Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard Rock Stadium

+5
The_Dude
InTenSity
CheesySpartan
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
9 posters

Go down

Hard Rock Stadium Empty Hard Rock Stadium

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-16, 18:34

Where's that you ask? Miami, of course.

Dolphins Newly Renovated Home To Be Called Hard Rock Stadium

Hard Rock Stadium Stadium-renovation-rendering

Presser, 2PM tomorrow to make the announcement.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Hard Rock Stadium Empty Re: Hard Rock Stadium

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-16, 18:42

That roof looks like it would take off like a kite in a Class 5 hurricane
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-08-16, 19:34

The Pantry wrote:That roof looks like it would take off like a kite in a Class 5 hurricane

If we're talking CAT 5 it doesnt matter how they build it...but the lift potential on that overhang looks like trouble in a CAT 3
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-16, 20:03

I'll guarantee it'll meet or beat hurricane code down here. They don't Fuck around anymore.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-08-16, 20:06

Kewl
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-08-16, 20:08

Kind of reminds me of Denver International.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-16, 20:18

They should've named it after me and called it Rock Hard Stadium.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2016-08-16, 20:27

InTenSity wrote:I'll guarantee it'll meet or beat hurricane code down here. They don't Fuck around anymore.

Remember those levees in New Orleans were good to go as well....;-)
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-16, 20:48

CheesySpartan wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I'll guarantee it'll meet or beat hurricane code down here. They don't Fuck around anymore.

Remember those levees in New Orleans were good to go as well....;-)
Those Levee's weren't built post Andrew. I'll bet since then, there have been improvements. I'll take pictures of the stadium though sometime this fall.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-08-16, 21:32

Wait for shards to hit your home and report back.

Mother Nature is a very brutal bitch
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-08-17, 08:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:Where's that you ask? Miami, of course.

While not being a structural engineer, I did do a lot of hurricane force testing at my old job dealing with windows. You can adequately test hurricane force winds even on something as large as that structure. There are very stringent codes just in Miami-Dade county for stuff like this.

I'd be more worried of being caught on the top levels during a normal storm. Wind speed increases the higher up you are, and it increases even more when being funneled though a relatively narrow flat space. Just like what is being proposed in that picture.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2016-08-17, 08:20; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS 2016-08-17, 08:16

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

While not being a structural engineer, I did do a lot of hurricane force testing at my old job dealing with windows. You can adequately test hurricane force winds even something as large as that structure. There are very stringent codes just in Miami-Dade county for stuff like this.

I'd be more worried of being caught on the top levels during a normal storm. Wind speed increases the higher up you are, and it increases even more when being funneled though a relatively narrow flat space. Just like what is being proposed in that picture.

Plus mosquitoes can fly that high. ZIKA!
TheReal_LWS
TheReal_LWS
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-08-17, 13:02

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

While not being a structural engineer, I did do a lot of hurricane force testing at my old job dealing with windows. You can adequately test hurricane force winds even on something as large as that structure. There are very stringent codes just in Miami-Dade county for stuff like this.

You also want a breeze to be able to get into there, which is I think why they left open space between the top of the upper deck and the roof (photo of what it will look like from the inside is below).

The roof will help the fans a lot, especially through October or so before the weather really starts to break, as well as for summer events like soccer games.  If it was a daytime game that I was going to, I would always try to get seats in the Southern/Western areas of the stadium, as the sun is brutal.  There will still be some areas that will get peak sun, but most will be better off.  Wish they would have done a full retractable roof, though, so they could have air conditioning.  Even night games are pretty uncomfortable when it's still 85 degrees and humid as fuck.  

Hard Rock Stadium Sun-Life-Stadium-New-Look-jpg_664146_ver1.0_1280_720

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2016-08-17, 14:19; edited 1 time in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-17, 14:03

Damn, I'm old. It feels like Joe Robbie Stadium was around for only a cup of coffee. Or is this a different place? There's so many damn stadiums in SoFla.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-17, 14:16

tGreenWay wrote:Damn, I'm old. It feels like Joe Robbie Stadium was around for only a cup of coffee. Or is this a different place? There's so many damn stadiums in SoFla.
Same place, its had about 3 or 4 different names since I've been in Miami. I've only been here for about 9 years.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-08-17, 14:21

InTenSity wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Damn, I'm old. It feels like Joe Robbie Stadium was around for only a cup of coffee. Or is this a different place? There's so many damn stadiums in SoFla.
Same place, its had about 3 or 4 different names since I've been in Miami. I've only been here for about 9 years.

That's what I thought. Wasn't the place built ~10-12 years ago, and it's already being remodeled? Crazy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2016-08-17, 14:31

tGreenWay wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

That's what I thought. Wasn't the place built ~10-12 years ago, and it's already being remodeled? Crazy.
I think it was built in the 70's or 80's. I'll keep that line in there. It was built in 87. Wikipedia link
The facility opened in 1987 as Joe Robbie Stadium and has been known by a number of names since: it has been called Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Dolphin Stadium, Land Shark Stadium, Sun Life Stadium. The stadium's naming rights deal with Sun Life Financial expired in January 2016, and the Sun Life signs were removed one month later; it was reported that Hard Rock Cafe bought the naming rights to the stadium on August 16, 2016, making the new name of the stadium Hard Rock Stadium
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-08-17, 14:32

InTenSity wrote:
Let's see how my memory is, off the top of my head, it was Pro Player for quite a while, then ran through a few names in a relatively short period of times, such as (in no particular order) Sun Life, Landshark, and just Dolphins Stadium when they haven't been had a sponsor. I almost feel like there is one that I'm forgetting, but not sure.

I'll be interested to see if the partial roof gives it more of an intimate feel. It always felt too big, what with about 25-30 yards between each sideline and the stands.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2016-08-17, 14:50

Looks like the roof is already starting to pay off.  Hopefully they'll get some good opponents, because Brazil's national team is, at best, mediocre (despite their Olympic team--which is different than their national team--beating up on mighty Honduras today).

Brazil national soccer team will play 6-7 games in Miami over next several years in new partnership with newly named Hard Rock Stadium.— Greg Cote (@gregcote) August 17, 2016
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down