Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate

+15
DWags
HT
GRR Spartan
NigelUno
Travis of the Cosmos
Death Roe
SpartanInNH
Herbie Green
By-Tor
Turtleneck
Snake Plissken
InTenSity
steveschneider
Blanch32
tGreenWay
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate Empty ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate

Post by tGreenWay Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 14:08

I'll link to the Deadspin article that cites the Mothership story, and there's a link to the full piece. Belichik is a cheating motherfucker.

http://deadspin.com/bombshell-espn-report-the-patriots-were-huge-cheaters-1729286402?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate Empty Re: ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate

Post by Blanch32 Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:02

Goodall with a massive out of control ego?? No way!!!
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate Empty Re: ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate

Post by steveschneider Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:05

Everyone loves ripping Goodell, but I'm sure being the commissioner of that sport is a nightmare. Have to please the owners, the players and the fans. Good luck with that!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:18

steveschneider wrote:Everyone loves ripping Goodell, but I'm sure being the commissioner of that sport is a nightmare. Have to please the owners, the players and the fans. Good luck with that!
Dude makes 25 million or so a year. Only one he had to keep happy is the owners.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:29

tGreenWay wrote:Belichik is a cheating motherfucker.
Was there ever any doubt?
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:32

So how hard does the NCAA punish Boston College?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:34

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Everyone loves ripping Goodell, but I'm sure being the commissioner of that sport is a nightmare. Have to please the owners, the players and the fans. Good luck with that!
Dude makes 25 million or so a year. Only one he had to keep happy is the owners.

I'm sure dealing with the owners is a frigging nightmare.. For $25 mill we'd all do it, but I bet it sucks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:48

So the NFL was behind deflate gate to make it seem like they were coming down hard on the Patriots to appease the other owners around the league. A makeup for spy gate. Article made it seem like the NFL told Brady to destroy his phone. Brady, the NFL and the Pats knew all along that he was never going to miss any games this year. The suspension was just a show for the rest of the league. Goodell thought if he lost the case in court that he could not be blamed. "hey guys, I really tried suspending him but the courts said I couldn't". NFL is phony as hell.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 16:53

steveschneider wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

I'm sure dealing with the owners is a frigging nightmare.. For $25 mill we'd all do it, but I bet it sucks.
sucks? Umm for 25M a year I'd likely suck every owners dick on Sundays if asked. No homo.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 18:56

Is this going to go away, or is there something here? Does not seem to be getting much play but seems like a big deal.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 19:40

I wish I had followed the lead and read the Deadspin article instead of trying to read the ESPN story. Holy hell was that long. The story is very compelling - but I had long ago reached the point of being completely sick of the deflate gate story as I imagine most people are. Now that there is a real story it goes back to 15 years ago so I doubt many people will still care.
The one part about the story that sounds far fetched is stealing the play sheets. So all these teams have their play sheets laying out on a table in the lockeroom unguarded so a janitor could just walk in and take them?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 20:11

I never got how stealing signals was cheating.   Or is it only cheating in football?  It's a time honored tradition in baseball that you're going to try and steal the other team's signals.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 20:12

LooseGoose wrote:I never got how stealing signals was cheating.   Or is it only cheating in football?  It's a time honored tradition in baseball that you're going to try and steal the other team's signals.

Can't let one team do it but not the other
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 20:33

Blanch32 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I never got how stealing signals was cheating.   Or is it only cheating in football?  It's a time honored tradition in baseball that you're going to try and steal the other team's signals.

Can't let one team do it but not the other
Why weren't the other teams trying?   Their fault they didn't think of it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 20:49

"Ballghazi." ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate 502811600
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 20:51

Goodell actually made $40 million last year. Yeah.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:05

It's also cheating in baseball. Not sure where you get the "time honored tradition" thing from. Yeah, they do it, but it's against the rules and if they get caught (somehow) they will be in trubs.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:11

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

It's also cheating in baseball. Not sure where you get the "time honored tradition" thing from. Yeah, they do it, but it's against the rules and if they get caught (somehow) they will be in trubs.
It is?   Honest to god I've been a huge baseball fan for nearly 50 years and never heard that stealing signs was against the rules in baseball.   Gotta go look now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:13

Nope.

1st google result.

Fair or foul? Sign-stealing is part of the game

It's as old as stitches on a baseball or grass on an outfield.
As long as catchers have been putting down fingers to signal to pitchers what they should throw, other teams have been trying to steal those signs and tip off their hitters to what's coming.
Nowhere in baseball's rulebook will you find anything prohibiting sign-stealing, although most casual observers figure the spirit of sportsmanship and the unwritten "Code" of the big leagues should say it's a big no-no.
But is it?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:14

LooseGoose wrote:

It is?   Honest to god I've been a huge baseball fan for nearly 50 years and never heard that stealing signs was against the rules in baseball.   Gotta go look now.

A year or two ago Chris sale got all in a tussy thinking that VMart had a guy in the outfield with binoculars trying to steal signs and relay them. There was of course no way to prove that, so nothing happened, but it's for sure against the rules.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:17

LooseGoose wrote:

Nope.

1st google result.

