Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

+17
TheReal_LWS
MSU addict
GRR Spartan
Blanch32
tTy
Turtleneck
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
Dr. Strangelove
duffy munn
By-Tor
Jake from State Farm
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
Floyd Robertson
DWags
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  Empty Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

Post by DWags 2016-10-24, 18:09

They said nope. But that screams the Pistons are going downtown.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  Empty Re: Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-10-24, 18:11

It's a shame that the lifespan of an arena is now roughly 30 years.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.  Empty Re: Oakland county was asked to buy Palace for 384 million.

Post by Death Roe 2016-10-24, 18:14

Well, they could always share LCA with the Wings. I remember the first concepts showed a dual arena with the Pistons.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-24, 18:18

Death Roe wrote:Well, they could always share LCA with the Wings. I remember the first concepts showed a dual arena with the Pistons.

Gores has never denied wanting to join the red wings downtown. His only stipulation has been that the Pistons had to be equity partners.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-24, 18:27

Get the Pistons downtown. Auburn Hills is fucking awful.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-24, 18:33

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Get the Pistons downtown. Auburn Hills is fucking awful.

I'm only quoting this for irony. I now realize how much older I am than you OTPT. 30 years ago it was the absolute opposite of what was just said. "Get the pistons up to Auburn Hills......"

Wow, good for Detroit.

I do believe that mass transit tax is being bad mouthed by Oakland and Macomb execs and money is being spent to defeat it because they know it would be perfect for Red Wings, Pistons, Lions, Tigers game 365 days a year with traffic on it a beautiful thing.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2016-10-24, 19:41

DWags wrote:They said nope. But that screams the Pistons are going downtown.  

Good for Oakland County, no way should they saddle their citizens with a $384million albatross. If pro teams can pay players $20million each they can pay for their own stadium or arena.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-24, 19:47

Jake from State Farm wrote:
DWags wrote:They said nope. But that screams the Pistons are going downtown.  

Good for Oakland County, no way should they saddle their citizens with a $384million albatross. If pro teams can pay players $20million each they can pay for their own stadium or arena.

I don't know that the County should be the buyer.....but this article from a week ago argues it won't be an albatross.

No way Palace is a second Silverdome if Pistons move

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-24, 19:55

LooseGoose wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

I don't know that the County should be the buyer.....but this article from a week ago argues it won't be an albatross.

No way Palace is a second Silverdome if Pistons move

It's a pretty fun place for concerts. I've always enjoyed them there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-10-24, 20:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Get the Pistons downtown. Auburn Hills is fucking awful.
There's a nice Olive Garden in Auburn Hills.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-10-24, 20:07

Fuck.

I hope you are wrong Dwags.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-10-24, 20:48

Motherfucker paid $325 million for The Pistons and and Auburn Hills-based management company Palace Sports & Entertainment. PS&E includes 22,076-seat Palace of Auburn Hills and DTE Energy Music Theatre and holder of the contract to manage Meadow Brook Music Festival for Oakland University.

The PS&E unit is believed to collect about $70 million annually in revenue.

And he just bought a $100 million house in LA.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2016-10-24, 21:10

Was never fond of the name DTE Energy Music Theater. I still call it Pine Knob.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-24, 21:14

By-Tor wrote:
There's a nice Olive Garden in Auburn Hills.

lol!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-10-24, 21:36

duffy munn wrote:Fuck.

Why? Honest question- between traffic, parking, other atuff to do... I'd much rather they be downtown. I don't see a positive side to auburn hills.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-10-24, 21:40

Positive side = I can get there in 10 minutes. Can't say I go to a lot of Pistons games or other events there these days aside from Disney on Ice. But it's pretty sweet being able to get there quickly and easily. Like when MSU plays tourney games there and some and such.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-24, 21:41

Can we pool some money and buy The Palace? We can rename it tSwill Center.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-24, 21:43

I reached up to get a high five from Adrian Belew at a David Bowie concert and accidentally broke the high E guitar string on his guitar. Cut the fuck out of the thumb on my left hand..... They finished the song, and Bowie tried to get me up on stage, but security wouldn't allow it. He probably would have just tried to fuck me in the butt or something. I wouldn't have let him. Good concert. I still have the scar. I just tried to take a pic of it, but it won't show up on a fone cam. oh well....
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-24, 21:44

tTy wrote:I reached up to get a high five from Adrian Belew at a David Bowie concert and accidentally broke the high E guitar string on his guitar.  Cut the fuck out of the thumb on my left hand..... They finished the song, and Bowie tried to get me up on stage, but security wouldn't allow it.  He probably would have just tried to fuck me in the butt or something.  I wouldn't have let him.  Good concert.  I still have the scar.  I just tried to take a pic of it, but it won't show up on a fone cam.  oh well....

Nobody here believes that part of your post.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-24, 21:45

Turtleneck wrote:
tTy wrote:I reached up to get a high five from Adrian Belew at a David Bowie concert and accidentally broke the high E guitar string on his guitar.  Cut the fuck out of the thumb on my left hand..... They finished the song, and Bowie tried to get me up on stage, but security wouldn't allow it.  He probably would have just tried to fuck me in the butt or something.  I wouldn't have let him.  Good concert.  I still have the scar.  I just tried to take a pic of it, but it won't show up on a fone cam.  oh well....

Well, I do. And most of you are fags, soooooo........
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-10-24, 21:47

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Fuck.

Why? Honest question- between traffic, parking, other atuff to do... I'd much rather they be downtown. I don't see a positive side to auburn hills.

