Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mio and area Doings

+28
Da Mayor
CORNER BLITZ
MSU addict
The Pantry
MattyFresh
Senior Dickfist
WhiteBoyHatcher
tTito
Martin Spartan
Gomer
Travis of the Cosmos
aualum06
Nordic
NigelUno
tanfan!
Jake from State Farm
CheesySpartan
Clarett's Folly
Triple Sparty
Turtleneck
Other Teams Pursuing That
Blanch32
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
InTenSity
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
32 posters

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Empty Re: Mio and area Doings

Post by DWags 2016-06-28, 09:43

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Rn2

It's amazing that people somehow get the idea that liberals are snobs.

I'm pretty much a tree hugging liberal. Please don't use Bob to define us. The guy is one of the angriest guys on the planet.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-06-28, 10:08

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

It's amazing that people somehow get the idea that liberals are snobs.

I'm pretty much a tree hugging liberal. Please don't use Bob to define us. The guy is one of the angriest guys on the planet.
this..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-30, 13:43

Orvis 101 Free Fly-Fishing Day July 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm | Free

Orvis and TU have teamed up with dealers to offer FREE instruction for everyone. Mason-Griffith Founders TU volunteers (guides themselves) and MGFTU board member and Gates Lodge lead instructor Mark Hendricks are here to make fly fishing fun and accessible. No wading or waders required. This is the easiest way to get started. Please bring appropriate clothing, as well as anything you might want to drink or snack on. Bugspray and sunglasses are recommended. Class limit is 15. Class is free.

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 160629_underwaterbrown-1024x768

There’s something special about hooking a big trout on a dry fly after dark. There must be, judging by the number of people that desire it, dream about it, and otherwise shed all normalcy to achieve it. I’ve wondered if it would be the same in the day. I guess it would, but it would be less unique. There are plenty of places in the world to catch big fish on dry flies during the day, though many require — at least for us — a plane ride. The after dark Michigan hatches are special because they do happen in the dark, and the additional barrier somehow strengthens the sensation of the ultimate, midnight connection.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-06-30, 19:07

LooseGoose wrote:Orvis 101 Free Fly-Fishing Day July 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm | Free

Orvis and TU have teamed up with dealers to offer FREE instruction for everyone. Mason-Griffith Founders TU volunteers (guides themselves) and MGFTU board member and Gates Lodge lead instructor Mark Hendricks are here to make fly fishing fun and accessible. No wading or waders required. This is the easiest way to get started. Please bring appropriate clothing, as well as anything you might want to drink or snack on. Bugspray and sunglasses are recommended. Class limit is 15. Class is free.

There’s something special about hooking a big trout on a dry fly after dark. There must be, judging by the number of people that desire it, dream about it, and otherwise shed all normalcy to achieve it. I’ve wondered if it would be the same in the day. I guess it would, but it would be less unique. There are plenty of places in the world to catch big fish on dry flies during the day, though many require — at least for us — a plane ride. The after dark Michigan hatches are special because they do happen in the dark, and the additional barrier somehow strengthens the sensation of the ultimate, midnight connection.

Does the after dark fishing really happen in the dark?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-06-30, 19:21

Jake from State Farm wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Orvis 101 Free Fly-Fishing Day July 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm | Free

It's not pitch dark, there is moonlight but no artificial lights. Just you, nature and the other anglers.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-06-30, 20:27

LooseGoose wrote:

It's not pitch dark, there is moonlight but no artificial lights. Just you, nature and the other anglers.

Last time I tried fishing in the dark I had to pull a treble hook out of my hand with a pair of pliers.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-01, 07:05

LooseGoose wrote:

Last time I tried fishing in the dark I had to pull a treble hook out of my hand with a pair of pliers.

That's no fun at all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-02, 06:52

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 13529146_994885460581292_5677538321148730324_n
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-02, 07:58

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 502811600 at this thread
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-03, 09:41

Patriotism swells in Luzerne during Fourth of July festivities

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467499479_0837

LUZERNE — Hundreds flocked to Luzerne July 2 to enjoy a variety of Fourth of July festivities hosted by the Luzerne district of the Chamber of Commerce for Oscoda County.

