Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?

+20
tanfan!
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
Gomer
tTy
CORNER BLITZ
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Tim Wakefield
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Giant Moose
Rocinante
Jake from State Farm
DWags
StylesGShmooth
GRR Spartan
I.B. Fine
AMwood
InTenSity
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 Empty Re: What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-08, 09:19

LooseGoose wrote:You poor bastards in the warm part of the state.

First case of Zika virus in Washtenaw County confirmed

An illness that causes a rash and irritated eyes that can last from a few days to a week. God damn! We're fucked!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 Empty Re: What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?

Post by Guest 2016-06-08, 09:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:You poor bastards in the warm part of the state.

First case of Zika virus in Washtenaw County confirmed

An illness that causes a rash and irritated eyes that can last from a few days to a week. God damn! We're fucked!

You seem to have missed this part:

However, Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause a serious birth defect called microcephaly, as well as other severe fetal brain defects.

Do we really want a world of Blanches?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-06-08, 09:40

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

You seem to have missed this part:

However, Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause a serious birth defect called microcephaly, as well as other severe fetal brain defects.

Do we really want a world of Blanches?

I'm not getting pregnant any time soon, Goose.

My guess is this has been a thing forever and doctors finally made the link... so, I'm not going to go jump in my bunker anytime soon.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-08, 16:14

Uh-Oh: More Than 200 Doctors Call for Moving or Postponing Rio Olympics

This is unnerving: About 200 doctors, most of whom are affiliated with big-name, respected institutions and who don’t appear to be paranoid nut-jobs, want the upcoming summer Olympic games to be postponed or relocated from Rio de Janeiro, citing the risks of the Zika virus.

It is indisputable that holding the Games as scheduled has a greater risk of accelerating the spread of the Brazilian viral strain than the alternatives. Postponing and/or moving the Games also mitigates other risks brought on by historic turbulence in Brazil’s economy, governance, and society at large—which are not isolated problems, but context that makes the Zika problem all but impossible to solve with the Games fast approaching.

We are concerned that WHO is rejecting these alternatives because of a conflict of interest. Specifically, WHO entered into an official partnership with the International Olympic Committee, in a Memorandum of Understanding that remains secret.18 There is no good reason for WHO not to disclose this Memorandum of Understanding, as is standard practice for conflicts of interest. Not doing so casts doubt on WHO’s neutrality, for reasons described further in the Appendix.

Most of the doctors signing the petition are medical school professors, infectious disease researchers, molecular biologists — the sort of people who would seem to know a thing or two about the potential risks of Zika.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-06-08, 18:03

Welp, it's been good knowing ya.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-06-17, 11:11

Russian track & field team is waking up relieved this morning.

NYT Sports@NYTSports 8m8 minutes ago
Russia’s track and field team has been barred from Rio Olympics because of doping scandal http://nyti.ms/21qBFBm 
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-17, 16:28

This sounds encouraging.

Bruce Douglas ‏@bruceecurb 27m27 minutes ago
Rio state government declares a state of "public calamity" warning of risk of total collapse in public security, health, transport #Rio2016
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-06-17, 16:46

I think a lot of athletes are going to start 'doping' just to get disqualified from this years olympics. Very convenient for the Russians to get banned this year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2016-06-17, 22:47

I can certainly see the big money guys like the NBA guys dropping out. I wouldn't go.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-19, 11:57

StylesGShmooth wrote:I can certainly see the big money guys like the NBA guys dropping out. I wouldn't go.

I'll bet this picks up steam and many drop out. We still might have a Detroit Olympics!!

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 Screen_20Shot_202014-02-06_20at_205.52.24_20PM.0
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-13, 21:43

Health experts: Zika threat is serious – and getting bigger

“We have made difficult decisions and redirected resources from other important public health activities to support our most critical needs,” Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told senators on a Senate Foreign Affairs subcommittee focused on the Western Hemisphere.

“These redirected funds, however, are not enough to support a comprehensive Zika response, and they divert funding from other critically important public health activities,” Frieden said.

The CDC chief criticized partisan congressional squabbling that has held up the emergency Zika funds.

“This is no way to fight epidemics,” he said.

Rubio, a Miami Republican, described the harm already wrought by Zika in his state and in Puerto Rico.

Florida, he said, reported 13 new infections Monday. With those, the state had a total 282 known cases – 129 of them in South Florida – more than any other state except New York.

Both states have about 1 million Puerto Rican residents, many of whom travel frequently to the commonwealth or host visitors from there.

Zika, carried mainly by the Aedes mosquito species but also transmitted sexually among humans, has ravaged Puerto Rico, where almost 2,500 people have been infected.

