Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing golf

+10
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
HT
Watch Out Pylon!
InTenSity
kingstonlake
CORNER BLITZ
StylesGShmooth
Other Teams Pursuing That
14 posters

Go down

Playing golf Empty Playing golf

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-29, 02:12

Do you guys enjoy playing golf? Do you golf? Watch it?

I don't know what I think about it, honestly. I have been on and off with it for years, never really bought my own set and just used my dad's old set of clubs. I like to watch it, big fan of watching it and think what these guys do is amazing. But, it's always been more about having a fun time on the course and hated to play with people who would get angry or too frustrated while playing. It didn't seem worth it then, so I only like to go with people who aren't so serious.

It's an interesting sport..I'm just spitballin here
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Playing golf Empty Re: Playing golf

Post by StylesGShmooth 2015-06-29, 02:41

I enjoyed the shit out of the Rick's/Riv golf outing yesterday.

Think I might be banned from the course now though.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-06-29, 02:52

StylesGShmooth wrote:I enjoyed the shit out of the Rick's/Riv golf outing yesterday.

Think I might be banned from the course now though.

Because you're black? Bob will get them for that
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-29, 07:28

Join a league. It's lots of fun.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-29, 07:28

Of course scout the beer cart girls first before committing.....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-29, 08:04

I enjoy playing. I will get pissed off on a course though, especially here in Miami. I also get impatient on the course. I'm not out there to spend 6 hours following someone who feels they are playing fast enough. I can finish a round, by myself in about 2:45, with a partner in about 3 and in a foursome in 3:30. I enjoy the shots and creativity you can have on a course. Also, I chipped in on Saturday for a birdie, and that's always fun.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-29, 08:34

InTenSity wrote:I enjoy playing. I will get pissed off on a course though, especially here in Miami. I also get impatient on the course. I'm not out there to spend 6 hours following someone who feels they are playing fast enough. I can finish a round, by myself in about 2:45, with a partner in about 3 and in a foursome in 3:30. I enjoy the shots and creativity you can have on a course. Also, I chipped in on Saturday for a birdie, and that's always fun.
Yeah, but have you shot 59 "numerous times", and had 25 aces?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-06-29, 08:40

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Do you guys enjoy playing golf? Do you golf? Watch it?

I don't know what I think about it, honestly. I have been on and off with it for years, never really bought my own set and just used my dad's old set of clubs. I like to watch it, big fan of watching it and think what these guys do is amazing. But, it's always been more about having a fun time on the course and hated to play with people who would get angry or too frustrated while playing. It didn't seem worth it then, so I only like to go with people who aren't so serious.

It's an interesting sport..I'm just spitballin here

I used to play a lot when I lived in Indianapolis. We didn't have a work league but a group of us usually got out once a week. Since I moved back to Michigan I hardly ever get out. Friends all have kids now, so they don't golf much anymore and tWife doesn't play.

I enjoyed it. A good reason to get outdoors and drink a few beers. I shot a 37 once on  holes. That's my claim to fame. Meaning, I wasn't very good.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-29, 08:45

kingstonlake wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I enjoy playing. I will get pissed off on a course though, especially here in Miami. I also get impatient on the course. I'm not out there to spend 6 hours following someone who feels they are playing fast enough. I can finish a round, by myself in about 2:45, with a partner in about 3 and in a foursome in 3:30. I enjoy the shots and creativity you can have on a course. Also, I chipped in on Saturday for a birdie, and that's always fun.
Yeah, but have you shot 59 "numerous times", and had 25 aces?
I shoot 59 every time I play, for the most part. Unfortunately, its usually in about 10 or 11 holes. Zero aces, but I've had a few eagles.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-06-29, 09:24

Golf used to be a lot of fun for me to play. I'd go out 2-3 times a week with my dad and work on my game, and then I later played varsity golf and lettered twice. It was a ton of fun competing and trying to best your own score and the guy you were playing against (or even just win match play). I still played a lot in college during summers.

Once I graduated and then moved to Washington for grad school, I had almost no chances of playing and almost completely missed the 2014 season save for a handful of rounds in September after I moved home. This year, I don't have the money to go out with my dad and play all the time.

It's a game where you need to play consistently to have good scores and a game where I was all about trying to improve every single round, and be better than the person I was playing with. My game's eroded so much that it's not really fun anymore...I just get really frustrated playing because my game isn't what it used to be, save for a few teasing glimpses each round.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-06-29, 09:46

I love it, go at least once a week in a league. I'm terrible at it. Like, really really bad. So I don't have the same problem ht has because I've never known what it was like to be any good. I still love it though as an excuse to get out and have some fun. I just don't take it very seriously. I try to get better, sure, but if I don't then whatevs.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-06-29, 10:12

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I love it, go at least once a week in a league. I'm terrible at it. Like, really really bad. So I don't have the same problem ht has because I've never known what it was like to be any good. I still love it though as an excuse to get out and have some fun. I just don't take it very seriously. I try to get better, sure, but if I don't then whatevs.
This is kinda where I am. I shoot about 95 every time out. I don't play enough or work hard enough to get better so I don't get frustrated. I just enjoy my time outside with friends, BSing and whacking theball around.  I've been scoring the same for 20 years. Golf takes a lot of work to really improve your game. It's a tough game/sport. 

