Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey computer geeks....

+10
StylesGShmooth
tGreenWay
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
The Pantry
Robert J Sakimano
GRR Spartan
InTenSity
Death Roe
tTy
14 posters

Go down

Hey computer geeks.... Empty Hey computer geeks....

Post by tTy 2015-11-03, 08:17

I just got a new laptop. I had Office on my old one, which still works, but it is getting dated. Is there a way to move it to my new lapper, or am I going to have to figure out how to steal it somehow?

Primarily just want Excel and Access.... Errything else can lick ma bawz...
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hey computer geeks.... Empty Re: Hey computer geeks....

Post by Death Roe 2015-11-03, 08:53

You'll have to subscribe to Office365 I believe. Maybe try connecting the two via USB and see if you can switch it over, which I highly doubt.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-11-03, 09:01

tTy wrote:I just got a new laptop. I had Office on my old one, which still works, but it is getting dated. Is there a way to move it to my new lapper, or am I going to have to figure out how to steal it somehow?

I have MS Office Professional 2013. How can I find out if it can be used on more than one computer? I'll send you the key if that's the case.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-11-03, 09:30

Check your messages
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-11-03, 09:59

Get OpenOffice.   I ditched MSOffice for it years ago.

Quit lining that fucking Bill Gate's pockets.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-03, 10:20

I'd suggest that take your 78ee Double-Mega-Giggawat disc-O-rama and have it interfaced with the Zeplar 2400wg (2009 model) and you'll have the Kevlar reinforced 45tU8M hertz Frizzle Frazzle Technotastic 80mg operating system.

that's what I did and I couldn't be more happy with my set up.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-11-03, 12:31

LooseGoose wrote:Get OpenOffice.   I ditched MSOffice for it years ago.

Not sure but doubt OO has an Access equivalent. If they do it's probably not fully compatible.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-11-03, 12:41

The Pantry wrote:

Not sure but doubt OO has an Access equivalent. If they do it's probably not fully compatible.

It has a Db that's supposed to be equivalent.  I don't know how compatible it is as I only use the spreadsheet and word processor.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-11-03, 12:44

Not a computer geek, but I did have to do this a couple of years ago. If you still have the disks and the key from when you bought it, then I think you should be able to. You may have to uninstall it from your previous laptop first, however. If you don't have the disks, I'm sure you can download the files somewhere. If you don't have the key, you might be able to find the key on your old laptop somewhere, or if you registered it, you may be able to get the key easily that way.

It's been 2-3 years since I did it, so I don't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure that a Google search provided a lot more detailed (and official) info, depending on which way you want to go.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-03, 13:08

Just buy a 3 ft.long m-to-m cable (get the most expensive from Best Buy--it's the best) and attach it to your new laptop. Then attach the other M end to the other new laptop you bought from BB that has office in it. It's kind of like scissor in for dudes, but it works. Your welcome.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-03, 13:10

tGreenWay wrote:Just buy a 3 ft.long m-to-m cable (get the most expensive from Best Buy--it's the best) and attach it to your new laptop. Then attach the other M end to the other new laptop you bought from BB that has office in it. It's kind of like scissor in for dudes, but it works. Your welcome.
seems like buying it at Best Buy would imply that it's the best buy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-11-03, 15:53

IF you just got a new windows laptop, you should be able to get Office 365 across all devices for a year free.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-11-03, 15:59

Rocinante wrote:IF you just got a new windows laptop, you should be able to get Office 365 across all devices for a year free.

Hey computer geeks.... Pusher
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-11-03, 16:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Just buy a 3 ft.long m-to-m cable (get the most expensive from Best Buy--it's the best) and attach it to your new laptop. Then attach the other M end to the other new laptop you bought from BB that has office in it. It's kind of like scissor in for dudes, but it works. Your welcome.

You'd think people would understand by now, but no. Buying the most expensive anything g at Best Buy is the best buy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2015-11-03, 19:42

If you still have the key, just uninstall on old and reinstall on new.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-01-07, 16:59

Work computer misery the last few days. Month-old Dell XPS (Windows 7) BSOD'd a couple times the first day things started going south. Started getting black screens of death (would just black out then try to reboot itself, which it could not without a hard boot) yesterday. Our IT guy got with Dell support and ran diagnostics overnight to no conclusion. Agreed they would run more diagnostics at a later time.

Thing black-screened a few times this morning, one time with me away from the desk. Became unusable so I left work early this afternoon.

Use to do IT at an old place. IT not part of my job at the current place...no admin rights. Told our IT guy I think it's the video card (AMD Radeon R9) when shit first started, because I had experienced similar issues with a Dell workstation years back. Shook his head "no" and said he needed to check error logs.

Admitted this morning he now thinks it's the graphics card, but Dell thinking it might be the MB and is dragging the issue out.

JMO but have never had good luck with AMD components (same with HP stuff, except for printers/plotters). One guy in the office has the same Dell XPS and runs the same software, except his has an equivalent nVidia graphics card. His runs perfectly.

AMD stuff may work okay for gamers, but is complete shit for solid modeling software.

