Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fake twitter people - is this ISIS?

+7
steveschneider
Turtleneck
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
Tim Wakefield
pulling69
WhiteBoyHatcher
11 posters

Go down

Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? Empty Fake twitter people - is this ISIS?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-18, 01:53

I get the feeling after posting here for awhile that not a lot of you are active on Twitter or really get it. I know Roc does. LG, Floyd. Ty. Maybe others. But I am noticing something lately and I am trying to figure it out. I know ISIS has a prominent presence on twitter and because I can't figure out a better explanation I'm going to default to, this is ISIS.

So much like targeted ads, Twitter has seemed to pick up my basic demographics in life. I don't tweet very often, my bio only sorta explains what I'm about, but like most peeps on Twitter, suddenly and randomly you get followed by spambots or real people or whatnot because of the shit you post. Usually when that happens you check out the other person's profile and tweets to see if they're worth following back.

Not sure when it started but I got followed by some people that would fit into a demographic that would interest me. Women/Moms in their 30s with kids who post sorta funny/vulgar shit. Check their profiles out, hey they're kinda funny, worth a follow. They retweet similar accounts on a 10:1 ratio vs. their own tweets. All very funny. The stuff they retweet probably is at least mildly humorous 75% of the time. But it's like a network of re-tweeters. And endless loop of fake people. Usually the avi pic is of a somewhat attractive female. Usually their bio lists a favstar url. And that's it. They have tens of thousands of followers. Each of their creative/humorous tweets seem to get hundreds of faves and retweets. But no evidence this is actually a real person.

What is going on here? I feel like it is an ISIS triangle.

Sample accounts. There are so many more. This is just a sampling based off of recent posts.

https://twitter.com/_Tempo11
https://twitter.com/_nikkabee
https://twitter.com/EZSherlock
https://twitter.com/heatherlou_

TL;DR - Twitter - how does it work, what are they trying to get from me?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? Empty Re: Fake twitter people - is this ISIS?

Post by pulling69 2016-02-18, 02:06

You need to make your shit private yo.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? Empty Re: Fake twitter people - is this ISIS?

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-02-18, 02:14

I have like 250 followers but I think a lot of them are fake. I only follow 70 or so. Maybe a few of those fake ones are ISIS Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 2599972566

Speaking of Twitter, is Rexrode still being a smug piece of shit? I unfollowed him a while back. He was being a douche after an MSU loss and it pissed me off. I like Mike Wilson (am I allowed to say that on here?)
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-18, 02:14

pulling69 wrote:You need to make your shit private yo.

Why? I'm not personal enough with my tweets to GAF who sees them. Regardless, just trying to figure out the purpose of this scam.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-18, 02:15

Tim Wakefield wrote:I have like 250 followers but I think a lot of them are fake. I only follow 70 or so. Maybe a few of those fake ones are ISIS Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 2599972566

Speaking of Twitter, is Rexrode still being a smug piece of shit? I unfollowed him a while back. He was being a douche after an MSU loss and it pissed me off. I like Mike Wilson (am I allowed to say that on here?)

Rexrode is smug. For sure. Can't help himself. Doesn't like getting called out. Becomes very sarcastic.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2016-02-18, 02:16

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
pulling69 wrote:You need to make your shit private yo.

Why? I'm not personal enough with my tweets to GAF who sees them. Regardless, just trying to figure out the purpose of this scam.
Has Sdawgs 265 Tweeted at you yet? He tweeted at me with a Twitter poll he made about me Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 1550444538 Rolling Eyes
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-18, 05:33

Tim Wakefield wrote:I have like 250 followers but I think a lot of them are fake. I only follow 70 or so. Maybe a few of those fake ones are ISIS Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 2599972566

250??? Every time I get to about 85 a couple of people drop me. I guess that's my Twitter ceiling. Of course, I'm pretty boring as fuck on Twitter, so there might be that.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-02-18, 07:23

I think there is some sort of advertising/click component to Twitter.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-02-18, 11:04

I'm in college though Floyd, you guys are old Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 502811600

Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-02-18, 11:06

Fuck you Tim, I have like 220 or something.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2016-02-18, 11:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Fuck you Tim, I have like 220 or something.

#Club200
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-18, 11:45

Tim Wakefield wrote:I'm in college though Floyd, you guys are old Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 502811600

Yes, there's also that. Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-18, 11:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I get the feeling after posting here for awhile that not a lot of you are active on Twitter or really get it. I know Roc does. LG, Floyd. Ty. Maybe others. But I am noticing something lately and I am trying to figure it out. I know ISIS has a prominent presence on twitter and because I can't figure out a better explanation I'm going to default to, this is ISIS.

So much like targeted ads, Twitter has seemed to pick up my basic demographics in life. I don't tweet very often, my bio only sorta explains what I'm about, but like most peeps on Twitter, suddenly and randomly you get followed by spambots or real people or whatnot because of the shit you post. Usually when that happens you check out the other person's profile and tweets to see if they're worth following back.

Not sure when it started but I got followed by some people that would fit into a demographic that would interest me. Women/Moms in their 30s with kids who post sorta funny/vulgar shit. Check their profiles out, hey they're kinda funny, worth a follow. They retweet similar accounts on a 10:1 ratio vs. their own tweets. All very funny. The stuff they retweet probably is at least mildly humorous 75% of the time. But it's like a network of re-tweeters. And endless loop of fake people. Usually the avi pic is of a somewhat attractive female. Usually their bio lists a favstar url. And that's it. They have tens of thousands of followers. Each of their creative/humorous tweets seem to get hundreds of faves and retweets. But no evidence this is actually a real person.

What is going on here? I feel like it is an ISIS triangle.