“The growing threat of the Zika virus as a full-blown public health crisis in the United States is a clear call to action,” Rubio said.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-13, 23:04

From your article:
Republicans, who hold majorities in both the House and Senate, have blocked a $1.9 billion emergency Zika-prevention package President Barack Obama sent to Congress in February.

The Senate overwhelmingly approved a compromise $1.1 billion bill in May, but when it was returned to the chamber last month, House Republicans in a conference committee had inserted provisions unrelated to Zika that Democrats have long opposed.

Among the provisions are limits on Obamacare, restrictions on abortions, funding cuts for birth control and the lifting of key environmental controls.
Pretty sad the the Republicans are playing games with such an urgent item, eh Goose? The sooner they poor some fuel on the vaccine research the better.

Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 09:59

Gomer wrote:From your article:
Republicans, who hold majorities in both the House and Senate, have blocked a $1.9 billion emergency Zika-prevention package President Barack Obama sent to Congress in February.

The Senate overwhelmingly approved a compromise $1.1 billion bill in May, but when it was returned to the chamber last month, House Republicans in a conference committee had inserted provisions unrelated to Zika that Democrats have long opposed.

Among the provisions are limits on Obamacare, restrictions on abortions, funding cuts for birth control and the lifting of key environmental controls.
Pretty sad the the Republicans are playing games with such an urgent item, eh Goose?  The sooner they poor some fuel on the vaccine research the better.

They've voted for the funding every time.  Yet you say they're playing games?  Why not the Dems playing games, they're in the minority after all, why should they get their way?   You're biased as usual.

PS - it's "pour".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-14, 11:23

It passed the senate with flying colors without that crap

Why did the house republicans need to add shit about abortion and birth control to it?
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-07-14, 11:42

Gomer wrote:It passed the senate with flying colors without that crap

Why did the house republicans need to add shit about abortion and birth control to it?

That is one of the dumbest rules in politics. "Hey I have this bill that will outlaw cloning Hitler."

"Wait, before we put it to a vote, let's add a bunch of shit like allowing kids to carry guns to school."

"That's fucking dumb. I vote no."

"Senator Dicknose over there voted against outlawing cloning Hitler. He's a Nazi!"
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 12:59

Maybe because they're in the majority? Or is it your opinion that the minority party gets to dictate what gets passed? IF you feel that way, have you always felt that way or is this a new revelation on your part since the R's ousted Dingy Harry?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 13:03

because they love jesus and white people.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-14, 14:52

LooseGoose wrote:

Maybe because they're in the majority?   Or is it your opinion that the minority party gets to dictate what gets passed?   IF you feel that way, have you always felt that way or is this a new revelation on your part since the R's ousted Dingy Harry?
I am of the opinion that if zika is such a concern to you, you should be upset with the republicans for playing games with it.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 14:59

Gomer wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Maybe because they're in the majority?   Or is it your opinion that the minority party gets to dictate what gets passed?   IF you feel that way, have you always felt that way or is this a new revelation on your part since the R's ousted Dingy Harry?
I am of the opinion that if zika is such a concern to you, you should be upset with the republicans for playing games with it.

And I say the Dems are playing games. Are you now upset with them you dolt? You can say what you like, as another politician once said "Elections Matter" and the Dems are the minority.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-14, 15:11

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 1853518006
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-14, 17:22

LooseGoose wrote:
Gomer wrote:

And I say the Dems are playing games.   Are you now upset with them you dolt?  You can say what you like, as another politician once said "Elections Matter" and the Dems are the minority.
If the roles were reversed, and I truly felt that fighting zika was of critical importance, I would be upset with the democrats if the stuck all kinds of extraneous shit that had nothing to do with it onto the bill. That might be because I am not a shill though What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 2599972566

Is that good enough for you? Does that make sense? It all goes back to my original statement. If it's that urgent of an item, it's sad they the republicans are playing games with it.

You don't agree. I get it.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 18:09

Gomer wrote:You don't agree. I get it.

Just like I don't agree with the ignorant son of a bitches that outlawed DDT so shit like this could spread. They would rather have dead or deformed kids than a few birds killed off. Senseless.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-14, 18:20

LooseGoose wrote:
Gomer wrote:You don't agree. I get it.

Just like I don't agree with the ignorant son of a bitches that outlawed DDT so shit like this could spread. They would rather have dead or deformed kids than a few birds killed off. Senseless.

Ah. You're still blathering about that pseudoscience nonsense. Got it.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 18:40

Gomer wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Ah. You're still blathering about that pseudoscience nonsense. Got it.