Never understood the people who go out once a week or less who get pissed that their games aren't improving.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-06-29, 10:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I love it, go at least once a week in a league. I'm terrible at it. Like, really really bad. So I don't have the same problem ht has because I've never known what it was like to be any good. I still love it though as an excuse to get out and have some fun. I just don't take it very seriously. I try to get better, sure, but if I don't then whatevs.
This is kinda where I am. I shoot about 95 every time out. I don't play enough or work hard enough to get better so I don't get frustrated. I just enjoy my time outside with friends, BSing and whacking theball around.  I've been scoring the same for 20 years. Golf takes a lot of work to really improve your game. It's a tough game/sport. 

Never understood the people who go out once a week or less who get pissed that their games aren't improving.
I went out on Friday with a dude who, while sometimes he gets a little hot, is usually pretty calm. I don't know what his deal was but by the second hole he was throwing a club halfway across the fairway. It was one of the least enjoyable rounds of the year because this dude was spazzing out like we were playing Sunday at the masters or something.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-06-29, 10:48

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I went out on Friday with a dude who, while sometimes he gets a little hot, is usually pretty calm. I don't know what his deal was but by the second hole he was throwing a club halfway across the fairway. It was one of the least enjoyable rounds of the year because this dude was spazzing out like we were playing Sunday at the masters or something.
For me, its my fucking short game. I don't hit well off of tight fairways, so if I'm 120 yards or closer, I can get in a lot of trouble. On Saturday I'm playing, on a par 5, I'm within 60 yards of the green in 2. I got a 9 on the hole. I flubbed the shot into the sand, to get out of the sand I hit hard, meaning to hit behind the ball, but made contact with the ball first, to go into an unplayable lie, in the woods, then I chipped 30 feet past the hole and I think I 2 putted from there. Pryor to that I was triple on the first hole, then 3 pars in a row. After that I started using my 7 iron when I was within 50 yards. When I played in MI, because the fairways and the roughs are different I was able to use my 56 degree anywhere from 70 yards in, without the same issues. That is where my frustration comes from. I don't care about my drives anymore, if they aren't with me, I'll go to a rescue club or 3 wood. My putting is improved the most, but slow greens will mess me up.

Edit - I also go through 3 to 4 gloves a round during the summers. That is another frustrating part, is not knowing if you're going to hold on to the club for the whole swing. When I visit MI, I feel as if I play better, even if my score doesn't necessarily show it.

Last edited by InTenSity on 2015-06-29, 10:56; edited 1 time in total
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-29, 10:53

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Second hole and he's throwing clubs Playing golf 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-06-29, 10:59

I used to play a lot but have been down to a couple rounds a year for the last 10 years since having kids. I love it, but I just can't justify devoting 6 hours to it when there are so many other things going on.
Interestingly, I might be a rare player where practice does not actually help my game. When I played a lot I would eventually get in a rut of negativity because of bad rounds - duck hooks, shanks, etc.. Now when I play my mind is completely clear and I hit the ball as good or better than ever. I once went out to Eagle Eye after not playing for two years, which is supposed to be a difficult course, and hit about every single fairway from the tee and was on the green or close in regulation. Ended up with an 84 but it might have been the best I had ever hit the ball in my life. The short game does suffer mightily from not playing but I actually hit the ball better which puts me at about the same high 80s average I have been at for 20+ years. But it might be even more fun now because I don't get upset about it or expect much.
I had been thinking about the mentality of serious golfers and the kind of self-discipline it must take to actually seriously practice. After I hit the ball well I start to think, "wow if I actually practiced and played a lot I could easily be in the 70s". But I think I would just end up mad at myself and not enjoying it as much.
I guess I learned at a young age and it is more like riding a bike. Learning as an adult would have its own challenges and could be more interesting and fun as you improve.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-06-29, 11:07

Was playing Pine Trace years back with a co-worker. He hit a bad drive and got so pissed he helicoptered his club into the woods. Oddly, it missed all the trees and went in deep. Took him about 5 minutes to find it. Knowing he was still mad walking out, it was hard to keep from laughing.

