Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EL sucks: proof #1,254,327

+15
I.B. Fine
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Nordic
steveschneider
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
xsanguine
WhiteBoyHatcher
Blanch32
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
CORNER BLITZ
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

EL sucks: proof #1,254,327 Empty EL sucks: proof #1,254,327

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-05-27, 11:42

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2016/05/25/where-do-bars-fit-east-lansings-future/84347674/

What a sad article
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

EL sucks: proof #1,254,327 Empty Re: EL sucks: proof #1,254,327

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-05-27, 11:45

If the vote were taken today, it would almost certainly go the other way. Three seats on the council turned over in November, and the new majority is less enchanted with businesses they believe cater solely to college students.

lolz, students spend more money in that town than permanent residents I bet.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-05-27, 11:46

Awaiting Blanch's insightful commentary.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-05-27, 11:47

If you're at the reading limit here it is

Where do bars fit in East Lansing's future?

EAST LANSING – A line of Michigan State University students gathered outside Tin Can on Grand River Avenue, IDs ready.

It was the Thursday afternoon before graduation. The bar was already uncomfortably packed, with patrons filling every table, bar and wall space available. For many, finals week was over, and it was a time to celebrate at a bar that owner Doug Johns Jr. has called “Chuck E. Cheese for adults.”
The East Lansing City Council barely allowed The Tin Can to open last fall, approving a special use permit on a 3-2 vote in October. Bars and restaurants need such permits to operate. The Tin Can is at 313 E. Grand River Ave., the former site of State Side Deli & Pub.

If the vote were taken today, it would almost certainly go the other way. Three seats on the council turned over in November, and the new majority is less enchanted with businesses they believe cater solely to college students.

"It’s exactly what we don’t need downtown," said Councilman Erik Altmann, who was elected in November. "That license should have never been granted in the first place. There’s already an undue concentration of bars downtown."
Think of it as another chapter in East Lansing's long and conflicted relationship with its downtown bars.
"We're trying to create a new strip (downtown)," said Mayor Pro Tem Ruth Beier, who voted against the Tin Can in October. "We're crowding out new establishments if we keep allowing the same things in."

Beier would like to see grocery stores, offices and more diverse housing options for families and seniors.

"The perception of downtown is that its more of a college bar scene," said Mayor Mark Meadows. "There's more 18- to 24-year-old foot traffic. Some businesses ended up closing because there was less older foot traffic and were replaced by restaurants catering to the younger crowd."

Meadows said he isn't against new bars opening, but he wants them to "offer opportunities for all age groups to stop in and enjoy themselves."

That's why, when The Tin Can applied for an entertainment license in April, asking to offer darts, water pong and table games, the council denied the request 5-0. Many council members were turned off by the fact that the bar had been advertising pudding shots and Faygo bombs on its front windows along with the slogan "good beer, cheap friends."
“This was an opportunity to prevent a problem from getting worse,” said Altmann, shortly after the request was denied. "If it came back with a proposal to broaden its business plan, maybe we could have a discussion."

In reality, that discussion was based on a misunderstanding, Beier said. A bar only needs an entertainment license to host competitive games with prizes such as trivia or darts. Water pong and table games are allowed as long as there are no prizes offered by the bar.

However, adding games that are based around drinking made council question whether Tin Can could continually meet the requirements of the city's three-decade-old 50/50 rule, which requires half of a bar's revenue to come from food sales. Operating from 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. on weekdays, the bar is already missing out on the lunch crowd, when food sales typically outweigh alcohol sales. It opens at noon on Saturday and Sunday.
If a bar doesn’t meet the requirement, it is ticketed and fined. If it gets six citations in two years, the city council could revoke a bar's business license, said Tim Dempsey, East Lansing’s planning, building and development director.

"Doing this makes sure these places don't turn into student bars," Meadows said. "How some of these places are making the number is always a mystery to me."

To date, no bar has had its license revoked by council for too many citations, said Darcy Schmitt, East Lansing’s planning and zoning administrator, in an email. However, bars have received citations in the past.
During planning commission meetings in August, Johns assured that commission members that “We’re going to push the food."

“I can’t make them eat," he said, "but we’re certainly going to try.”

Johns declined to comment for this story.
Tin Can opened in late February. It did not meet the 50/50 rule for March. Just 46 percent of its revenues came from food sales, according to a report filed with the city. However, the bar will not be cited by police because it didn't have a full three months of data, Dempsey said. Only if a bar fails to meet the requirement for a full quarter can it be cited, he said. Its next reporting cycle is April through June.

Scott Ellis is the executive director of the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association, a lobbying group serving restaurant and bar owners. He believes East Lansing's approach in dealing with bars harms business growth, especially the 50/50 rule.

"I do believe it can be restricting," said Ellis. "To limit someone's business model is detrimental to success. I know potential bar owners who won't open in East Lansing."

Spencer Soka opened the State Side Deli & Pub in East Lansing in 2010 solely as a restaurant. He got a liquor license in 2013 to "increase the quality of the atmosphere," he wrote in a letter to council in July 2013. When he later asked council to extend his closing time from 12 a.m. to 2 a.m., he was denied.

