Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open House invitations

+17
Punisher98
Cym Jim
Goud21
AMwood
Other Teams Pursuing That
Masturbates
green night
CheesySpartan
Frank Ricard
EdMartinsLoan
SPARTASOTAN
Sponge Worthy
MasonGuy
Dendrobates
Loose Stools
Bizarro Fletch
JEK
21 posters

Go down

Open House invitations Empty Open House invitations

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 15:59

Does anyone here actually go to these things? I haven't been since my high school days, and don't plan on going back to another one. Sorry, but I don't think rich white suburban kids graduating high school is a big accomplishment. It's something you're supposed to do. And you don't need a gift from me, your parents will be taking care of your spoiled ass for the next 4+ years.

Just got one from my cousin, who I barely know. He's a nice enough kid but went to a private Christian school and is very socially awkward. And of course, there will be no booze. Think I'll pass.

Last edited by JEK on 2014-05-15, 16:02; edited 1 time in total
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Open House invitations Empty Re: Open House invitations

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2014-05-15, 16:00

But what about the high school chicks???

- Forbin
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 16:01

Bizarro Fletch wrote:But what about the high school chicks???

- Forbin

Forbin has another term for high school chicks. He calls 'em cougars.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 16:03

gHost Spartan wrote:Why can't you just be happy someone reached a milestone?

F uck milestone.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-05-15, 16:14

gHost Spartan wrote:Why can't you just be happy someone reached a milestone?
I'm thrilled.  But do I have to pay for it?  I get tired of getting invitations from people you never talk unless you bump into them at some family or reunion thing.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 16:38

gHost, don't you live in Arizona? Which I assume is not where you originally grew up?

Easy to take the high road when you don't have to attend any of these things.  Open House invitations 502811600 
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-15, 17:07

I find it interesting you call it a "open house" as well. When I first mentioned that, my husband was confused. No one knew it was a graduation party in his family, they just called it that.

Back to the actual topic.....They are kind of annoying, and I agree that it is expected, but it's still a milestone in life. I liked my party, and it got me even more excited for college. I have always been frivolous, so I saved all my money from party. Since you don't seem to care about that family memeber, then don't go. But if you go, just give them $20. No biggie.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MasonGuy 2014-05-15, 17:15

The ones I went to last year had excellent food, plenty of drinks and I made a couple of golfing and business contacts. Not bad for 60 minutes and $25. Plus the kid was a good kid and I wanted to congratulate them. You are probably too young to enjoy seeing the achievement of kids.
MasonGuy
MasonGuy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponge Worthy 2014-05-15, 17:26

It's funny how this topic comes up every May  Wink 

It is in fact a milestone that every HS kid craves (I sure remember it being exciting to finally be DONE!) but yeah, we soon realize how good it was to be in HS, and then College, before going to the swill of the real world (pardon the expression)

I also am very happy my kids are old enough that these pesky events are a non-issue. The food and drinks were good at some, but they really interrupt things for a solid 2-3 weeks every June..

Sponge Worthy
Sponge Worthy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 17:45

Dendrobates wrote:I find it interesting you call it a "open house" as well. When I first mentioned that, my husband was confused. No one knew it was a graduation party in his family, they just called it that.

Back to the actual topic.....They are kind of annoying, and I agree that it is expected, but it's still a milestone in life. I liked my party, and it got me even more excited for college. I have always been frivolous, so I saved all my money from party. Since you don't seem to care about that family memeber, then don't go. But if you go, just give them $20. No biggie.

The "milestone" is recognized at the actual graduation ceremony. The parties are nothing more than legal rackets.  Open House invitations 1896033241 

I'm really not that passionate about this. Just killing time on a slow work day.  Open House invitations 502811600 
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-15, 17:54

JEK wrote:

The "milestone" is recognized at the actual graduation ceremony. The parties are nothing more than legal rackets.  Open House invitations 1896033241 

I'm really not that passionate about this. Just killing time on a slow work day.  Open House invitations 502811600 

But it's a party for the milestone. And every 17/18 wants to party. Now, I know some grumpy middle aged people don't like to party. :…
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-15, 17:57

Hey now. I'm not middle aged, only mildly grumpy, and like to party.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SPARTASOTAN 2014-05-15, 17:58

I prefer the Potato Cakes thread
SPARTASOTAN
SPARTASOTAN
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-15, 18:56

JEK wrote:Hey now. I'm not middle aged, only mildly grumpy, and like to party.

