Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids

+10
GRR Spartan
y2kMgrad
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
WhiteBoyHatcher
Giant Moose
Blanch32
The_Dude
Travis of the Cosmos
Floyd Robertson
14 posters

Go down

Article If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-07-24, 17:34

‘Thank You For Proving Me Wrong': Teen Visitor Gushes In Love Letter To Detroit

DETROIT (WWJ) – A teenage girl from North Carolina is getting some buzz online over a passionate love letter she wrote about a recent visit to Detroit.
Cassie Mattheis, who was in town last week with a gathering of 30,000 Lutheran youth, said in her blog that she was “expecting a city filled with broken dreams and shattered glass” and “devoid of life and hope” — but found something else.

“I had this picture painted for me of Detroit,” she told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Sandra McNeill. “People were like: ‘Detroit? Really? You’re gonna get shot, so have fun.’ And I was picturing something completely the opposite of what I saw.”

Dear Detroit,
My name is Cassie and I'm from a small town in North Carolina, where our largest building is Wal-Mart. I have always wanted to experience life in a big city, and you did not disappoint, but rather exceeded my expectations. You see, I was expecting a city filled with broken dreams and shattered glass, a city devoid of life and hope. I expected a scene of desolation against the backdrop of a dead city.

But you are not dead. You are so very much alive. You destroyed all of my preconceptions the minute I set foot on your gorgeous riverwalk and was exposed to the cultural diversity and breathtaking views you offered me. I saw the opposite of what I expected; I saw bike riders and people reading books and children playing in the fountain. I saw so much life, even after mere minutes of being there. And that first night, my group ventured into Greektown, and Monroe became my favorite street in all of a minute. It was still daylight out, but the criss-crossing lights that hung above the street had me hooked at first glance. I was entertained and enamored by your people, your mannerisms, and your atmosphere. (Not to mention the food, which is absolutely delectable).

Over the week, I saw your bad side. (the area around 8-mile road was pretty sketchy). I saw your homeless, your penniless, your dirty and your somewhat terrifying drunk Tigers fans. I saw your houses adorned with neon yellow signs that read, "Will Demolish". But I also saw your beauty. I saw your culture. I saw your parks. I saw your police; on boats, cars, horses, and bicycles. I saw your sports. I saw your riverwalk. I heard your music. I saw your street drummers and the guy playing the trumpet in Greektown. I saw your public buses, your taxis, your people mover. I saw your graffiti and your mosaics. I saw your alleys and your crosswalks. I saw Astoria Pastry Shop every single night I was there. I saw your stunning architecture and I ate your food. We rapped with a car full of your people as they drove beside us on our walk back to our hotel one night. I saw one of your artists sketching on a street corner and my dad bought me a rose from one of your people selling flowers on Monroe. I saw your Times Square and your Broadway. I heard your concerts and experienced your weather. I felt your rain, your breezes, and your sunshine. I sang in your streets and weeded your flowerbeds. I talked to your citizens. I heard your spoken word and the testimony of those who belong to you. I served and worshipped and learned and laughed in your city. And I fell in love with it.

I saw your life. I saw your hope and your future, but I also saw your present and it is so far from dead. I want to bring every single person who said to me, "Detroit? Why are you going there? So you can get shot?" and I want to show them the Detroit I got to see because there are a million reasons to see everything you showed me.

I came to see your for the first time as one in 30,000 teenagers. We all blended together for you, I'm sure,with our brightly colored tee-shirts, inordinate amounts of cheerfulness, backpacks and water bottles, not to mention the fact that we all seemed to know each other. You may have tired of our endless happiness, constant singing, or our multitude of high-fives and clothespins. Perhaps by the end of the week, you were ready to back to being "too-cool-for-you hipster" and leave the Disneyland vibe behind. You may have been ready to have your streets back at night, and not packed with teens singing the National Anthem for no reason at all. I'm sure your restaurants were ready to return to normal dinner crowds instead of being overcrowded by people clad in neon orange.

But I want to say thank you. Thank you a million times for putting up with the ELCA Youth Gathering 2015, because it wouldn't have been the same without you. Thank you for proving me wrong, and for showing me just how alive and vibrant and wonderful you really are.