"They didn't feel it was appropriate," Soka said, sitting in a booth at his State Side Deli restaurant in Okemos. "Then they contradicted themselves by allowing Tin Can to get a 2 a.m. license."

The Tin Can occupies the same downtown storefront. Soka sold the restaurant last summer because he couldn't compete with bars allowed to stay open later, he said. He also received two violations on his liquor license.

"My only competition was from the city," he said. "We had to cut ourselves short because of what the city allowed us to do."

The request was denied because the council's argument was that "we have plenty of 2 a.m. bars down there and we don't really need another one," Beier said.

The council denied Tin Can's request for an entertainment license for similar reasons.

Councilwoman Susan Woods, who voted in favor of Tin Can in October, voted against the entertainment license request in April because she felt the bar was misrepresenting what Johns had originally promised, and water pong was never mentioned before.

“When they first applied for a (special use permit) license … they said it was not going to be like the Tin Cans in DeWitt and Lansing.”

The other four Tin Can locations only offer appetizers and small dishes. The East Lansing location has a burger menu, as well.

"I realize it's not everyone's 'cup of tea' but we are a legitimate restaurant (and) bar that prides itself on being a responsible and valuable addition to the communities that we operate in," Johns wrote in an April 25 email to councilwoman Shanna Draheim.

Beier ended up meeting with Johns earlier this month to address her concerns. One of the bar's biggest opponents came away with a more optimistic look. In the fall, Tin Can will open for lunch to help meet the 50/50 rule, she said.

"I was surprised at how serious he was," she said, "He's ready to embrace it and I think he can do it. At this point we need to decide whether we want to help this business succeed, if it's going to be something that adds value to downtown. If it doesn't work, we'll have a problem."

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-05-27, 11:49

If you're at the reading limit, clear your LSJ cookies, problem solved.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 11:54

"Beier would like to see grocery stores, offices and more diverse housing options for families and seniors."

Grocery stores? Not enough people live downtown to support a grocery store.

Housing for families? Why would anyone with a family want to live in a condo/apartment in downtown EL?

Offices would help support a lunch crowd. But parking?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-05-27, 11:54

Floyd Robertson wrote:

lolz, students spend more money in that town than permanent residents I bet.

I do my part.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 11:59

Turtleneck wrote:Awaiting Blanch's insightful commentary.

Do I really need to say anything? Lol

Is wingnutjim around anymore to convince any of how great El is to live?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-05-27, 11:59

What has always baffled me is why would someone move to East Lansing if they were not willing to embrace the University culture, students included? The council must represent the agenda of the permanent residents, I just don't understand how logically the residents aren't like "well it's a college town, sooo...." every time they find themselves irritated that another college bar is opened.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:00

NigelUno wrote:"Beier would like to see grocery stores, offices and more diverse housing options for families and seniors."

Housing for families? Why would anyone with a family want to live in a condo/apartment in downtown EL?

Even nigel gets it!

Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What has always baffled me is why would someone move to East Lansing if they were not willing to embrace the University culture, students included? The council must represent the agenda of the permanent residents, I just don't understand how logically the residents aren't like "well it's a college town, sooo...." every time they find themselves irritated that another college bar is opened.

Ftr, I believe it's the same old farts that never left el, and long for the days the city was dry. They all should be dying off within the next 20 years
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:03

....and these same very people are the reason no one will move there. Especially not with the better schools right there in Okemos
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:06

The biggest appeal of any college town is the bars/restaurants. To ignore (or to actively campaign against) it is just stupid. Bad economics.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-27, 12:08

Must be one of those society wide problems TN and I were discussing in the off-topic forum. Sounds like coercion works pretty well for the minority that get to benefit from the mone the students spend in their town... They just don't want them spending their money the way the student's would like to and which merchants are willing to provide. Viva la government!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:What has always baffled me is why would someone move to East Lansing if they were not willing to embrace the University culture, students included? The council must represent the agenda of the permanent residents, I just don't understand how logically the residents aren't like "well it's a college town, sooo...." every time they find themselves irritated that another college bar is opened.

Tin Can is on Grand River. It has virtually zero impact on any resident of the city (as do most or all bars/restaurants downtown). They can't see it from their houses. They can't hear it from their houses. Seems like more bars would equal less house parties (which would be a bigger nuisance to residents).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:14

xsanguine wrote:Must be one of those society wide problems TN and I were discussing in the off-topic forum. Sounds like coercion works pretty well for the minority that get to benefit from the mone the students spend in their town... They just don't want them spending their money the way the student's would like to and which merchants are willing to provide. Viva la government!

I'm guessing some of the bars (and owners) are big fans of the 'no more bars' nonsense.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-27, 12:16

A strip club would probably do well downtown too, x. But I'm sure the bourgeoisie would quash that. What right do they have to decide what kind of town they want to live in, anyway?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-27, 12:18

I was at the Tin Can last weekend.. Blatz, Hamm's, 24 oz Old Styles.. what's not to like?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:19

Rocinante wrote:A strip club would probably do well downtown too, x. But I'm sure the bourgeoisie would quash that. What right do they have to decide what kind of town they want to live in, anyway?

