in their America-bashing.  

The only reason that this centers around CONCACAF is because the US has jurisdiction over their headquarters (and therefore, CONCACAF criminal activity took place on US shores and on US-based servers).  You don't think corruption is as bad or worse in the European, African, and Asian federations?  They just aren't doing their illegal activity in the US, so aren't part of this probe.  But wait until those arrested start talking to try and cut and deal.  Of course, even then, the US won't have jurisdiction, so the rest of the world will have to man up and take care of their own problems.  
FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Youre-being-this-big-of-an-insecure-whiny-little-bitch-right-now
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 29 May 2015 - 10:37

Cym Jim wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Wow, that article is a whole lot of butthurt over being inferior to the US.  Maybe they should be thanking the US justice system for actually doing something and not being a bunch of chicken shits like the British and other Europeans who have chosen to just sit back and whine from the sidelines for years.  

So basically the article says that because the US is part of CONCACAF, and CONCACAF are at the center of this, then US Soccer is culpable.  I guess that's what you get from some in the British press when they've been outperformed by the US in two straight World Cups.  But wait, isn't this even more about FIFA, and isn't ENGLAND part of FIFA?   Black eye to England!  A Brit was even one of the FIFA officials arrested yesterday!  Oh wait, the article ignores that in their America-bashing.  

The only reason that this centers around CONCACAF is because the US has jurisdiction over their headquarters (and therefore, CONCACAF criminal activity took place on US shores and on US-based servers).  You don't think corruption is as bad or worse in the European, African, and Asian federations?  They just aren't doing their illegal activity in the US, so aren't part of this probe.  But wait until those arrested start talking to try and cut and deal.  Of course, even then, the US won't have jurisdiction, so the rest of the world will have to man up and take care of their own problems.  
FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. Youre-being-this-big-of-an-insecure-whiny-little-bitch-right-now
Typical Jim. Whenever Jim gets completely owned, he posts some little quip or picture that avoids the discussion completely because he has no ground to stand on.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapp Brannigan Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 10:04

John Oliver had fun with FIFA again last night, and had nice things to say for the World Cup sponsors that are still enabling them.

Zapp Brannigan
Zapp Brannigan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapp Brannigan Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 10:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 Summer World Cup In United States

Global Soccer Tournament To Kick Off In America Later This Afternoon

And Jack Warner is an idiot...

Guardian - Jack Warner Swallows Onion Spoof
Zapp Brannigan
Zapp Brannigan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 14:25

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

And Jack Warner is an idiot...

Guardian - Jack Warner Swallows Onion Spoof
It's kind of too bad, really, as his absolute stupidity to take an Onion article seriously may hurt the credibility of his other statements in the lat few days strongly implying that Blatter is neck deep in all the corruption and bribes. We need these guys to be willing to spill the beans on Blatter, but things like this could make Warner look like too much of a lunatic for the FBI to use as a witness.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Mon 1 Jun 2015 - 19:58

Zapp Brannigan wrote:John Oliver had fun with FIFA again last night, and had nice things to say for the World Cup sponsors that are still enabling them.

That guy is fucking hilarious. Makes me hope the Feds indict Sepp Blatter.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 2 Jun 2015 - 12:55

SI is reporting that Blatter or whatever his name is, is resigning. Not sure if its a big FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 2809484752 to everyone, or actual pressure that got to him. I wonder if Qatar is going to keep the 2022 games, but more I wonder if they don't, what are they going to do with all the slaves they have there?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue 2 Jun 2015 - 13:38

InTenSity wrote:SI is reporting that Blatter or whatever his name is, is resigning. Not sure if its a big FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. 2809484752 to everyone, or actual pressure that got to him. I wonder if Qatar is going to keep the 2022 games, but more I wonder if they don't, what are they going to do with all the slaves they have there?
As good news as this is, the corruption won't end with Blatter gone. He still bought 130 or so votes in the election last week, and I fully expect those 130 to vote for one of Blatter's cronies to replace him. They voted for the status quo once to keep what they had going, why wouldn't they do so again?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapp Brannigan Tue 2 Jun 2015 - 20:43

So Sepp is going to stay on and lead the reform effort in FIFA unfettered by electioneering until a replacement can be voted in sometime between December and March 2016.

Just burn the whole damn thing down already.
Zapp Brannigan
Zapp Brannigan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Jun 2015 - 12:55

Zapp Brannigan wrote:So Sepp is going to stay on and lead the reform effort in FIFA unfettered by electioneering until a replacement can be voted in sometime between December and March 2016.

