Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization

+5
GRR Spartan
AnomanderRake
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
Turtleneck
9 posters

Go down

The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization Empty The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-29, 12:12

As Adults Legally Smoke Pot In Colorado, More Minority Kids Arrested For It
"Police do patrol more in neighborhoods of color, and they also get more calls to respond in neighborhoods of color," he says. And when police show up and find kids illegally in possession of marijuana, they're obligated to do something about it.

Humphreys theorizes that the marijuana businesses themselves may be playing a role in who gets arrested.

"The emerging legal marijuana industry is overwhelmingly white-owned and white-dominated, and provides good access to white customers," he says. "So one possibility is that that leaves the illegal market disproportionately composed of people of color, both the buyers and the sellers."

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/29/483954157/as-adults-legally-smoke-pot-in-colorado-more-minority-kids-arrested-for-it?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=us

Last month, drug journalist Ioan Grillo's New York Times op-ed about free trade in the cannabis industry painted a dire picture. He said despite the shift toward legalization, black market weed still comes from Mexico. "The profits pay the cartels' assassins, as well as corrupt police officers and soldiers, who discard piles of bodies across Mexico," Grillo wrote. I asked him how much violence could be traced to marijuana and he told me, "[Cartel] violence can't really be separated out by drugs—if that makes sense."

It does, but according to Stephen Mumme, professor of political science at Colorado State University, specializing in US-Mexican relations, in addition to violence, there's also the treatment of growers to consider. Mexican marijuana often comes from "scrappy little valleys that are hard to get to, tucked away where very poor campesinos work for not much remuneration from the industry," he told VICE.

Violence against the farmers is underreported, Mumme explained, but that they're doing business with narcos, and "the narcos have a pretty heavy hand." Fortunately, legal marijuana north of the border has been driving down profits, along with weed production and smuggling in Mexico. But as long as desperate, rural farmers are a cheap source of weed, "there will always be some production," Mumme said.

And that's where some nasty exploitation in the weed biz rears its head. "We see the use of Mexican nationals and other foreign-born folks like the Hmong people," said Silvaggio of the workforce in Humboldt County, California, where much of America's weed comes from. Immigrant laborers make up a large portion of the workers known as "trimmigrants," and to hear Silvaggio tell it, they take on the shittiest workload.

An anecdote from Silvaggio about foreign trimmigants—who are paid by volume of output—is telling, if not especially shocking:

"The Hmong work faster and cheaper than everyone else. They're given the crappiest weed to trim. For example, if you have a thousand pounds for your white workers to trim, and half of it has mildew and small buds, you'll get a bunch of workers quitting and complaining immediately. The Hmong, however, are gonna work through that. And they'll work through it for $50 a pound. That's their job. The white workers will head out onto the street and find another gig."

According to Sanho Tree, director of the Drug Policy Project at the Institute for Policy Studies, working your fingers to the bone isn't the only hazard of weed work. "Batch after batch after batch is getting rejected for unapproved pesticides," Tree said, referring to Colorado marijuana that's newly being subjected to consumer safety tests. It turns out your hippie uncle with the pot farm may have been exaggerating about how green his buds were. "For all these years, all these organic growers have been lying about labelling," Tree said.

https://www.vice.com/read/how-unethical-is-buying-weed
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization Empty Re: The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-29, 19:01

With regards to minority kids getting busted more.... that conundrum sucks. Obviously you have to have a heavier police presence where crime is much more frequent, it just sucks that those kids will still get caught up in that cycle many of us were hoping they could break out of with legalization.

What can you do? I doubt anyone is going to be for legalization without age restrictions.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization Empty Re: The ethics of marijuana in the age of legalization

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-06-30, 00:36

Sounds like the more legalization the less Mexico weed the less violence etc around the border. Anything towards ending the drug war is a positive.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-06-30, 00:46

Weed grown in the U.S. is much better quality, and there is plenty enough grown here to have driven down demand for Mexican weed. The cartels make big money trafficking other drugs and people. Thanks to the eight ball in your pocket some guy got decapitated.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-06-30, 08:58

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Sounds like the more legalization the less Mexico weed the less violence etc around the border. Anything towards ending the drug war is a positive.

That's true but it's only legal for adults. For minors that live in high crime areas (usually black neighorhoods) nothing has changed and they're still getting a record for possessing a plant. So you have black kids doing exactly the same thing as their white/Hispanic/Asian/etc counterparts but because the black kids are unlucky enough to live in rough neighborhoods getting punished for it. That's going to affect their perspective into adulthood.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2016-07-01, 10:45

Turn it into a small civil infraction for minors. Make them do community service or something I don't care just don't send them to jail or pay exorbitant fines.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-01-11, 21:53

Survey: Two-thirds of cops say marijuana laws should be relaxed
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/01/11/survey-two-thirds-of-cops-say-marijuana-laws-should-be-relaxed/?utm_term=.ca58af628186
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-11, 22:45

Will the new AG take a state's rights stance on legalization or continue the catch 22 where you're legal until the feds say you are not.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2017-01-11, 22:50

GRR Spartan wrote:Will the new AG take a state's rights stance on legalization or continue the catch 22 where you're legal until the feds say you are not.
Isn't he going to try top take apart roe vs wade by saying it's a state issue? Then try to argue weed is a federal issue? Fucking hypocrite.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-11, 22:50

GRR Spartan wrote:Will the new AG take a state's rights stance on legalization or continue the catch 22 where you're legal until the feds say you are not.

