Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration?

+7
HT
InTenSity
Rocinante
Rodeo Burger
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Giant Moose
11 posters

Go down

Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration? Empty Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration?

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-20, 14:09

@McMurphyESPN
Gary Pinkel said no independents in @CFBPlayoff. “Give Notre Dame year to join a league. They don’t have independents in NFL"

Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel made this comment today, and I agree with him. I like Notre Dame in general, but this independent crap and giving them special treatment should end now that we are in this new era.

Why don't the power conferences end this nonsense? What's in it for the power conferences, and why does ND currently have this much power?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration? Empty Re: Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration?

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-20, 14:16

$$$ and ratings.

The NCAA would cream their jeans if ND could be the Duke equivalent in CFB. They have the perception of having athletes that are smarter than other schools athletes even though very few would qualify for ND without a FB scholarship and everyone believes they are a super clean/highly disciplined program which is a load of BS.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration? Empty Re: Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration?

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-20, 14:26

As I said here a few weeks ago, I want ND in the B1G. The Fucking Irish will always be my #2 Spartan rival. I grew up hating them. tOSU is a distant third, and that was really only because of that asshole Woody. The Hoosiers are too quaint to really dislike, and IU women are effing hot.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-07-20, 14:32

Giant Moose wrote:
Why don't the power conferences end this nonsense? What's in it for the power conferences, and why does ND currently have this much power?

Because ND gets ratings, and every school out there would be glad to schedule a home and home with them.

I agree with Pinkle. ND would be in a conference by now if the ACC hadn't bent over for them.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-20, 14:33

tGreenWay wrote:As I said here a few weeks ago, I want ND in the B1G. The Fucking Irish will always be my #2 Spartan rival. I grew up hating them. tOSU is a distant third, and that was really only because of that asshole Woody. The Hoosiers are too quaint to really dislike, and IU women are effing hot.
I want them in the B1G, too.

I think a lot of schools probably feel like Mizzou's coach does. I bet if they took it to a vote with each power conference school having a vote enough of them would feel the same way as Mizzou, and Notre Dame would be forced to join a conference.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-07-20, 15:21

Cupcake scheduled don't get you in. Fuck em.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-20, 16:05

Giant Moose wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:As I said here a few weeks ago, I want ND in the B1G. The Fucking Irish will always be my #2 Spartan rival. I grew up hating them. tOSU is a distant third, and that was really only because of that asshole Woody. The Hoosiers are too quaint to really dislike, and IU women are effing hot.

I think a lot of schools probably feel like Mizzou's coach does. I bet if they took it to a vote with each power conference school having a vote enough of them would feel the same way as Mizzou, and Notre Dame would be forced to join a conference.

I'd love to see it happen, though history shows us they'll align with anyone else just to avoid the B1G. It's cowardly.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-20, 16:13

tGreenWay wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

I'd love to see it happen, though history shows us they'll align with anyone else just to avoid the B1G. It's cowardly.
They are probably lobbying, Boston, Yale, Harvard, Ohio, Butler, FIU, UofM (Maine), and Anchorage to start the BEast again.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-20, 16:13

I would love seeing ND become irrelevant. College football doesn't really need them to be good in order to thrive.

They're dying a slow death. I don't really know what coach can fix things there and get them to be what they were pre 1990s.

Someday, when the baby boomers are all dead, college football will be so much better because we won't have people obsessed with these old bluebloods that haven't done anything in a long time (ND, Michigan, Nebraska, etc.) and the name of the school won't carry as much impact as the quality of play.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-20, 16:23

HT wrote:I would love seeing ND become irrelevant. College football doesn't really need them to be good in order to thrive.

They're dying a slow death. I don't really know what coach can fix things there and get them to be what they were pre 1990s.

Someday, when the baby boomers are all dead, college football will be so much better because we won't have people obsessed with these old bluebloods that haven't done anything in a long time (ND, Michigan, Nebraska, etc.) and the name of the school won't carry as much impact as the quality of play.