Just burn the whole damn thing down already.
It's really hard to see anyone but one of Sepp's cronies getting elected. And I consider Platini one of Sepp's biggest cronies, despite his very public condemnation of Blatter last week. That whole thing with Platini ripping Blatter, calling for him to resign "as a friend", and threatening that UEFA might boycott the World Cup is really looking more and more contrived.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 3 Jun 2015 - 17:46

Wow, Blazer's guilty plea is pretty damning:

During my association with Fifa and Concacaf, among other things, I and others agreed that I or a co-conspirator would commit at least two acts of racketeering activity. Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup.
 - I believe the above is in relation to a Moroccan bid, not the winning France bid.  I guess the bribing had to improve after failing to work that  year.

Beginning in and around 2004 and continuing through 2011, I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup.

Here's the full transcript (Page 30-32 seems to have the most dirt): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2093153-blazer.html
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 2:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:Wow, Blazer's guilty plea is pretty damning:

During my association with Fifa and Concacaf, among other things, I and others agreed that I or a co-conspirator would commit at least two acts of racketeering activity. Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup.
 - I believe the above is in relation to a Moroccan bid, not the winning France bid.  I guess the bribing had to improve after failing to work that  year.

Beginning in and around 2004 and continuing through 2011, I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup.

Here's the full transcript (Page 30-32 seems to have the most dirt): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2093153-blazer.html

Clearly we're just scratching the surface of corruption throughout US soccer. This is going to get very ugly.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapp Brannigan Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 10:12

Cym Jim wrote:

Clearly we're just scratching the surface of corruption throughout US soccer. This is going to get very ugly.

Chuck Blazer's corruption was never in doubt, but I am curious to see how far-reaching it was within US soccer. Prob not looking great for Gulati right now.
Zapp Brannigan
Zapp Brannigan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 12:17

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:

Chuck Blazer's corruption was never in doubt, but I am curious to see how far-reaching it was within US soccer. Prob not looking great for Gulati right now.
Remember, Cym Jim is just bent out of shape that the US has surpassed England as a soccer nation, as evidenced by the last two World Cups, so his comments come with a big side-dish of butthurt.

I'm not saying that something won't come out, but based on everything so far, I don't see anything that would be a problem for Gulati or US Soccer. Everything in Blazer's plea is about his roles with CONCACAF. If anything he did was tied to US Soccer, wouldn't it be mentioned in the plea? Gulati has been named to the special 3-person CONCACAF committee in wake of the scandal, so that would seem like a really odd choice if he was dirty.

The bribes relating to the 2016 Copa America Centenario have to do with commercial rights, not the choice of the US to host it. US Soccer wasn't the one selling the commercial rights on that. While the Feds have said that this is all just the beginning, the people that have already co-operated with US authorities (specifically Blazer and Jose Hawilla) would be in as good of position as anyone to link US Soccer to any wrongdoing.

Having said that, there is talk now that the 2016 Copa America won't happen. I think the various national federations would jump at the chance to get it cancelled, as the players, their agents, and their clubs are not too happy about it. Think about it, that will be three straight summers of major tournaments for the South American players. It's even worse for European-based players from the US, Mexico, Honduras, and Costa Rica, which could be facing SIX straight summers with a national team tournament if they qualify for 2018 (World Cup 2014, Gold Cup 2015, Copa America 2016, Gold Cup 2017, World Cup 2018, and Gold Cup 2019). Though to be fair, a good number of players from each of those teams play in leagues that take at least couple of months off in the winter. For the sake of the players, this scandal may be a blessing if it gets that 2016 tournament cancelled.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 12:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:[It's even worse for European-based players from the US

Stuart Holden?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu 4 Jun 2015 - 13:21

Cym Jim wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:[It's even worse for European-based players from the US

Stuart Holden?
I think he's just based in Bristol, CT these days.

I was going to make a similar joke in my previous post asking if we still had any European-based players, but as I thought it about for a second, there's still Cameron, Guzan, Yedlin, Brooks, Johnson, Bedoya, Johannsson, and Green that were part of the World Cup squad off the top of my head.

BTW, I forgot about the 2013 Gold Cup, so that could be 7 straight summers with tournaments for the CONCACAF nations that make the WC. Maybe this scandal can get CONCACAF to cut the stupid ass Gold Cup to just once every 4 years?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next