The day included games, crafts, a Bigfoot look-alike contest, a parade, fireworks at dusk and more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-04, 14:15

Comins residents, visitors parade their patriotism

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467651094_77c6

COMINS — Comins was filled with floats, fire trucks, flying candy and smiling faces July 4 as residents and visitors gathered to celebrate Independence Day.

Following an approximately 35-minute parade on M-33, a free lunch was provided at the Comins Township Hall by the Comins Mennonite Church.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-04, 15:16

With the tribute bands in manistee and comings and goings in mio, northern Michigan is clearly a bastion of sophistication.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-04, 15:22

Tanfan! wrote:With the tribute bands in manistee and comings and goings in mio, northern Michigan is clearly a bastion of sophistication.

lol, not really trying to be I don't think. Just trying to live an enjoyable life, it's a simpler way.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-04, 15:25

LooseGoose wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:With the tribute bands in manistee and comings and goings in mio, northern Michigan is clearly a bastion of sophistication.

lol, not really trying to be I don't think. Just trying to live an enjoyable life, it's a simpler way.
LooseGoose wrote:

It really is a simple way to live and probably a great place to raise a family. But you have got to crack up at the naiveté.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-04, 22:03

Mio comes together to celebrate Independence Day

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467666994_8a66

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467666961_f11e

MIO — Mio was overtaken July 4 by patriotic people of all ages who gathered for the annual Independence Day parade. The afternoon also included a craft show, games, a bounce house, food and more.

The fireworks show is scheduled to be held at 33 Motosports Park after dusk. Check back later tonight for more photos from the display.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-04, 22:05

Tanfan! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:
It really is a simple way to live and probably a great place to raise a family. But you have got to crack up at the naiveté.

I'm not sure it's all naivete', I think there may be some of that but I also think there's a degree of "this is my life and I'm going to enjoy it the best I can". It's probably a better way to live than to go through life bitter at what you don't have.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-07-04, 22:39

Tanfan! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

LooseGoose wrote:

Tanner doesn't this thread make you miss Michigan? Perfect for the pure campaign
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-07-04, 22:41

LooseGoose wrote:
Tanfan! wrote:

I'm not sure it's all naivete', I think there may be some of that but I also think there's a degree of "this is my life and I'm going to enjoy it the best I can". It's probably a better way to live than to go through life bitter at what you don't have.

I agree. When life gives you a lemon. Make lemon wedges.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-05, 16:20

July 9th is shaping up to be a big day in Mio -

10th annual classic car show coming July 9

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467728406_a7f7

MIO — The 10th annual Mio Classic Car Show sponsored by Mio Masonic Lodge 596 is slated to roll into town July 9, bringing with it dozens of hot rods and muscle cars.

Registration will be from 9-11 a.m. The cost to register a vehicle to be judged is $10 before the event and $15 on scene. The event will be held on the lawn south of the Paddle Inn parking lot, with room for about 100 cars.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-05, 16:21

Airport fly-in landing in Mio July 9

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467729047_ab58

MIO — The Oscoda County Dennis Kauffman Memorial Airport Fly-In is slated to bring pilots, planes and pancakes to the Mio airport July 9 from 7:30-11 a.m.

Airport Manager David Kauffman said attendance at the event is always weather-dependent, but there are typically a number of pilots on scene. He said the most ever on scene for the event was around 15 airplanes.

The public is welcome to visit the airport to chat with the pilots and check out their planes. Kauffman said the pilots are usually open to answering questions from visitors with an interest in aviation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-05, 18:40

More big Events for July 9th weekend.

Heritage Days going western in third year

COMINS TWP. — Heritage Days is expected to grow in its third year, according to fair board President Sandy Handrich, who said there will be no shortage of activities during the free two-day event.

Heritage Days is slated to be held at the Oscoda County Fairgrounds July 8-9. This year’s theme is “Heritage Days Western Style.”

The festivities kick off July 8 at noon. The first day will include a quilt sale, silent auction, goat milking, sheep shearing, Lego competition, kids games at 1 p.m., story time at 2 p.m., horse rides, a barbecue pork meal at 5 p.m. and a draft horse pull at 7 p.m.

And for the first time, a Cowboy and Cowgirl Challenge is also on the docket.

“It’s kind of like a glorified trail course set up, and there are some prizes for that,” Handrich said, noting there is no cost to participate.