Sample accounts. There are so many more. This is just a sampling based off of recent posts.

https://twitter.com/_Tempo11
https://twitter.com/_nikkabee
https://twitter.com/EZSherlock
https://twitter.com/heatherlou_

TL;DR - Twitter - how does it work, what are they trying to get from me?

So people on Twitter think you are a 30 year old mom?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-05, 16:16

tl;dr version: Floyd's latest hobby is fucking with twitter scam artists but might lose a kidney.

I've been having this great string lately with fake hot under 35s DMing me. My twitter pic must have sucka all over it. The great thing is they all use pics from low-level internet celebs (think like Angie Varona), so they're easily reverse-engineered and I'm seriously cracking up over one of them.

After baiting me for like two weeks she finally tries setting the hook, saying she's been running all over town and can't find and iTunes gift card and can I send her one? Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 502811600

I said no, I'm kinda short of cash because mom's in the hospital and I'm having to pay her bills, so she pouts and goes away for like a week. Last night she comes back asking if I'm mad and professing her love for me for me and I'm the only one for her (right). So after a few back and forths last night I confessed that I'm falling head over heels and I'm going to drop 20lbs (which I really am) to make her happy and finally quit smoking (which I really am).

Waiting to see if scared "her" off yet and when will be the best time to send her a link of all her photos that I found.

Yes, I'm easily amused sometimes.

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-05, 16:23

Probably russian bots.

https://medium.com/dfrlab/botspot-twelve-ways-to-spot-a-bot-aedc7d9c110c

I think Russia has a ton of fake accounts to drive up the likes on stories to make them trend.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-12-05, 16:33

Just checked my twitter followers and did an audit. 500+/95+%. Pretty sure not being followed by ISIS, but wouldn't be surprised the bots are somewhere in Eastern Europe trying to separate me from my money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-05, 16:47

I've noticed whenever I used to respond to one of David Frum's tweets I'd almost always get a few followers after it. They always looked completely fake like the stuff that WBH just posted.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-05, 16:49

BTW, twitter is awesome. I've set my views so I see only journalist and comedians commenting on the news. I think it blows away facebook. Haven't been on facebook in months and don't miss it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-05, 16:56

I google image searched Nikka Bee and in related image search it gave me SarahBeerInTheFridge

https://twitter.com/SarahR_82

Looks like the same person.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-12-05, 17:04

Yeah dude it’s russians duh.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-05, 17:09

tGreenWay wrote:Just checked my twitter followers and did an audit. 500+/95+%. Pretty sure not being followed by ISIS, but wouldn't be surprised the bots are somewhere in Eastern Europe trying to separate me from my money.

#HumbleBrag

I've hade an account since 09 and haven't cracked 200 followers. Hell, I didn't crack 100 until last year.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-12-05, 17:59

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Just checked my twitter followers and did an audit. 500+/95+%. Pretty sure not being followed by ISIS, but wouldn't be surprised the bots are somewhere in Eastern Europe trying to separate me from my money.

#HumbleBrag

I've hade an account since 09 and haven't cracked 200 followers. Hell, I didn't crack 100 until last year.

Not really a humblebrag. Like Steve, when I tweet at someone or use certain hashtags, I'll pickup a couple. It's pretty easy to ID the bots. There's also those people who use those programs promising thousands of followers. Some of those folks do it just to stroke their ego, others do it so they can show marketers how many followers they have, which in turn, means more money for them. The programs that add followers to my account hoping I'll respond in kind use their analytics and know I'm real. People trying to gain followers so they can be social media influencers need real people numbers, not numbers filled with bots. Thing is, I rarely follow back unless it's someone who interests me.
No, my humblebrag is being followed by a multi-Grammy-winning singer/musician, plus a few C-level TV actors, which proves they'll follow anyone. I do have a couple of pretty cool followers on Instagram.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-05, 18:18

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

#HumbleBrag

Not really a humblebrag. Like Steve, when I tweet at someone or use certain hashtags, I'll pickup a couple. It's pretty easy to ID the bots. There's also those people who use those programs promising thousands of followers. Some of those folks do it just to stroke their ego, others do it so they can show marketers how many followers they have, which in turn, means more money for them. The programs that add followers to my account hoping I'll respond in kind use their analytics and know I'm real. People trying to gain followers so they can be social media influencers need real people numbers, not numbers filled with bots. Thing is, I rarely follow back unless it's someone who interests me.
No, my humblebrag is being followed by a multi-Grammy-winning singer/musician, plus a few C-level TV actors, which proves they'll follow anyone. I do have a couple of pretty cool followers on Instagram.

I understand the buy followers thing. Either I get there organically or never. I do also have a multi-platinum Grammy artist follow in me. One of 11,700 which is not bad considering.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-12-05, 18:44

Floyd Robertson wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I understand the buy followers thing. Either I get there organically or never. I do also have a multi-platinum Grammy artist follow in me. One of 11,700 which is not bad considering.

I can understand why someone would you, but all I do is troll a certain person constantly in the news who also loves using twitter to communicate. It's cathartic for me, plus it's just jolly good fun making fun of his tiny hands.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-12-05, 18:46

tGreenWay wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I can understand why someone would you, but all I do is troll a certain person constantly in the news who also loves using twitter to communicate. It's cathartic for me, plus it's just jolly good fun making fun of his tiny hands.

Fake twitter people - is this ISIS? 55953254
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2017-12-06, 06:34

WBH - is this ISIS, or just a horny soccer mom?
submitted for your expert opinion

https://twitter.com/TulipsinJune
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-12-06, 08:22

My hot new followers keep talking about seizing the means of production. Not sure what that is all about.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-12-06, 08:46

Wally Fairway wrote:WBH - is this ISIS, or just a horny soccer mom?
submitted for your expert opinion

https://twitter.com/TulipsinJune

ISIS
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down