Family business will suffer. And you don't have to worry about traffic and parking. Take the shuttle, you can bring your beer on the bus.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy 2016-10-24, 21:53

Turtleneck wrote:

Now that I'm re-remembering this, we camped out all night at some place in downtown East Lansing. Must have been 89, or 90 probably???? When was Bowie at the Palace back then? I'm sure I have the concert ticket, and a guitar pick, packed away downstairs somewhere, but I've forgotten all about this. good times.... Camping out for concert tickets in college was fucking fun. Fuck that shit for real nowadays though. I'll just pay 8X's face on stub hub when I'm drunk as balls, and then say fuck it, and not go, and give them away to a shitty NCAA QB.

WBH might get that joke.
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-24, 21:57

tTy wrote:Now that I'm re-remembering this, we camped out all night at some place in downtown East Lansing. Must have been 89, or 90 probably???? When was Bowie at the Palace back then? I'm sure I have the concert ticket, and a guitar pick, packed away downstairs somewhere, but I've forgotten all about this. good times.... Camping out for concert tickets in college was fucking fun. Fuck that shit for real nowadays though. I'll just pay 8X's face on stub hub when I'm drunk as balls, and then say fuck it, and not go, and give them away to a shitty NCAA QB.

WBH might get that joke.

I slept on the sidewalk at the Joe more than once for tickets. I've got a trove of concert tickets from the 70s and 80s. My kids couldn't believe the price for shows back then. $5-$8 for 2 good bands.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-24, 22:01

Turtleneck wrote:

Kind of went off the cliff there
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-10-24, 22:06

tTy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Now that I'm re-remembering this, we camped out all night at some place in downtown East Lansing. Must have been 89, or 90 probably???? When was Bowie at the Palace back then? I'm sure I have the concert ticket, and a guitar pick, packed away downstairs somewhere, but I've forgotten all about this. good times.... Camping out for concert tickets in college was fucking fun. Fuck that shit for real nowadays though. I'll just pay 8X's face on stub hub when I'm drunk as balls, and then say fuck it, and not go, and give them away to a shitty NCAA QB.

WBH might get that joke.

Some of the best times were camping out, tag teaming or going all night on your own and being the hero when you brought the groups tickets back. Funny but none of us thought of stub hub after all the time we scrambled for tickets.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-10-24, 22:14

DWags wrote:
tTy wrote:

WBH might get that joke.

Some of the best times were camping out, tag teaming or going all night on your own and being the hero when you brought the groups tickets back. Funny but none of us thought of stub hub after all the time we scrambled for tickets.

Will you people stop openly fantasizing about David Bowie?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-24, 22:22

DWags wrote:
tTy wrote:

WBH might get that joke.

We cared back then Wags, we wouldn't sell our school out for a farthing.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-10-26, 15:27

Sources: Pistons move could be announced within days

Official word that the Detroit Pistons will move to downtown Detroit for the 2017-18 season could come within days, if final details can be worked out, sources close to the discussions said.

Talks have continued this week between the Pistons' ownership and Olympia Entertainment on moving the basketball team as it prepares to open its upcoming home season on Friday.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-26, 15:40

Floyd Robertson wrote:Sources: Pistons move could be announced within days

Official word that the Detroit Pistons will move to downtown Detroit for the 2017-18 season could come within days, if final details can be worked out, sources close to the discussions said.

Talks have continued this week between the Pistons' ownership and Olympia Entertainment on moving the basketball team as it prepares to open its upcoming home season on Friday.

cheers cheers cheers
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-10-26, 15:44

Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Sorry Duffy

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-26, 15:45

shocking private equity guy trying to make bank of of team
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-26, 15:57

Blanch32 wrote:shocking private equity guy trying to make bank of of team

What the fuck are you doing slumming over here??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-26, 15:59

why isn't duff for this?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-10-26, 16:00

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:why isn't duff for this?

Family business near the palace. It's a few posts up
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-10-26, 16:02

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:why isn't duff for this?

Hoops?! I've been there plenty of times! Love the shuttle/dig the place but hate the fact that is the best pre-whatever atmosphere you can get around there.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-10-26, 16:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Hoops?! I've been there plenty of times! Love the shuttle/dig the place but hate the fact that is the best pre-whatever atmosphere you can get around there.

I used to go into that place and the Martin's Nest before the Palace was even built.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-10-26, 16:22

LooseGoose wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:shocking private equity guy trying to make bank of of team

This isn't sports, and I'm bi-board. save my exclusive sports takes for tbasement

What the fuck are you doing slumming over here??
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2016-10-26, 20:39

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Yep.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2016-10-26, 22:37

So Gores will just pay rent to Ilitch and it will be a better financial decision than staying at the Palace that he owns? Bill Davidson must be rolling in his grave.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2016-10-27, 09:14

By-Tor wrote:So Gores will just pay rent to Ilitch and it will be a better financial decision than staying at the Palace that he owns? Bill Davidson must be rolling in his grave.

When Bill Davidson built the Palace the Ilitch family had options on land and architectural drawings in the works to build a new Little Ceasars HQ complex in the suburbs similar to Dominoe Farms. All that changed when they bought the Tigers in '92 and started looking for land for a new baseball stadium. The Ilitch's used their clout as Red Wings owners and JLA's operating managers and major tennant to get the approvals to build Comerica Park and part of that deal was relocating Little Ceasars HQ to the Fox Theater.

Makes a lot of sense for Gores to pay rent so the Pistons can return to Detroit for the Pistons' ledger. But i remember seeing some numbers after Gores had purchased the Pistons and Davidson's entertainment business/venues during the NBA strike that Piston attendance was so bad scheduling more concerts at the Palace could be more profitable because Gores wasn't paying Piston player salaries. Once the strike was settled all the salary costs were back along with costs of flipping between concerts and basketball.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next