Highly disagree, the ESPN/NBC TV model still upholds the blue blood and 'new blood' model. ND draws eye balls to the tv and brings tons of cash to cities where they play.

I don't see anything changing that anytime soon.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-20, 16:26

steveschneider wrote:
HT wrote:I would love seeing ND become irrelevant. College football doesn't really need them to be good in order to thrive.

Highly disagree, the ESPN/NBC TV model still upholds the blue blood and 'new blood' model. ND draws eye balls to the tv and brings tons of cash to cities where they play.

It's only like that because there's still a very large segment of college football fans who remember when schools like ND were football powers.

In 30 years from now, when my age group is as old as the baby boomers, if schools like Michigan and ND don't win titles and continue to be what they have been this century, I would bet that they're really not going to be viewed as much different from schools like Oregon, MSU, Wisconsin, TCU, Baylor, etc.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-20, 16:34

ND belongs in the GLIAC not the Big Ten. Fuck ND.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-20, 16:35

HT wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

It's only like that because there's still a very large segment of college football fans who remember when schools like ND were football powers.

In 30 years from now, when my age group is as old as the baby boomers, if schools like Michigan and ND don't win titles and continue to be what they have been this century, I would bet that they're really not going to be viewed as much different from schools like Oregon, MSU, Wisconsin, TCU, Baylor, etc.

ND is like a Dallas cowboys or New York Yankees type franchise. They are always going to be a big draw.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-20, 16:36

steveschneider wrote:
HT wrote:

ND is like a Dallas cowboys or New York Yankees type franchise. They are always going to be a big draw.

I turn the channel anytime either of those teams are playing. I really don't understand Dallas at all. I already don't like Baseball all that much, but watching the Yankees somehow makes it worse for me.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-20, 16:38

Could religion dying correlate with ND going down too?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-20, 16:47

Turtleneck wrote:ND belongs in the GLIAC not the Big Ten. Fuck ND.

This might be our first disagreement. Let's not go to bed angry.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-20, 16:54

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:ND belongs in the GLIAC not the Big Ten. Fuck ND.

I would rather add Iowa State or Colorado School of Mines.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-07-20, 16:58

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

It's going to be a long night.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-20, 17:01

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I turn the channel anytime either of those teams are playing. I really don't understand Dallas at all. I already don't like Baseball all that much, but watching the Yankees somehow makes it worse for me.

I can't stand all three of them, but all three have casual fans all around the country that grew up liking them they also have an extreme group of haters that will pay to see their team have a shot at beating them. Whenever they play somewhere it's always a big deal, and it draws people and ratings.

If ND was playing MSU this year it would be a big game, even our student section would fill up more for that game.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-20, 19:06

I've been in the NO playoff camp for independent ND from day one.  How they hoodwinked the powers into special status is beyond belief.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-20, 19:51

Floyd Robertson wrote:I've been in the NO playoff camp for independent ND from day one.  How they hoodwinked the powers into special status is beyond belief.

They're like the spoiled kid who only has power because his/her parents keep giving it to them. If the Power 5 told ND that they weren't in, then ND would have no choice other than to join a conference or become irrelevant.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-20, 20:34

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It's going to be a long night.  

I agree that they should get no special treatment when it comes to the playoff. It is their choice to be independent. However, at the same time, it is unfortunate that schools are punished for not wanting to be a part of a conference. But that is another story.

Overall, I do not want ND in the Big Ten. Behind the scenes, ND would be noting but headaches. It would be like the actor in our favorite TV show that seems so likable but actually spends their entire time on set yelling at people and throwing temper tantrums (when they do not get exactly what they want). ND has no respect for the Big 10, would place ridiculous demands on the conference as a part of any membership arrangement, and would always expect preferential treatment from the conference.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-20, 21:10

Turtleneck wrote:Overall, I do not want ND in the Big Ten. Behind the scenes, ND would be noting but headaches.
I'd like ND behind the scenes because they know how to give Michigan crap (ending the ND-UM series without a note before the game was classic) and would balance out the unfair favoritism that goes on toward scUM by Delany and crew.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-20, 21:17

Giant Moose wrote:would balance out the unfair favoritism that goes on toward scUM by Delany and crew.