Apparently, they want to live in a dead/dying town.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-05-27, 12:24

NigelUno wrote:
Rocinante wrote:A strip club would probably do well downtown too, x. But I'm sure the bourgeoisie would quash that. What right do they have to decide what kind of town they want to live in, anyway?

That's their right. All university towns have this struggle. EL's real problem is that it's too linear. The university campus isn't integrated enough with the city. It's like MSU |grand river Ave| East Lansing. That dividing line causes most of the problem in my opinion. It was poorly planned.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:29

Rocinante wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That's their right.  All university towns have this struggle.  EL's real problem is that it's too linear.  The university campus isn't integrated enough with the city.  It's like MSU |grand river Ave| East Lansing.  That dividing line causes most of the problem in my opinion.  It was poorly planned.

Agreed.  And the dividing line is mostly used as a fast way to get through EL by non-residents.

The Grand River corridor needs a complete redevelopment.

One of EL's biggest issues is that it's never really embraced a post-grad market.

Last edited by NigelUno on 2016-05-27, 12:30; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:29

NigelUno wrote:The biggest appeal of any college town is the bars/restaurants. To ignore (or to actively campaign against) it is just stupid. Bad economics.

You mean it's not grocery stores and unique culture shops?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-27, 12:32

I think East Lansing would improve significantly if tGreenWay and I were to enjoy the fruits of gay marriage and move to Vermont and open that B&B we've always talked about.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:33

NigelUno wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Must be one of those society wide problems TN and I were discussing in the off-topic forum. Sounds like coercion works pretty well for the minority that get to benefit from the mone the students spend in their town... They just don't want them spending their money the way the student's would like to and which merchants are willing to provide. Viva la government!

I'm guessing some of the bars (and owners) are big fans of the 'no more bars' nonsense.

Of course muffy was. He thought the competition was stiff enough to barely make it.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:34

Btw nigel, ever been to athens? If so, what's your thoughts?
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-27, 12:34

They do. They can choose to live or not to live in that town. Or they can get a collection of individuals together, find their own plot of land and create the subdivision of their dreams, sans strip clubs. But when you rely on the student's money for all of their luxuries... But only the luxuries they want, not what the students who are spending their money and creating this luxurious environment for the year round residents... Isn't there a bit of disconnect?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:36

NigelUno wrote:

... if only marshall, mi had msu sports and Wharton 10 mins away....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:38

Rocinante wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

That's their right. All university towns have this struggle. EL's real problem is that it's too linear. The university campus isn't integrated enough with the city. It's like MSU |grand river Ave| East Lansing. That dividing line causes most of the problem in my opinion. It was poorly planned.

Yea that's a huge problem.

Sincerely,

Athens and state college
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-27, 12:38

Or let the students keep their business on "their side of the tracks" and create bars/clubs, whatever on the property they live on.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-05-27, 12:39

The residents want all of the perks that come with having 40k+ students spending their money in their town but don't actually want the students and their activities in their town. It's entitlement.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-05-27, 12:40

That town seriously has no clue. Glad I went there when I did, it was a magical place and some of the best years of my life.

Seems like there's some neighborhoods more down around Michigan avenue towards the old Silver Dollar. Seems like back in those residential areas is the best place to live if you want to avoid the student thing.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:41

xsanguine wrote:

They do. They can choose to live or not to live in that town. Or they can get a collection of individuals together, find their own plot of land and create the subdivision of their dreams, sans strip clubs. But when you rely on the student's money for all of their luxuries... But only the luxuries they want, not what the students who are spending their money and creating this luxurious environment for the year round residents... Isn't there a bit of disconnect?

Fun fact: name the only state capital with a major university that hasn't experienced significant growth in the past 30 or so years....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-05-27, 12:42

I enjoy hurdling the vomit puddles on Grand River on my pre-dawn runs.. adds a unique fitness component to an otherwise steady-state aerobic activity.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:43

xsanguine wrote:Or let the students keep their business on "their side of the tracks" and create bars/clubs, whatever on the property they live on.

I think that was the Bath Twp. experiment.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:43

xsanguine wrote:Or let the students keep their business on "their side of the tracks" and create bars/clubs, whatever on the property they live on.

Fwiw, this is kinda how ann Arbor is set up and it definitely has worked.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I enjoy hurdling the vomit puddles on Grand River on my pre-dawn runs.. adds a unique fitness component to an otherwise steady-state aerobic activity.

If only el had 20K more Bobs like you....m
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-05-27, 12:45

During planning commission meetings in August, Johns assured that commission members that “We’re going to push the food."

Why does Johns want everyone to be so fat?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-05-27, 12:48

Nordic wrote:

The 50/50 rule is laughable. There's no way that bars actually meet that rule.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2016-05-27, 12:52

NigelUno wrote:"Beier would like to see grocery stores, offices and more diverse housing options for families and seniors."

I like the part about seniors. Always seen tons of older folk cruising around EL...
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-05-27, 12:54

NigelUno wrote:
Nordic wrote:

The 50/50 rule is laughable. There's no way that bars actually meet that rule.

The state of nc has the same rule. Otherwise, you need to be a "private club"
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next