Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve

+12
The Pantry
aualum06
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
Turtleneck
CORNER BLITZ
Watch Out Pylon!
Nordic
steveschneider
Rocinante
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  Empty The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 15:42

Thought it might be easier and cleaner to have a separate thread on this...

Alright, Steve, here’s your chance. Instead of just telling us how good and successful your higher-brow radio show would be, I’d like you to show us how a couple of sample hours would be, using a standard sixty minute rundown for each hour.
In other words, don’t just tell us who you want on your show, but start at 00:00 and fill the time until 59:59 with every second accounted for.
Helpful hint: From my experience, it will be easier to insert your content after you’ve created a standard hour for you to work against. Since it’s your show, you’ll have to decide how many spot (commercial) breaks you want, and how long each break will last; I.e., three, four, five minutes? Then, subtract the total number of commercial minutes and create blocks of talk time. Remember to account for your intro times and music bumpers, if you have any. Every second has to be accounted for. I can tell you from experience the less produced a show is, the less polished it sounds, unless you’re Terri Gross, from NPR. Truthfully, I’ve never been a fan of hers. Her voice bugs me. I always preferred Diane Rehm, which is ironic, because she actually has a vocal problem, medically.
One other hint, it’s best if you can carry a listener past the quarter mark, so you can get ratings credit for two quarters instead of just one. In other words, don’t start a break right before and through a quarter break, because that’s when listeners are most likely to switch channels to find content that’s not commercials.
Anyway, take your time with this, because it’s going to require some thought. Don’t rush. I’m curious about a couple of sample hours from The Steve Show. Give us more if you want, but please not less, because one hour isn’t enough to get an idea of how TSS works.

My background: I worked on-air in radio for fifteen years, plus producing Spartan football and basketball games prior to MSU going with one network. I hosted pre-game basketball shows and was a part of the pre-game crew that broadcasted live before home football games. I also produced a couple of Spartan call-in talk shows featuring Ron Mason and another with Bob Reynolds and Skip Macholz.
However, all of that was done 20+ years ago, so I have no doubt I’d be a fish out of water if I walked in and tried to cover for any person, on-air or off, who contributes to a show. In short, I don’t know shit about today’s talk shows, and I haven’t listened to one in 15+ years, but I’m confident my suggestions would fit into today’s programming, at least as far as having rundowns and spot breaks are concerned.

I can’t wait to get a sense of what your show is going to be about. Have fun with this!

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2020-10-21, 19:10; edited 1 time in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  Empty Re: The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve

Post by Rocinante 2020-10-21, 15:44

tl:dr

Don’t take it personally GW.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and CORNER BLITZ like this post

Back to top Go down

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  Empty Re: The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 15:45

Rocinante wrote:tl:dr

Don’t take it personally GW.

No worries. It’s really more for Steve.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 16:05

I'm going to have to carefully read your OP a few times and I'll get right back to you. Also, I think someone else should make a show too. WBH I think you got it in you.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 16:10

Just so I understand you want me to make an outline? I could do that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 16:12

Also, I still think you'd crush it at sports radio. I really do.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-10-21, 16:14

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  276803595
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 16:21

Guys screw my stupid ideas, I think Duffy and Greenway need to get back on the mic. I wish I had known about it I'd love to hear Duffy interview Bo Schembechler.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-10-21, 16:28

Fuckin' Steve. No
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and steveschneider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 16:38

steveschneider wrote:Just so I understand you want me to make an outline? I could do that.

Take your time, as much as you need. Call it what you want; a rundown, a format, a daily game plan. It’s a skeleton for your show that you always work with to fill the rest of your time. It’s not easy, especially not at first. Eventually, you start to get a real feel for the layout of your hours, very similar to muscle memory.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-10-21, 16:39

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Just so I understand you want me to make an outline? I could do that.

Take your time, as much as you need. Call it what you want; a rundown, a format, a daily game plan. It’s a skeleton for your show that you always work with to fill the rest of your time. It’s not easy, especially not at first. Eventually, you start to get a real feel for the layout of your hours, very similar to muscle memory.

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  4113017228 He already gave up
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 16:49

steveschneider wrote:Guys screw my stupid ideas, I think Duffy and Greenway need to get back on the mic. I wish I had known about it I'd love to hear Duffy interview Bo Schembechler.