Have not played in almost 12 years. Still have my clubs but just not into it much anymore.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-06-29, 11:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

It didn't get any better... He had a time constraint and I was kind of hoping he wasn't going to make the turn. He decided he had the time, then was rushing, made bad shots as a result, slammed more clubs into the ground. It was super fun.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-06-29, 11:11

It didn't get any better... He had a time constraint and I was kind of hoping he wasn't going to make the turn. He decided he had the time, then was rushing, made bad shots as a result, slammed more clubs into the ground. It was super fun.

Sounds like the right time to loosen the strap on his cart holding his clubs in... that was always my favorite
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-06-29, 11:13

Sounds like the right time to loosen the strap on his cart holding his clubs in... that was always my favorite
We have a douche bag in our league who's always cussing and muttering to himself.......on the practice green. CHRIS, HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU HIT THAT PUTT. YOURE PATHETIC. if it wasn't so annoying, it would be laughable.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-06-29, 11:22

InTenSity wrote:
For me, its my fucking short game. I don't hit well off of tight fairways, so if I'm 120 yards or closer, I can get in a lot of trouble. On Saturday I'm playing, on a par 5, I'm within 60 yards of the green in 2. I got a 9 on the hole. I flubbed the shot into the sand, to get out of the sand I hit hard, meaning to hit behind the ball, but made contact with the ball first, to go into an unplayable lie, in the woods, then I chipped 30 feet past the hole and I think I 2 putted from there. Pryor to that I was triple on the first hole, then 3 pars in a row. After that I started using my 7 iron when I was within 50 yards. When I played in MI, because the fairways and the roughs are different I was able to use my 56 degree anywhere from 70 yards in, without the same issues. That is where my frustration comes from. I don't care about my drives anymore, if they aren't with me, I'll go to a rescue club or 3 wood. My putting is improved the most, but slow greens will mess me up.

Edit - I also go through 3 to 4 gloves a round during the summers. That is another frustrating part, is not knowing if you're going to hold on to the club for the whole swing. When I visit MI, I feel as if I play better, even if my score doesn't necessarily show it.

I think I am in the same boat. From 20-70 yards away good golfers would be thinking up and down. I would gladly take anything on the green and a two-putt and quite often do much worse. This is one place where the negative thoughts creep in because I just know I am going to duff it. It almost seems impossible to me sometimes to effectively hit a half-swing wedge from short fairway grass. As long as their isn't a hazard in front of me, I will take a British Open, or more like my hackers approach of hitting a worm burner 7 iron and trying to roll it up. At least that usually gets me somewhere in the vicinity instead of a chili dip where my divit goes 10 yards and my ball two (or I sail it over the green or shank it in a trap).
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-06-29, 11:33

Never played, cool story brah
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2015-06-29, 11:38

I used to play a bunch, and was at the point that I didn't totally suck.

Then kids & work & kids & having to help do stuff with my parents (at 85 years old it is a blessing they are still here and mentally sharp)  and I don't get out much anymore.

Played my first round of the year this past weekend, it is much more about hanging out with friends (though I still like to be on the course, depending on where it is). I couldn't pitch or chip for shit, took 3 whacks to get completely out from under tree, but I played the entire round with the same ball. That has become an accomplishment, along with no shanks or whiffs, course was pretty wet so that accounts for lost distance/roll-out.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2015-06-29, 14:10

For the past 15 years I had been playing 15-20 times a year, this year however I joined a league and got a membership to a local club.  I took some advice from a buddy and got fitted for clubs at Indian Hills in Okemos and it has taken about 10 strokes off my round and makes golf much more enjoyable.  Not trying to have anyone go there but fitted clubs makes the game much more enjoyable and has cost me less than buying a name brand off the rack.  On another note, join a league and you wont regret it.
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2015-06-29, 14:14

MattyFresh wrote:For the past 15 years I had been playing 15-20 times a year, this year however I joined a league and got a membership to a local club.  I took some advice from a buddy and got fitted for clubs at Indian Hills in Okemos and it has taken about 10 strokes off my round and makes golf much more enjoyable.  Not trying to have anyone go there but fitted clubs makes the game much more enjoyable and has cost me less than buying a name brand off the rack.  On another note, join a league and you wont regret it.

You should change your name to "Dr Obvious", just sayin...
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh 2015-06-29, 14:17

CheesySpartan wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:For the past 15 years I had been playing 15-20 times a year, this year however I joined a league and got a membership to a local club.  I took some advice from a buddy and got fitted for clubs at Indian Hills in Okemos and it has taken about 10 strokes off my round and makes golf much more enjoyable.  Not trying to have anyone go there but fitted clubs makes the game much more enjoyable and has cost me less than buying a name brand off the rack.  On another note, join a league and you wont regret it.

You should change your name to "Dr Obvious", just sayin...
Not a doctor, Mr Obvious would work
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down