Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what's up with people that don't use cruise control?

+15
Herbie Green
tTito
Tim Wakefield
HT
kingstonlake
Rocinante
y2kMgrad
Cameron
SpartanInNH
xsanguine
InTenSity
The Pantry
DWags
Floyd Robertson
CORNER BLITZ
19 posters

Go down

what's up with people that don't use cruise control?  Empty what's up with people that don't use cruise control?

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-01, 18:31

It's so easy and convenient, what's the deal with not using it?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

what's up with people that don't use cruise control?  Empty Re: what's up with people that don't use cruise control?

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-08-01, 18:34

CORNER BLITZ wrote:It's so easy and convenient, what's the deal with not using it?

You're probably talking about the same people that can't figure out how to use their turn signals.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

what's up with people that don't use cruise control?  Empty Re: what's up with people that don't use cruise control?

Post by DWags 2015-08-01, 18:52

If you're Using Cruise and you're passing a car and your cruise is on 74 and I come up on your ass at 85, please consider my feelings and use the gas pedal for the smallest amount of time to speed up and pass the car you'e been passing for the last quarter mile a bit faster so Ican move on.  Thanks for considering the rest of us.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-01, 18:57

Have never been a big fan of cruise. Like to keep my foot on the gas. Something about paying attention to the throttle also makes me more attentive to the brakes and occasional downshifting.

About the only time I use cruise is when passing through areas where median turnarounds are in the trees. Keep it set at 76 on I-75 in MI.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-08-01, 19:02

When my wife bought her car, she lived about 2 miles from her work. Her uncle said she didn't need it. I drive that car now and on long trips hate that there isn't cruise.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-01, 19:25

DWags wrote:If you're Using Cruise and you're passing a car and your cruise is on 74 and I come up on your ass at 85, please consider my feelings and use the gas pedal for the smallest amount of time to speed up and pass the car you'e been passing for the last quarter mile a bit faster so Ican move on.  Thanks for considering the rest of us.

If the rest of you could just pass me and then stay in front that would be cool. Instead you pass at 86, then slow down to 73, then back to 80, and again back to 70... just use your cruise
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-08-01, 20:32

I didn't use it when traveling upstate because of all the mountains... I hear cruise control used in those areas fucks with your shit?

And by shit I mean something having to do with the car...

I'm usually riding dirty, anyways, so I'm typically in the right lane 2-3mph under the speed limit and not annoying you speedy fucks. afro
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-01, 20:34

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
DWags wrote:If you're Using Cruise and you're passing a car and your cruise is on 74 and I come up on your ass at 85, please consider my feelings and use the gas pedal for the smallest amount of time to speed up and pass the car you'e been passing for the last quarter mile a bit faster so Ican move on.  Thanks for considering the rest of us.

If the rest of you could just pass me and then stay in front that would be cool. Instead you pass at 86, then slow down to 73, then back to 80, and again back to 70... just use your cruise

I only slow down to 73 if I'm texting or mixing myself a drink.   I seriously can't stand the idiots who are using cruise at 74, and are passing somebody for a quarter mile and don't realize (or maybe they do) that they can use their gas for a second pass the guy up, pull in front and let those of us who want to break the law at a higher rate by.   They refuse to go anywhere except on their cruise. 74 and fuck you to everyone behind me while I pass this guy for a quarter mile or more.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-01, 20:38

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Yeah, they're a PITA.

But, have you ever sorta hooked-up with another driver on the freeway?  They are driving the same speed and way you are?  Using turn signals and smoothly mixing into the passing lane at the appropriate opening without causing anyone to brake, then moving safely back to the right lane to let idiots speed past?  Flash your lights to let them know they can safely change lanes in front of you?  Sometimes play leap frog with them until traffic opens up and one of you is either in the lead or following at a safe distance?

I look for people driving similar to the way I do.  Kinda cool because I think we learn to respect each other's driving tendencies from observation.  You get to understand that both of you drive with courtesy and neither will do anything stupid, all while making the best time (without ticket) and safely get wherever both of you are going while paired on the road.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-08-01, 20:39

CORNER BLITZ wrote:It's so easy and convenient, what's the deal with not using it?

They're assholes who would rather slow down traffic with their grimly determined personal control of the vehicle's speed, which varies with their attention to the road.

My two cents, perhaps colored by the time I've spent on a heavily-traveled two-lane highway in the White Mountains today.

Assholes.
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-08-01, 20:53

The Pantry wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Yeah, they're a PITA.

But, have you ever sorta hooked-up with another driver on the freeway?  They are driving the same speed and way you are?  Using turn signals and smoothly mixing into the passing lane at the appropriate opening without causing anyone to brake, then moving safely back to the right lane to let idiots speed past?  Flash your lights to let them know they can safely change lanes in front of you?  Sometimes play leap frog with them until traffic opens up and one of you is either in the lead or following at a safe distance?

I look for people driving similar to the way I do.  Kinda cool because I think we learn to respect each other's driving tendencies from observation.  You get to understand that both of you drive with courtesy and neither will do anything stupid, all while making the best time (without ticket) and safely get wherever both of you are going while paired on the road.

Do you give the guy a reacharound while all of this is happening?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-08-01, 20:57

Cameron wrote:
The Pantry wrote:
Yeah, they're a PITA.

