Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt

+4
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Motown Spartan
The_Dude
8 posters

Go down

The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt Empty The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-10, 13:09

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21652323-blue-collar-men-rich-countries-are-trouble-they-must-learn-adapt-weaker-sex

AT FIRST glance the patriarchy appears to be thriving. More than 90% of presidents and prime ministers are male, as are nearly all big corporate bosses. Men dominate finance, technology, films, sports, music and even stand-up comedy. In much of the world they still enjoy social and legal privileges simply because they have a Y chromosome. So it might seem odd to worry about the plight of men.

Yet there is plenty of cause for concern. Men cluster at the bottom as well as the top. They are far more likely than women to be jailed, estranged from their children, or to kill themselves. They earn fewer university degrees than women. Boys in the developed world are 50% more likely to flunk basic maths, reading and science entirely.

One group in particular is suffering (see article). Poorly educated men in rich countries have had difficulty coping with the enormous changes in the labour market and the home over the past half-century. As technology and trade have devalued brawn, less-educated men have struggled to find a role in the workplace. Women, on the other hand, are surging into expanding sectors such as health care and education, helped by their superior skills. As education has become more important, boys have also fallen behind girls in school (except at the very top). Men who lose jobs in manufacturing often never work again. And men without work find it hard to attract a permanent mate. The result, for low-skilled men, is a poisonous combination of no job, no family and no prospects.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt Empty Re: The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt

Post by Motown Spartan 2016-08-10, 13:11

Which is why Trump is in the position that he is in.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt Empty Re: The Economist: blue collar men in wealthy countries are in trouble if they do not adapt

Post by Death Roe 2016-08-10, 13:12

Wrong sub-forum, fuckface.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-10, 13:19

Death Roe wrote:Wrong sub-forum, fuckface.

How is this political?

Are we incapable of talking about an economist article without making partisan political comments?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 13:23

The_Dude wrote:http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21652323-blue-collar-men-rich-countries-are-trouble-they-must-learn-adapt-weaker-sex

AT FIRST glance the patriarchy appears to be thriving. More than 90% of presidents and prime ministers are male, as are nearly all big corporate bosses. Men dominate finance, technology, films, sports, music and even stand-up comedy. In much of the world they still enjoy social and legal privileges simply because they have a Y chromosome. So it might seem odd to worry about the plight of men.

Yet there is plenty of cause for concern. Men cluster at the bottom as well as the top. They are far more likely than women to be jailed, estranged from their children, or to kill themselves. They earn fewer university degrees than women. Boys in the developed world are 50% more likely to flunk basic maths, reading and science entirely.

One group in particular is suffering (see article). Poorly educated men in rich countries have had difficulty coping with the enormous changes in the labour market and the home over the past half-century. As technology and trade have devalued brawn, less-educated men have struggled to find a role in the workplace. Women, on the other hand, are surging into expanding sectors such as health care and education, helped by their superior skills. As education has become more important, boys have also fallen behind girls in school (except at the very top). Men who lose jobs in manufacturing often never work again. And men without work find it hard to attract a permanent mate. The result, for low-skilled men, is a poisonous combination of no job, no family and no prospects.

Is this just occurring to you? Everyone here already knows you're going to die a lonely, bitter, racist man.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-10, 13:31

tGreenWay wrote:
The_Dude wrote:http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21652323-blue-collar-men-rich-countries-are-trouble-they-must-learn-adapt-weaker-sex

Is this just occurring to you? Everyone here already knows you're going to die a lonely, bitter, racist man.

Good thing I have a college degree from MSU and took control of my own future by working for myself in a white collar industry thats doing pretty well.

But you otoh, being middle aged and bitter for never achieving anything must suck ass.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-08-10, 13:33

The_Dude wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Good thing I have a college degree from MSU and took control of my own future by working for myself in a white collar industry thats doing pretty well.

But you otoh, being middle aged and bitter for never achieving anything must suck ass.

YAFI. Jesus, you're clueless
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-10, 13:36

DWags wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Who are you, Greenways henchman?

Poor baby can dish it but cant take it?

Jesus you are a fucking idiot.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-08-10, 13:50

The_Dude wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Professional MGoBoard poster is not a job.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2016-08-10, 14:28

The_Dude wrote:
DWags wrote:

Who are you, Greenways henchman?

Poor baby can dish it but cant take it?

Jesus you are a fucking idiot.

CAKEWALK
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-08-10, 14:30

wait a second..

poorly educated people living in wealthy countries have a difficult time coping within the context of the labor market?

is the selection committee for the Nobel Prize in Economics aware of this assessment? If not, they should be.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 17:02

The_Dude wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Sure you do. In other news, Kate Upton is sucking my cock as I type this right now.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-10, 17:09

tGreenWay wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Sure you do. In other news, Kate Upton is sucking my cock as I type this right now.

Poor baby likes to make shit up about people but gets mad when his own medicine is served. Lol

Enjoy your shinebox
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 17:24

The_Dude wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Poor baby likes to make shit up about people but gets mad when his own medicine is served. Lol

Enjoy your shinebox

Enjoy your Downriver Community College degree. Or did you drop out before getting all the credits? I'd ask you to hold the door for me, but I don't shop at Walmart.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-08-10, 19:05

I wish you would not denigrate community colleges like that, Greenway.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-10, 22:50

Turtleneck wrote:I wish you would not denigrate community colleges like that, Greenway.

It was actually much more an indictment of Downriver, Turtleneck.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down