No. No fucking way. I wrote this out to help you get started and your answer is to punt? Come on, Steve! You’ve been saying you could do a show with an elevated milieu in content and audience. You already know I’m skeptical, but I’m also curious how a show like that would play out. Get to work.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 16:50

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  4113017228 He already gave up

We can’t let him do that.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 16:51

Alright, I'm going to get cracking on this. Stay tuned!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-10-21, 17:19

Hey Greenway, I'm starting from the top down and I'm going to end every show with a six minute rant. Just one hour and fifty four minutes to go.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-10-21, 18:00

You think Steve needs a break? This is going to be one constant stream of Steve's hot takes

Forget the radio Steve, what is this 1983? Start a podcast and start it yesterday
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-21, 18:02

NM

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2020-10-21, 18:04; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-21, 18:04

steveschneider wrote:Guys screw my stupid ideas, I think Duffy and Greenway need to get back on the mic. I wish I had known about it I'd love to hear Duffy interview Bo Schembechler.

Steve's radio career didn't last long. I'm sure Greenway also has advice about things ending just as they begin.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 18:10

steveschneider wrote:Hey Greenway, I'm starting from the top down and I'm going to end every show with a six minute rant. Just one hour and fifty four minutes to go.

Excellent! It’s your show. Do it however you want.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 18:14

CORNER BLITZ wrote:You think Steve needs a break? This is going to be one constant stream of Steve's hot takes

Forget the radio Steve, what is this 1983? Start a podcast and start it yesterday

If it’s on a commercial radio station, Steve will need commercial breaks to pay for his show. OTOH, if he’s going to do a podcast, per your recommendation, then income isn’t necessarily relevant. However, speaking from experience, the vocal cords will need breaks, fluids, etc.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 18:22

Turtleneck wrote:

Steve's radio career didn't last long. I'm sure Greenway also has advice about things ending just as they begin.

Not really. I’ve gotten pretty good at dragging things out, for example, any of my posts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-10-21, 18:30

tGreenWay wrote:Thought it might be easier and cleaner to have a separate thread on this...

Alright, Steve, here’s your chance. Instead of just telling us how good and successful your higher-brow radio show would be, I’d like you to show us how a couple of sample hours would be, using a standard sixty minute rundown for each hour.
In other words, don’t just tell us who you want on your show, but start at 00:00 and fill the time until 59:59 with every second accounted for.
Helpful hint: From my experience, it will be easier to insert your content after you’ve created a standard hour for you to work against. Since it’s your show, you’ll have to decide how many spot (commercial) breaks you want, and how long each break will last; I.e., three, four, five minutes? Then, subtract the total number of commercial minutes and create blocks of talk time. Remember to account for your intro times and music bumpers, if you have any. Every second has to be accounted for. I can tell you from experience the less produced a show is, the less polished it sounds, unless you’re Terri Gross, from NPR. Truthfully, I’ve never been a fan of hers. Her voice bugs me. I always preferred Diane Rehm, which is ironic, because she actually has a vocal problem, medically.
One other hint, it’s best if you can carry a listener past the quarter mark, so you can get ratings credit for two quarters instead of just one. In other words, don’t start a break right before and through a quarter break, because that’s when listeners are most likely to switch channels to find content that’s not commercials.
Anyway, take your time with this, because it’s going to require some thought. Don’t rush. I’m curious about a couple of sample hours from The Steve Show. Give us more if you want, but please not less, because one hour isn’t enough to get an idea of how TSS works.

My background: I worked on-air in radio for fifteen years, plus producing Spartan football and basketball games prior to MSU going with one network. I hosted pre-game basketball shows and was a part of the pre-game crew that broadcasted live before home football games. I also produced a couple of Spartan call-in talk shows featuring Ron Mason and another with Bob Reynolds and Skip Macholz.
However, all of that was done 20+ years ago, so I have no doubt I’d be a fish out of water if I walked in and tried to cover for any person, on-air or off, who contributes to a show. In short, I don’t know shit about today’s talk shows, and I haven’t listened to one in 15+ years, but I’m confident my suggestions would fit into today’s programming, at least as far as having rundowns and spot breaks are concerned.

I can’t wait to get a sense of what your show is going to be about. Have fun with this!

Wow. A Skippy reference. We have a ton of mutual friends Greenway.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-10-21, 18:39

Although Greenway is the real expert here I have some advice for Steve.

1. Get a partner. Whether he is a straight man or antagonist doesn't matter. Carrying 60 minutes alone is going to be tough.

2. Make sure you have a contact who can reach potential guests. Not every sports personality is like Tom Izzo who says yes to everyone.

3. Prep. Shouldn't be hard for you. Watch a ton of games, read everything you can. As Greenway pointed out, you need a plan ( topics) for 60 minutes.

Good luck, fucking Steve.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 19:03

duffy munn wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Thought it might be easier and cleaner to have a separate thread on this...