I love you, Detroit.
Until Next Time,
Cassie
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Article Re: If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-07-24, 17:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:‘Thank You For Proving Me Wrong': Teen Visitor Gushes In Love Letter To Detroit

DETROIT (WWJ) – A teenage girl from North Carolina is getting some buzz online over a passionate love letter she wrote about a recent visit to Detroit.
Cassie Mattheis, who was in town last week with a gathering of 30,000 Lutheran youth, said in her blog that she was “expecting a city filled with broken dreams and shattered glass” and “devoid of life and hope” — but found something else.

“I had this picture painted for me of Detroit,” she told WWJ Newsradio 950’s Sandra McNeill. “People were like: ‘Detroit? Really? You’re gonna get shot, so have fun.’ And I was picturing something completely the opposite of what I saw.”

[size=45]Dear Detroit, [/size]
[size=45]My name is Cassie and I'm from a small town in North Carolina, where our largest building is Wal-Mart. I have always wanted to experience life in a big city, and you did not disappoint, but rather exceeded my expectations. You see, I was expecting a city filled with broken dreams and shattered glass, a city devoid of life and hope. I expected a scene of desolation against the backdrop of a dead city.

[/size]
[size=45]But you are not dead. You are so very much alive. You destroyed all of my preconceptions the minute I set foot on your gorgeous riverwalk and was exposed to the cultural diversity and breathtaking views you offered me. I saw the opposite of what I expected; I saw bike riders and people reading books and children playing in the fountain. I saw so much life, even after mere minutes of being there. And that first night, my group ventured into Greektown, and Monroe became my favorite street in all of a minute. It was still daylight out, but the criss-crossing lights that hung above the street had me hooked at first glance. I was entertained and enamored by your people, your mannerisms, and your atmosphere. (Not to mention the food, which is absolutely delectable).

[/size]
[size=45]Over the week, I saw your bad side. (the area around 8-mile road was pretty sketchy). I saw your homeless, your penniless, your dirty and your somewhat terrifying drunk Tigers fans. I saw your houses adorned with neon yellow signs that read, "Will Demolish". But I also saw your beauty. I saw your culture. I saw your parks. I saw your police; on boats, cars, horses, and bicycles. I saw your sports. I saw your riverwalk. I heard your music. I saw your street drummers and the guy playing the trumpet in Greektown. I saw your public buses, your taxis, your people mover. I saw your graffiti and your mosaics. I saw your alleys and your crosswalks. I saw Astoria Pastry Shop every single night I was there. I saw your stunning architecture and I ate your food. We rapped with a car full of your people as they drove beside us on our walk back to our hotel one night. I saw one of your artists sketching on a street corner and my dad bought me a rose from one of your people selling flowers on Monroe. I saw your Times Square and your Broadway. I heard your concerts and experienced your weather. I felt your rain, your breezes, and your sunshine. I sang in your streets and weeded your flowerbeds. I talked to your citizens. I heard your spoken word and the testimony of those who belong to you. I served and worshipped and learned and laughed in your city. And I fell in love with it.

[/size]
[size=45]I saw your life. I saw your hope and your future, but I also saw your present and it is so far from dead. I want to bring every single person who said to me, "Detroit? Why are you going there? So you can get shot?" and I want to show them the Detroit I got to see because there are a million reasons to see everything you showed me.
[/size]
[size=45]I came to see your for the first time as one in 30,000 teenagers. We all blended together for you, I'm sure,with our brightly colored tee-shirts, inordinate amounts of cheerfulness, backpacks and water bottles, not to mention the fact that we all seemed to know each other. You may have tired of our endless happiness, constant singing, or our multitude of high-fives and clothespins. Perhaps by the end of the week, you were ready to back to being "too-cool-for-you hipster" and leave the Disneyland vibe behind. You may have been ready to have your streets back at night, and not packed with teens singing the National Anthem for no reason at all. I'm sure your restaurants were ready to return to normal dinner crowds instead of being overcrowded by people clad in neon orange.

[/size]
[size=45]But I want to say thank you. Thank you a million times for putting up with the ELCA Youth Gathering 2015, because it wouldn't have been the same without you. Thank you for proving me wrong, and for showing me just how alive and vibrant and wonderful you really are.