It's as old as stitches on a baseball or grass on an outfield.
As long as catchers have been putting down fingers to signal to pitchers what they should throw, other teams have been trying to steal those signs and tip off their hitters to what's coming.
Nowhere in baseball's rulebook will you find anything prohibiting sign-stealing, although most casual observers figure the spirit of sportsmanship and the unwritten "Code" of the big leagues should say it's a big no-no.
But is it?

Oh one of those silly it's not really against the rules but if you do it no one will like you things in baseball.

Heres that one time chris sale got all sad
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:38

LooseGoose wrote:

A year or two ago Chris sale got all in a tussy thinking that VMart had a guy in the outfield with binoculars trying to steal signs and relay them. There was of course no way to prove that, so nothing happened, but it's for sure against the rules.

You can't do that (Binoculars), but a baserunner can try and steal signs and tip off the batter. Or teams can try and figure out steal signs, or bunt signs.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:41

LooseGoose wrote:
Nope.

1st google result.

Oh one of those silly it's not really against the rules but if you do it no one will like you things in baseball.
I wouldn't argue that people get pissy about it, but to some extent all teams do it.  Whether it's trying to determine the "steal" sign or trying to relay the catcher's pitch call from 2nd base to the batter.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:42

NigelUno wrote:

You can't do that (Binoculars), but a baserunner can try and steal signs and tip off the batter.  Or teams can try and figure out steal signs, or bunt signs.  
And that's probably the difference in "spygate" the use of artificial aids.  The filming, etc.  Had they just tried to "steal" the signs during the game it would have been ok.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 21:43

LooseGoose wrote:
I wouldn't argue that people get pissy about it, but to some extent all teams do it.  Whether it's trying to determine the "steal" sign or trying to relay the catcher's pitch call from 2nd base to the batter.

Got it... Nigels probably right about the binoculars thing and I just assumed the rule covered all of it. My bads
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:01

LooseGoose wrote:

Got it... Nigels probably right about the binoculars thing and I just assumed the rule covered all of it. My bads

I hope you get perma banned?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:02

Turtleneck wrote:

I hope you get perma banned?

Are you trying to start an internet fight with me turtle? Because I swear to God I will post 3 times in response to you before I get bored and stop.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:17

You're ruining this board Travis.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:21

Turtleneck wrote:You're ruining this board Travis.

Fine I quit forever
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:24

Please don't go. I love you. I can't post without you.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue 8 Sep 2015 - 22:28

Goodell is the ultimate insider. He got himself hired as an intern for the NFL offices in '82, a year after graduating from college, spent '83 with the Jets as an intern and got himself hired back into the NFL offices in '84. He has known most owners for decades before he was elected commissioner.

Has he shown deference to Bob Kraft for buying the struggling Patriot franchise and keeping them in New England? Probably and he knows the Patriots have had great national TV ratings for years.

The Patriots generate a lot of income for the league. In the big scheme Goodell knows outside of MI's lower peninsula no one gives a shit about the Lions but if the Patriots, Packers or Cowboys play Thursday Night, Monday Night a late nationally televised game the ratings will be strong. Add in the fact Bob Kraft has always had his back and I can see Goodell's desire for income being greater than his desire to hammer the Patriots for a long time.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 1:21

gHost Spartan wrote:Earlier today at lunch I read part of the ESPN article and from what I recall the Pats had literally an entire room filled with signals, film, spreadsheets, etc. on every single team in the league. It was a pretty comprehensive not just a random film guy stealing a few signals here and there.
Do you know if there is/was a rule specifically against stealing signs?  If not, I don't see the problem with an attempt to gain a competitive advantage.    The Patriots should have been free to decide what level of resources to allocate to it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 7:39

Goodell and Kraft are buddies outside of the league. I'm not really surprised that he did his friend a solid by covering up most of the Patriots' cheating.

But this solidifies more and more for me, that the NFL is a sham and that you can't trust sports commissioners like Jim Delany.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 7:44

LooseGoose wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:Earlier today at lunch I read part of the ESPN article and from what I recall the Pats had literally an entire room filled with signals, film, spreadsheets, etc. on every single team in the league. It was a pretty comprehensive not just a random film guy stealing a few signals here and there.
Do you know if there is/was a rule specifically against stealing signs?  If not, I don't see the problem with an attempt to gain a competitive advantage.    The Patriots should have been free to decide what level of resources to allocate to it.

They were videotaping signs. You can't do that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 7:59

Patriots have a tainted dynasty and I can not wait until their era of dominance is over. Fuck Brady, belichick and Kraft.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 10:30

steveschneider wrote:Patriots have a tainted dynasty and I can not wait until their era of dominance is over. Fuck Brady, belichick and Kraft.

Heh.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 9 Sep 2015 - 11:22

HT wrote:Goodell and Kraft are buddies outside of the league. I'm not really surprised that he did his friend a solid by covering up most of the Patriots' cheating.

But this solidifies more and more for me, that the NFL is a sham and that you can't trust sports commissioners like Jim Delany.

Makes me wonder about that PI call that got reversed against Dallas. Lions got hosed!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun 15 Dec 2019 - 22:20

They’re still cheating...
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 15 Dec 2019 - 22:34

What ever came about with the kraft and hookers thing?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun 15 Dec 2019 - 22:36

DWags wrote:What ever came about with the kraft and hookers thing?

He was at the White House last week ESPN: Goodell covered up most of the Patriots' cheating from Spygate 3003718628
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next