Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it.

4 posters

Go down

V.I.P Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Mailbag: Why Michigan State isn't getting the respect it deserves

Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it. 082416-CFB-MarkDantonio1-PI.vadapt.980.high.4

If you were to base your expectations for the upcoming college football season only on reading what is available online, watching TV and listening to sports radio, would you ever guess that Ohio State and Michigan are actually chasing Michigan State for big-dog status in the Big Ten, and not the other way around? I mean, like in a million years?

-- Matt, San Francisco

No, and I’m as guilty as anyone of contributing to that perception. I’ve devoted a whole lot of words and podcast minutes this offseason to the Buckeyes and Wolverines but very few to the program that’s won two of the past three conference titles and at least 11 games five of the past six years. Part of that is to be expected. Ohio State and Michigan are always going to get more coverage, good or bad, than Michigan State, due to the level of interest in both. And Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh are far more fascinating personalities, good and bad, than the purposefully bland but effective Mark Dantonio.

I assume Michigan State fans would be willing to forgive all that if I were to at least give the Spartans their due for on-field performance. But alas, there I was with my Big Ten preview last week going against my better judgment and picking Dantonio to go 8-4 and finish tied for third in the East with Penn State. Heck, a week later I’m a little perplexed myself why I’d have as much faith in James Franklin as I would Dantonio.

But frankly, I have my concerns. For one thing, the last time Dantonio went through a quarterback change, in 2012 after Kirk Cousins left, things did not go smoothly. Maybe fifth-year senior Tyler O’Connor makes this one easier. More pressingly, the Spartans are attempting to replace two All-American offensive linemen, tackle Jack Conklin and center Jack Allen, and one of the expected replacements, tackle Dennis Finley, has not fully recovered from breaking his leg last season. And lastly, Aaron Burbridge was the only receiver last year that truly possessed game-changing ability; now he’s gone.

In questioning Michigan State’s ability to reload at those positions, I fully admit I’m not giving it nearly the benefit of the doubt I probably should. But I’m also not blindly picking Ohio State and Michigan to finish above the Spartans. I know well what they’re both brining back, and I just like their potential a little better.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

V.I.P Re: Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it.

Post by The_Dude Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:38 pm

laying in the weeds.. Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it. 1833121890
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:47 pm

What the fuck does that even mean? After all that guy typed, what the fuck is the message? I am a fucking moran?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:What the fuck does that even mean? After all that guy typed, what the fuck is the message? I am a fucking moran?
It means that he can't get over Mandel regrets disrespect but stands by it. 3434560931 waiting for the GAME to mean something.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:55 pm

That's very fair imo
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down