To register, call Handrich at 734-788-3254.

July 9 is slated to feature a pancake breakfast at 8 a.m.; cowboy church at 9 a.m.; logging equipment on display from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; a bike rodeo at 1 p.m.; story time at 2 p.m.; a clinic to teach kids what horse judges are looking for during competitions at 4 p.m.; and free wagon rides all day. The work from the Lego competition will also be on display.

The day’s big-ticket attraction is slated to begin at 1 p.m. when the Hiser Brothers host a logging competition. It will cost $5 to enter each competition, which will include pole climbing, ax throwing and chainsaw contests. For more information or to register, call Dave Gardulski at 989-848-2581.

The bike rodeo is being hosted by the sheriff department.

Motorcycle enduros coming to Fairview this weekend

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1410032641_8b19

FAIRVIEW — Riders from across the Great Lakes region will descend upon Fairview this weekend for the Single-Track Off-Road Events’ Baby Bear and Grizzly enduros July 9-10.

The event kicks off Saturday with the Baby Bear Family Enduro.

“It’s very family-oriented — for the kids as well as adults that aren’t hardcore, go-fast-in-the-woods type riders,” organizer Rick Handrich said. “We have riders from 4-year-olds up to 60-plus class. Our event takes place on private property, where we have trails in the woods or fields that the motorcycles will ride.”

Riders will traverse the course established at Joel Yoder’s farm, located at 1829 N. Weaver Rd. in Fairview.

“It’s a timed event, more like a rally where you try to average a certain mile per hour over X amount of miles,” Handrich said. “As you’re riding through the trail, there are secret checkpoints along the way where you’ll come up to on your motorcycle and you’re scored based on if you’re going too fast — not averaging 12 mph — or under that. You receive penalty points if you’re going too fast or too slow. At the end of the event, you turn in a score card, and the winner is determined by who has the least amount of penalty points.”

And some Mio Fireworks shots....

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467730697_a756

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1467730794_39e2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-07-05, 18:43

How're the horse flies this summer, Loose? Some of the worst I've ever experienced in Mio.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-07-05, 18:44

I like Mio. I almost always have their lemonade in my cupboard in the summer. Usually one other flavor to mix things up, like orange tangerine.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-05, 19:30

Rocinante wrote:How're the horse flies this summer, Loose? Some of the worst I've ever experienced in Mio.

Haven't see one. I had about 40 people here at one time or another over the weekend for kind of a rolling family reunion and we ate every meal outside, it was a glorious weekend for weather. If we get them I think it'll be later in the summer, but we literally didn't even have any mosquitoes.

Warm but not humid days and nice cool evenings for campfires and sleeping. Last guest left about 10am, I've sort of been enjoying the peace again. Cooking and cleaning up behind that many people gets to be a chore on about day 3 even if you have help.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-06, 07:43

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Oldpeople2

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-06, 09:28

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Oldpeople2

I've got that couple in the death pool. Calling dibs now
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-06, 09:33

Tanfan! wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Oldpeople2

I've got that couple in the death pool. Calling dibs now
check with LooseGoose - I think he's the chair of the Mio Chamber of Commerce and they meet weekly at the phone booth adjacent to the water tower. He'll likely have more info on this couple.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-07, 15:39

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 160706_Donny-1024x768

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 160706_rob

A common refrain around the shop: I wish the hex would just end so I could go do other things. Like…go pop bugs out at Wakeley, go hit tricos on the North Branch (and the mainstream!), go throw foam, go smallmouth fishing, go creekin’, go gurgling, go fish the beadhead, go hit the evening olive spinners, go…

it’s a beauty unique to July. It’s a time when even the mighty hex, an often single-minded pursuit, is reduced to being just another fun thing to go do. My own plans for the week ahead include fishing with my kids on the South Branch for brook trout, heading to the big lake for smallmouth and or carp, fishing tricos with my dad, and a few annual attractor-fishing floats with friends. In July, there is little sitting and waiting. You don’t “hold a spot” in July. You just head off toward whatever it is what you want to do.