Yes, the favoritism would be balanced out. Instead of two of 14 members (UM and OSU) getting their asses constantly kissed, it would be three of 15. Very balanced.

I think it would be best to add schools that actually respect the Big 10 and would really appreciate the opportunity to participate in the Big Ten.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-20, 21:23

Turtleneck wrote:I think it would be best to add schools that actually respect the Big 10 and would really appreciate the opportunity to participate in the Big Ten.
I think Notre Dame does respect the Big Ten given that it has had long relationships with MSU and Purdue and has played the B1G more than any other conference.

They just didn't want to ever join a conference unless one was stupid enough to give into their demands like the ACC was.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-20, 23:44

Giant Moose wrote:@McMurphyESPN
Gary Pinkel said no independents in @CFBPlayoff. “Give Notre Dame year to join a league. They don’t have independents in NFL"

Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel made this comment today, and I agree with him. I like Notre Dame in general, but this independent crap and giving them special treatment should end now that we are in this new era.

His point makes sense.

The basis for having OSU jump Baylor and TCU was that they didn't play a conference championship game. If ND doesn't play a conference championship game then they shouldn't get into the playoffs.

Unfortunately, cfb doesn't work like that. ND is a huge draw for ratings and $$$ so I'm betting the selection committee would make an exception for ND.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-07-20, 23:53

steveschneider wrote:

His point makes sense.

The basis for having OSU jump Baylor and TCU was that they didn't play a conference championship game. If ND doesn't play a conference championship game then they shouldn't get into the playoffs.

Unfortunately, cfb doesn't work like that. ND is a huge draw for ratings and $$$ so I'm betting the selection committee would make an exception for ND.

The committee didn't give FSU the #1 seed even though it was undefeated and had the best record of the playoff contenders. I actually think they'd be pretty fair and not just get ND in because of its name and record.

I was a bit skeptical, but I think the four most deserving teams got in last year. I think they'll be able to handle it if ND ever makes it to playoff contention (which, I don't in the foreseeable future).
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-07-21, 12:01

HT wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

His point makes sense.

The committee didn't give FSU the #1 seed even though it was undefeated and had the best record of the playoff contenders. I actually think they'd be pretty fair and not just get ND in because of its name and record.

I was a bit skeptical, but I think the four most deserving teams got in last year. I think they'll be able to handle it if ND ever makes it to playoff contention (which, I don't in the foreseeable future).

I thought TCU got hosed big time and after the dust settled they were easily the second best team in the country. Might have beaten OSU as well.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ingenious Gentleman 2015-07-30, 16:06

steveschneider wrote:

His point makes sense.

I just happened to stumble over to espn.com for the first time in months, and after seeing the same article quoted in the OP, I was going to start a thread with this same thought.

Congrats on a working search function.Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration? 1486952199 Why don't the power conferences boot Notre Dame from playoff consideration? 1486952199

But I completely agree. The only reason Baylor or TCU didn't make the CFP is because they were only co-champions; the committee actually said that. Yet Notre Dame not even being in a conference...all good.

The fact is it's not going to change," Hancock said. "The conferences all have reasons for scheduling and deciding their champions the way they do. It's important to each one of them.

"Frankly, in the committee room, it wasn't a factor. The committee has the luxury of looking at the full body of work from an entire season -- 12 or 13 games -- for each team, irrespective of what conference they're in. Having been in the committee room, I can tell you, it's just not a factor."

The hypocrisy is palpable.
The Ingenious Gentleman
The Ingenious Gentleman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down