My mistake, you sounded more like this.  Open House invitations 1494614055 

Open House invitations Oldmanyellsatcloud_thumb
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMartinsLoan 2014-05-15, 23:51

2 kids already through high school. We didn't go to any open house parties except for my only niece and in turn didn't have a graduation party for our kids so we'll call it even.
Can only tolerate so much overcooked mostaccioli.
EdMartinsLoan
EdMartinsLoan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2014-05-16, 00:09

I think I'm out of the open house thing for a few years. My kids all had one, then I had to go to some of their friends homes because we were also friends of their ours and now all the nieces and nephews are grown and gone.

So now I have a few years off of going to these things. So it's the next step is either die or start going to the grandkids' graduation parties. So much to look forward to.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-16, 19:56

Dendrobates wrote:

My mistake, you sounded more like this.  Open House invitations 1494614055 

Open House invitations Oldmanyellsatcloud_thumb

If not wanting to spend my Saturday afternoon sipping on Diet Cokes and forcing conversation out of socially awkward sheltered jesus loving acne teens makes me an old man, then they can go ahead and expedite my AARP card.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-16, 20:01

JEK wrote:

If not wanting to spend my Saturday afternoon sipping on Diet Cokes and forcing conversation out of socially awkward sheltered jesus loving acne teens makes me an old man, then they can go ahead and expedite my AARP card.

I agree and feel the same way. Unless they have booze, then it's worth it. Just send a card.  Razz 
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-16, 20:08

Dendrobates wrote:

I agree and feel the same way. Unless they have booze, then it's worth it. Just send a card.  Razz 

I love my immediate family, but my extended family is VERY conservative to the point it's just uncomfortable to be around. My dad and I try to compete for who can make the most inappropriate jokes at Christmas and Thanksgiving just to see how many "looks" we get.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-05-16, 20:15

Who the f uck hosts a party without booze?
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-16, 21:02

JEK wrote:

I love my immediate family, but my extended family is VERY conservative to the point it's just uncomfortable to be around. My dad and I try to compete for who can make the most inappropriate jokes at Christmas and Thanksgiving just to see how many "looks" we get.

Sounds similar to my in-laws. Except we always see "Aunt Jane" everywhere. She is so fucking annoying and constantly talks about the weirdest, dumbest things. We have a code referring to her. You just make an obnoxious duck "rant rant" sound and everyone in the family knows you're talking about her and everyone laughs. I really don't think she gets that it's about her. But my in-laws are always together with lots of extended family. So I guess I'm used to the constant parties for every fucking thing.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by green night 2014-05-17, 06:38

JEK wrote:Does anyone here actually go to these things? I haven't been since my high school days, and don't plan on going back to another one. Sorry, but I don't think rich white suburban kids graduating high school is a big accomplishment. It's something you're supposed to do. And you don't need a gift from me, your parents will be taking care of your spoiled ass for the next 4+ years.

Just got one from my cousin, who I barely know. He's a nice enough kid but went to a private Christian school and is very socially awkward. And of course, there will be no booze. Think I'll pass.

I felt the same way but twife took going solo and then i started joining ... only ones i go to are for family and close friends kids. we do dontate to almost all .... it sucks but with 3 kids i guess we're paying forward.
green night
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-05-17, 09:41

gHost Spartan wrote:Isn't that kind of the point of these things? See family?

Seeing family, mostly nice.  Paying cash for the privilege, not so nice.  That's why funerals are better.  The guest of honor doesn't have his hand out.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Masturbates 2014-05-17, 10:10

Masturbates
Masturbates
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-05-17, 10:30

It's an excuse to socialize and party. You sound like a loser.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-05-17, 10:38

i'm going to one this afternoon. this is the last of their three kids. those fuckers have fleeced me over the years.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-17, 10:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:It's an excuse to socialize and party. You sound like a loser.

Wow. Your life must be pretty boring if you consider a chance to hang out with high school kids an excuse to "party."
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-05-17, 11:22

JEK wrote:

Wow. Your life must be pretty boring if you consider a chance to hang out with high school kids an excuse to "party."

Oh, I forgot only high school kids attend graduation parties. No adults or parents.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by JEK 2014-05-17, 11:27

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Oh, I forgot only high school kids attend graduation parties. No adults or parents.