Do you give the guy a reacharound while all of this is happening?
It's sort of a mutual reacharound, but without any actual palm to dick contact.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-08-01, 23:33

Never use cruise. I'd rather drive my car.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-02, 00:32

If it's the speed limit, why do cars go faster than it?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-02, 00:36

Rocinante wrote:If it's the speed limit, why do cars go faster than it?

I do because I want to get there faster. Can't speak for the rest.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-08-02, 00:42

DWags wrote:
Rocinante wrote:If it's the speed limit, why do cars go faster than it?

No I mean why don't they just make cars that don't go faster than the speed limit? I mean it's the limit, right?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-08-02, 07:44

My biggest pet peeve is getting out of the fast lane to let the 82mph guy get by. But instead of increasing speed so I don't have to hit my brakes while coming up on the guy in the center lane, he keeps on at 82 making me get off the cruise. Speed up dip stick to return the favor.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-08-02, 08:23

Cruise is good for long trips on highways. Otherwise, I guess I just feel more comfortable not using cruise control when I'm on relatively short drives or on drives that have a lot of stops and turns.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-08-02, 08:25

HT wrote:Cruise is good for long trips on highways. Otherwise, I guess I just feel more comfortable not using cruise control when I'm on relatively short drives or on drives that have a lot of stops and turns.

Mind blowing observation right there..........
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-08-02, 08:27

kingstonlake wrote:
HT wrote:Cruise is good for long trips on highways. Otherwise, I guess I just feel more comfortable not using cruise control when I'm on relatively short drives or on drives that have a lot of stops and turns.

Mind blowing observation right there..........

I'm a real renaissance man.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-08-02, 08:58

Does cruise save on gas? The only long trips we ever really take is when we go to Ann Arbor. If it could save me on gas I might give it a shot. Don't think I'd like not having my foot on a pedal but who knows.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-08-02, 09:31

Rocinante wrote:
DWags wrote:

No I mean why don't they just make cars that don't go faster than the speed limit? I mean it's the limit, right?
I think it's a safety thing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-08-02, 10:08

I drove all the way to Madison without cruise a couple years ago. It was awful
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2015-08-02, 10:34

Ever notice that the population in general is getting dumber and dumber all the time? Dumb people don't bother with things like birth control. They are supported by tax dollars. We're paying them to reproduce. Reverse Darwinism is in full swing.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-08-02, 10:52

I have used cruise since I was 16. Made sure it was the only extra feature on my first car. I find the idea of not maintaining a consistent speed incredibly annoying. I will completely change my setting from like 76 to 71 when some jerkoff starts playing leap frog. Stay away from me ahole, if I see you one more $!#/^&* time I am going to run your ass of the road.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2015-08-02, 11:51

tTito wrote:Ever notice that the population in general is getting dumber and dumber all the time? Dumb people don't bother with things like birth control. They are supported by tax dollars. We're paying them to reproduce. Reverse Darwinism is in full swing.

what's up with people that don't use cruise control?  PALIN_CPAC-2013_003
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ingenious Gentleman 2015-08-02, 13:51

I don't get the people that drive 85. You'll get to your destination sooner by what, 20 minutes if you are going a long distance? But all the while you are burning more gas and are exposing yourself to a higher potential for a speeding ticket, as well as being in an accident.

Is 20 minutes worth putting your license, wallet, insurance premiums, and life of yourself and your family at risk?
The Ingenious Gentleman
The Ingenious Gentleman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ingenious Gentleman 2015-08-02, 13:52

tTito wrote:Ever notice that the population in general is getting dumber and dumber all the time? Dumb people don't bother with things like birth control. They are supported by tax dollars. We're paying them to reproduce. Reverse Darwinism is in full swing.

It's getting dumber and smarter at the same time. Crazy concept, huh?
The Ingenious Gentleman
The Ingenious Gentleman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-08-02, 14:41

Tim Wakefield wrote:I drove all the way to Madison without cruise a couple years ago. It was awful

Fun trip though. Loved that Subaru.

I don't have cruise in my car, but it really only sucks on long trips. NY for the Louisville tourney game was rough, but we split driving time anyway.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-08-02, 18:34

y2kMgrad wrote:Does cruise save on gas? The only long trips we ever really take is when we go to Ann Arbor. If it could save me on gas I might give it a shot. Don't think I'd like not having my foot on a pedal but who knows.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2015-08-03, 08:35

The Ingenious Gentleman wrote:I don't get the people that drive 85. You'll get to your destination sooner by what, 20 minutes if you are going a long distance? But all the while you are burning more gas and are exposing yourself to a higher potential for a speeding ticket, as well as being in an accident.

Is 20 minutes worth putting your license, wallet, insurance premiums, and life of yourself and your family at risk?

I don't get it either, especially if the trip is relatively short. They'll go 80-85 the whole way and get there 2 minutes faster.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nommad2 2015-08-03, 12:41

I have an 05 Escape that had the cruise go out about 2 years ago. Cost to fix - $800 Shocked So as much as I love the CC, I'm not forking out that kind of dough for it.

Motto of the story - don't buy Ford cars.
Nommad2
Nommad2
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down