Last night my dad and I stumbled into a big empty river and a bunch of hex. It was surreal, awesome, and fun. Adventures were had. A bat landed on my hand (a first) and I dropped the boat pole. Dad caught his biggest Au Sable trout to date. I carelessly broke one off. We’d hoped for this, but hadn’t planned for it. We had good fishing with Isos on the way down the river. The rest was quite simply a July gift. In June, there’s so much expectation around, you can’t give it away. In July, expectation is like gold.

The beauty of choose
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-07, 15:47

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1412214554

these spry young men seem very pleased with how their day turned out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-07, 15:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1412214554

So much like your "angry meme" in other threads you won't be letting go of your "old meme" in this thread? As I've said elsewhere, you're a one trick pony that Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 for years. What amazes me is that some intellectual midgets find that funny. Carry on and enjoy stalking my posts, it's creepy but I'm assuming you're a harmless little twit in person.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-07, 16:02

LooseGoose wrote:

So much like your "angry meme" in other threads you won't be letting go of your "old meme" in this thread? As I've said elsewhere, you're a one trick pony that Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 Mio and area Doings - Page 5 2102841802 for years. What amazes me is that some intellectual midgets find that funny. Carry on and enjoy stalking my posts, it's creepy but I'm assuming you're a harmless little twit in person.
you seem angry.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-07, 16:04

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

you seem angry.

According to you we're all angry. You're the island of tranquility in a sea of anger. Or you're a fruitcake. I vote for option #2.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-07, 16:31

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1494614055
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2016-07-07, 16:31

I love this thread.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-08, 06:45

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:you seem angry.

According to you we're all angry. You're the island of tranquility in a sea of anger. Or you're a fruitcake. I vote for option #2.
Mio and area Doings - Page 5 502811600

dude, you're just fun to needle at - you take it so seriously. It's just a message board.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-08, 12:42

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 502811600

dude, you're just fun to needle at - you take it so seriously. It's just a message board.

You think you know so much and the reality is that you know very little.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-08, 12:44

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Mio and area Doings - Page 5 502811600

You think you know so much and the reality is that you know very little.
you seem angry.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-10, 09:33

Hell, it's big time!

And area attraction featured earlier in this thread made the Free Press today.

Up North, a town fabricated from junk honors John Wayne

LEWISTON — It was high noon. The sun shone hot. The whiskey was flowing.

“Come on in!” hollered Spike Cooper, standing behind the bar of his saloon, Spike’s Tavern, located in Coopers Ville USA, a town that doesn’t really exist.

Inside the small, wood-plank saloon were two couples who’d sought this place out, made their way down the town’s main street, walked into the saloon and were suddenly chasing unforeseen shots of Fireball whiskey with cans of beer offered by Cooper, the town’s 71-year-old mayor and sole resident.

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 636037033265015206-061216-coopersville-rg-01
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-11, 07:47

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 Oldonthephone1_small-620x230

MIO, Michigan - Area Woman Gets First Look at Cutting-Edge Technology

In what can only be described as a historic day in Mio, area woman Edith Clapsaddle, 93, single-handedly brought her hometown into a post 1980's era as she displayed a hand held cellular device at a local gathering place. Edith had recently visited her great, great, great granddaughter in Sarasota, Florida when she returned with what appeared to be a remote control device for a television. All eyes were on her as she rolled into the Nip-N-Sip in her mechanical chair with what we later found out was a telephone. In a display that many will remember for their remaining days and weeks, Edith actually called her great, great, great granddaughter to show her friends how the device worked.

Edith will be available to answer questions about her telephone tomorrow between 4:00 - 5:00 AM at the Mio Cut-N-Curl. The telephone will be available for use during this time, if you would like a demonstration.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-07-11, 09:44

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1468093814_07ae

Roosting the competition

COMINS TWP. — The roar of four-strokes and bittersweet scent of two-strokes filled the air as dirt bike riders from across the Great Lakes region took part in the Single-Track Off-Road Events’ Baby Bear Family Enduro in Fairview July 9.

The action will intensify July 10 with the roughly 60-mile Grizzly Bear Enduro, sanctioned by the American Motorcyclist Association District 14 Series. The event is for riders 16 and older. Participants must be registered with AMA District 14, which can be done on scene. The entry fee is $50 at the site, which is Joel Yoder’s farm, located at 1829 N. Weaver Rd. in Fairview.

Mio and area Doings - Page 5 1468093754_b262
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next