Regardless, I don't consider open houses an "excuse" to party. It's not like the only two options are open house or sitting alone doing nothing. When the summer gets going, I like to spend my Saturdays at the lake with company I enjoy. I guess that makes me a loser. Oh well.
JEK
JEK
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Masturbates 2014-05-18, 17:53

High school graduation parties, ok I get it. But how about those parties for graduating middle school?
Masturbates
Masturbates
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Goud21 2014-05-19, 09:05

I used to feel this way, but as I get older and have kids of my own, I get it more. I kind of look at it like I do baby showers, weddings, etc, etc. You spend a little money on your relative and hopefully they return the favor when it's your turn (or in this case your kid's turn).

To compare it to a baby shower that your wife goes to: You buy one gift (or more) for every shower spread out over 10-15 years (the range when friends and similar aged family are having kids). You probably buy a couple things every year and shell out a couple hundred dollars. Then, when you have kids, your friends and family return the favor and buy you something. You probably spend as much money over 10-15 years that they spend on you in one day. It saves you from having to shell out a ton of cash all at once to buy all the baby crap you need. In the long run, you probably spend just as much money but it's not all at once.

Same idea, your kid graduates from high school and friends and family come over and buy things they need for college or give them cash. It saves you from having to buy them the random crap and then they have some money in their pocket to buy college stuff or to spend without having to ask Mom and Dad for money. In return though, you're expected to go to parties for other family members and your friend's children. In the end, it just spreads your expenses out a bit.

Or, as someone earlier posted, don't go to any of the parties you're invited to, but don't throw a party and expect everyone to show up at yours.
Goud21
Goud21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-05-19, 09:25

Goud21 wrote:I used to feel this way, but as I get older and have kids of my own, I get it more.  I kind of look at it like I do baby showers, weddings, etc, etc.  You spend a little money on your relative and hopefully they return the favor when it's your turn (or in this case your kid's turn).  

To compare it to a baby shower that your wife goes to:  You buy one gift (or more) for every shower spread out over 10-15 years (the range when friends and similar aged family are having kids).  You probably buy a couple things every year and shell out a couple hundred dollars.  Then, when you have kids, your friends and family return the favor and buy you something.  You probably spend as much money over 10-15 years that they spend on you in one day.  It saves you from having to shell out a ton of cash all at once to buy all the baby crap you need.  In the long run, you probably spend just as much money but it's not all at once.  

Same idea, your kid graduates from high school and friends and family come over and buy things they need for college or give them cash.  It saves you from having to buy them the random crap and then they have some money in their pocket to buy college stuff or to spend without having to ask Mom and Dad for money.  In return though, you're expected to go to parties for other family members and your friend's children.  In the end, it just spreads your expenses out a bit.  

Or, as someone earlier posted, don't go to any of the parties you're invited to, but don't throw a party and expect everyone to show up at yours.  

I'm quite impressed that you've managed to turn celebrating someone's achievements into a selfish game of gift reciprocation.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Punisher98 2014-05-19, 09:36

Loose Stools wrote:
Seeing family, mostly nice.  Paying cash for the privilege, not so nice.  That's why funerals are better.  The guest of honor doesn't have his hand out.

Is it really that big of a deal to you to give out $25 a couple of times a year? Did you not have an open house when you graduated?
Punisher98
Punisher98
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-05-19, 09:39

I only go if I really know the graduate and/or family.. we get probably 10-15 invites every year - some from people I barely know - but I probably only attend one or two..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AMwood 2014-05-19, 10:59

went on saturday. gave c-note cash. talked with friends for 1-1/2 hours. later banged out date #7 again.
AMwood
AMwood
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Ten Referee 2014-05-19, 11:23

I've been invited to a few. One is a pool party with booze. I will definitely be attending.
Big Ten Referee
Big Ten Referee
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2014-05-19, 11:40

Big Ten Referee wrote:I've been invited to a few. One is a pool party with booze. I will definitely be attending.

I'll be there too with my camera.

Signed,
Forbin
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner 2014-05-19, 11:46

I think of it as a way to go drink other people's booze and eat their food. Plus you get to talk with people you otherwise wouldn't. Speaking of which, my younger cousin just graduated H.S. and is going to UM in the fall. What would be some good "gifts" for him?
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-05-19, 12:10

The Lonely Stoner wrote:Speaking of which, my younger cousin just graduated H.S. and is going to UM in the fall. What would be some good "gifts" for him?

A gift wrapped box full of feces.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down