Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding election results: What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide?

+3
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
tGreenWay
7 posters

Go down

Regarding election results:  What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide? Empty Regarding election results: What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide?

Post by tGreenWay Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 20:27

And does that even get discussed in an election with two unpopular candidates?
I ask because Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball has HRC doubling up on DJT. Of the election landslides I've been alive for, or at least old enough to remember, all have been total annihilation, specifically Reagan in '80 and then an even larger MoV in '84. But the Wikipedia and other definitions I've found on the web don't say they have to be 90%+ electoral wins, just a substantial victory.
I dont know why I'm even asking. Maybe it's just a mental exercise. Maybe I'm bored with the same shit we're getting from our rigged news media and looking for other things to discuss.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Regarding election results:  What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide? Empty Re: Regarding election results: What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide?

Post by xsanguine Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 22:01

Do they take into account the 40%+ of the population that doesn't vote?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Regarding election results:  What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide? Empty Re: Regarding election results: What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 22:09

xsanguine wrote:Do they take into account the 40%+ of the population that doesn't vote?

No.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 22:13

That's a shame
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 22:52

xsanguine wrote:That's a shame
They should vote.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:01

xsanguine wrote:Do they take into account the 40%+ of the population that doesn't vote?

How about we focus on the questions I asked before you do your Tokyo drift into something altogether fucking different, m'kay, pumpkin?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:02

tGreenWay wrote:

How about we focus on the questions I asked before you do your Tokyo drift into something altogether fucking different, m'kay, pumpkin?

Happy Halloween to you too!

Regarding election results:  What constitutes a mandate? How about a landslide? 1367528000_tumblr_loz095R82Z1r0zbwoo1_500
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:05

Nothing constitutes a mandate because the presidency is not a representative body, and in this election a Clinton landslide is more rejection of Trump than acceptance of Clinton.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:19; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:16

InTenSity wrote:
xsanguine wrote:That's a shame
They should vote.

In order to further attempt to legitimize a "mandate"?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:18

tGreenWay wrote:

I need clarification about your question before I can answer your question. You asked a question based on an assumption, sweet cakes. Is asking you a question about your question drifting to something altogether fucking different, hot head?

Last edited by xsanguine on Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:42; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:24

What is a mandate other than a media invented discussion topic? Like can Hillary take her mandate to Denny's and get free dessert??
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:28

It's buy one get one, but yeah kinda
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:30

Only in America do we need two desserts.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 23:35

I would consider 90% of eligible voters voting for one thing to be as close to a mandate as you could get. Trouble is, in the last election only 57% of eligible voters bothered voting for president. So unless Hillary gets north of 197 million votes, kind of hard to entertain the idea of a mandate with regards to potus. For reference, Obama got 63.5 million votes in 2012.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down