I know: "Weird rant, nerd bro"

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2016-01-07, 17:18

If your files use custom VBA code, Open Office may not handle it correctly. Open Office should handle recorded macros OK, but custom VBA code can be problematic because some VBA APIs aren't natively supported in Open Office. However, if you don't use files with custom VBA code, then Open Office may work well enough for you.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-01-08, 19:35

The Pantry wrote:Work computer misery the last few days. Month-old Dell XPS (Windows 7) BSOD'd a couple times the first day things started going south. Started getting black screens of death (would just black out then try to reboot itself, which it could not without a hard boot) yesterday. Our IT guy got with Dell support and ran diagnostics overnight to no conclusion. Agreed they would run more diagnostics at a later time.

Thing black-screened a few times this morning, one time with me away from the desk. Became unusable so I left work early this afternoon.

Use to do IT at an old place. IT not part of my job at the current place...no admin rights. Told our IT guy I think it's the video card (AMD Radeon R9) when shit first started, because I had experienced similar issues with a Dell workstation years back. Shook his head "no" and said he needed to check error logs.

Admitted this morning he now thinks it's the graphics card, but Dell thinking it might be the MB and is dragging the issue out.

JMO but have never had good luck with AMD components (same with HP stuff, except for printers/plotters). One guy in the office has the same Dell XPS and runs the same software, except his has an equivalent nVidia graphics card. His runs perfectly.

AMD stuff may work okay for gamers, but is complete shit for solid modeling software.

I know: "Weird rant, nerd bro"
Follow up.

Tired of fucking around with Dell support, our IT guy went to Micro Center (pretty much the only place to get parts in Metro Detroit anymore), picked up an nVidia card and swapped it in last evening.

Thing ran perfectly all day today.

Fuck AMD/ATI
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-01-08, 19:56

LibreOffice > openoffice
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-01-08, 20:21

CORNER BLITZ wrote:LibreOffice > openoffice
They're about the same IMO. Neither is fully compatible with MSO documents.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-08, 20:28

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Late response: Not just a Best Buy, but the best, because it's the most expensive.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-08, 20:31

tGreenWay wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:seems like buying it at Best Buy would imply that it's the best buy.

Late response: Not just a Best Buy, but the best, because it's the most expensive.

I forgot I already answered Bob, and pretty much with the same response. Is this early onset Alzheimer's?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-08, 20:36

I forgot I already answered Bob, and pretty much with the same response. Is this early onset Alzheimer's?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 12:10

HELP GEEKS: I have a wireless router that I know the password for, have devices already connected to, but cannot connect new devices and cannot get in to the settings via the router dashboard because it says I have the wrong password... It's the right password. I even went in to one of the connected devices and looked it up to be sure. What can I do?

Thanks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-02, 12:18

There's probably a way to set it back to factory default with a paper clip
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-02, 12:23

The Pantry wrote:There's probably a way to set it back to factory default with a paper clip

This. Just start over. Not that big of a deal.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-02, 12:23

The Pantry wrote:There's probably a way to set it back to factory default with a paper clip

Seconded.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 12:37

Oh that was serious? I guess I know I could reset it, but I didn't want to if I didn't have to. I thought maybe there was a less cumbersome way to do it. Setup will take a while.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-02, 12:41

Rocinante wrote:Oh that was serious? I guess I know I could reset it, but I didn't want to if I didn't have to. I thought maybe there was a less cumbersome way to do it. Setup will take a while.
Have you tried logging in to the router web admin page to verify the password is correct? Check for a setting that limits the number of IPs that can be leased at any given time.

Oops, you already said you can't log in.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-02, 13:22

Is the password on the router itself?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 13:24

InTenSity wrote:Is the password on the router itself?

Yeah it's the router access security password.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-02, 13:26

The admin password for the router interface can be different than the password you chose for the SSID, unless you explicitly changed the admin password. Like some routers out of the box have admin for the user and admin for the password. Check the documentation, unless you're sure you changed it.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 13:56

Floyd Robertson wrote:The admin password for the router interface can be different than the password you chose for the SSID, unless you explicitly changed the admin password. Like some routers out of the box have admin for the user and admin for the password. Check the documentation, unless you're sure you changed it.

I considered this, but even if it's true, it still wouldn't explain why I can't connect new devices with the access password that's working for the devices connected now. I will check to see if I can get in to the router dashboard with other passwords. I'm fairly certain I know it, but it's worth a try. Thanks.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-02, 14:01

Rocinante wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:The admin password for the router interface can be different than the password you chose for the SSID, unless you explicitly changed the admin password. Like some routers out of the box have admin for the user and admin for the password. Check the documentation, unless you're sure you changed it.

I considered this, but even if it's true, it still wouldn't explain why I can't connect new devices with the access password that's working for the devices connected now. I will check to see if I can get in to the router dashboard with other passwords. I'm fairly certain I know it, but it's worth a try. Thanks.

Sometimes there is a default setting that limits the number of connectable devices. If the factory setting is 5, and you're trying to connect a 6th device, you don't really get a nice warning that tells you what the problem is.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-08-02, 14:18

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Sometimes there is a default setting that limits the number of connectable devices. If the factory setting is 5, and you're trying to connect a 6th device, you don't really get a nice warning that tells you what the problem is.

I considered this too. Some iffy info on the Belkin site said there was not a limit, but if I can get into the router, I will know for sure.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-08-02, 16:00

tTy wrote:I just got a new laptop. I had Office on my old one, which still works, but it is getting dated. Is there a way to move it to my new lapper, or am I going to have to figure out how to steal it somehow?

Just use the online versions with a Windows live account.
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down