Wow. A Skippy reference. We have a ton of mutual friends Greenway.

In terms of actual number of friends, maybe. In total weight of 4-5 mutual friends, definitely.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 19:08

duffy munn wrote:Although Greenway is the real expert here I have some advice for Steve.

1. Get a partner. Whether he is a straight man or antagonist doesn't matter. Carrying 60 minutes alone is going to be tough.

2. Make sure you have a contact who can reach potential guests. Not every sports personality is like Tom Izzo who says yes to everyone.

3. Prep. Shouldn't be hard for you. Watch a ton of games, read everything you can. As Greenway pointed out, you need a plan ( topics) for 60 minutes.

Great recommendations. Steve would be wise to follow them. I pulled back on all but a few recommendations because it’s his show. Plus, he needs to get a feel for how only one hour of a show works and then remember he has to do it 3-4 hours a day, five days a week. It’s not easy and it requires being “up” on so many things all the time.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 19:12

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Not really. I’ve gotten pretty good at dragging things out, for example, any of my posts.

You were awfully quick to like my post, Floyd. Maybe a little too quick. The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-21, 19:16

Steve baited tGreenWay into writing a Guest-like manifesto (minus the unbridled rage) and Steve just kinda backs out...

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-10-21, 19:16

tGreenWay wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

You were awfully quick to like my post, Floyd. Maybe a little too quick. The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  502811600

Timing is everything. Wink
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-21, 19:17

duffy munn wrote:Although Greenway is the real expert here I have some advice for Steve.

oh, and get drunk as fuck before going on air.

Good luck.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-21, 19:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Steve baited tGreenWay into writing a Guest-like manifesto (minus the unbridled rage) and Steve just kinda backs out...

The Steve Show: Sample hours from our friend and star of the show: Steve  502811600

Right? Designed to help get his show rolling and he quits. That’s a punk move. Never figured Steve to be a quitter. That’s fer sure not laying his ass on the line.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-21, 19:25

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Steve baited tGreenWay into writing a Guest-like manifesto (minus the unbridled rage) and Steve just kinda backs out...

Right? Designed to help get his show rolling and he quits. That’s a punk move. Never figured Steve to be a quitter. That’s fer sure not laying his ass on the line.
he's gonna get nowhere in talk radio with an attitude like that.

Do you think Mad Dog said it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-10-21, 19:39

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:You think Steve needs a break? This is going to be one constant stream of Steve's hot takes

If it’s on a commercial radio station, Steve will need commercial breaks to pay for his show. OTOH, if he’s going to do a podcast, per your recommendation, then income isn’t necessarily relevant. However, speaking from experience, the vocal cords will need breaks, fluids, etc.

He can ad reads and say "tell em Steve sent ya"
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-10-21, 19:39

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Good luck.

I never got drunk but that doesn't mean I wasn't altered some times.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-10-21, 19:51

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: oh, and get drunk as fuck before going on air.

Good luck.

Was at Spartan Hall of Fame a couple of years back before a football game. Staudt, Mad Dog, Joey Pants, et al were doing their pregame show and Staudt was drinking beer. Kinda surprised me a little, 'cause I figured he was "on the clock".. of course, Staudt may have his own set of rules.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-10-21, 19:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Good luck.

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

he's gonna get nowhere in talk radio with an attitude like that.

Do you think Mad Dog said it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hey now, Mad Dog had a meteoric rise to sports talk radio fame in the 128th market in America.

It all started when he would hold court while slinging gin at his family bar Demarcos. ( many of his regulars from back then moved over to Dagwoods. A lot of them are now dead)

Then Dog started calling Papa Joe Chevalier's national show and a star was born. He didn't even need to learn english. 'Merica!
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2020-10-21, 19:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Was at Spartan Hall of Fame a couple of years back before a football game. Staudt, Mad Dog, Joey Pants, et al were doing their pregame show and Staudt was drinking beer. Kinda surprised me a little, 'cause I figured he was "on the clock".. of course, Staudt may have his own set of rules.

It's good to be the Dean
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-10-21, 20:24

GreenWay got played by Steve. Steve is playing 3D Chess and GW is playing Connect Four.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-10-21, 21:22

Turtleneck wrote:GreenWay got played by Steve. Steve is playing 3D Chess and GW is playing Connect Four.

Connect four is a good game
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-10-21, 21:29

Nope. Sometimes difficult to even read his posts.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-10-22, 00:01

The Pantry wrote:Nope. Sometimes difficult to even read his posts.

If Steve is going to take the time to format a couple of hours of his new radio show, you can pull yourself away from your precious bbq forum for a couple of minutes and make time to see his presentation.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next