[/size]
[size=45]I love you, Detroit. [/size]
[size=45]Until Next Time, [/size]
[size=45]Cassie[/size]
That bolded part sounds horrifyingly annoying.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-07-24, 17:42

flower
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-07-24, 18:54

It's true. The nation wants Detroit to be dead so that they can laugh and feel good about themselves. Instead its not happening and it makes their true misery enraged
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-24, 19:40

Blanch32 wrote:It's true. The nation wants Detroit to be dead so that they can laugh and feel good about themselves. Instead its not happening and it makes their true misery enraged
I don't think people want Detroit to be dead. They just assume it's dead because it's had a very rough ~50 years.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-07-24, 19:42

Hey, I have an idea. Let's turn this into a blanch and Moose Midwest/Michigan-shitting thread. We haven't had one of those in like a week. Is Nucky back from Antarctica yet to weigh in?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-24, 20:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Hey, I have an idea. Let's turn this into a blanch and Moose Midwest/Michigan-shitting thread. We haven't had one of those in like a week. Is Nucky back from Antarctica yet to weigh in?
Nothing wrong with certain parts of the Midwest. Chicago and Minneapolis are great places.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-26, 07:45

Detroit > Grand Rapids
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-07-26, 10:06

I love Detroit.

Don't fear Detroit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-07-26, 11:31

She called out the drunk angry Tigers fans. If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids 502811600
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-07-26, 11:40

Grand Rapids, the biggest little town in Michigan.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-07-26, 11:51

GRR Spartan wrote:Grand Rapids, the biggest little town in Michigan.

Where the people are so fake they might actually be made of plastic.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-07-26, 12:15

Turtleneck wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Grand Rapids, the biggest little town in Michigan.

Where the people are so fake they might actually be made of plastic.

Come on. After coming back so my kids could be nearer to their grandparents 19 years ago everyone I've met has always been friendly...........to my face.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-07-26, 14:30

30,000 teens? Fobin must have gassed up the puppy/candy van for a good ol road-trip that week.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-07-27, 09:02

Too bad they weren't visiting this week. They could have seen the Satanic Temple put up a statue in Detroit.

Satanic sculpture in Detroit
"The last thing we need in Detroit is having a welcome home party for evil," said Reverend Dave Bullock, a pastor at Greater St. Matthew Baptist Church in Highland Park, Michigan.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-27, 09:06

InTenSity wrote:Too bad they weren't visiting this week. They could have seen the Satanic Temple put up a statue in Detroit.

Satanic sculpture in Detroit
"The last thing we need in Detroit is having a welcome home party for evil," said Reverend Dave Bullock, a pastor at Greater St. Matthew Baptist Church in Highland Park, Michigan.
Didn't Devil's Night start in Detroit?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-27, 09:07

That's a cool looking statue. I'm going to pray for it.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-27, 09:14

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:That's a cool looking statue. I'm going to pray for it.
I am going to start a protest at the evil Magic Johnson statue since it uses a similar two-finger pointing gesture.

If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids Screen-Shot-2014-05-01-at-1-28-03-PM

If Only She Had Gone To Grand Rapids 455872515_cd197e4125_b
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-07-27, 09:32

How the hell did Magic's face on that statue get approved? Seriously?

I know this is a dead horse, but WTF?! Older guys, help me out. Has MSU ever acknowledged it?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ingenious Gentleman 2015-07-27, 09:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:How the hell did Magic's face on that statue get approved? Seriously?

I know this is a dead horse, but WTF?! Older guys, help me out. Has MSU ever acknowledged it?

The MSU Board of Trustees approved every step of the process through a majority vote, from the base all the way up. When the sculptor finished with the head of the statue, it was again voted on and passed with a 6-2 vote, with Joel Ferguson and Diann Woodard the only two voting "nay." When asked publicly about the statue looking more like Morgan Freeman rather than Magic, Mitch Lyons and Brian Breslin were overheard saying "How the hell can anyone tell the difference? They all look alike."
The Ingenious Gentleman
The Ingenious Gentleman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-07-27, 10:22

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:How the hell did Magic's face on that statue get approved? Seriously?

MSU knows but would never come out publicly and say it because it would hurt Magic's feelings because he is the reason it looks the way it does.

MSU wanted to have a statue with Magic's trademark smile. However, Magic requested that it have a serious look on it instead. According to Magic, he very rarely smiled when he was actually playing. Since it's a statue of him in game-action, Magic's request was honored.

This is confirmed in Seth Davis' book When March Went Mad.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down