I have a feeling they'll be continuing the catch 22.

I'm still holding out hope that Obama will give an 11th hour executive order for federal legalization. What can I say, I'm a dreamer.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-11, 23:06

Mexi ditch weed can't compete so now it is all about heroin
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-11, 23:08

Herbie Green wrote:Mexi ditch weed can't compete so now it is all about heroin

Mmmm.... that sounds good.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2017-01-11, 23:08

Serious question - what is the actual risk of getting my card in Michigan? I am talking about real life and lists and employers and such
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-11, 23:15

Herbie Green wrote:Serious question - what is the actual risk of getting my card in Michigan? I am talking about real life and lists and employers and such

There's nothing to be worried about. It's a medical thing so no one can access that information (legally) meaning employers won't be able to find out about it. Last I read it does disqualify you from obtaining your concealed carry permit if that's something you're into.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-01-12, 00:14

The penalty for a kid getting caught with weed should be less than the penalty for getting caught with cigarettes.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-12, 00:15

Cameron wrote:The penalty for a kid getting caught with weed should be less than the penalty for getting caught with cigarettes.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree but what's yer logic behind this, Cameron?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-01-12, 00:28

xsanguine wrote:
Cameron wrote:The penalty for a kid getting caught with weed should be less than the penalty for getting caught with cigarettes.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree but what's yer logic behind this, Cameron?

The point of penalizing such behavior is deterrence. It is more important to deter cigarette use than underage use of weed. If weed is penalized more harshly (or equally), it sends a message that weed is worse than (or equally as bad as) cigarettes.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-12, 13:11

So businesses dont want to open up in inner cities?

Um, no shit?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-12, 13:12

AnomanderRake wrote:Turn it into a small civil infraction for minors. Make them do community service or something I don't care just don't send them to jail or pay exorbitant fines.

You think minors get sent to jail for being caught with a blunt?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-12, 13:14

xsanguine wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Sounds like the more legalization the less Mexico weed the less violence etc around the border. Anything towards ending the drug war is a positive.

That's true but it's only legal for adults. For minors that live in high crime areas (usually black neighorhoods) nothing has changed and they're still getting a record for possessing a plant. So you have black kids doing exactly the same thing as their white/Hispanic/Asian/etc counterparts but because the black kids are unlucky enough to live in rough neighborhoods getting punished for it. That's going to affect their perspective into adulthood.

My question is, how are they getting caught? Are they just openly walking around the streets smoking pot? Sounds like thats the case. Not very smart to be openly breaking drug laws in public.

I smoked weed in high school every now and then. I didnt walk the streets doing it so any cop could easily apprehend me.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2017-01-12, 14:48

Will return to this thread but indica is more of a body high and sativa is in your head. I've been leaning more towards indica lately. Sativa can make me over analyze and over think everything.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-01-12, 15:59

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Will return to this thread but indica is more of a body high and sativa is in your head. I've been leaning more towards indica lately.  Sativa can make me over analyze and over think everything.
Pretty much this. People who use it medicinally would typically use indicas for insomnia, to name one example.

I like to mix it up, myself. Variety is the spice of life.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-01-12, 16:02

The_Dude wrote:My question is, how are they getting caught?  Are they just openly walking around the streets smoking pot?  Sounds like thats the case.  Not very smart to be openly breaking drug laws in public.
Based on?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2017-01-12, 16:35

Cameron wrote:
The_Dude wrote:My question is, how are they getting caught?  Are they just openly walking around the streets smoking pot?  Sounds like thats the case.  Not very smart to be openly breaking drug laws in public.
Based on?

How else are they getting caught?

Cops are kicking in doors randomly?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-01-12, 16:41

The_Dude wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Based on?

Cops probably get called about other stuff, then end up finding weed while looking into said other stuff. Just because you once smoked weed and didn't get caught, assuming that the only way to get busted with weed is to openly smoke it on the sidewalk is rather ignorant. In character for you? Sure, but still worth pointing out.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-12, 17:32

I spent a night at the precinct on E 11th st because me and a buddy were passing back and forth walking down the street. What a waste of taxpayer funds. Didn't even get a fine. Just had to show up at court and told not to do it again for 12 months. So besides having to sit and stare at a bum pissing himself in group lock up there was no punishment. It was an undercover sting, too, hahaha. Now apparently it's a ticket on the spot, no getting booked. But still ridiculous. Government, amirite?

I mix up not just indica/saliva but strains, too. Helps fight tolerance issues.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-01-12, 17:33

The_Dude wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Based on?

Stop and frisk. Either way, one should be able to smoke on a casual stroll down the street.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down