DDT is far from pseudoscience. It kills mosquitoes and saves human lives.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-07-14, 18:43

You got undressed on page 2 of this thread. Go back and reread if you need remedial education What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 502811600
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-14, 19:00

Gomer wrote:You got undressed on page 2 of this thread. Go back and reread if you need remedial education What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 502811600

Nope, only in your mind. You keep believing your myths.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-07-18, 16:12

World News Tonight@ABCWorldNews  24s25 seconds ago  
Health officials stumped after elderly patient transmits virus to caregiver. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/zika-mystery-health-officials-stumped-elderly-patient-transmits/story?id=40670135&cid=wn_tco

It doesn't seem like they've completely ruled out sexual transmission in this case.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-07-18, 16:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:World News Tonight@ABCWorldNews  24s25 seconds ago  
Health officials stumped after elderly patient transmits virus to caregiver. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/zika-mystery-health-officials-stumped-elderly-patient-transmits/story?id=40670135&cid=wn_tco

It doesn't seem like they've completely ruled out sexual transmission in this case.

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 1401550746
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-18, 16:37

I heard them talking about it on the radio this morning, and it just sounded like that was the subtext.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-07-18, 16:40

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 1401550746

Probably not sexual transmission since it was a family member...I'm guessing bodily fluid (blood).

The virus has been known to spread person to person only through sexual contact or through mosquito transmission. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are currently investigating how the infected family member could have contracted the virus even if they had not gone to a country with ongoing Zika virus transmission and had not had sex with a person known to be infected with the virus.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-07-29, 18:33

Zika has assimilated itself into Florida. We can start kissing our asses goodbye.

What to Know About First Local Zika Outbreak in Continental US
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-29, 20:18

Floyd Robertson wrote:Zika has assimilated itself into Florida. We can start kissing our asses goodbye.

What to Know About First Local Zika Outbreak in Continental US

As long as Gomer and his pals keep saving a few hummingbirds over humans this is true. Free the DDT!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-08-04, 17:55

Zika virus successfully tested in monkeys:
http://bigstory.ap.org/e8c54f286e9843f19d166379f5ba65a5

They want to test it in a jackass next. Loose, you game?
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-04, 18:45

I'm bringing Zika to Michigan on Saturday. Good luck everyone.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-04, 18:55

InTenSity wrote:I'm bringing Zika to Michigan on Saturday. Good luck everyone.

There hasn't been enough rain in MI this summer for a mosquito outbreak.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-08-04, 19:14

Gomer wrote:Zika virus successfully tested in monkeys:
http://bigstory.ap.org/e8c54f286e9843f19d166379f5ba65a5

They want to test it in a jackass next. Loose, you game?

Sure - it'll be good to see you sacrifice yourself on the altar of no DDT.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-04, 20:35

Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. Thought it got bumped regarding the heat Brazilians are putting on Hope Solo.

Appears Gomer is back proclaiming his knowledge of everything.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-08-04, 22:55

The Pantry wrote:Appears Gomer is back proclaiming his knowledge of everything.

As you are a person who subscribes to all manners of pseudo-science mumbo jumbo, it must certainly seem that way to you.
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-04, 23:54

Gomer wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Appears Gomer is back proclaiming his knowledge of everything.

As you are a person who subscribes to all manners of pseudo-science mumbo jumbo, it must certainly seem that way to you.
What you think you know would leave plenty of room left on the pointy end of a needle.

Just curious. Do you keep multiple bottles of hand sanitizer at home, in your car, and at work?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2016-08-05, 00:21

The Pantry wrote:
Gomer wrote:As you are a person who subscribes to all manners of pseudo-science mumbo jumbo, it must certainly seem that way to you.
What you think you know would leave plenty of room left on the pointy end of a needle.

Just curious. Do you keep multiple bottles of hand sanitizer at home, in your car, and at work?
You must have painted quite a picture of me. I don't sanitize anything. Save for the undercarriage, I don't even use soap most days (post hockey being the exception). And I play hockey for fuck sake. There isn't a dirtier environment than a beer league locker room. This is a god's honest truth. I don't even wash my jock/socks/under shirt but every third or fourth game (too much of a pain in the ass).

I ride public transportation here. That might actually be dirtier, but in a different way. A stairwell I pass through on a regular basis always reeks of piss. The handrail on the escalator... jesus, I'm not even sure how a germaphobe could look at that without passing out. Maybe I'll wash my hands before I eat dinner downtown. If it's flu season or I know there's a stomach bug going around.

I backpack for nights at a time without showering or really washing my hands. I pick up animals and bugs and shit.

So no. I don't have any sanitizer. I am not afraid of germs What the fuck is this new ZIka virus, and should I be concerned?  - Page 3 502811600

Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next